Marijuana Munchies Won’t Make You Fat

Three hash cakes made with hashish from different Amsterdam coffee shops.

Three hash cakes made with hashish from different Amsterdam coffee shops.

Thanks to some fearless French researchers, we now know that you have nothing to fear from an attack of the munchies, reports Reuters:

Anybody who’s smoked marijuana knows about “the munchies,” that desire to eat everything within reach. But a study from France has found that, surprisingly, pot smokers are actually less likely than non-smokers to pack on weight.

Using data covering more than 50,000 U.S. adults, researchers headed by Yann Le Strat, a psychiatrist at the Louis-Mourier Hospital in Colombes, France, found that roughly 14 percent to 17 percent of the people reporting that they smoked pot at least three days per week were obese.

That compared with a 22 to 25 percent obesity rate among people who said they had not used pot in the past 12 months.

“Initially, we thought we made a mistake,” said Le Strat, adding that he and co-author Bernard Le Foll checked the results several times to make sure they were correct.

“This is only a preliminary result. It doesn’t mean that marijuana does actually help you lose weight, but perhaps there is a component that does.”…

[continues at Reuters]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

94 Comments on "Marijuana Munchies Won’t Make You Fat"

1. MileHigh420 | Sep 14, 2011 at 12:47 pm |

Hey, look at Denver. More medical marijuana dispensaries per capita than Starbucks, AND one of the lowest obesity rights, plus highest levels of physical fitness. These researchers should recruit this city for their study to find out what’s really going on.

2. MileHigh420 | Sep 14, 2011 at 8:47 am |

• ChristianHypocrite | Sep 14, 2011 at 9:37 am |

My two reasons why:

1) Cannabis makes you smarter (when consumed properly) and thus more likely to care about your weight+diet.
      2) Cannabis enhances your taste buds, making healthy food taste better.

I know I am not describing this properly.  But one often gets more satisfaction eating a lot of organic carrots, apples, oranges, etc, than one would from pigging out on microwave TV dinners.

• Tuna Ghost | Sep 14, 2011 at 11:43 am |

Hmm but how would this explain that the only time anyone eats garbage like White Castle is when they’re high?

• DeepCough | Sep 14, 2011 at 1:16 pm |

That’s bullshit propaganda from crappy Harold and Kumar movie.

• those movies were funny. and white castle is all bread.

• Jin The Ninja | Sep 14, 2011 at 2:30 pm |

ultra refined flour with additives, palm oil, refined white sugar, liquid egg, salt and preservative does NOT bread make. neither does square factory meat a burger make.

• DeepCough | Sep 14, 2011 at 8:05 pm |

“Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay” was so much better and less commercial than “White Castle.”

• Tuna Ghost | Sep 15, 2011 at 1:08 am |

This phenomena was noted long before that awful, awful movie. My own time as a stoner, along with every other stoner I knew who lived in close proximity to a White Castle supports it. I don’t know anyone who eats there sober.

• MileHigh420 | Sep 14, 2011 at 2:33 pm |

We don’t have White Castle in Denver. People get high and eat sliders from Good Times which are all beef instead of White Castle mystery meat.

• Because they compounded an entire advertisement campaign into a movie about stoners, I guess it worked on you

• E.B. Wolf | Sep 16, 2011 at 3:21 pm |

I’ve never been high enough to eat White Castle.

3. Yeah, but I’d like to seem them stack these numbers against the numbers of regular tobacco users who are obese.

I have a hunch that the tobacco smokers would be even less likely to be obese.

We drastically reduce tobacco use in this country and switch to a high carb diet, then act surprised when everyone gets fat.

4. Yeah, but I’d like to see them stack these numbers against the numbers of regular tobacco users who are obese.

I have a hunch that the tobacco smokers would be even less likely to be obese.

5. Anonymous | Sep 14, 2011 at 1:21 pm |

Makes sense; I don’t gain weight from food I eat when I’m high. Which is most of the time

6. JoiquimCouteau | Sep 14, 2011 at 9:21 am |

7. ChristianHypocrite | Sep 14, 2011 at 1:37 pm |

My two reasons why:

2) Cannabis enhances your taste buds, making healthy food taste better.

8. ChristianHypocrite | Sep 14, 2011 at 1:37 pm |

My two reasons why:

2) Cannabis enhances your taste buds, making healthy food taste better.

9. ChristianHypocrite | Sep 14, 2011 at 1:37 pm |

My two reasons why:

2) Cannabis enhances your taste buds, making healthy food taste better.

10. ChristianHypocrite | Sep 14, 2011 at 1:37 pm |

My two reasons why:

2) Cannabis enhances your taste buds, making healthy food taste better.

