Bill Maher Interviews Controversial Pastor Robert Jeffress (Video)

Rick Perry-supporting Baptist Pastor Robert Jeffress was in the news recently for calling Mormonism a cult and Bill Maher, for once, is without his usual snark to a man of the cloth:

32 Comments on "Bill Maher Interviews Controversial Pastor Robert Jeffress (Video)"

1. Actually if i remember right, and this is what I found funny about protestant faith, is that it is not belief in christ that gets you into heaven, but belief in the Holy Spirit. Strangely, noone talks about it, and few even understand what it is.

2. Actually if i remember right, and this is what I found funny about protestant faith, is that it is not belief in christ that gets you into heaven, but belief in the Holy Spirit. Strangely, noone talks about it, and few even understand what it is.

• A Christian | Oct 16, 2011 at 8:53 am |

100% wrong Gradient.  The work of Jesus Christ on the cross and his resurrection are the only reason salvation is available.  The work of the Holy Ghost is to convict mankind of their sin and turn them to God.  I think you may be referring to the “unforgivable sin” in your remarks, which is to say that it means that by blaspheme of the Holy Ghost is to reject his conviction and refusing to turn to God.  Not really sure where you get your claim from.

• Guess you’re right about the “unforgivable sin” part. But lets look at it directly:

“Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men; but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.” -Matthew 12:31

Now I am pretty sure there will be scripture other places to conflict this,  but this rather blatantly says the only sin that cannot be forgiven even by Jesus is denying the holy spirit.

O well, I guess by certain interpretations of:

“I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto my father, but by me” John 14:6″

You can continue to believe that you have to have faith in Jesus to get into your heaven.

• A Christian | Oct 19, 2011 at 7:47 am |

It says “shall not be forgiven”  as in Christ to whom was given the power to judge all things chooses not to forgive the rejecting of the Holy Ghost.  Again, the reason for this is because the Holy Spirit’s main purpose after the resurrection is to turn people to salvation, therefore refusing to turn to salvation and accepting forgiveness means you will not be forgiven…go figure.  Its really not that complicated to draw the meaning from this passage.  You don’t seem to grasp the theology of Christianity beyond the most basic level yet you regularly attempt to imply to others that you are a subject matter expert.  I am not sure what you are trying to achieve by that, but hey to each his own.  BTW, I will have to admit that I don’t claim that it is my heaven as I wrote none of the passages contained in the Bible nor was I original in any of the statements I make concerning it.

• Nope, I’m far from an expert, just having a conversation. I know I can’t make any claims of being terribly knowledgeable about christianity, but if I were a syncretist, the Holy Spirit would be my method of “attack”.

3. Mr Willow | Oct 15, 2011 at 11:06 pm |

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works
    Revelation 20:12 and 13

Also, Paul wrote nothing that was intended to be placed alongside what is presumed to be the ‘Word of God’. He wrote letters expressing his opinions to the various tribes around the Mediterranean. Hence: (Paul’s letters to the) Romans, (letters to the) Corinthians, (letters to the) Galatians, (letters to the) Ephesians, (letters to the) Philippians, (letters to the) Colossians, (letters to the) Thessalonians, and (letters to the) Hebrews. I highly doubt they were ever intended to be authoritative on the same level as the gospels.

4. Mr Willow | Oct 15, 2011 at 7:06 pm |

Revelation 20:12 and 13

• Paul makes it pretty clear when what he’s writing is his own opinion and when what he’s writing is the word of God (as he understands it). There are a few times this juxtaposition is made clear, such as 1 Corinthians 7:10 where he makes sure to note that the previous lines were his views and the upcoming lines are the word of God.

5. DeepCough | Oct 15, 2011 at 11:28 pm |

What Pastor Robert Jeffress says is 100% correct: Mormonism is a cult, specifically, it’s a polygamist cult. For more information, check out this interesting documentary.

6. DeepCough | Oct 15, 2011 at 7:28 pm |

• HisNoodlyAppendages | Oct 16, 2011 at 10:38 pm |

ALL religions start off as cults. The ONLY difference between a cult and a religion is the number of followers it has.

7. Paul makes it pretty clear when what he’s writing is his own opinion and when what he’s writing is the word of God (as he understands it). There are a few times this juxtaposition is made clear, such as 1 Corinthians 7:10 where he makes sure to note that the previous lines were his views and the upcoming lines are the word of God.

8. Christianity is a cult, a death cult based on a false messiah.

9. Christianity is a cult, a death cult based on a false messiah.

10. A Christian | Oct 16, 2011 at 12:53 pm |

11. A Christian | Oct 16, 2011 at 12:55 pm |

Thanks for sharing your opinion Jbar, but opinions like that die the death of 1,000 qualifications.

12. Guess you’re right about the “unforgivable sin” part. But lets look at it directly:

O well, I guess by certain interpretations of:

13. HisNoodlyAppendages | Oct 17, 2011 at 2:38 am |

14. Sangproductions183 | Oct 17, 2011 at 6:36 pm |

Regardless of who you side with, I’m glad to see two men of opposing opinions can sit down and have such a cordial and comical discussion. Much more of that please.

15. Sangproductions183 | Oct 17, 2011 at 2:36 pm |

16. Anti-Citizen1 | Oct 18, 2011 at 3:52 am |

I like that, death of 1000 qualifications.

17. Anti-Citizen1 | Oct 18, 2011 at 3:56 am |

Until they eventually hit a brick wall that neither can get through or around and that’s the end of that.

18. Sangproductions183 | Oct 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm |

And then they can agree to disagree civilly.

19. Anti-Citizen1 | Oct 18, 2011 at 4:11 pm |

Depends on what exactly they may be disagreeing on.

20. A Christian | Oct 19, 2011 at 11:47 am |

21. Nope, I’m far from an expert, just having a conversation. I know I can’t make any claims of being terribly knowledgeable about christianity, but if I were a syncretist, the Holy Spirit would be my method of “attack”.