Product Placement Reaches New Heights

Wondering how out of control product placement in film has gotten? Check out this reel of highlights from The Marine, a crappy Twentieth Century Fox action flick from a couple years ago which apparently stars Miller Genuine Draft. It points to an emerging form of cinema — the low-quality, low-budget Hollywood movie that serves as an extended two-hour commercial.

24 Comments on "Product Placement Reaches New Heights"

1. Bill Hicks, where are you when we need you to open up a can of verbal whup-ass on these marketing motherfuckers?

If Bill wasn’t already dead, I bet he’d wish he was.

2. Bill Hicks, where are you when we need you to open up a can of verbal whup-ass on these marketing motherfuckers?

If Bill wasn’t already dead, I bet he’d wish he was.

• DeepCough | Sep 25, 2011 at 12:17 am |

Irony of ironies: have you noticed now how much more marketable he is since he’s dead?

3. This is much more common then you realize, and I actually agree with it. At least in lots of contexts. Let me phrase it this way. Say you are trying to make an independent movie. Say you are 20K short of your budget. Say your movie has a bunch of people drinking beer in it ANYWAYS, and you would have had to remove the labels ANYWAYS for sake of not sponsoring a beer. Why not get a company to PAY you to use THERE beer in your film, which shouldn’t alter the plot in the least. You’ll get free beer, free money, and free permission to use there beer. I MUCH prefer integrated ads. This is life, If you want art without advertisement subsidies, you’re going to have to pay for it.

4. This is much more common then you realize, and I actually agree with it. At least in lots of contexts. Let me phrase it this way. Say you are trying to make an independent movie. Say you are 20K short of your budget. Say your movie has a bunch of people drinking beer in it ANYWAYS, and you would have had to remove the labels ANYWAYS for sake of not sponsoring a beer. Why not get a company to PAY you to use THERE beer in your film, which shouldn’t alter the plot in the least. You’ll get free beer, free money, and free permission to use there beer. I MUCH prefer integrated ads. This is life, If you want art without advertisement subsidies, you’re going to have to pay for it.

• CharlesWelles | Sep 23, 2011 at 7:56 pm |

That’s the thing, you are paying for this art.  You pay to watch it in the theater and rent it on DVD.  Advertising slavery is not cool.  THEIR beer is as crappy as that movie.

5. This particular clip is a little silly.  There are better examples.  Further, this film is only a single placement of a product.  Once the product is identified, I see no point in highlighting every shot.  (Besides that, you totally missed the Heinz Ketchup placement.)  If I were a prick, I’d point out that name brands are more realistic than all of those scenes in which characters order “beer” as if there is one and only one brand of beer (or no brand) available.  Personally, I prefer made up brands (Commando Death Sticks, Red Apple cigarettes, etc.).

My favorite example of blatant – if hilarious – product placement is in the camp remake of the Thomas Crowne Affair.  Renee Russo, who has been established as a health conscious person with impeccable taste, impulsively shotguns a full can of Diet Coke which she purchases from a giant Diet Coke machine at the beginning of a pointless monologue.  There’s no reason for this scene other than the association of this product with a beautiful, witty woman who would never touch the stuff.  The placement itself seems rather arch.

6. This particular clip is a little silly.  There are better examples.  Further, this film is only a single placement of a product.  Once the product is identified, I see no point in highlighting every shot.  (Besides that, you totally missed the Heinz Ketchup placement.)  If I were a prick, I’d point out that name brands are more realistic than all of those scenes in which characters order “beer” as if there is one and only one brand of beer (or no brand) available.  Personally, I prefer made up brands (Commando Death Sticks, Red Apple cigarettes, etc.).

7. CharlesWelles | Sep 23, 2011 at 11:56 pm |

8. Anonymous | Sep 24, 2011 at 3:11 am |

9. Deus Ex: Human Revolution has Star Wars ads on the loading screens. It irritates me since I’m not a fan of the series. It also irritates me since I paid $60 for a game, only to have fucking ads in it.

10. I prefer the advertisements thinly disguised as “news”.

11. I prefer the advertisements thinly disguised as “news”.

12. Poopie eater | Sep 24, 2011 at 8:05 am |

There’s so many corporations infiltrating our lives that adding product placement will increase a video games realism, unfortunately.

13. Poopie eater | Sep 24, 2011 at 4:05 am |