Gibson Guitars Vs. the U.S. Government

GibsonVia Brooklyn Vegan and Gibson.com:

The Federal Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. has suggested that the use of wood from India that is not finished by Indian workers is illegal, not because of U.S. law, but because it is the Justice Department’s interpretation of a law in India. (If the same wood from the same tree was finished by Indian workers, the material would be legal.) This action was taken without the support and consent of the government in India.

On August 24, 2011, around 8:45 a.m. CDT, agents for the federal government executed four search warrants on Gibson’s facilities in Nashville and Memphis and seized several pallets of wood, electronic files and guitars. Gibson had to cease its manufacturing operations and send workers home for the day, while armed agents executed the search warrants. Gibson has fully cooperated with the execution of the search warrants.

More on Brooklyn Vegan

43 Comments on "Gibson Guitars Vs. the U.S. Government"

1. This all makes total sense to me. Obviously.

2. This all makes total sense to me. Obviously.

3. It makes sense when you consider whose political campaigns Gibson donates to.  If I am not mistaken, and I may very well be but I was reading about this earlier today, Gibson is a Republican political donor and one of their competitors, who uses the same wood, is a Democrat donor.  So it seems like this is dirty political thuggery at work.  The story I read mentioned Madagascar, however, and not India, so I am not certain I have this story correct.

4. It makes sense when you consider whose political campaigns Gibson donates to.  If I am not mistaken, and I may very well be but I was reading about this earlier today, Gibson is a Republican political donor and one of their competitors, who uses the same wood, is a Democrat donor.  So it seems like this is dirty political thuggery at work.  The story I read mentioned Madagascar, however, and not India, so I am not certain I have this story correct.

• Tuna Ghost | Sep 8, 2011 at 2:48 am |

Companies get rosewood from both countries (or at least did), and the shipping regulations are very similar, i.e. the wood has to be worked on only in the country of origin before being shipped to the states.

Interesting theory about Repubs v.s. Dems.  Never expected my guitar to have political affiliations, but go figure. When you’re a politician, everything else in the world is about politics.

• It is Madagascar, and the issue is largely about rare woods.  If you could afford a guitar made of rare wood it would be an issue. But why make a guitar out of rare wood, unless you are catering to rich douchebags?  Meanwhile the Amazon rainforest is being decimated for your soy burgers at McDonalds.  Fuck the capitalists.  I hope they die a slow death at the hands of the proletariat.

• do not disturb | Sep 8, 2011 at 7:22 am |

i hope they die a fast death and fade away as quick as possible

• shaded07018 | Nov 19, 2011 at 5:45 am |

Not all instruments are made equal…

Exotic bodies are more than likely to be made with top-notch, high quality components and mechanisms. The source of music is paramount.

You may not be able to recognize the differences in quality of vast materials, but I promise it’s like night and day.

It is of importance.. If it weren’t, than music would be 1/2 ass’d. And why go that route?

• shaded07018 | Nov 19, 2011 at 5:40 am |

This country has documents…

… If you aren’t aware of them, perhaps you should look them up and educate yourself.

If ACORN and the ACLU and NAACP and BET and La Raza… (I could prolly name 10 more off the top of my head) donates money to the left wing socialist party… Why the double standard?

Seriously sick of the liberal hypocrisy.. Enough is enough!

5. Hadrian999 | Sep 8, 2011 at 2:39 am |

great story for the eve of obama’s job creation speech

6. Hadrian999 | Sep 7, 2011 at 10:39 pm |

great story for the eve of obama’s job creation speech

7. O.o What what??? Seriously? You take our pot from us, and our geetars now too?! DAMN! This man is office is NOT BLACK! Lordy mercy, he must paint his face every morning!

8. O.o What what??? Seriously? You take our pot from us, and our geetars now too?! DAMN! This man is office is NOT BLACK! Lordy mercy, he must paint his face every morning!

9. It’s not my initial impulse to say this, but I think the government is right in doing this. Gibson has been busted for this kind of thing before. I’ve dealt with them personally (on a professional level,) and can attest that they’re an amoral corporation that is not above using underhanded tactics. They will try to get away with anything they can, and if they can fuck you over, they will.

Also, Zycerin, stop being racist. Not cool.

10. It’s not my initial impulse to say this, but I think the government is right in doing this. Gibson has been busted for this kind of thing before. I’ve dealt with them personally (on a professional level,) and can attest that they’re an amoral corporation that is not above using underhanded tactics. They will try to get away with anything they can, and if they can fuck you over, they will.

