40 Percent Of Europeans Have Mental Illness

blogstagefright2The percentage will only increase, with an aging population, the stresses of modern life, et cetera, which leads to the question: What happens when the majority of the public across an entire continent are classified as ‘mentally ill’? Via Reuters:

Europeans are plagued by mental and neurological illnesses, with almost 165 million people or 38 percent of the population suffering each year from a brain disorder such as depression, anxiety, insomnia or dementia, according to a large new study.

With only about a third of cases receiving the therapy or medication needed, mental illnesses cause a huge economic and social burden — measured in the hundreds of billions of euros — as sufferers become too unwell to work and personal relationships break down.

“The immense treatment gap … for mental disorders has to be closed,” said Hans Ulrich Wittchen, director of the institute of clinical psychology and psychotherapy at Germany’s Dresden University and the lead investigator on the European study.

Wittchen led a three-year study covering 30 European countries — the 27 European Union member states plus Switzerland, Iceland and Norway — and a population of 514 million people. Wittchen said that in Europe, that grim future had arrived early, with diseases of the brain already the single largest contributor to the EU’s burden of ill health.

80 Comments on "40 Percent Of Europeans Have Mental Illness"

1. Drinky McGee | Sep 6, 2011 at 6:00 pm |

Essentially, we’ve taken every negative moment in our lives and turned it into a disease.  With some severe exceptions, what most of these people are suffering from is called “life”. Stop whining and move forward.

2. Drinky McGee | Sep 6, 2011 at 2:00 pm |

• Jin The Ninja | Sep 6, 2011 at 2:22 pm |

Well that is ONE very narrow way of reading it; another is that our contemporary capitalist society itself is so antithetical to the human condition (cultural sickness), it induces mental illness in large swaths of it’s populace. People are not meant to be endless cogs in a giant consumerist machine with no connections to the world or eachother.

• The question that doesn’t get asked often enough is whether it’s healthy to acclimate oneself to a society that is neurotic at best.

• Jin The Ninja | Sep 6, 2011 at 2:32 pm |

Exactly. narcissism is the accepted psychological norm, and people who reject the way things are- are the “sick” ones.

• ChangLee's | Sep 6, 2011 at 4:09 pm |

I’m having this printed and placed into a percentage of our fortune cookies. Would you endorse this for us?

• Tuna Ghost | Sep 7, 2011 at 6:57 am |

It’s not my fault I’m a narcissist.  I was born this ridiculously gorgeous and awesome.  I can’t be blamed for being the center of the universe, I didn’t make things this way.

• Anarchy Pony | Sep 6, 2011 at 2:55 pm |

I don’t think I could have said it better my self.

• Drinky McGee | Sep 6, 2011 at 3:59 pm |

Either that, or people are letting the drug companies snow them into thinking they’re “sick” so that they can sell them lots of pretty pills.

• Anarchy Pony | Sep 6, 2011 at 4:20 pm |

None of us are suggesting pills are the answer half wit, but neither do we think it is just “people whining”.

• 99prozent | Sep 7, 2011 at 1:54 am |

I am replying a bit late but i just had to add that both of you, Jin and Drinky have a valid point. First, this way of living in a society that equates “consumer” with “person” makes us sick. a society where greediness sees to be a valid and game-winning survival-strategy IS sick!
        But secondly, many so called “illnesses” are just names in a manual. Look at all the kids who are medicated because they are “hyperactive”, cannot sit still or don’t like to be in school… early medication with psychopharmaceuticals may be a contributing factor to those findings. at least it is a question that i would like to have answered.

• they may induce it, but nobody but the individual is to blame when they are so dumb they accept everything they are told.  besides, the people with the mental illnesses are too busy abusing others within the society, the same way they were abused themselves… and they love every minute of it… and their pills.

• Jin The Ninja | Sep 8, 2011 at 12:20 pm |

“individual is to blame…”

hmm sounds like a neo-con response.

“no society? no problem! viva capitalism!”

is that really what you meant??

• and that society in turn publicizes all the new mental diseases, pushes and commercializes all the medications which can “get you out of the dark” etc. So the giant pharmaceutical companies can keep their power and get even more money over time.  All the while spreading awareness making people think they’ve got it and psychologically believing it so much they give it to themselves. and of course you go with society life’s shit you go against it you get shit on. that all causes self doubt, anxiety of what to do, depression of your situation, sleeplessness thinking about it, and early dementia from all of you lost thoughts turning to delusions, turning to insanity, and all because you hated the system but were forced to be a cog.

• I can’t say I value the psychological opinion of someone who gives himself the first name “Drinky” very highly.

3. Anonymous | Sep 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm |

• DeepCough | Sep 6, 2011 at 4:19 pm |

So y’all know, this documentary is from the CCHR, so take it for what’s it worth.

• DrugsAreBadMmmmKay | Sep 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm |

I will just smoke pot thank you very much.

• Or…. Smoke pot AND watch the documentary. That way, you may learn something while getting high, effectively reduceing the sterotype of a stupid stoner.

