God’s Choice For President Of The United States

So who does God favor in the 2012 presidential race? LZ Granderson tries to unravel the competing claims of the candidates for CNN:

Vote for me or burn in hell.

I can’t imagine someone running for office saying that.

And yet four candidates — Michele Bachmann, Herman Cain, Rick Perry and Rick Santorum — have said they had a sense that God was leading them to run. How far can we be from “vote for me or burn in hell” when it seems we’re already comfortable with “vote for me, I’ve been called by God”?

There was a time when if a candidate wanted to inject faith into a campaign he or she would be photographed going to church or shaking the Rev. Billy Graham’s hand.

Now it seems many GOP campaigns aren’t complete without claiming God’s seal of approval, which suggests the other candidates may be running without it. Such a sentiment is an ideological piñata for comedians like Bill Maher and Jon Stewart, but for conservatives trying to secure the GOP nomination, it’s a highly manipulative campaign tool…

[continues at CNN]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

60 Comments on "God’s Choice For President Of The United States"

1. DeepCough | Oct 19, 2011 at 2:16 pm |

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.” –Lucius Annaeus Seneca

2. DeepCough | Oct 19, 2011 at 10:16 am |

• Anti-Crowley | Oct 20, 2011 at 10:16 am |

Why DeepCough, did you just commit the fallacy of pleading to authority?

• DeepCough | Oct 20, 2011 at 11:17 am |

Did you understand what you even wrote, you Christian troll?

• Anti-crowley | Oct 20, 2011 at 4:41 pm |

Why DeepCough, did you just commit the fallacy of ad hominem?

• DeepCough | Oct 21, 2011 at 12:30 pm |

Anti-Crowley/
            Why you such/
            a fuckhead?

How’s that ad hominem, motherfucker?!

• Anti-crowley | Oct 21, 2011 at 1:16 pm |

Why DeepCough, did you just commit the fallacy of ad hominem again?

• DeepCough | Oct 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm |

word magic/
            It’s just Seneca/
            I’m quoting.

• DeepCough | Oct 21, 2011 at 1:50 pm |

*insert guitar solo here*

3. Anonymous | Oct 19, 2011 at 2:32 pm |

God is holding a raffle to see who gets to be the “apocalypse” president. He’ll have Gabriel blow his horn at the inauguration. It will be rockin…

4. GoodDoktorBad | Oct 19, 2011 at 10:32 am |

• Anarchy Pony | Oct 19, 2011 at 12:19 pm |

Better get your swords today, so you can be slayin’ demons tomorrow.

• Anti-Crowley | Oct 20, 2011 at 10:30 am |

Actually, better get your canned food and water supply so you can “be slayin'” the bootstompers tomorrow when big government plunges us into depression then squashes the upheaval when it happens.

• Anti-crowley | Oct 21, 2011 at 1:20 pm |

I have to interject Good Doktor but not to be rude.  World views aside for a sec.  Can we seriously not see the political bullshit that these blowhards push in the name of Christianity, Athiesm or any pathetic method to gain voters just to execute their own plan?

• GoodDoktorBad | Oct 21, 2011 at 4:06 pm |

Invoking the name of God is the ultimate in name dropping. Relationships with God have and always will be personal. God is the famous character everyone seems to be out to exploit and ride the tails of.

I have to agree that it is completely pathetic. Use the word God or Jesus and everybody jumps. Use it with a bit of craft and charm and they’ll be shining your shoes and taking out the garbage.

5. Anonymous | Oct 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm |

The Green Party is looking better and better.

6. The Green Party is looking better and better.

7. How do we know God wants there to even be a President of the United States?

8. How do we know God wants there to even be a President of the United States?

• Anti-Crowley | Oct 20, 2011 at 10:20 am |

We don’t Andrew.  Government hijacks religion as it does with money and anything else that morally bankrupt power hungry folks do.  What political offices did the Apostles or Christ have in the New Testament?  Christ said himself when asked if he was a King “My Kingdom is not of this world.”  I applaud your comment and wish Christians would see this pathetic garble by most politicians as clearly as the people on this website.

9. Anti-Citizen1 | Oct 19, 2011 at 4:19 pm |

Better get your swords today, so you can be slayin’ demons tomorrow.

10. When does Odin plan on getting involved in this race?

11. When does Odin plan on getting involved in this race?

12. Word Eater | Oct 19, 2011 at 4:58 pm |

I’d rather vote for the candidate endorsed by Pan.

13. They must first define their concept of god.

At that point we may have an interesting conversation about superstitions, primitive tribalistic systems of belief, and man made religions as expressed over the eons.

We may also examine a variety of other very relevant concepts such as god as the machine, life in a holographic universe, existence within the computational universe, cosmological expressions of life in advancement, the universe awakening, human existence in a petri dish in an intergalactic science lab, etc.

Until then – they are simply hearing or manufacturing voices in their head and must not hold offices of power and authority unless in the confine of man made religious systems or institutions where other humans seek out self enslavement to outdated directives and control mechanisms such as catholicism, protestantism, islam, and many other human generated systems of manipulation and domination.