Also, Zycerin, stop being racist. Not cool.

• HAH! Your funny!

I know nothing of dealing with Gibson on a professional level man, BUT I do know I like a few things in life…
      like, pot, GIBSONS, and Blues. Those aren’t the only things but they are a big part of me, so stop taking everything so fucking seriously.

• Tuna Ghost | Sep 8, 2011 at 2:45 am |

Be that as it may, one has to wonder if such a small difference in opinion of a shipping regulation that apparently not even India cares about is worth the work the FBI is doing.  Apparently anyone who buys one of the guitars is guilty of obstruction or abetting a crime or something like that.  I keep wondering what the payoff for the Feds is.

• shaded07018 | Nov 19, 2011 at 5:48 am |

You bring up a good point… However, why is only Gibson targeted? They were hit up for the exact same thing in 2002 I believe… and again recently..

But, why only Gibson?

11. HAH! Your funny!

12. Tuna Ghost | Sep 8, 2011 at 6:45 am |

13. Tuna Ghost | Sep 8, 2011 at 6:48 am |

14. It is Madagascar, and the issue is largely about rare woods.  If you could afford a guitar made of rare wood it would be an issue. But why make a guitar out of rare wood, unless you are catering to rich douchebags?  Meanwhile the Amazon rainforest is being decimated for your soy burgers at McDonalds.  Fuck the capitalists.  I hope they die a slow death at the hands of the proletariat.

15. Anthony Ruiz | Sep 8, 2011 at 10:31 am |

16. Anthony Ruiz | Sep 8, 2011 at 10:31 am |

17. Of all the problems in the country, I can not believe our Government actually has the time to do something like this!! It doesn’t matter who is in office.. WHEN are you gonna have enough people!!!?? Sometimes I hope that this whole thing is over in 2012 because it just doesn’t seem to ever get better.

18. do not disturb | Sep 8, 2011 at 11:22 am |

i hope they die a fast death and fade away as quick as possible

19. Tuna Ghost | Sep 8, 2011 at 2:51 pm |

Way to go, FBI!  Finally someone was brave enough to take on these immoral bastards for not following the US’s interpretation of Indian manufacturing and shipping regulations.  By the way, how’s that Wall Street investigation going?

20. Tuna Ghost | Sep 8, 2011 at 10:51 am |

21. Eflamberson | Sep 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm |

There is no conspiracy against Henry. They have got popped for shenanigans a couple of times before, so they should know better by now. They are under scrutiny. Gibson has a poor reputation amongst its employees, as well. They were rated as one of the worst companies to work for in the US, so an employee probably ratted them out.

22. Eflamberson | Sep 8, 2011 at 12:24 pm |

23. d'artanian | Sep 14, 2011 at 4:09 pm |

The government owes Gibson an apology and compensation.

24. d'artanian | Sep 14, 2011 at 12:09 pm |

The government owes Gibson an apology and compensation.

25. Metalhead8793 | Sep 20, 2011 at 7:50 pm |

ok so now the government has to fight with a guitar company..its not like they could be wasting thier time doing somthing better or anything..

26. Metalhead8793 | Sep 20, 2011 at 3:50 pm |

• shaded07018 | Nov 19, 2011 at 5:47 am |

Like deporting illegal aliens?

….Well, for Obama it’s passing worker permits out to illegal aliens…

27. shaded07018 | Nov 19, 2011 at 9:35 am |

Fkn retarded… I heard about this on Glenn Beck I believe.

Our govt. makes no damn sense!

28. shaded07018 | Nov 19, 2011 at 5:35 am |

Fkn retarded… I heard about this on Glenn Beck I believe.

Our govt. makes no damn sense!

29. shaded07018 | Nov 19, 2011 at 9:36 am |

This is fkn retarded!!

Our govt. doesn’t make sense …prolly 98% of the time.

30. shaded07018 | Nov 19, 2011 at 5:36 am |

This is fkn retarded!!

Our govt. doesn’t make sense …prolly 98% of the time.

31. shaded07018 | Nov 19, 2011 at 9:40 am |

This country has documents…

Seriously sick of the liberal hypocrisy.. Enough is enough!

32. shaded07018 | Nov 19, 2011 at 9:45 am |

Not all instruments are made equal…

33. shaded07018 | Nov 19, 2011 at 9:47 am |

Like deporting illegal aliens?

….Well, for Obama it’s passing worker permits out to illegal aliens…

34. shaded07018 | Nov 19, 2011 at 9:48 am |