Happy Halloween from William S. Burroughs (Remix Video)

William S. BurroughsOnce upon a time, there were witches … in this classic remix, the silent film Haxan is wed in an unholy matrimony to the laconic snarl of William S. Burroughs narrative aplomb.

For those of you with a big appetite, we’ve got a special sweet hidden away. Check out this great little recitation of Poe’s “The Red Death” — also read by William S. Burroughs — at Joe Nolan’s Insomnia.

Read and watch more at Joe Nolan’s Insomnia

, , , , , ,

10 Responses to Happy Halloween from William S. Burroughs (Remix Video)

1. dumbsaint October 31, 2010 at 1:53 am #

HAXXAN! It’s been years.

I love the bit where the nuns ( I think from memory) Are lining up to kiss Satan square on the asshole. You could get away with a lot in 1922.

2. Anonymous October 31, 2010 at 5:53 am #

HAXXAN! It’s been years.

3. $927230 October 31, 2010 at 4:25 am #

What is this guy’s appeal? It seems like people that think drugs are cool latch on to him because he seems to have been in a perpetual state of some kind of high. Don’t get me wrong, drugs are fine, but I don’t need to constantly talk about how cool it is to smoke weed. That stopped being fun around the time of ninth grade. Keep it to yourself. No one cares how much weed you smoked yesterday!

Maybe I am just not finding the right Burroughs. There has to be something to it, I mean, so many people seem to like him. Then again a lot of people seem to think that Justin Beiber and Tyler Perry are enjoyable too.

• JCR334 October 31, 2010 at 3:36 pm #

A lot of Disinfo fans are drawn here because of our love of the occult, and Burroughs was a powerful mage.

• dumbsaint October 31, 2010 at 8:47 pm #

He’s an all round fascinating bloke. I got into him as I was making my way through the other beat writers. He takes their stream of consciousness, experiential approach to writing to an extreme. Add to that a dadaist approach and a dash of science fiction and you have some mindfuck prose. It’s not for everyone but I find it’s pretty great.

He’s not merely some drug culture posterboy or whatever. He makes drug use seem downright horrible in his work (in fairness he makes a lot of things downright horrible.). One of the recent editions of Naked Lunch has an intro where he praises Naltrexone treatment (might have been methadone.) for smack.

4. Anonymous October 31, 2010 at 8:25 am #

5. JCR334 October 31, 2010 at 7:36 pm #

6. Anonymous November 1, 2010 at 12:47 am #

7. Joe Nolan November 1, 2010 at 7:48 pm #

Hey Tony, I’m down with everything Dumbsaint said. I would also point out that his books and his recordings/speaking performances are always brimming with jokes and humor, usually in the form of some kind of withering satire. He’s really a hell of a writer and his books of non-fiction essays – about writing, his love of cats, his love of knives and guns, drinking, drugs, magic and music – are jammed with interesting ideas from his unique point of view.

8. Joe Nolan November 1, 2010 at 3:48 pm #