14. They must first define their concept of god.

• Anti-Crowley | Oct 20, 2011 at 10:28 am |

I am astounded that most people on this site think religion is the biggest problem and not government.  I laugh at the fact that you only acknowledge the abuses of government now and through history by the passing remark; “other human generated systems.”  Who are the sheeple here?

• DeepCough | Oct 21, 2011 at 12:41 pm |

You seem to forget the reason why the wall between church and state was established in the first place, dumbass.

• Anti-crowley | Oct 21, 2011 at 1:30 pm |

Okay I’m going to grab your left testicle now and I want you to take a deep breath and then…oh wait you know the deal.  DeepCough, seriously how can you guys get corralled into this stupid media driven distraction about the beginning of the Universe and what caused it when big brother pathetically plays any tool he can to manipulate the sheeple?  I agree, some ignorant Christians believe this campaign bullshit but many of us don’t.  If I tried to say a few magic words regarding your world view and said vote for me would you not see through the bullshit?  I honestly want to put sarcasm to the side for a second (no I really mean it) and plead to the common cause that brings us all to this site so often.  If we were all so different then we wouldn’t all be posting here.  You could scale the world view thing out one notch and say that we are but denominations on a larger scale.  Then ask yourself the question as to why the entire world is in revolution against their government and central banks…I have opened my fist brother.

• DeepCough | Oct 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm |

Perhaps you should spend more time actually reading what I said instead of groping my balls.

• A Christian | Oct 21, 2011 at 2:05 pm |

/initiateballgropping/initiatesarcasm/:  I refuse to stop groping your balls, do you not care one bit about the epidemic of testicular cancer plaguing our nation?  /endsarcasm/:  I have read your previous posts which is why I wonder why there is so much time dedicated on this site to mudslinging over worldview.  You Christian hating heathen?

• DeepCough | Oct 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm |

You Christian fundamentalist sex offender?

• A Christian | Oct 21, 2011 at 2:23 pm |

You must draw from my world view in order to call me a sex offender, after which I say welcome aboard brother.  If you insist on staying in your previous world view then I will keep my firm grip and demand you explain how what I am doing is wrong.

• DeepCough | Oct 21, 2011 at 3:23 pm |

Here’s what you’re doing wrong, you stupid cunt: you JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS. Get it? You’re basing your reaction on only half of what I’m saying, which is the part that strikes a chord or hits a nerve with you the most, and then you make these bad assumptions about what I’m saying with your dumbass responses. You claim I’m committing fallacy by making a quotation from Lucius Annaeus Seneca by saying I’m “pleading to authority?” Well, if I’m guilty of that logical fallacy, then you’re guilty of being a fucking hypocrite because you agree in this thread (” Government hijacks religion as it does with money and anything else that morally bankrupt power hungry folks do.”) that when government hijacks religion, it causes corruption, and that’s EXACTLY what Seneca meant by “Religion is regarded…by rulers as useful.” So how about you shove all those red herrings you pulled out right back into your unholy asshole where they belong.

15. What ever gave them the unbridled hubris to think that an entity that, according to them, was capable of bringing the entire cosmos into existence by force of will alone, would actually give a rat’s read end about who got elected?

16. What ever gave them the unbridled hubris to think that an entity that, according to them, was capable of bringing the entire cosmos into existence by force of will alone, would actually give a rat’s read end about who got elected?

17. The incredible stupidity and gullibility of the Amorikan Herd should not be underestimated.

“Candidates” will continue to say anything they think will get them into a position to screw the voters
    and enrich themselves.

If there was a god, she would have destroyed the politicians and the lawyers long ago.

18. BuzzCoastin | Oct 19, 2011 at 9:07 pm |

and enrich themselves.

19. Anti-Crowley | Oct 20, 2011 at 2:16 pm |

Why DeepCough, did you just commit the fallacy of pleading to authority?

20. Anti-Crowley | Oct 20, 2011 at 2:20 pm |

21. Anti-Crowley | Oct 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm |

22. Anti-Crowley | Oct 20, 2011 at 2:30 pm |

23. DeepCough | Oct 20, 2011 at 3:17 pm |

Did you understand what you even wrote, you Christian troll?

24. Anti-crowley | Oct 20, 2011 at 8:41 pm |

Why DeepCough, did you just commit the fallacy of ad hominem?

25. DeepCough | Oct 21, 2011 at 4:30 pm |

Anti-Crowley/
    Why you such/
    a fuckhead?

How’s that ad hominem, motherfucker?!

26. DeepCough | Oct 21, 2011 at 4:41 pm |

27. Anti-crowley | Oct 21, 2011 at 5:16 pm |

Why DeepCough, did you just commit the fallacy of ad hominem again?

28. Anti-crowley | Oct 21, 2011 at 5:20 pm |

32. DeepCough | Oct 21, 2011 at 5:50 pm |

*insert guitar solo here*

33. DeepCough | Oct 21, 2011 at 5:55 pm |

34. A Christian | Oct 21, 2011 at 6:05 pm |

35. A Christian | Oct 21, 2011 at 6:05 pm |

36. DeepCough | Oct 21, 2011 at 6:17 pm |

You Christian fundamentalist sex offender?

37. A Christian | Oct 21, 2011 at 6:23 pm |