JP Morgan Chase Donates $4.6 Million To NYPD On Eve Of Protests

167451-occupy-wall-streetWondering how much it costs to buy off the police department? JP Morgan Chase just gave the New York City Police Foundation the largest donation in its history. How the police show their gratitude will presumably determine whether they receive similar donations from companies in the future. Via Naked Capitalism:

No matter how you look at this development, it does not smell right. From JP Morgan’s website, hat tip Lisa Epstein:

JPMorgan Chase recently donated an unprecedented $4.6 million to the New York City Police Foundation. The gift was the largest in the history of the foundation and will enable the New York City Police Department to strengthen security in the Big Apple. The money will pay for 1,000 new patrol car laptops, as well as security monitoring software in the NYPD’s main data center.

New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly sent CEO and Chairman Jamie Dimon a note expressing “profound gratitude” for the company’s donation.

“These officers put their lives on the line every day to keep us safe,” Dimon said. “We’re incredibly proud to help them build this program and let them know how much we value their hard work.”

Now readers can point out that this gift is bupkis relative to the budget of the police department, which is close to $4 billion. But looking at it on a mathematical basis likely misses the incentives at work. Dimon is one of the most powerful and connected corporate leaders in Gotham City. If he thinks the police donation was worthwhile, he might encourage other bank and big company CEOs to make large donations.

And what sort of benefits might JPM get? The police might be extra protective of your interests. Today, OccupyWallStreet decided to march across the Brooklyn Bridge (a proud New York tradition) to Chase Manhattan Plaza in Brooklyn. Reports in the media indicate that the police at first seemed to be encouraging the protestors not only to cross the bridge, but were walking in front of the crowd, seemingly escorting them across. Over 700 of the marchers were arrested, and the media has a rather amusing “he said, she said” account, with OccupyWallStreet claiming entrapment and the cops batting their baby blues and trying to look innocent.

We simply don’t know whether the police would have behaved one iota differently in the absence of the JP Morgan donation. But it raises the troubling perspective that they might have.

, , , , , , , , ,

189 Responses to JP Morgan Chase Donates $4.6 Million To NYPD On Eve Of Protests

1. Irishpotatogun October 3, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

They are no longer police they are paid mercenaries by King George(I mean financial elite) and should be treated as such. Fuck the Fed!

2. Irishpotatogun October 3, 2011 at 8:06 pm #

3. Honu October 3, 2011 at 4:16 pm #

What’s that I smell?….fear?  mmm…It’s zesty.

Here’s a link to crooksandliars.com  which has a clip of a fox interview with one of the protesters saying what hasn’t been said enough.

• jasonpaulhayes October 3, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

Smart guy, that was a great video … I liked when he said they need to focus on “Christ Things”, pointing out that the Church and the Board Room are inseparable at this point and that republicans are in reality being no more than distracted from real issues and made to Vote in opposing to their fundamental “Christ Like” interests. Not only their interest, but the common interest of the people as well. Corporate talking points are disseminated to the congregations so that they are made to see “financial success” and a literal blessing from god and when that power base is attacked it is effectually perceived as an attack upon god himself. It’s good to see even unaired footage of someone speaking to that truth that far too many ignore, that is what has been happening for 30 plus years since Reagan evangelized Capital Gains and in effect the White House and Congress.

In a world becoming more and more secular we cannot allow religious infighting to get in the way of the interest and well being of the people the way it does today. That is the exact reason why as Rosanne Barr said in the Kaiser Report last week “I am not for small government” we have a big job to do in removing influence from our political system by not only the “1#” but to seek an end to ancient dogmatic feuding that has been a curse upon humanity and this country for so long its a challenge to even speak to the deep and dark truth of its treachery.

• Butter Knife October 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm #

“that is what has been happening for 30 plus years since Reagan
        evangelized Capital Gains and in effect the White House and Congress”

In fairness, Jimmy Carter actually started that process. He brought the modern Evangelical movement into the government, Reagan simply excised their notions of charity and good will.

4. Honu October 3, 2011 at 8:16 pm #

What’s that I smell?….fear?  mmm…It’s zesty.

