14 Shamans Murdered in Peru

Shaman

Photo: BDean (CC)

Nancy R writes on Care2:

Fourteen traditional healers have been brutally murdered in Peru in the past 20 months, allegedly at the urging of a local mayor. The Peruvian government has sent a team of investigators to look into the incidents. While 14 shaman have disappeared, the bodies of only seven have been retrieved so far; the indigenous healers were shot, stabbed or hacked to death by machete.

Protestant Sect Members Suspected: The prosecutor’s office of Alto Amazonas province stated that the alleged murders were carried out by a man known locally at the “witch hunter,” at the behest of his brother, the mayor of the town of Balsa Puerto. A Peruvian government adviser and expert on Amazon cultures alleges that both are members of a Protestant sect that claims shamans are possessed by demons and must be eliminated. The Peruvian Times reports that the shamans had been planning to form an association to share their knowledge.

Irrecoverable Loss: The shamans’ deaths go beyond a brutal crime to represent a loss of unrecoverable knowledge. NGO Amazon Watch’s Peru program director Gregor MacLennan is quoted in the Guardian: “The death of these shamans represents not just a tragic loss of life, but the loss of a huge body of knowledge about rainforest plants and the crucial role shamans play in traditional medicine and spiritual guidance in indigenous communities.”

More on Care2

100 Comments on "14 Shamans Murdered in Peru"

1. Occupy Wall Street did it.

2. Occupy Wall Street did it.

3. fucking christians…

4. fucking christians…

5. Who’re the savages again?
    You know, I bet if it was the other way around, they’d go in round up the whole village, maybe even kill them all.

6. Anarchy Pony | Oct 14, 2011 at 12:46 am |

Who’re the savages again?

7. Remember  the important lesson here…once you toddle off to never never land and make the leap of faith necessary to assume that a religion is more important than anybody elses life…shit like this is never more than seconds away from happening. I’m not saying that no one should have a faith of their own…

…I’m just saying that the only responsible public policy is to treat religious faith like a large, unpredictable dog…muzzle that bitch every time it leaves the house.

8. Remember  the important lesson here…once you toddle off to never never land and make the leap of faith necessary to assume that a religion is more important than anybody elses life…shit like this is never more than seconds away from happening. I’m not saying that no one should have a faith of their own…

9. Anonymous | Oct 14, 2011 at 6:54 am |

So where’s Anti-Crowley? Someone has to speak on behalf of those poor, oppressed christians who aren’t even allowed to massacre innocent people as their faith requires. At least, not without being called mean names by those mean, mean non-christians.

10. razzlebathbone | Oct 14, 2011 at 2:54 am |

• Anti-Crowley | Oct 16, 2011 at 9:03 am |

I take a look at a Bible and see that Jesus and the Apostles didn’t kill those who were possessed by demons.  I condemn murdering anyone, demon possessed or not just as the Bible teaches.  If a Christian were to kill someone for being demon possessed it would seem that they would be ignorant to the fact that the demon possessing that person would not be killed, but instead would just move on to the next person.  That comment has no more weight than me picking out an atheist or any other world view and finding anyone who has killed in the name of that belief system, which I could do for any of them.   If we hold those who did this up to what they claim to believe, we find they are in violation of their own world view.  But hey, as long as you get any excuse to blame the whole of Christianity who cares about really analyzing the situation isn’t that right bone?

11. Mr Willow | Oct 14, 2011 at 8:54 am |

. . .Protestant sect that claims shamans are possessed by demons and must be eliminated.
    Said the people who shot, stabbed, and chopped them up.

Utter travesty.

12. Mr Willow | Oct 14, 2011 at 4:54 am |

. . .shamans are possessed by demons and must be eliminated.

Said the people who shot, stabbed, and chopped them up.

Absolute travesty.

13. killing in the name of…..

14. killing in the name of…..