• erm what stereoype is that Andy? The one fed to you by the crazy nutters in power and their lapdog media? Smoking pot increases critical thinking, as well as your aural and visual perception too, ergo, smoking more would probably improve your spelling 🙂

4. Anonymous | Sep 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm |

5. Anonymous | Sep 6, 2011 at 6:32 pm |

6. Wanooski | Sep 6, 2011 at 6:55 pm |

I don’t think I could have said it better my self.

7. What better tool for control could there possibly be than to claim someone is “sick” and needs “care”?

8. What better tool for control could there possibly be than to claim someone is “sick” and needs “care”?

9. Wanooski | Sep 6, 2011 at 7:21 pm |

That they are in “danger” and need “security”?

10. Anonymous | Sep 6, 2011 at 7:38 pm |

thank you!

11. I can’t say I value the psychological opinion of someone who gives himself the first name “Drinky” very highly.

12. Drinky McGee | Sep 6, 2011 at 7:58 pm |

But if I call myself Prozac, I bet that would be fine.

13. Drinky McGee | Sep 6, 2011 at 7:59 pm |

14. ChangLee's | Sep 6, 2011 at 8:09 pm |

15. DeepCough | Sep 6, 2011 at 8:19 pm |

16. Wanooski | Sep 6, 2011 at 8:20 pm |

17. DeepCough | Sep 6, 2011 at 8:21 pm |

This all bullshit. Mental illness IS NOT brain disease, not even the American surgeon general agreed during the Clinton administration that there was any connection between the brain and mental illness. This is just more industrial propaganda to sell drugs that people really don’t need. By law, not even the state I live in agrees that neurological problems are psychological problems, and it doesn’t help that there is no sound aetiology for mental illness at the chemical level, either.

18. DeepCough | Sep 6, 2011 at 4:21 pm |

19. DrugsAreBadMmmmKay | Sep 6, 2011 at 8:38 pm |

I will just smoke pot thank you very much.

20. DeepCough | Sep 6, 2011 at 8:43 pm |

I prefer the name “Drinky McGee” to “Pill-Poppin’ Sandy.”

21. numbers don’t matter when the small group of crazy people can get the mass to accept they’re the crazy ones

22. numbers don’t matter when the small group of crazy people can get the mass to accept they’re the crazy ones

23. Naah.. Maybe “Therapy.”

24. E.B. Wolf | Sep 6, 2011 at 10:07 pm |

During Stalin’s Great Purge, Soviet security chief Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria said, “Show me the man and I’ll find you the crime.”

It looks to me like the legal drug cartels and their employees in the legislative and psychiatric industries have paid close attention to how effective and lucrative that mindset can be.

25. E.B. Wolf | Sep 6, 2011 at 6:07 pm |

26. E.B. Wolf | Sep 6, 2011 at 10:11 pm |

Both work quite well; especially when used together. When you’re looking to rewire a house, you don’t just use a pair of pliers.

27. Or…. Smoke pot AND watch the documentary. That way, you may learn something while getting high, effectively reduceing the sterotype of a stupid stoner.

28. Only 40%?  The Homeland of the Free can beat that number any day.  Over 90% of the Homeland politicians are menially ill but the general population is only about half nuts.

29. BuzzCoastin | Sep 6, 2011 at 10:23 pm |

30. Shakethatthing | Sep 7, 2011 at 2:55 am |

I agree with Drinky McGee and will add that we all need to get up off the sofa and take an activist role in changing government, education and society. There’s power in numbers.

31. Shakethatthing | Sep 6, 2011 at 10:55 pm |

32. Anonymous | Sep 7, 2011 at 5:54 am |

33. After years of research we’ve determined this shocking revelation!!! 90% of humans periodically or frequently suffer from the horror of variable emotional states, sometimes including sadness or angst, grief or terror, rage or dolor and other unhealthy unnatural states of being.

The other ten percent are batshit fucking insane disconnected sociopaths whose absence of emotion or empathy makes them a threat to everyone else.

34. After years of research we’ve determined this shocking revelation!!! 90% of humans periodically or frequently suffer from the horror of variable emotional states, sometimes including sadness or angst, grief or terror, rage or dolor and other unhealthy unnatural states of being.

35. Tuna Ghost | Sep 7, 2011 at 7:52 am |

Yeah, and that disease is called “Socialism”!  Rimshot

See that?  Totally stole the line from half the right-wing people here.  Right out from under ’em.

36. Tuna Ghost | Sep 7, 2011 at 3:52 am |

Yeah, and that disease is called “Socialism”!  Rimshot

37. Well 100% of bankers in the City of London are psycopathic sociopaths, so yeah, I can quite easily believe the figures..

38. Well 100% of bankers in the City of London are psycopathic sociopaths, so yeah, I can quite easily believe the figures..