5. Okarin October 3, 2011 at 4:27 pm #

tax dollars was used to bail out the banks which gave donations to law enforcement for unspecified reason

• Okarin2 October 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

as i’m guessing the reason the police is underfunded because the tax money was channeled to the banks

6. Okarin October 3, 2011 at 8:27 pm #

7. happensdance October 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

There’s no mistaking the intent here, smells to me like bribery, wouldn’t you say? Well, the citizens have spoken and they are not happy about the ‘banksters’ taking away their lively hood. The bloody wars and crooked politics supported by these clowns (their logo by the way is that of a symbolic swastika!) has run its course and put an enormous drain on more of the economy’s supposed recovery…

8. happensdance October 3, 2011 at 8:28 pm #

9. Okarin2 October 3, 2011 at 8:28 pm #

10. jasonpaulhayes October 3, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

Smart guy, that was a great video … I liked when he said they need to focus on “Christ Things”, pointing out that the Church and the Board Room are inseparable at this point and that republicans are in reality being no more than distracted from real issues and made to Vote in opposing to their fundamental “Christ Like” interests … not only their interest but the common interest of the people.

11. paul adams October 3, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

“Now get out there and pepper spray/taze some smelly hippies”

12. paul adams October 3, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

“Now get out there and pepper spray/taze some smelly hippies”

13. Mamagriff50 October 3, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

Once again MONEY talks…..and truth and justice take a walk………SAD SO SAD

14. Mamagriff50 October 3, 2011 at 9:06 pm #

Once again MONEY talks…..and truth and justice take a walk………SAD SO SAD

15. Sangproductions183 October 3, 2011 at 5:17 pm #

When did the term ‘Conflict of Interest’ become obsolete in America?

• healingcollective October 6, 2011 at 3:49 am #

Probably sometime around when they murdered JFK…..

16. Sangproductions183 October 3, 2011 at 9:17 pm #

When did the term ‘Conflict of Interest’ become obsolete in America?

17. humding October 3, 2011 at 5:18 pm #

EDIT: I had the timing of the donation incorrect, it did occur a few months back. I believe the general theory of the piece holds (that JPMorgan Chase might not want to publicize the large amounts of money it’s giving to police right after they’ve made some questionable arrests) but I was probably too harsh on both the banks and the NYPD. I’m leaving the original text of the story up with this edit so that you can form your own opinion.

• humding October 3, 2011 at 5:48 pm #

Apparently nobody is clicking on the link I posted above.

• Jin The Ninja October 3, 2011 at 7:54 pm #

It doesn’t mean the story is invalid, on the contrary- this infers that donations are made to the PD to keep the plebs in check.

18. humding October 3, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

19. Chaorder Gradient October 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

Its official: “public” police officers are really just expensive mercenaries, and not public servent.

• Anarchy Pony October 5, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

Police don’t serve and protect justice, they serve and protect property and capital.

• Chaorder Gradient October 5, 2011 at 8:53 pm #

Well there generally accepted view, and then there’s the reality. It gets real fun when they aren’t the same, doesn’t it?

• Anarchy Pony October 6, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

Well it makes things a tiny bit more straightforward.

20. Chaorder Gradient October 3, 2011 at 9:31 pm #

21. Chaorder Gradient October 3, 2011 at 9:31 pm #

crap you beat me to it

22. Gort Gort October 3, 2011 at 9:44 pm #

Send a message: Thank You, Get Well, Condolences.

James “Jamie” L. DimonWife: Judith K. Dimon
    Res: 1185 Park Avenue, New York, New York 10128

Res: 144 Sarles Street, Mount Kisco, NY 10549-4733

Tel# (212) 423-0143 & (212) 423-0145
    Update information as needed.

23. humding October 3, 2011 at 9:48 pm #

Apparently nobody is clicking on the link I posted above.

24. humding October 3, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

I’ll post it again. The original author of this story retracted his findings. He EDITS his story and says that JP Morgan donated this money MONTHS ago.

• Jin The Ninja October 3, 2011 at 7:53 pm #

But he ALSO said he would keep original text in tact, so readers could draw their OWN conclusions.

and a retraction is an outright removal of the story. I would say in honesty he EDITED it.

