Goldman Sachs Rules The World

The trader who went on BBC News and admitted that banks rule the world, not governments, appears to have the media reeling, not sure whether or not to believe this brazen bit of truth-telling.

New York Magazine’s Daily Intel summarizes the confusion:

A trader by the name of Alessio Rastani told a shocked BBC News reporter yesterday, “The governments don’t rule the world, Goldman Sachs rules the world.” He warned, “The savings of millions of people are going to vanish,” and said viewers should “get prepared” because the “economic crisis is like a cancer, if you just wait and wait thinking this will go away, just like a cancer it’s going to grow and it’s going to be too late.” He added, “I have a confession: I go to bed every night and I dream of another recession, I dream of another moment like this.” Such frank (psychopathic?) language earned Rastani attention from news outlets like theHuffington Post, the Guardian, and the Daily Mail, but the chatter on Twitter is crying hoax. (Update: It appears to be legit! See below for more info.)

BBC Business Editor Robert Peston wrote this morning on Twitter, “BBC (& I) may have been hoaxed by YesMen,” referring to the culture jamming group that touts itself as, “impersonating big-time criminals in order to publicly humiliate them. Our targets are leaders and big corporations who put profits ahead of everything else.” Peston and the Internet’s doubters pointed to this Yes Men stunt, which features a fake Dow Chemical spokesman who bears some resemblance to Rastani, the trader.

Peston has since defended the BBC guest: “We spoke to the trader again this morning, & as far as we can tell he is a genuine independent trader, not a member of YesMen.”

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

68 Comments on "Goldman Sachs Rules The World"

1. Interesting…..

He comes across honestly enough and to anyone who uses an iota of their cognitive abilities already knew that the real power is with banks and corporations.  Not sure what he believes is going to happen exactly in the next year where he feels he needs to warn people to protect their assets or lose their savings but it’s sent a shiver of fear through me.

2. Interesting…..

3. That is because you are a coward

4. And you are in denial

5. GreenMachine | Sep 27, 2011 at 4:29 pm |

This douchebag and people like him are the problem: “I dream of making
    money off of the next collapse…” Fuck you, asshole…would not want your karma. The whole system is corrupt, from top to bottom, including sleazebags like this guy. And for all we know, he is helping to spread disinfo in the hopes of increasing his own chances of making even more profit. From one make-believe “crisis” to the next, we continue to support those who simultaneously create and corrupt the system by making and breaking the rules. And we let them do it. Money? There is no such thing as money…it is a concept…the greatest hoax in the history of humanity. That is what people need to wake up to, not the ramblings of this fucking asshole and others like him.

6. GreenMachine | Sep 27, 2011 at 12:29 pm |

This douchebag and people like him are the problem: “I dream of making

7. Refreshing to actually hear someone say it out loud and have it reported.

8. Refreshing to actually hear someone say it out loud and have it reported.

9. hmmm…..and marijuana could also potentially cure this cancer.

10. hmmm…..and marijuana could also potentially cure this cancer.

• You gotta get the pot to the cancer cells though, and our society has ischemia all over the place preventing that.

• ScorchTheBanks | Sep 27, 2011 at 3:28 pm |

Not really part of the topic here, but thought I would chime in.

I just spent the past 10 days trying to acquire a pound of good organic marijuana. After spending around $3000 on it I was able to dissolve it, filter it, render it down and create a good oil rather easily. (You need good ventilation though.)

I then measured the proper dosages of oil and placed each one into empty gel capsules.

All of this was done to help my aunt who’s suffering from lung cancer. She doesn’t know what I’m giving her, I told her it was an organic herb that is 100% natural. (Not being dishonest)

After only 3 days she is starting to feel much better. Her lung capacity has improved along with her appetite, mood, personality and color, all much better 🙂

So bottom line: Yes, IMHO marijuana can cure cancer.

On topic: Yes, this very well may be a viable marking strategy, but does it mean it’s right? I would say no.

• Anarchy Pony | Sep 27, 2011 at 3:07 pm |

So could a bullet or two.

11. Jonathan Fields | Sep 27, 2011 at 5:14 pm |

To be fair it seems that this guy is an `independent trader’ who is peddling an approach to make money based on imminent doom and gloom.

12. Jonathan Fields | Sep 27, 2011 at 1:14 pm |

13. Cannot say it surprises me but this is why I have joined The Venus Project and The Zeitgeist Movement.

14. Candace McFarland | Sep 27, 2011 at 1:50 pm |

• Holding_it_down420 | Sep 28, 2011 at 12:49 am |

ive heard that is a scam as well, people presenting their opinions as if it is fact, True they do have some factual info…. but it is to persuade you to their cause…. research it.

15. Sorry buddy, but people like me are going to see to it that your money counts for exactly jack shit when it hits the fan.

16. Anarchy Pony | Sep 27, 2011 at 1:52 pm |

17. And that is a rather pointlessly rude and baseless accusation.

18. Its a viable market strategy

19. You gotta get the pot to the cancer cells though, and our society has ischemia all over the place preventing that.

20. So could a bullet or two.

21. ScorchTheBanks | Sep 27, 2011 at 7:28 pm |

Not really part of the topic here, but thought I would chime in.

So bottom line: Yes, IMHO marijuana can cure cancer.

