Homeland Security Office Stages a Mock Zombie Invasion

Night of the Living DeadAn Ohio office of the Emergency Management Agency — part of the Department of Homeland Security —
will stage a mock zombie attack on Halloween using more than 225 volunteers dressed as zombies at an Ohio college.

“Organizers hoped the theme would attract more volunteers than previous simulations of industrial accidents or train crashes,” the AP reports, quoting a spokesman for the agency as saying that “People got zombie fever here in Delaware.” The exercise included decontamination procedures for hazardous materials, and was inspired by an “emergency preparedness” post on the CDC web site citing the popular fascination with zombies. (The number of zombie ebooks in Amazon’s Kindle store has increased by 13.9% in just the last two months.)

Now, “Dozens of agencies have embraced the idea,” the AP reports, “spreading the message that if you’re prepared for a zombie attack, you’re prepared for just about anything.”

40 Comments on "Homeland Security Office Stages a Mock Zombie Invasion"

1. Anti-Citizen1 | Oct 30, 2011 at 11:12 pm |

Do what?!
    I guess it’s going to be a while before we reach peak zombies.

2. Anarchy Pony | Oct 30, 2011 at 7:12 pm |

Do what?!
    I guess it’s going to be a while before we reach peak zombies.

• Anarchy Pony | Oct 31, 2011 at 12:07 am |

Hey Jin the Ninja, if you’re out there spying on my posts, I got a list of blogs you may be interested in, and hell, maybe already know about, but check ’em out.
      survivalacres.com/wordpress
      declineoftheempire.com
      billhicksisdead.blogspot.com, also known as the downward spiral.
      energybulletin.net, which isn’t exactly a blog.
      witsendnj.blogspot.com
      guymcpherson.com, also known as nature bats last.
      desdemonadespair.net
      apocadocs.com

• Whats with Jin and the crackhead demographic

• Jin The Ninja | Oct 31, 2011 at 5:10 am |

oh well it’s my good looks and charm of course….and my wicked kung fu and biting pen (as it were) probably don’t help.

• Jin The Ninja | Oct 31, 2011 at 5:07 am |

Thanks man! all these are new for me, so i appreciate it!

lol. i prefer ‘observing’ to spying. the latter sounds so…sinister…and i am a pretty alrite homie i think anyway…:P

3. Anonymous | Oct 31, 2011 at 1:30 am |

I think its better to NOT be a zombie…..but that’s just me….

4. GoodDoktorBad | Oct 30, 2011 at 9:30 pm |

I think its better to NOT be a zombie…..but that’s just me….

5. Anonymous | Oct 31, 2011 at 2:33 am |

“Mock zombie invasion” = kill everything

6. JoiquimCouteau | Oct 30, 2011 at 10:33 pm |

“Mock zombie invasion” = kill everything

7. First they came for the zombies,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a zombie…

8. First they came for the zombies,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a zombie…

9. HAHAHAHHHAHAHHAHA….THATS SO F***ING COOL!

10. Anti-Citizen1 | Oct 31, 2011 at 4:07 am |

survivalacres.com/wordpress
    declineoftheempire.com
    billhicksisdead.blogspot.com, also known as the downward spiral.
    energybulletin.net, which isn’t exactly a blog.
    witsendnj.blogspot.com
    guymcpherson.com, also known as nature bats last.
    desdemonadespair.net
    apocadocs.com

11. I think that somebody know something we don’t and are hinting at it under the guise of a joke; http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

12. I think that somebody know something we don’t and are hinting at it under the guise of a joke; http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

13. Calypso_1 | Oct 31, 2011 at 6:13 am |

you have gotten your flu shot haven’t you?

14. Anonymous | Oct 31, 2011 at 6:33 am |

Whats with Jin and the crackhead demographic

15. Simiantongue | Oct 31, 2011 at 6:42 am |

They released a public service announcement too.

16. Simiantongue | Oct 31, 2011 at 2:42 am |

They released a public service announcement too.

17. this zombie shit is getting tiresome.

18. this zombie shit is getting tiresome.

19. Icekingjr | Oct 31, 2011 at 7:41 am |

To point out the obvious: Zombies (meme) are literally a dehumanizing of fellow countrymen. In other words, it is psych-warfare / propaganda to make it easier to shoot “real” people. I have been fascinated by the rise of this meme- and looked into “other times” which zombies became vogue. For the most part, this idea of the dead coming back, seems to rise during economic down turns (70s oil embargo) and challenges to authority. It was also during the Korean war which the classic Rameros night of the living dead came out. Something to think about, when WORLD WAR Z comes out soon.

20. Icekingjr | Oct 31, 2011 at 3:41 am |

• Calypso_1 | Oct 31, 2011 at 3:54 pm |

couldn’t agree more.  I always thought it was interesting that the first Saw film was released at Sundance 3 days after the USCC queitly announced their investigation into Abu Ghraib.  The media frenzy about torture didn’t start till months later.  Memes can be both inoculant and vector – looking for patient zero can lead down some interesting rabbit holes.

21. Anonymous | Oct 31, 2011 at 9:07 am |

Thanks man! all these are new for me, so i appreciate it!

22. Anonymous | Oct 31, 2011 at 9:10 am |

oh well it’s my good looks and charm of course….and my sometimes acerbic wit and biting pen (as it were) probably don’t help.

23. Anti-Citizen1 | Oct 31, 2011 at 4:16 pm |

Well your psuedonym does contain the word ninja.

24. Anonymous | Oct 31, 2011 at 6:01 pm |

Reminds me of the kill the zombie tea party people game.

25. Anonymous | Oct 31, 2011 at 6:01 pm |

Reminds me of the kill the zombie tea party people game.

26. Banphotoradar | Oct 31, 2011 at 2:01 pm |

Reminds me of the kill the zombie tea party people game.

27. Anonymous | Oct 31, 2011 at 7:03 pm |

i am a ninja afterall;)

28. Anonymous | Oct 31, 2011 at 7:03 pm |

i am a ninja afterall;)

29. Anonymous | Oct 31, 2011 at 7:54 pm |

30. think the gov is a little late to claim credit for this trend… like way late. http://new.robotsquad.org/

31. think the gov is a little late to claim credit for this trend… like way late. http://new.robotsquad.org/