• humding October 4, 2011 at 10:24 am #

The article only has impact if the donations were given on the “eve” of the protest. Without it, this story wouldn’t even be circulating.

• Jin The Ninja October 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm #

I think it has subtle impact rather than dramatic. And i think americans tend to go for the melodrama.

It’s implications are quite insidious regardless.

25. humding October 3, 2011 at 10:06 pm #

26. VoxMagi October 3, 2011 at 6:48 pm #

Now watch the backpedaling as MSM attempts to explain how money doesn’t equal influence…always assuming that this event even gets coverage for more than 30 seconds as an un-discussed soundbite.

• Sylvan339 October 12, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

Imagine if everybody got a handful of $1 bills and went down to the demonstration and start throwing them at the cops asking them, “How much to protect ME?”

27. VoxMagi October 3, 2011 at 10:48 pm #

28. Anonymous October 3, 2011 at 11:53 pm #

29. Anonymous October 3, 2011 at 11:54 pm #

30. Earthling October 3, 2011 at 8:32 pm #

I am not American, but for some reason, I think the American people are eventually going to have enough, and start kicking some ass. I also think that when that happens, the rest of the world will follow. Where I live, things are not bad enough. The people in my country are way to passive. You see, democracy isn’t really about freedom. It is just a better way to control people. Divide and rule, that’s what democracy is, the illusion of choice. If there was still a monarchy running things, the castle would have already been stormed, their heads cut off, so to speak. In democracy, who you going to blame? I mean you voted for them right, so it must be your fault. It really is the perfect scam. Government is like an old broken down expensive bus and all we do is keep changing drivers. News flash…….it’s not working. Obviously we need a system, but a system that works for all, not just the rich. Fuck corrupt government, fuck banks, fuck money and fuck authority, because no man is better or worse than another. Let the borders fall. The earth belongs to all of us. Peace.

• Stumage October 4, 2011 at 1:08 am #

Can i steak your quote about the government and bus? love it.

• MrSta October 4, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

The rest of the world will follow? What planet are you on? There’s nothing but endless protesting and rioting in Greece, Spain, and Italy. Those crazy Arabs have been a bit restive of late as well. I suspect it is more like the rest of the world is waiting for complacent, corpulent Americans to get with the programme.

Agree with the sentiments though.

• One Primate October 4, 2011 at 8:36 pm #

Greece, Spain , and Italy can’t do shit. You absolutely need the USA. In case you haven’t heard, their kinda BIG on the world stage. They are passionate people, look at their history. The youth want nothing to do with what the current generation has to offer. The “baby boomers” have done great things, don’t get me wrong, but from a young persons perspective, all they have done is suck up all the resources, take all the good jobs, and leave them nothing but debt, trash, environmental upheaval, and an absolutely fucked up situation to deal with. It does seem really bleak sometimes, but for some reason, I am totally hopeful.What will the future hold, well, we are all going to find out. We are all in it together.

• MrSta October 5, 2011 at 5:15 am #

Can’t do shit? You mean the Eurozone isn’t on the brink of breaking apart due to the troubles in Greece and the rest of southern Europe? That the markets don’t shit themselves when they think each austerity bill won’t make it through the Greek parliament? Likewise with endless panics about whether Germany will pass legislation to allow them to stump up the money for bailouts. Being big on the world stage, the EU is larger in terms of economy and population than the US. I think you’ll find those countries you so casually dismiss can do more than you think to deal some hard blows on the status quo. I find it ironic that you come out with all these right-on statements but are willing (quite wrongly) to consign *entire nations* to irrelevance because they don’t fit your theory about how things are going to pan out. Any people can be passionate, I don’t think Americans have any special claim on it.

I agree on the baby boomers, they certainly know how to take something good and turn it to shit. I’m not sure I’m as hopeful though about the future, a lot of young people strike me as being quite conservative and career-driven. Those who are radical have hopelessly muddled ideas, often reduced to ineffective and vague (not to mention over-simplistic and reductionalist) assertions about corporations, money, government, ‘the people’, etc.