15. Christianity and Islam are shit. Both need to be disproven and destroyed.

16. Christianity and Islam are shit. Both need to be disproven and destroyed.

• Celestial4t | Oct 14, 2011 at 9:14 am |

it’s not the religions itselves but the way people practice the religion is the problem!

• the practice is the religion, theory is ideal but when the rendering does not mirror the programmers vision disaster seems to happen. Its all memes, ideas are a higher forms of life and some replicate in the minds on us lowly humans in crude seemingly evil ways. Careful what you believe in and make sure to give it reality to checks from time to time to make sure you still want to believe in it, moving on to something better is always a choice when it comes religions and dont drink the cool aid its poison 😛

17. Can anybody tell me how this is any different from Spanish Priests burning the Mayan Codices in the 16th century?  It seems intentional, that the church, or some party affiliated with the church, wants to surpress any information which would undermine their agenda.  It infuriates me.

18. Can anybody tell me how this is any different from Spanish Priests burning the Mayan Codices in the 16th century?  It seems intentional, that the church, or some party affiliated with the church, wants to surpress any information which would undermine their agenda.  It infuriates me.

19. Celestial4t | Oct 14, 2011 at 1:14 pm |

20. yeah they know shamans bring results

21. Shamans defeat demons. It sounds like there are some Christians who could have used their help.

22. Shamans defeat demons. It sounds like there are some Christians who could have used their help.

23.      Many years ago while engaging in a journey of a shamanic nature I found myself transported into the body of another person.  He was a young Amazonian man, himself on such a journey and he was lying on the bare earth next to a small fire.  His body was immobilized by the effects of the substances he had consumed and I could feel his fear as the walls of his mind were dissolving.  Looking through his eyes I could see a much older man crouched beside him.  The old man was singing and the interplay of light and dark around the fire responded like a Chladni plate to his song.  The old man suddenly looked into his apprentices eyes and saw me and begun to laugh.  I will never forget his face – his skin a mahogany parchment, lines around his eyes like the fins of a lionfish.  He begun to speak and though I did not know his language I understood every word.  He laughed that I was not supposed to be there I he was going to have to send me back.  I begged for him to teach me something but he said he had work to do with the boy and I seemed to be doing ok on my own.  With this he began to laugh so hard that I felt its ripples spreading throughout my body.  My heart begun to vibrate with his laughter until it buzzed like a purring cat and then it gentle lifted away from the young man and I found myself back within my own body.

When I read this story I am saddened, appalled, and disgusted amongst other things far more savage.  I know from experience the various ‘truths’ peddled by religionists and I know from experience the realities available to humanity through nature’s bounty – as do many of you.  I do not believe these shamans consciousness to be destroyed or the body of knowledge to be truly lost.  I also believe their system of belief to be on of the few to be able to offer any evidence to substantiate such a claim.

But ‘religion’ distracts so easily from more base political motives.  What were the true aims of this association the shamans were forming?  Were they involved in any indigenous land right claims?  Are there any multinationals operating in this area?  Balsapuerto appears to be right in the middle of two leased oil blocks and an unleased block.  http://westernamazon.org/oil_blocks_peru_large.jpg
    The Peruvian government has a poor track record dealing with indigo opposition to land use by multinationals.  Why make the government look bad when a few religionists can do the job in the name of their sky god.
         The unnamed protestant sect – undoubtedly started by American missionary efforts – who?  Where else do they operate?  Any other connections to native killings?  Belief in demon passion is in line with New Apostolic beliefs.  NAR has been conclusively linked to witch hunting in Nigeria…..

To these shamans – see you on the next cosmic trip.
    To their killers – I hope you become a curare pincushion before you take a slow dip in a piranha tank.

24. Calypso_1 | Oct 14, 2011 at 11:48 am |

To these shamans – see you on the next cosmic trip.

• Calypso_1 | Oct 14, 2011 at 11:50 am |

heh ‘demon passion’ that’s my favorite ; ) possesion

• Anarchy Pony | Oct 14, 2011 at 2:01 pm |

Yeah, the question of multinationals in the area is an important one. Ones operating in the amazon basin all perform apalling practices.