11. ChristianHypocrite | Sep 14, 2011 at 1:37 pm |

My two reasons why:

2) Cannabis enhances your taste buds, making healthy food taste better.

12. Magda Sullivan | Sep 14, 2011 at 1:49 pm |

Two words: Michael Phelps.

13. Magda Sullivan | Sep 14, 2011 at 9:49 am |

Two words: Michael Phelps.

14. your mother | Sep 14, 2011 at 1:54 pm |

i used to be a lot skinnier when i was a stoner
    then i stopped smoking weed and started putting on weight

15. your mother | Sep 14, 2011 at 9:54 am |

i used to be a lot skinnier when i was a stoner
    then i stopped smoking weed and started putting on weight

16. This research stands to reason when you recognise that Cannabis actually works as a “metabolic lubricant” increasing the efficiency of all systems in the body to achieve homoeostasis (balance). Once that is achieved by ongoing use of cannabis the weight falls off as food intake is stabilised. The initial binge eating (munchies) that comes for newbies is often due to nutritional deficits and the bodies need for fuels to balance the internal systems. A banana always cures the munchies as it is food for the brain which when you are medicated on cannabis as the neuro-genesis triggered by THC/CBD uses up potassium quickly.

“Researches” doing stuff they know little about has always amused me and reminded me much of politics.

17. This research stands to reason when you recognise that Cannabis actually works as a “metabolic lubricant” increasing the efficiency of all systems in the body to achieve homoeostasis (balance). Once that is achieved by ongoing use of cannabis the weight falls off as food intake is stabilised. The initial binge eating (munchies) that comes for newbies is often due to nutritional deficits and the bodies need for fuels to balance the internal systems. A banana always cures the munchies as it is food for the brain which when you are medicated on cannabis as the neuro-genesis triggered by THC/CBD uses up potassium quickly.

18. Matt Pallett | Sep 14, 2011 at 10:20 am |

19. Marijuana rarely ever gave me the munchies.  I would first question whether munbchies are even a ‘real’ phenonmenon in the first place regarding being high.

20. Marijuana rarely ever gave me the munchies.  I would first question whether munbchies are even a ‘real’ phenonmenon in the first place regarding being high.

21. MissYouMJ | Sep 14, 2011 at 3:39 pm |

I had stayed at the same weight since high school but then I gained fifteen pounds when I started smoking pot on a daily basis…constant, ravenous munchies! I smoked every day for almost five years and maintained that same weight of plus-fifteen pounds…never went above that. Then I had to stop smoking when it started making me anxious and edgy…very sad to let it go…but it was necessary for the maintenance of my sanity. When I stopped smoking, I quickly dropped back down to my original weight and have since stayed there. For whatever that is worth…

22. MissYouMJ | Sep 14, 2011 at 11:39 am |

23. Tuna Ghost | Sep 14, 2011 at 3:43 pm |

24. Tuna Ghost | Sep 14, 2011 at 3:44 pm |

Ridiculous!  Everyone asks me how I stay so skinny, and I tell them the truth.  Heroin.  That’ll keep you lean and trim and lithe, ask anybody.

25. Tuna Ghost | Sep 14, 2011 at 11:44 am |

• Yeah, I must admit, the weight just falls off like magic.

• Tuna Ghost | Sep 15, 2011 at 1:05 am |

Yes, your teeth too

• You’re right, now that you mention it.

I’ve got a friend who had a morphine pump installed, for pain control. Her teeth all went to shit inside a year and a half.

No wonder they call those things “Robo-Hospice”. Something happened and they had to take hers out, else I’m confident she’d already be dead, instead of just a shell of her former self.

• Tuna Ghost | Sep 15, 2011 at 10:06 am |

Yeah one of my buddies has a pump, it can occasionally cause quite a problem since we’re living in a place where English and American units of measurement aren’t used often.  He received a text from his doctor a few weeks ago that read “You missed your appointment yesterday.  Please come to the hospital tomorrow or you may die.  Thank you.”  Turns out once they run out of morphine they’ll start pumping air into your blood instead, which I’m sure you know is a quick recipe for a heart attack.

• DeepCough | Sep 14, 2011 at 8:04 pm |

Only a pretentious hipster twat like you would claim to use heroin.

• Tuna Ghost | Sep 15, 2011 at 1:04 am |

Heroin was chic long before the advent of Hipsterism, as you’re well aware (and yet synthetic heroin like oxycontin is considered trashy. Go figure). And if you think I’m seriously claiming to abuse heroin, you’re letting your very obvious attraction to me cloud your judgement.

• DeepCough | Sep 15, 2011 at 1:09 am |

Just like a hipster to use the same old tired comeback over and over again.

