A most bizarre find from Annalee Newitz of io9.com:
A man in Galway, Ireland apparently died of spontaneous combustion last year in December. At least, according to a court ruling this week. Michael Faherty’s death had been a mystery because coroners and police couldn’t explain how the fire that killed him only seemed to have burned the man and his immediate surroundings.
Spontaneous combustion occurs when a person suddenly catches on fire without any external source of fire causing the blaze. There have been only a few hundred cases recorded throughout the world. The Irish Times reports: West Galway corner Dr Ciarán McLoughlin said he had never encountered such a case in the 25 years that he had been investigating deaths in the region …
More from Annalee Newitz of io9.com
Latest posts by bluemana (see all)
- U.S. Fails on Happy Planet Index - Jun 18, 2012
- Homeless Man in Texas Finds $77,000, Gets to Keep It - Jun 18, 2012
- Male Spider Castrates Himself And Gets More Stamina - Jun 14, 2012