• Daguerreotype-O-Negative | Oct 21, 2011 at 8:00 pm |

I read your comment in full, I resonated with it very much, especially this part:

“He begun to speak and though I did not know his language I understood every word.  He laughed that I was not supposed to be there I he was going to have to send me back.  I begged for him to teach me.”

And also this part:

“He did teach me – I had assumed where the connection had been made was in the mind but throughout the rest of my journey I could look into my own heart and see it surrounded by a blue fire and hear a laughter that caused the fire to dance with hyper-dimensional hieroglyphics.”

I have had very much the same experiences mirrored with different imagery i.e.:
      -meeting “hyper-dimensional” beings that encompassed all and communicated through murmuring vibrational laughter/tonal loving waves of expression. I (as you did) asked them or it to let me stay, & embrace the immensity of eternity (although this was not said by me but telepathically expressed). I was “made aware” that just contact with this was beyond time or the concept of “staying there” & I was comforted through my being with the fact that it was all far beyond ones mind-conception. At that point I saw my whole being as two patern/symbol/hieroglyphic looking structures coming together and when they collided & attached  perfectly the deepest & loudest resonant tone erupted & I felt unlimited oneness & this completed symbol I realized was at my core & could not go away & was my innermost connection to everything I had ever sought. At this point I realized I could simply choose to stop existing. As I took my next breathe I opened my eyes & immediately came back down into my place in the timeline of my current life iteration with something unshakable that I felt, a whole other bodily dimension that is felt with a separate sense beyond the five we take for granted that is still there today. The depth of this furthered sense is unique in that when ever I allow myself to be swept away by it I feel the unlimited love and warmth & unshakable truth of that resonating symbol, a gift from the cosmic oneness.

Anyway, the parallels abound with both our experiences.  That makes my heart lift a little, it was great gift to hear your story Calypso!

25. heh ‘demon passion’ that’s my favorite ; ) possesion

26. I’m happy to inform that the priest that worked at the catholic church i was forced to attend as a child  has left the church and got married and is now just helping people without being connected to that outdated institution. Hooray for booty

27. I’m happy to inform that the priest that worked at the catholic church i was forced to attend as a child  has left the church and got married and is now just helping people without being connected to that outdated institution. Hooray for booty

• Nirvanasteve | Oct 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm |

Ha, well, I guess for some people the greatest spiritual fulfillment one can achieve is found between a nice pair of legs. Very Qabalistic. And of course it’s a whole lot better than rigorous adherence to Catholic dogma. I don’t believe I’ve met anyone who remains a part of the Catholic institution and isn’t burdened to it by the weight of guilt the system itself has forced on them. “Sin” seems to have been made by the early Church in order to get followers. The polytheists knew the greatest secret of life since they worshiped the personifications of natural forces: Shit happens.

• Butter Knife | Oct 22, 2011 at 1:33 am |

I’m sorry the only Catholics you’ve met have been so awful. I know, and have met, many who are in fact quite nice and reasonable people, who view Original Sin as less of a burden and more of a reminder we are all flawed and deserving of Love and Compassion not merely in spite of our failings, but because of them.

Integrity and insight do not know sectarian bounds.

28. i got demon passion

29. the practice is the religion, theory is ideal but when the rendering does not mirror the programmers vision disaster seems to happen. Its all memes, ideas are a higher forms of life and some replicate in the minds on us lowly humans in crude seemingly evil ways. Careful what you believe in and make sure to give it reality to checks from time to time to make sure you still want to believe in it, moving on to something better is always a choice when it comes religions and dont drink the cool aid its poison 😛