• Earthling October 5, 2011 at 8:14 pm #

Me sorry. Did not mean to offend. These posts lack tone. I suppose what I was trying to say is that Greece, Spain, and Italy can’t do it alone. The EU maybe bigger in economy and population, but the USA is just one country, and the fact that this one country has so much influence is amazing. I’m not talking about just economical, but cultural influence as well, and everything that goes with that. If the USA “got with the program”, the scale would tip even more. Knowing all humans have passion when pushed to far, it’s just a matter of time. I hope it is a change of mind, rather than a violent revolution. I think we all agree its time for change, but shit, which direction to go, where to begin?

The idea that I am willing to consign entire nations to irrelevance is a projection of your own mind, which may explain the irony. I have no theory about how things are going to pan out, how could I? All I know is we are all in it together now, whether we like it or not. I am just a simple meditative man who enjoys mind, peace, and nature. I don’t feel my fellow man to be enemy, but friend. I like all the different people, cultures, and ideas that go with them. My brother has increased me. So much music, so many movies and games, so much good food, so many funny stories, and interesting ideas.

” I may be a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.”

• Sam October 12, 2011 at 12:33 am #

I hear you brother… but “economic scarcity” is a real thing. Forget countries and ideologies, they’re just layers of complexity and abstraction. The reality is economic competition. Competition for survival. Healthy, wealthy and wise versus malnourished, debt-ridden and manipulated into wage slavery.

What it boils down to, is population control. If birth rates are not controlled, nor can the allocation and distribution of resources (incl. money, food, even the things that give you “happiness”). Because we all want to reach the sky, we can’t build a system for everyone to get there at the same time, because ultimately the way to reach the sky is to climb over other people. Deng Xiaoping said everyone will become rich but some have to come first. I’m afraid that seems economically impossible. It seems to me that “rich” is relative to “poor”. Without “poor”, there cannot exist “rich”. Competition exists because we have no system. Ants have a system. Bees have a system. We have a “quasi-system in progress”. We haven’t quite resolved our differences, so our vision for a future system for all mankind is not the same… so we fight those crazy Arabs, until it starts to make sense again, why we’re here and what we stand for in the name of free choice.

• Sam October 11, 2011 at 11:48 pm #

Gotta love those crazy Arabs… they help the world make sense of itself.

• ThinkSkeptic October 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

We don’t live in a democracy, it’s a republic

• Max Schneider October 4, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

Its a Democratic Republic, or a Representative Democracy.

• Jdp63 November 5, 2011 at 9:35 am #

Wrong. Please cite the source. Mine is the U.S. Constitution, which guarantees us a republican form of government.

• ladyred October 4, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

I agree with you about needing a new system….how about this…..”And in the days of those kings (our present rulers)…the God of heaven will set up a kingdom (government) that will not will never be brought to ruin.  And the kingdom itself will not be passed on to any other people.  It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite.” Daniel 2:44 This is our Real Answer ..and government ruled by God…not man….pray to find the “truth” and if you are of an honest heart ….God will open your eyes to it.

• Ea07306007 October 4, 2011 at 6:07 pm #

billions  of years waiting for that to happen. keep waiting

• sonicbphuct October 5, 2011 at 8:31 am #

maybe you missed the dark ages – when the government was “GOD”, and the pope anointed the kings. Yeah – we gave god’s rulership a chance, but it was not better.

Thanks for playing!

• Anarchy Pony October 5, 2011 at 8:13 pm #

You keep waiting, the plutocrats like that.

• FreedomThroughLaw October 17, 2011 at 10:50 pm #

You had me until you started cursing.  Then I realized you are an anarchist.  No thank you.  I like living under the Rule of Law, because I like personal safety AND I like to be able to influence laws to change.  Sure, it takes time.  But I have successfully influenced laws to change in the past, and will so again.

31. Earthling October 4, 2011 at 12:32 am #

32. Tchoutoye October 3, 2011 at 9:03 pm #

Or alternatively, since the laptops and software were on the municipal budget anyway, 306,666 extra cans of mace.