• Tuna Ghost | Sep 15, 2011 at 6:11 am |

Not like you using “hipster” in your carefully crafted insults, eh?  Not like that at all.  Now shut up and make out with me already

• DeepCough | Sep 15, 2011 at 6:52 pm |

You’re not my type, hipster scum!

• dumbsaint | Sep 14, 2011 at 8:43 pm |

Only poor junkies,those that can afford their habits turn into sedentary sacks of crap.

26. 2ndtimeOlympicmedalholderguy | Sep 14, 2011 at 4:00 pm |

I can’t eat junk food when I’m stoned, it tastes disgusting, give me a peach and an apple and I am content.  If you have ever done any physical activity stoned you will realize there is something to be said there, I can control each muscle group, and I feel much lighter than usual.  (High)ly recommended.

27. 2ndtimeOlympicmedalholderguy | Sep 14, 2011 at 12:00 pm |

• The world is plagued by people that don’t realize you can actually do things other than watch TV and eat crap food when smokin. Everything you do is entertaining and interesting in its own unique way, and people don’t want to experiment outside of their safe stupid bubble

28. Sooo, can we end the “War on Drugs” now?

Case in point – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHrZNjWJfK0

29. jasonpaulhayes | Sep 14, 2011 at 12:41 pm |

Sooo, can we end the “War on Drugs” now?

Case in point – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHrZNjWJfK0

30. DeepCough | Sep 14, 2011 at 5:16 pm |

That’s bullshit propaganda from crappy Harold and Kumar movie.

31. Anonymous | Sep 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm |

I’m intrigued, any supporting evidence or links?

32. its because of all the running around after pot that happens before the munchies.

33. its because of all the running around after pot that happens before the munchies.

34. those movies were funny. and white castle is all bread.

35. Anonymous | Sep 14, 2011 at 6:30 pm |

36. MileHigh420 | Sep 14, 2011 at 6:33 pm |

37. Marijuana creates “balance” in your body.. Who would have guessed?

38. Because they compounded an entire advertisement campaign into a movie about stoners, I guess it worked on you

39. The world is plagued by people that don’t realize you can actually do things other than watch TV and eat crap food when smokin. Everything you do is entertaining and interesting in its own unique way, and people don’t want to experiment outside of their safe stupid bubble

40. Anonymous | Sep 14, 2011 at 9:38 pm |

41. Cannabis has been responsible for my 65 pound weight loss. Nothing magic about it, BUT it changes how you perceive your body and what you put into it. When I do smoke (which is only a few one hits a week) I don’t get the “Munchies” never understood that stupid stereotype. Instead it motivates me.. to clean my house, take my dogs for a walk, workout. I am not the only person who has these feelings when ingesting this miraculous plant. Its time we take this plant back from the industrialist and the Corporations who stole it from us to get rich and line the pockets of politicians with money. VOTE in 2012!!

42. Yeah, I must admit, the weight just falls off like magic.

43. Yeah, I must admit, the weight just falls off like magic.

44. O. Spengler | Sep 14, 2011 at 11:10 pm |

Roughly 25% of our energy intake is used by the brain. Maybe the percentage is higher for cannabis users.

45. O. Spengler | Sep 14, 2011 at 11:10 pm |

46. O. Spengler | Sep 14, 2011 at 7:10 pm |

47. DeepCough | Sep 15, 2011 at 12:04 am |

Only a pretentious hipster twat like you would claim to use heroin.

48. DeepCough | Sep 15, 2011 at 12:05 am |

49. DeepCough | Sep 15, 2011 at 12:05 am |

50. DeepCough | Sep 15, 2011 at 12:05 am |

51. DeepCough | Sep 15, 2011 at 12:05 am |

52. DeepCough | Sep 15, 2011 at 12:05 am |

53. DeepCough | Sep 15, 2011 at 12:05 am |

54. Anonymous | Sep 15, 2011 at 12:43 am |

55. Anonymous | Sep 15, 2011 at 12:43 am |

56. Tuna Ghost | Sep 15, 2011 at 5:04 am |

57. Tuna Ghost | Sep 15, 2011 at 5:05 am |

Yes, your teeth too

58. Tuna Ghost | Sep 15, 2011 at 5:08 am |

59. DeepCough | Sep 15, 2011 at 5:09 am |

Just like a hipster to use the same old tired comeback over and over again.

60. Tuna Ghost | Sep 15, 2011 at 10:11 am |

61. Small World, my brothers Metal Band used to play shows with them and our old friends recorded this track with Rehab.

62. You’re right, now that you mention it.

63. Tuna Ghost | Sep 15, 2011 at 2:06 pm |

64. DeepCough | Sep 15, 2011 at 10:52 pm |

You’re not my type, hipster scum!

65. E.B. Wolf | Sep 16, 2011 at 7:21 pm |

I’ve never been high enough to eat White Castle.

66. for who