Man Has Raised His Arm Continuously For 38 Years

mahantamarbhartiji190911_630Is his now-gnarled arm a beacon of peace? A symbol of rejection of earthly pleasures? A crystal-clear example of the insanity of religion? In pondering Amar Mahant’s arm, everyone will see what they want to see — like a Cheeto said to resemble both Jesus and Elvis. Via the West Australian:

In 1970 Amar Mahant [of New Delhi] left his job, family and friends to dedicate himself to his religious beliefs. In 1973, the clerk raised his hand in honour of Hindu deity Shiva – and he hasn’t put it down since. It’s now been 38 years.

Amar’s followers claim his sacrifice is a beacon of peace, while others say he has given up the use of a limb in order to separate himself from the pleasures of mortal life.

Amar’s sacrifice has turned his arm into a useless stump of flesh and bone, with a gnarled hand and unclipped fingernails hanging from the end. He says he experienced years of excruciating pain in order to follow his beliefs, but the pain has now passed. What’s left of his arm is now stuck in the bizarre position, atrophied after years of non-use.

Devotees of Hinuisim will often undergo incredible acts of self-sacrifice, sometimes involving starvation or vows of silence. Many of Amar’s followers have followed suit, raising their own arms for years and even decades.

75 Comments on "Man Has Raised His Arm Continuously For 38 Years"

1. Anonymous | Sep 19, 2011 at 6:07 pm |

So what happens when he goes to sleep?

2. So what happens when he goes to sleep?

3. I can never decide if this kinda thing is a display of strength and stoicism, or a display of shear stupidity in denying that your body has needs.

I guess is its a little of both.

4. I can never decide if this kinda thing is a display of strength and stoicism, or a display of sheer stupidity in denying that your body has needs.

I guess is its a little of both.

5. Rex Vestri | Sep 19, 2011 at 6:14 pm |

I’d say it’s way more the latter than the former.

6. chinagreenelvis | Sep 19, 2011 at 6:15 pm |

This guy always has a hard time in classrooms and auctions.

7. chinagreenelvis | Sep 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm |

This guy always has a hard time in classrooms and auctions.

8. I’d go with ‘insanity of religion.’ :/

9. I’d go with ‘insanity of religion.’ :/

10. he’s so hardcore that he doesn’t sleep…… he waits.

11. yeah i guess after all the tissue dies, and the arm goes numb, there’s only stupid left.

12. Anonymous | Sep 19, 2011 at 6:46 pm |

Power to the people!  Forever!

13. smooth_operator | Sep 19, 2011 at 2:46 pm |

Power to the people!  Forever!

14. what he should do is stick his whole arm up his ass and leave it there for 38 years. I’d be way more impressed.

15. what he should do is stick his whole arm up his ass and leave it there for 38 years. I’d be way more impressed.

16. Mr Kotter Mr Kotter !

17. I’m surprisingly ok with the devoutly religious mortify themselves.

It’s when they start disabling other people that I have a problem.

18. Mr Kotter Mr Kotter !

19. I’m surprisingly ok with the devoutly religious mortifying themselves.

It’s when they start disabling other people that I have a problem.

• Pretty much. He does this to honor his god of choice. He forces nothing onto others.

I have to say, it takes some faith to do what he did. It might be 9/10 stupid, but I prefer to look at the 1/10 strength to honor something above yourself, since there’s always something, even for us Atheists.

20. Why didn’t we hear about this at 25 years? 35 years? 2 weeks?

21. Why didn’t we hear about this at 25 years? 35 years? 2 weeks?

22. Anonymous | Sep 19, 2011 at 7:30 pm |

No Amar, you can’t go to the potty. If you don’t stop raising your hand it will get stuck that way forever.

23. Anonymous | Sep 19, 2011 at 7:30 pm |

24. GoodDoktorBad | Sep 19, 2011 at 3:30 pm |

25. Meh.

It’s been done before.

26. Meh.

It’s been done before.