33. Anonymous October 4, 2011 at 1:03 am #

34. DeepCough October 4, 2011 at 1:09 am #

FUCK THE POLICE.

35. DeepCough October 3, 2011 at 9:09 pm #

FUCK THE POLICE.

• Redacted October 4, 2011 at 12:31 am #

COMING STRAIGHT FROM THE UNDERGROUND

• sonicbphuct October 5, 2011 at 9:24 am #

YOUNG PROTESTERS GOT IT BAD CAUSE THEY DON’T GOT A GOLD CROWN…

36. Victoria R Liu October 4, 2011 at 1:18 am #

Perhaps the gift was completely unrelated to OWS, but a PR move in response to the 10th anniversary of 9-11.

Out of the desire for truth beyond propaganda, I would hesitate to
    immediately make the association between the two. I can’t find any
    mainstream news sites beyond HuffPo that speak of the gift. JP Morgan’s
    website doesn’t post a date. The best thing I can find via Google
    search is someone posting a link to the page in a forum. The post is
    dated 10-1-11. http://tickerforum.org/akcs-www?post=195222

Even if the poster had posted this immediately as the gift was made
    public, this means the gift was announced well in advance of the start
    of the OWS protests on 9-17-11 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_Wall_Street.

Additionally, as someone who raises donations for a living, I can tell
    you that a gift of that magnitude typically takes months, if not years
    of cultivation to attract. While I don’t know the nature of how this
    gift came about, it is unlikely it was directly correlated to the
    anticipation of the OWS protests.

IMHO, for Disinfo to publish
    something like this discredits them from the clarity of light that the
    truth has the potential to bring, and instead, lowers them into the same
    disgusting quagmire that FoxNews and its affiliates fester within.

37. Victoria R Liu October 3, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

Out of the desire for truth beyond propaganda, I would hesitate to
    immediately make the association between the two. I can’t find any
    mainstream news sites beyond HuffPo that speak of the gift. JP Morgan’s
    website doesn’t post a date. The best thing I can find via Google
    search is someone posting a link to the page in a forum. The post is
    dated 10-1-11. http://tickerforum.org/akcs-www?post=195222

Even if the poster had posted this immediately as the gift was made
    public, this means the gift was announced well in advance of the start
    of the OWS protests on 9-17-11 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_Wall_Street.

Additionally, as someone who raises donations for a living, I can tell
    you that a gift of that magnitude typically takes months, if not years
    of cultivation to attract. While I don’t know the nature of how this
    gift came about, it is unlikely it was directly correlated to the
    anticipation of the OWS protests.

IMHO, for Disinfo to publish
    something like this discredits them from the clarity of light that the
    truth has the potential to bring, and instead, lowers them into the same
    disgusting quagmire that FoxNews and its affiliates fester within.

• Monkey See Monkey Do October 4, 2011 at 1:58 am #

At least this article points out that the NYPD are in the pocket of the major banking cartels. All you seem to be doing is drawing straws and diverting attention from the real point.

• Tuna Ghost October 4, 2011 at 4:12 am #

But the “real point” of the article makes it seem as if the donation was given in light of the protests, when that clearly isn’t true.

• Ea07306007 October 4, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

are you a cop?

• Tuna Ghost October 7, 2011 at 3:04 am #

If I’m not with you, I’m against you, eh?  Where have I heard that before…

• sonicbphuct October 5, 2011 at 9:22 am #

Actually Tuna, I think the point of the article was buying favoritism. The Disinfo Headline is likely inaccurate, at least with the part “… on the eve of the protests”, however, in reading the article, I got a very different “real point”. That point being that the NYPD gets private funding and it likely impacts how it does its job – e.g. VIP Customers get VIP treatment.

• Tuna Ghost October 7, 2011 at 3:10 am #

I would never discount the notion that the NYPD knows which side its bread is buttered, so to speak, but the headline sort of creates this scene where an older gentleman in a nice suit is pulling handfuls of money from a bag with a dollar sign and throwing it at cops while saying “here, be a good chap and take care of that inconvenient rabble, won’t you?  There’s a good boy.”

