Unpaid ‘Black Swan’ Interns Sue For Having To Make Coffee

Is Anderson Cooper right? Should interns be paid if they are doing menial jobs?

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

23 Comments on "Unpaid ‘Black Swan’ Interns Sue For Having To Make Coffee"

1. in today’s society the mass only cares about those who have the money to give em p.r. attention

2. in today’s society the mass only cares about those who have the money to give em p.r. attention

3. Another bullshit story from Majestic

4. Another bullshit story from Majestic

5. Anonymous | Sep 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm |

6. Wasn’t Mila Kunis in that movie? I’d have interned just to hit on her with clumsy pick up lines.

7. who gives a fuck. dont post this shit, majestic

8. who gives a fuck. dont post this shit, majestic

9. isn’t that what interns do, ffs?

10. isn’t that what interns do, ffs?

11. Butter Knife | Sep 30, 2011 at 8:59 pm |

I was under the impression that film and theater (actually entertainment in  general) had some of the strongest and most all-encompassing unions outside of public education. I’m actually surprised that they were allowed to have unpaid interns make coffee at all.

12. Butter Knife | Sep 30, 2011 at 4:59 pm |

13. Not everyone can afford to work for free for months or even years in order to break into a profession. Interns should be paid for the simple reason that everyone, regardless of their economic background, deserves a shot.

14. Not everyone can afford to work for free for months or even years in order to break into a profession. Interns should be paid for the simple reason that everyone, regardless of their economic background, deserves a shot.

15. Not everyone can afford to work for free for months or even years in order to break into a profession. Interns should be paid for the simple reason that everyone, regardless of their economic background, deserves a shot.

• Exactly. I don’t understand how the whole concept of an internship is legal to begin with. Free labor with no pay (except supposed “experience,” conveniently unquantifiable), sounds like slavery to me.

16. Anonymous | Oct 1, 2011 at 11:24 am |

I’d make Aronofsky coffee for free, I’ve still got some lingering questions about Pi.

17. dumbsaint | Oct 1, 2011 at 7:24 am |

18. Anonymous | Oct 2, 2011 at 2:31 pm |

Want employment be pretty and accept double teaming. What are we stupid, what percentage of free interns actually get a job (excluding safe nepotistic placement who often get paid anyhow).
    The lesson from the multi billion dollar industry, greed knows no bounds or limits and in order to sexually exploit young people you must get as many as possible through the doors as cheaply as possible, keeping them desperate and hungry all of the time.

19. Intern, you watch, you listen, you learn. When you work for free and are not learning, you are no longer an intern, you a gullible sexually exploitable labour.

20. Anonymous | Oct 2, 2011 at 3:34 pm |

21. In France most  internships (stages) are unpaid for…

22. RereMomo | Oct 5, 2011 at 6:31 pm |

In France most  internships (stages) are unpaid for…