Media Fail: Is Anonymous Helping Time Warner’s Bottom Line?

Anonymous

Photo: Vincent Diamante (CC)

Way more positive social action than feeding their machine, but an interesting shot at activism from Nick Bilton in the NY Times:

Anonymous, the hacker group, has jostled with the Iranian government and the Church of Scientology and has briefly shut down the Web sites of Visa, MasterCard and other global corporations.

When members appear in public to protest censorship and what they view as corruption, they don a plastic mask of Guy Fawkes, the 17th-century Englishman who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

Stark white, with blushed pink cheeks, a wide grin and a thin black mustache and goatee, the mask resonates with the hackers because it was worn by a rogue anarchist challenging an authoritarian government in “V for Vendetta,” the movie produced in 2006 by Warner Brothers.

What few people seem to know, though, is that Time Warner, one of the largest media companies in the world and parent of Warner Brothers, owns the rights to the image and is paid a licensing fee with the sale of each mask.

Read More: NY Times

24 Comments on "Media Fail: Is Anonymous Helping Time Warner’s Bottom Line?"

1. Wanooski | Sep 2, 2011 at 5:02 am |

They should just make paper masks and print/cut them out. F$%k you time warner!

2. Anarchy Pony | Sep 2, 2011 at 1:02 am |

They should just make paper masks and print/cut them out. F$%k you time warner!

3. Anonymous | Sep 2, 2011 at 5:10 am |

Black balaclavas with a corncob pipe has never hurt anyone. But the EZLN have never had a nice, high budget Hollywood blockbuster starring Natalie Portman.

4. Redacted | Sep 2, 2011 at 1:10 am |

5. Wanooski | Sep 2, 2011 at 6:13 am |

Something tells me people wouldn’t get away with walking around dressed as Commandante Marcos.

6. Wanooski | Sep 2, 2011 at 6:15 am |

Wait, sub-commandante Marcos.

7. Anonymous | Sep 2, 2011 at 6:28 am |

What nonsense. Does he honestly think ‘the hacker group Anonymous’ are the same as the mobs of Anons wearing masks at protests?

8. dumbsaint | Sep 2, 2011 at 2:28 am |

• In any case, Anonymous doesn’t mind paying for a physical product.  They’re more concerned with paying exorbitant prices for digital media, which can be copied an infinite number of times at almost no cost.

• Apparently, he does.  Or rather, apparently he’d like his readers to think so. Conflate them a few times and then police can start arresting protesters wearing the masks and claim they’re arresting members of Anonymous? I dunno. I want to say that’s quite a stretch but I’ve seen greater stretches that were true so maybe.

Or maybe he’s just an idiot.

Here’s a link to the non-members-only version of the story:

9. Apostle of Crom | Sep 2, 2011 at 6:38 am |

This article gives the impression that Chinese manufacturers give a fk about TW’s copyright. If even one mask in every hundred produced resulted in a royalty payment to the creeps I would quite surprised.

10. Apostle of Crom | Sep 2, 2011 at 2:38 am |

11. And David Ike is propping up Godzilla sales.

12. DrDavidKelly | Sep 2, 2011 at 3:14 am |

And David Ike is propping up Godzilla sales.

13. In any case, Anonymous doesn’t mind paying for a physical product.  They’re more concerned with paying exorbitant prices for digital media, which can be copied an infinite number of times at almost no cost.

14. Anonymous | Sep 2, 2011 at 2:20 pm |

Or maybe he’s just an idiot.

Here’s a link to the non-members-only version of the story:

15. Damn, I’d hate to think I’m somehow supporting the NHL.

16. Damn, I’d hate to think I’m somehow supporting the NHL.

17. I’m sure anonymous does not pay for these masks. I’d bet they have the resources to make them on their own. Too smart to buy something sold by a company they protest

18. Fondu311 | Sep 2, 2011 at 6:16 pm |

19. Even if this logic did make sense, it’d simply encourage these kids to go steal the masks.

20. Even if this logic did make sense, it’d simply encourage these kids to go steal the masks.