‘X’ Now A Gender Option In Australian Passports

737450-3x2-940x627A forward-thinking move, as the gender-ambiguous can now classify themselves as ‘X’. Still no “android” or “monkey-man” passport options, though. Associated Press reports:

Australian passports will now have three gender options – male, female and indeterminate – under new guidelines to remove discrimination against transgender and intersex people, the government said Thursday. Intersex people, who are biologically not entirely male or female, will be able to list their gender on passports as “X.”

Previously, gender was a choice of only male or female, and people were not allowed to change their gender on their passport without having had a sex-change operation. The U.S. dropped the surgery prerequisite for transgender people’s passports last year.

Any country that complies with the International Civil Aviation Organization’s specifications for machine-readable passports can choose to introduce a gender “X.”

“‘X’ is really quite important because there are people who are indeed genetically ambiguous and were probably arbitrarily assigned as one sex or the other at birth,” Pratt said. “It’s a really important recognition of people’s human rights that if they choose to have their sex as ‘indeterminate,’ that they can.”

18 Comments on "‘X’ Now A Gender Option In Australian Passports"

1. Saudi, Pakistan, you’re next. We’re waiting…

2. Saudi, Pakistan, you’re next. We’re waiting…

3. Anonymous | Sep 29, 2011 at 3:41 am |

Why am I reading about this first on Disinfo? First I’ve heard of it and I live in the country. Great move nonetheless!

4. dumbsaint | Sep 28, 2011 at 11:41 pm |

5. ArgosyJones | Sep 29, 2011 at 4:21 am |

Now I can mutilate my genitals.

6. ArgosyJones | Sep 29, 2011 at 12:21 am |

Now I can mutilate my genitals.

7. Anonymous | Sep 29, 2011 at 4:32 am |

You were waiting for permission?

8. Anonymous | Sep 29, 2011 at 5:49 am |

9. Hmm.You are either X or Y, no exceptions. If you feel you deserve an exception, please stand against this wall, would you like a cigarette?

10. Seriously man, jokes are jokes, but if you want a Pulitzer-Prize winning novel in explanatory form, this is easy enough to find:

In terms of science, biology, as you say, things do occasionally go awry:

11. Sheesh…its not like they have a choice. When you’re an island continent parked that close to Thailand…these things are a much more commonplace issue 😉 Don’t get me wrong…I think its a step in the right direction just the same…but I suspect the Aussie customs people are just tired of having to lift tails just to check for gender.

12. Sheesh…its not like they have a choice. When you’re an island continent parked that close to Thailand…these things are a much more commonplace issue 😉 Don’t get me wrong…I think its a step in the right direction just the same…but I suspect the Aussie customs people are just tired of having to lift tails just to check for gender.

13. omg invasion of the stupid, anyone who thinks there is just X and Y needs to get their asses back to kindy. To all the slaves to the gender binary. We respect your choices however do not impinge on our rights and choices. If you dont like it then just stay away from BDM and airports. Or even better just pretend its not happening like before.

14. omg invasion of the stupid, anyone who thinks there is just X and Y needs to get their asses back to kindy. To all the slaves to the gender binary. We respect your choices however do not impinge on our rights and choices. If you dont like it then just stay away from BDM and airports. Or even better just pretend its not happening like before.