Frankly, I’m all for private donations to the police force, and higher wages as well–maybe if they got paid more the job would attract more competent, educated people with notions of community service rather than bullies looking for a bigger playground, groping their erections as they taze a hipster during a protest.

• Sylvan339 October 12, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

Corruption is a top-down disease.   Human nature tends toward behaving badly as long as someone else says it is the thing to do.

• VoxMagi October 4, 2011 at 12:31 pm #

Wall St has been on America’s shit list for a decade…so they got around to paying out the bribe this month during a protest…doesn’t matter…the point still stands…private corporations pouring millions into police budgets (instead of letting themselves be taxed at a rate that would cover even more than such gifts) creates a relationship of give and take…a sense of kinship and dependence…and if put to the test would the police of NYPD want to ruin a revenue stream during tough times? Its a terrible precedent to set.

To give a smaller picture…we have a politician/real estate guy in my home town who donates gifts to the police regularly. Boats, cash, equipment etc. Needless to say…that same pol has never been arrested or formally investigated for the hiring of prostitutes, the periodic parties and use of illegal substances, the ownership and brandishing of unregistered firearms while intoxicated, drunk driving or any of the other shady land deals he’s been hip deep in for years. As long as that goose lays gold eggs…the cops here won’t touch him with a ten foot pole.

The same issue applies in NY…whether the donations were planned months ago or not. The dissatisfaction with Wall St has been brewing for a decade…with the last 3 years being signature moments of public hatred for bad policy and deliberate graft. It isn’t a question…they are buying influence…and it should be made illegal to do so.

• Ea07306007 October 4, 2011 at 6:23 pm #

but I  bet you  either work with the bankers or are one of them or some how relate to them.

38. Battleshiphips October 4, 2011 at 1:19 am #

http://cityarts.info/2011/06/14/new-york%E2%80%99s-finest/#respond Except the donation was really made on the eve of the New York City Police Foundation’s 40th anniversary gala on June 3rd. But let’s not let facts get in the way of a really good protest freakout.

39. Battleshiphips October 3, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

• Jin The Ninja October 3, 2011 at 9:25 pm #

it’s called, ” conflict of interest”

let’s not let principles and ethics get in the way of corporate state-sponsored talking points..

• Victoria R Liu October 3, 2011 at 10:40 pm #

Really, a conflict of interest?  They gave the gift months in advance of this protest even being planned.  You must be referring to something else.  What exactly?

I’m surprised Disinfo hasn’t taken/amended this article yet–disinformation indeed.

• Redacted October 4, 2011 at 12:29 am #

Did you just come here to angst?

You bitchy little girls come on here with your tl;dr and BAWWWW and it’s just so sad.

• sonicbphuct October 5, 2011 at 8:53 am #

isn’t it amazing that a Public Government Body isn’t funded through Taxes? Perhaps that is EXACTLY what is being pointed out here – that the Rich can buy “Law Enforcement”, but the poor just pay their taxes. Btw, how much did JP Morgan pay in City, State & Federal taxes? OH YEAH!!! And this “gift” is tax deductible. Isn’t that nice.

So, Victoria, what was your point, EXACTLY?

• Sylvan339 October 12, 2011 at 2:40 pm #

Oh ya, I’d get over a $4.6 million dollar donation in a few months.  What have they done for them lately, right?

• Horace Boothroyd III October 4, 2011 at 1:29 am #

The police term is “Appearance of Impropriety”

• humding October 3, 2011 at 10:35 pm #

I posted a similar story below. Thanks.

• Sylvan339 October 12, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Oh please, what a lame cover-up, everybody, especially the police on the street, understands what it means when you donate to the “policeman’ ball” or to the “widows & orphans fund.”  The majority of the cops were bought off by JPM’s donation and the ones that weren’t have been coerced into playing along.  This will get ugly.

40. Anonymous October 4, 2011 at 1:25 am #

it’s called, ” conflict of interest”

41. humding October 4, 2011 at 2:35 am #

I posted a similar story below. Thanks.

42. Victoria R Liu October 4, 2011 at 2:40 am #

43. Gator Joe October 4, 2011 at 3:17 am #

The bankers took advantage of the idiotic system.  Change the system.  Going after “people” is always worthless, like many revolutions you have to push an intelligent new system the masses understand.  Tired of anger and the lack of organized thought in these whine-fests disguised as protests.