27. That’s not a recycled chuck norris joke is it?

28. John Smith | Sep 19, 2011 at 8:24 pm |

Say what you will about this and Hinduism, but at least Hindus (generally) aren’t evangelicals who go around ramming their beliefs down peoples’ throats.

29. John Smith | Sep 19, 2011 at 4:24 pm |

30. Anonymous | Sep 19, 2011 at 8:38 pm |

There’s always Jai Maharaj.

31. Anonymous | Sep 19, 2011 at 9:04 pm |

broad strokes =/= truth.

32. Talkswithprayers | Sep 19, 2011 at 10:00 pm |

Its sheer.  You shear a sheep.  Although some might say he could use it.

33. oh it might just be, i feel a little ashamed. Besides, Vin Deisel jokes were always funnier

34. DameOfDeath | Sep 19, 2011 at 11:43 pm |

nice flag pole

35. DameOfDeath | Sep 19, 2011 at 11:43 pm |

nice flag pole

36. DameOfDeath | Sep 19, 2011 at 7:43 pm |

nice flag pole

37. Butter Knife | Sep 20, 2011 at 12:08 am |

Indian Buddhists and Muslims tend to say otherwise.

38. knows it all, buys it all!

39. yeah i said it | Sep 20, 2011 at 12:24 am |

Meh so what? I’v masturbated everyday 5+  times a day for about 8 years now in the name of my sexy religious beliefs. This guy is totally missing out on thing he could be doing with that arm.

40. yeah i said it | Sep 19, 2011 at 8:24 pm |

41. Dubtheworld | Sep 20, 2011 at 1:12 am |

“He had a single dreadlock in honor of lord Shiva”

42. Dubtheworld | Sep 19, 2011 at 9:12 pm |

“He had a single dreadlock in honor of lord Shiva”

43. Anonymous | Sep 20, 2011 at 2:05 am |

Gary Busey once killed a real life dragon… by throwing a unicorn at it.  Busey jokes FTW.

44. Simiantongue | Sep 20, 2011 at 4:03 am |

I bet he says things like “Wasaaaaap!” or “Hey dude!” or “Put er there!” a lot. Those hands in the air people tend to. Not to be prejudiced or judgmental or anything. You can’ t tell me you’ve never noticed. Every time you see someone with their hand in the air they’re saying that.

45. Simiantongue | Sep 20, 2011 at 12:03 am |

46. jasonpaulhayes | Sep 20, 2011 at 12:28 am |

Not Impressed.

47. What is with Indians trying to get into the Guinness Book of World Records?

“In 1970 Amar Mahant [of New Delhi] left his job, family and friends to
    dedicate himself to his religious beliefs. In 1973, the clerk raised his
    hand in honour of Hindu deity Shiva – and he hasn’t put it down since.
    It’s now been 38 years.”

Well, I guess he’s a special case because he’s a nut-job.

48. What is with Indians trying to get into the Guinness Book of World Records?

“In 1970 Amar Mahant [of New Delhi] left his job, family and friends to
    dedicate himself to his religious beliefs. In 1973, the clerk raised his
    hand in honour of Hindu deity Shiva – and he hasn’t put it down since.
    It’s now been 38 years.”

Well, I guess he’s a special case because he’s a nut-job.

49. Anonymous | Sep 20, 2011 at 5:46 am |

50. Tirelo Mabetoa | Sep 20, 2011 at 6:33 am |

ahhhahahahahahaha
    you made me spill my cornflakes

51. A fitting sacrifice to the internets !!

52. thats funny

53. Vigilantius | Sep 21, 2011 at 12:56 pm |

He’s actually sitting in the local TGIF’s trying to get waited on.

54. Vigilantius | Sep 21, 2011 at 8:56 am |

He’s actually sitting in the local TGIF’s trying to get waited on.

55. Wow, and I almost freaked out at the dentist today.

I don’t even got the willpower to do anything about my fat ass. Got to give this guy some points for willpower.

56. Wow, and I almost freaked out at the dentist today.