39. erm what stereoype is that Andy? The one fed to you by the crazy nutters in power and their lapdog media? Smoking pot increases critical thinking, as well as your aural and visual perception too, ergo, smoking more would probably improve your spelling 🙂

40. Tuna Ghost | Sep 7, 2011 at 10:57 am |

41. R.E. the documentary link posted.. just to clarify for those unaware of who the CCHR are: Church of Scientology front group. L.R.H. was
    staunchly against psychiatry, but somehow believed billion-year old alien souls
    inhabit our bodies. Kinda ironic that we’re talking about what the definition
    of crazy is…

I’m not saying that big pharma hasn’t completely corrupted
    the medical profession, in particular mental health. As a victim of the
    dangerous chemicals called psychiatric drugs, I know all too well what a bunch
    of incompetent cranks most psychiatrists are. But I’ve know enough people with
    some pretty serious mental illnesses (severe depression, OCD, schizophrenia) who’ve
    been helped enormously.

But that doesn’t excuse the mass prescription of ill-studied
    and poorly understood chemicals to the majority of the population, especially
    to children and adolescents.

Humans are social animals and I firmly believe that it is
    the appalling quality of our relationships and social interactions that have
    made so many of us so very unhappy.

My FREE prescription for those feeling lonely, depressed or
    anxious: BUY A DOG!

I’m not even joking. I just gave my dog a big hug and she
    wagged her tail and licked my face.
    I feel MUCH better now.

42. Mrtchops | Sep 7, 2011 at 7:44 am |

staunchly against psychiatry, but somehow believed billion-year old alien souls
    inhabit our bodies. Kinda ironic that we’re talking about what the definition
    of crazy is…

I’m not saying that big pharma hasn’t completely corrupted
    the medical profession, in particular mental health. As a victim of the
    dangerous chemicals called psychiatric drugs, I know all too well what a bunch
    of incompetent cranks most psychiatrists are. But I’ve know enough people with
    been helped enormously.

But that doesn’t excuse the mass prescription of ill-studied
    and poorly understood chemicals to the majority of the population, especially
    to children and adolescents.

Humans are social animals and I firmly believe that it is
    the appalling quality of our relationships and social interactions that have
    made so many of us so very unhappy.

My FREE prescription for those feeling lonely, depressed or
    anxious: BUY A DOG!

I’m not even joking. I just gave my dog a big hug and she
    wagged her tail and licked my face.
    I feel MUCH better now.

43. Mrtchops | Sep 7, 2011 at 7:44 am |

staunchly against psychiatry, but somehow believed billion-year old alien souls
    inhabit our bodies. Kinda ironic that we’re talking about what the definition
    of crazy is…

I’m not saying that big pharma hasn’t completely corrupted
    the medical profession, in particular mental health. As a victim of the
    dangerous chemicals called psychiatric drugs, I know all too well what a bunch
    of incompetent cranks most psychiatrists are. But I’ve know enough people with
    been helped enormously.

But that doesn’t excuse the mass prescription of ill-studied
    and poorly understood chemicals to the majority of the population, especially
    to children and adolescents.

Humans are social animals and I firmly believe that it is
    the appalling quality of our relationships and social interactions that have
    made so many of us so very unhappy.

My FREE prescription for those feeling lonely, depressed or
    anxious: BUY A DOG!

I’m not even joking. I just gave my dog a big hug and she
    wagged her tail and licked my face.
    I feel MUCH better now.

44. Madrogmad | Sep 7, 2011 at 2:04 pm |

Google Dr. Thomas Szasz.

45. Wanooski | Sep 7, 2011 at 3:50 pm |

High fives!

46. yeah its called sanity

47. yeah its called sanity

48. they may induce it, but nobody but the individual is to blame when they are so dumb they accept everything they are told.  besides, the people with the mental illnesses are too busy abusing others within the society, the same way they were abused themselves… and they love every minute of it… and their pills.

49. they may induce it, but nobody but the individual is to blame when they are so dumb they accept everything they are told.  besides, the people with the mental illnesses are too busy abusing others within the society, the same way they were abused themselves… and they love every minute of it… and their pills.

50. Anonymous | Sep 8, 2011 at 4:20 pm |

“individual is to blame…”

hmm sounds like a neo-con response.

“no society? no problem! viva capitalism!”

is that really what you meant??

51. and that society in turn publicizes all the new mental diseases, pushes and commercializes all the medications which can “get you out of the dark” etc. So the giant pharmaceutical companies can keep their power and get even more money over time.  All the while spreading awareness making people think they’ve got it and psychologically believing it so much they give it to themselves. and of course you go with society life’s shit you go against it you get shit on. that all causes self doubt, anxiety of what to do, depression of your situation, sleeplessness thinking about it, and early dementia from all of you lost thoughts turning to delusions, turning to insanity, and all because you hated the system but were forced to be a cog.

52. Anonymous | Sep 17, 2011 at 9:35 am |

I don’t know the main cause about it but yes i have also read in so many other area that the large number of Europeans are suffering from a mental illness. I liked your post so much that I have searched more about this to conclude some reasons. Thank you for sharing this.
    free diagnosis