44. Gator Joe October 3, 2011 at 11:17 pm #

45. Anonymous October 4, 2011 at 4:29 am #

Did you just come here to angst?

46. Anonymous October 4, 2011 at 4:31 am #

COMING STRAIGHT FROM THE UNDERGROUND

47. Godozo October 4, 2011 at 5:05 am #

I sorta wonder if the Donation was planned well-ahead of time, to give the Police time to bulk-up before the “We Are The 99%” protests.

This, of course, posits the idea that the protests were planned ahead of time by the same people who had set up the nation to be looted by the banks…so as to have the opposition let off steam (and a portion to be culled) in time for passivity to set in for the 2012 elections. So by then the people on the Republican side would be energized at the same time the Democratic/Green side would be demoralized.

Yes, a conspiracy theory. But then, considering that Conspiracies have existed in the past…

48. Godozo October 4, 2011 at 1:05 am #

• sonicbphuct October 5, 2011 at 10:09 am #

it could also posit that there are “spies” placed into the movement, from which information could be proactively acted upon … which is much less theory and well borne out by a cursory read of the Co-Intelpro (and’s it’s bastard child, Co-Intelpro 2.0) stories. Of course, until those “reports” turn up, or the spies are found, it remains accusation, albeit a historically viable one.

49. Stumage October 4, 2011 at 5:08 am #

Can i steak your quote about the government and bus? love it.

50. Horace Boothroyd III October 4, 2011 at 5:29 am #

The police term is “Appearance of Impropriety”

51. Monkey See Monkey Do October 4, 2011 at 5:58 am #

52. David W. Dukes October 4, 2011 at 6:50 am #

The payoffs and the ripoffs…

53. David W. Dukes October 4, 2011 at 2:50 am #

The payoffs and the ripoffs…

54. Tuna Ghost October 4, 2011 at 8:12 am #

55. Hank Lee October 4, 2011 at 12:09 pm #

Compromised police…enemy of American people

56. Hank Lee October 4, 2011 at 12:09 pm #

Compromised police…enemy of American people

57. Hank Lee October 4, 2011 at 8:09 am #

Compromised police…enemy of American people

58. Nunsigur October 4, 2011 at 12:56 pm #

This is bad reporting. The donations happened back in June, but the news articles going around are making it out to be recent donations. Truth is, the donations happened way before OWS started. Don’t get me wrong, I sympathize with the protestors, but I also believe in good reporting – and this just isn’t.

59. Nunsigur October 4, 2011 at 8:56 am #

60. humding October 4, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

61. Butter Knife October 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm #

“that is what has been happening for 30 plus years since Reagan
    evangelized Capital Gains and in effect the White House and Congress”

62. Anonymous October 4, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

63. VoxMagi October 4, 2011 at 4:31 pm #

64. Jeffrey ten G. October 4, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

“These officers put their lives on the line every day to keep us safe” FALSE (in this case)

65. Jeffrey ten G. October 4, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

We don’t live in a democracy, it’s a republic

66. ThinkSkeptic October 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

67. Anonymous October 4, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

It’s implications are quite insidious regardless.

68. ladyred October 4, 2011 at 8:21 pm #

69. Downtowngrl October 4, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

This donation was actually made months ago. If you believe that JP Morgan Chase is afraid of these protestors you’re an idiot. Get your facts right.

70. Downtowngrl October 4, 2011 at 5:37 pm #

• sonicbphuct October 5, 2011 at 10:03 am #

If you get your facts from headlines, that explains your ineptitude at understanding the story. While JP Morgan Chase may be a Corporate Person, I don’t honestly think you believe they are capable of fear anymore than they are of love; that said, the story was about buying off the police, about what I perceive as legal corruption.

But, the headline should be changed for those who can’t understand the stories.

71. Ea07306007 October 4, 2011 at 10:07 pm #

billions  of years waiting for that to happen. keep waiting

72. Ea07306007 October 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm #

73. Ea07306007 October 4, 2011 at 10:25 pm #

are you a cop?