30. Anti-Citizen1 | Oct 14, 2011 at 6:01 pm |

31. This is disturbing beyond words.

32. This is disturbing beyond words.

33. Wow. I wish there was a sect that realized protestants were possessed by demons and ‘eliminated’ them.

34. Wow. I wish there was a sect that realized protestants were possessed by demons and ‘eliminated’ them.

35. i am not surprised at all. Judeo-christians (muslims included) have persecuted other religions but their own, for centuries. Any religion that thinks that their god is the only true god, is most probably going to try to destroy all the rest. The Bible is a terribly violent book (devilishly so) and gives license to kill and persecute witches and magicians. Jews, christians and catholics despise esoteric beleifs, and in many instances have destroyed many people and whole nations so as to impose their suppposedly One and Only God. Monotheistic religions self designate themselves as love religions, but in reality they only love the followers that are inside of the said religion, and have no qualms about murdering and plundering others. And what can you do,for there is little to be done if the whole world is now dominated by the United States of America, a truly christian based empire, that has the devilish Bible as one of its spiritual beacons?

36. i am not surprised at all. Judeo-christians (muslims included) have persecuted other religions but their own, for centuries. Any religion that thinks that their god is the only true god, is most probably going to try to destroy all the rest. The Bible is a terribly violent book (devilishly so) and gives license to kill and persecute witches and magicians. Jews, christians and catholics despise esoteric beleifs, and in many instances have destroyed many people and whole nations so as to impose their suppposedly One and Only God. Monotheistic religions self designate themselves as love religions, but in reality they only love the followers that are inside of the said religion, and have no qualms about murdering and plundering others. And what can you do,for there is little to be done if the whole world is now dominated by the United States of America, a truly christian based empire, that has the devilish Bible as one of its spiritual beacons?

37. Nirvanasteve | Oct 15, 2011 at 11:37 pm |

38. Cabbagetheif | Oct 16, 2011 at 3:10 am |

i am a Neo-Pagan. i do not claim to be part of any particular tradition, but i have utmost respect for any and all who are bearers of cultural knowledge. this is horrific to me…

39. Cabbagetheif | Oct 15, 2011 at 11:10 pm |

40. Stringertony | Oct 16, 2011 at 11:46 am |

You wonder why the Peruvian government waited for 14 to be killed before they did anything about it….

41. Stringertony | Oct 16, 2011 at 7:46 am |

42. Anti-Crowley | Oct 16, 2011 at 1:03 pm |

43. Atilla Garay | Oct 16, 2011 at 10:20 pm |

Wow! This is absolutely apalling. Exactly why, or what, are those responsible, are they so scared of from these Shamans? Perhaps what they fear is that what the shamans had to share is closer to the Truth than what they WANT people to believe.

44. Atilla Garay | Oct 16, 2011 at 6:20 pm |

45. Mankind needs freedom from religion… not freedom of religion.
    Religion is bigotry in robes.

46. RealityAlwaysBites | Oct 16, 2011 at 7:36 pm |

Mankind needs freedom from religion… not freedom of religion.
    Religion is bigotry in robes.

47. Our overlords are murdering those that can show us the true path… well done, dickheads.

48. Conspiracy Carrot | Oct 16, 2011 at 10:57 pm |

49. BaphometRex666 | Oct 17, 2011 at 3:08 am |

Indigenous People and their cultures should be protected much like endangered species.
    Missionary’s should be prosecuted as poachers.

50. BaphometRex666 | Oct 17, 2011 at 3:08 am |

Missionary’s should be prosecuted as poachers.

51. BaphometRex666 | Oct 17, 2011 at 3:08 am |

Missionary’s should be prosecuted as poachers.

52. BaphometRex666 | Oct 16, 2011 at 11:08 pm |

Missionary’s should be prosecuted as poachers.

53. Anonymous | Oct 17, 2011 at 5:52 am |

Oh so sad Movement in the Peru Due to Heavy Killing by the Shooters.

54. Brookssmith | Oct 17, 2011 at 1:52 am |

Oh so sad Movement in the Peru Due to Heavy Killing by the Shooters.

55. Anti-Citizen1 | Oct 17, 2011 at 6:13 pm |

An odd statement from someone with the screenname Guy Falkes(fawkes) considering what fawkes actually stood for.

