Jew Or Not Jew?

Still available in the good ole USofA … Jessica Ravitz and Saskya Vandoorne report on a bizarre iPhone app for CNN:

“Jew or not Jew?”: That is just part of the question.

An iPhone app bearing this name has been yanked from Apple’s App Store in France amid threats of a lawsuit and demands for its removal.

jew or not jew

The app, still available elsewhere, pulls together a database of thousands of famous Jews – including movie stars, musicians, Nobel Prize winners and more – and offers insights into their backgrounds. Jewish mother? Jewish father? A convert? For $1.99 in the United States, app owners can know.

In an iTunes store description, it says: “Hey, did you know that Bob Dylan is Jewish? Of course I did! But was Marilyn Monroe really Jewish? And what about Harrison Ford? How many times have we had this conversation without being able to know for sure? You can now find the answer.”

The intention was all in fun, app creator Johann Lévy told Le Parisien. The 35-year-old research and development engineer, who is British, French and Jewish, said he doesn’t understand the outcry…

[continues at CNN]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

30 Comments on "Jew Or Not Jew?"

1. Go figure, someone’s getting sued over a jew app. Way to strengthen the stereotype. I think I’ll go piss on a  kippah now, just to be a prick.

2. Go figure, someone’s getting sued over a jew app. Way to strengthen the stereotype. I think I’ll go piss on a  kippah now, just to be a prick.

3. O. Spengler | Sep 16, 2011 at 1:41 pm |

I’m a staunch secularist myself, but in France secularism is being abused to oppress religious freedom.

4. O. Spengler | Sep 16, 2011 at 9:41 am |

5. HA HA H AH AH!!! Holy shit did you make my day!

6. DeepCough | Sep 16, 2011 at 2:28 pm |

I’m afraid this app embodies the two things the French hate: Jews and American culture.

7. DeepCough | Sep 16, 2011 at 10:28 am |

8. ∆∆∆ | Sep 16, 2011 at 5:34 pm |

American Culture? What an oxymoron!

9. ∆∆∆ | Sep 16, 2011 at 1:34 pm |

American Culture? What an oxymoron!

• Hadrian999 | Sep 16, 2011 at 7:11 pm |

George Carlin nailed American culture
      “When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front row seat.”

10. Jumpingoffpoint | Sep 16, 2011 at 6:48 pm |

What the hell…. Where is the apologist from the slave owning family claiming Jews aren’t being discriminated against now?

11. Jumpingoffpoint | Sep 16, 2011 at 2:48 pm |

12. Not quite as existential as “to be, or not to be?”.

13. Anarchy Pony | Sep 16, 2011 at 2:59 pm |

Not quite as existential as “to be, or not to be?”.

14. In_Theory | Sep 16, 2011 at 8:56 pm |

Maybe this is just me, but doesn’t keeping an official registry of Jews seem kind of…odd.

15. In_Theory | Sep 16, 2011 at 4:56 pm |

16. All I’ll say is for 1.7% of the US pop. they sure have a big influence in Media and Finance sectors in America…….

17. All I’ll say is for 1.7% of the US pop. they sure have a big influence in Media and Finance sectors in America…….

• I didn’t know media or finance had quotas to match the general population. I guess you’d suggest that since Jews are only .02% of the world population that they’re over-represented in America and should be culled?

18. DeepCough | Sep 16, 2011 at 9:29 pm |

Hey, times was in France it was the other way around.

19. Hadrian999 | Sep 16, 2011 at 11:11 pm |

George Carlin nailed American culture

20. As a Jew, I think this is a little ridiculous, especially since the author is Jewish. But we’re talking about Europe, and maybe that’s a place where an overconscious awareness is called for where it comes to antisemitism might be called for. So either way, I don’t care if they keep the app or not. But the French love to hate Jews. Jealousy’s a bitch…

21. As a Jew, I think this is a little ridiculous, especially since the author is Jewish. But we’re talking about Europe, and maybe that’s a place where an overconscious awareness is called for where it comes to antisemitism might be called for. So either way, I don’t care if they keep the app or not. But the French love to hate Jews. Jealousy’s a bitch…

22. We’re smart. What are you gonna do?

23. We’re smart. What are you gonna do?

24. God grief has everyone forgotten the holocaust