22. FightBack | Sep 27, 2011 at 8:51 pm |

There is a way out of this – TAKE all of your money out of these so called Investment Firm

23. FightBack | Sep 27, 2011 at 4:51 pm |

24. Aren’t the Yes Men just those two guys? And this guy isn’t either of them.

25. Anarchy Pony | Sep 27, 2011 at 4:56 pm |

Aren’t the Yes Men just those two guys? And this guy isn’t either of them.

26. Jonathan Fields | Sep 27, 2011 at 9:00 pm |

I agree with you, but just mean to say that his demeanor and comments seem a lot less surprising to me when looking  at him as a salesman rather than someone breaking ranks!

27. Reptoid74 | Sep 27, 2011 at 9:14 pm |

I’ll just leave this here.

28. Reptoid74 | Sep 27, 2011 at 9:14 pm |

I’ll just leave this here.

29. Reptoid74 | Sep 27, 2011 at 5:14 pm |

I’ll just leave this here.

30. Sean Connery | Sep 27, 2011 at 9:38 pm |

Anyone who openly hopes for the complete financial collapse of a society for his own financial benefit is a parasite, or to use his own term, a cancer.

The sad part is that I semi-understand where he’s coming from.  If he or any individual is smart enough to be prepared for any sort of disaster, then more money and power to them.  He sees total collapse coming and he’s telling people to prepare for it and that he’s going to be prepared and he’s going to try and make as much money as he can.  Unfortunately in this world, when we get so low we get passed the Utopian dreams and questions of our own morality, it’s survival of the fittest.  I admit, if we were to experience a large scale disaster, I would try and provide and protect and help my own family and friends using any means necessary, and damn anyone that tries to get in my way.  At least he’s honest.

Still, watching the video, I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

31. Sean Connery | Sep 27, 2011 at 5:38 pm |

Still, watching the video, I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

32. BBC > American media

33. BBC > American media

34. BBC > American media

35. Anonymous | Sep 27, 2011 at 11:48 pm |

lol u mad

36. Anonymous | Sep 27, 2011 at 11:48 pm |

lol u mad

37. Anonymous | Sep 28, 2011 at 12:02 am |

Thanks, I needed a laugh that wasn’t bitter.

38. I think he’s mad bro.

39. hooray for death to us all.

40. hooray for death to us all.

41. tenacious | Sep 28, 2011 at 4:45 am |

You are no better than the banks and corporations, spreading negativety.

42. Holding_it_down420 | Sep 28, 2011 at 4:49 am |

43. Anonymous | Sep 28, 2011 at 7:28 am |

kind of funny… i just did a search for “making money in a down market” and came up with this little gem from 2006. http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/03/real_estate/profiting_down_market/

Yeah – cancer is what comes to mind, that or AIDS.

44. sonicbphuct | Sep 28, 2011 at 3:28 am |

Yeah – cancer is what comes to mind, that or AIDS.

45. Monkey See Monkey Do | Sep 28, 2011 at 8:37 am |

haha….that was great.

46. Monkey See Monkey Do | Sep 28, 2011 at 8:43 am |

no offence Honu. I get fearful too. Just not from television.

47. Ironaddict06 | Sep 28, 2011 at 5:42 pm |

Wow!  A brazen truth teller from a trader from Goldman Sachs.  A truth that is realized by any competent citizen. This mind set is a disease of the modern-progressive-entrepreneur.  Get rich at the expense of your own people.  In America’s past, entrepreneurs knew that they had the ability to make as much money as possible if they had a product to sell.  Sell more product=make more money.  Not today. Finicial Rape&Pillage=more money.

48. Ironaddict06 | Sep 28, 2011 at 1:42 pm |

49. Anonymous | Sep 29, 2011 at 12:29 pm |

So, there is definitely hope in that mix. Get better politicians, change the laws, and attack those financial institutions, imprison those executives and break up corporations.
    Strip mine wall street in order to rebuild main street. It is not about wealth re-distribution it is all about confiscating the assets of criminals and returning it to their victims.

50. More accurately gullible naive voters rule the world and, as to be expected the psychopaths controlling and manipulating those dolts ensure corrupt politicians get elected.

51. forgetmenot | Oct 5, 2011 at 10:58 pm |

LOL to all the “he’s Mad”, He’s a “hoaxer” comments. so sad that there are people in this world gullible enough to believe that any government runs their own country…or that goldman sacs or this trader care about anything else other than making money. In my limited experience I dont know too many people who go to work just because they love it. In fact I had this very conversation earlier this week with a nurse, who truly loves her job. When I asked if suddenly she stopped getting paid for it would she still do it, she said yes but not the hours…so we all know that we only go to work for money! Step away from media, or spin doctors and look at the world for what it really is! Like the Matrix said we are like parasites, we destroy everything for profit. The problem with the world is simply Profit. Greed, poverty, war, starvation, homelessness, breakdown of social and family communities are all a symptom of profit. There’s enough energy, food, water, in fact everything we need, for everyone if we shared it equally. e.g. Hemp instead of oil, because we can all grow it , use it for fuel, clothing, shelter and food, we can take the huge profits from oil away from the few and divide it amongst the many Eutopia does not exist except in Hollywood or dreams, but if enough people demand it things can change.

52. forgetmenot | Oct 5, 2011 at 6:58 pm |