56. My experience in Peru with Ayahuasca and an incredible shaman was the 2nd most amazing experience of my life (2nd to birth) And it transformed me into the person I always wanted to be, I believe it will save the human race from ourselves

57. My experience in Peru with Ayahuasca and an incredible shaman was the 2nd most amazing experience of my life (2nd to birth) And it transformed me into the person I always wanted to be, I believe it will save the human race from ourselves

58. Anonymous | Oct 19, 2011 at 7:24 am |

It is shameful Killing in the Peru.There were 14 shamans Killed in the Peru.

59. Anonymous | Oct 19, 2011 at 7:24 am |

It is shameful Killing in the Peru.There were 14 shamans Killed in the Peru.

60. Leudagarsmith1 | Oct 19, 2011 at 3:24 am |

It is shameful Killing in the Peru.There were 14 shamans Killed in the Peru.

61. Espírito Livre | Oct 20, 2011 at 5:09 am |

sad…Today I am grieving…

62. Espírito Livre | Oct 20, 2011 at 1:09 am |

sad…Today I am grieving…

63. Cultural anthropology approaches Shamanism as an integral part of the study of culture, belief, and practice. Researchers discovered  a 12,000-year-old site in Israel that they regard as one of the earliest known shaman burials.
    It’s a tragedy about what happen and   a shame for those who ordered to murder them

64. Cultural anthropology approaches Shamanism as an integral part of the study of culture, belief, and practice. Researchers discovered  a 12,000-year-old site in Israel that they regard as one of the earliest known shaman burials.

65. Anti-Crowley | Oct 20, 2011 at 2:13 pm |

What say you bone?

66. time to chop up the mayors and their brothers i’d say!

67. time to chop up the mayors and their brothers i’d say!

68. Daguerreotype-O-Negative | Oct 22, 2011 at 12:00 am |

And also this part:

I have had very much the same experiences mirrored with different imagery i.e.:

69. Butter Knife | Oct 22, 2011 at 5:33 am |

Integrity and insight do not know sectarian bounds.

70. Anonymous | Oct 22, 2011 at 9:56 am |

It is very shameful Incident for the Shamam due to heavy Killing by the shooter in the Peru.

71. Anonymous | Oct 24, 2011 at 9:56 am |

This is very shameful News for every shamam community  when this has been Incident in the Peru .Some People have killed and some people have Injured in that Incident.If You have More Information please click here this Link.

72. If you’re gonna cherrypick the good bits (according to modern standards) of your holy guide then you might do better picking from a less evil tree: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

73. Anonymous | Oct 29, 2011 at 9:00 am |

It is very shameful Incident in the Peru due to heavy Killing by the shooter .Mostly 15 shamams have been Killed.

74. Augustesmith | Oct 29, 2011 at 5:00 am |

75. The elite are systematically killing powerful practicioners of magick all over the world so there will be no one left to contest them.

Native Americans were first, Tibetan monks are being killed now as well.

76. The elite are systematically killing powerful practicioners of magick all over the world so there will be no one left to contest them.

Native Americans were first, Tibetan monks are being killed now as well.

77. Anonymous | Nov 2, 2011 at 4:52 am |

It was very shameful day for the Shamams .Those Shamam who have Killed in the Peru.There were 14 shamam Killed in the Incident.

78. Nwtracker | Nov 2, 2011 at 5:23 pm |

While the history continues;

79. Nwtracker | Nov 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm |

While the history continues;

80. Obama now claims the US to be of muslim faith… just so you know

81. Anonymous | Nov 4, 2011 at 11:31 am |

It is very shameful Incident for the shamams community .There are many 14 shamam Killed  in the Incident.’

82. Anonymous | Nov 5, 2011 at 5:30 am |

This is very shameful Incident for shamam Community due to heavy Killing by the shooter in the Peru.There are 15 shamam Killed in this Incident.
    Overstock Coupon