74. Krimo October 4, 2011 at 10:45 pm #

Time to organize a CNT AMERIKA somewhere in the world and send an army to liberate  the US freedom fighters from the NYPD/Morgan army.
    Of course the police and the army will crush any movement in this country. Remember,this is not a democracy( that one is for export) but a one headed two party system.
    Now we have to find a way to get that article tp Fox news and CNN, with cc to ElDjazeera

75. Krimo October 4, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

76. One Primate October 5, 2011 at 12:36 am #

77. Zarjac2011 October 5, 2011 at 1:19 am #

Cockroaches, pigs, maggots, rats and a few more names. If the legal system does not respect the people, then the people should return that favor in kind. It seems high time we take a look at our international neighbors and take action. Better to overthrow tyrrany than to live as a slave. Maybe time to consider an inssurection..

78. Zarjac2011 October 5, 2011 at 1:19 am #

79. Zarjac2011 October 4, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

80. Zarjac2011 October 5, 2011 at 1:24 am #

The police are now similar to South American legal systems where they gorge in bribes, rape and fondle women (Fullerton, CA police department) and act like the criminals they are monitoring (Rampart Station-L.A.) as well as lying, cheating and stealing evidence.

81. Zarjac2011 October 4, 2011 at 9:24 pm #

82. Max Schneider October 5, 2011 at 1:53 am #

Its a Democratic Republic, or a Representative Democracy.

83. Anonymous October 5, 2011 at 9:15 am #

84. Anonymous October 5, 2011 at 12:31 pm #

Thanks for playing!

85. Anonymous October 5, 2011 at 12:31 pm #

Thanks for playing!

86. Anonymous October 5, 2011 at 12:31 pm #

Thanks for playing!

87. Anonymous October 5, 2011 at 12:53 pm #

So, Victoria, what was your point, EXACTLY?

88. Anonymous October 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm #

89. Anonymous October 5, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

YOUNG PROTESTERS GOT IT BAD CAUSE THEY DON’T GOT A GOLD CROWN…

90. Anonymous October 5, 2011 at 2:03 pm #

But, the headline should be changed for those who can’t understand the stories.

91. Anonymous October 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

92. Anonymous October 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

93. Anonymous October 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

94. Anonymous October 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

95. Wanooski October 6, 2011 at 12:13 am #

You keep waiting, the plutocrats like that.

96. Earthling October 6, 2011 at 12:14 am #

” I may be a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.”

97. Wanooski October 6, 2011 at 12:15 am #

98. Chaorder Gradient October 6, 2011 at 12:53 am #

99. Chaorder Gradient October 6, 2011 at 12:53 am #

100. Anonymous October 6, 2011 at 7:49 am #

Probably sometime around when they murdered JFK…..

101. Wanooski October 6, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

Well it makes things a tiny bit more straightforward.

102. Tuna Ghost October 7, 2011 at 7:04 am #

If I’m not with you, I’m against you, eh?  Where have I heard that before…

103. Tuna Ghost October 7, 2011 at 7:10 am #

104. Valeria October 9, 2011 at 9:09 am #

So some people have finally woken up from their long slumber.It is human nature to act when it got so damn bad.! Power to the people and the more people are united in thoughts the energy of change can only accelerate.The changes do not happen over night but the seed for equality has been sown and the future generation will adjust it’s views based on positive changes occurring now.But the attention the OWS has also brought with it many hidden agendas and corruptions like the piece on this story today.There will be more corrupt practices exposed as long as the people speak up and voice their opinions and concerns.MY BEST WISHES TO ALL WHO CARES ABOUT THEIR FUTURE.

105. Valeria October 9, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

106. Hor8io69 October 10, 2011 at 8:57 am #

I don’t think it quite happened like that
    Granted it is a rather large gift….

107. Hor8io69 October 10, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

I don’t think it quite happened like that
    Granted it is a rather large gift….

108. David McIntosh October 10, 2011 at 5:27 pm #

Protestors should have been pushed off the bridge instead of arrested. Try that crap in Birmingham and see if you don’t get run over by someone who don’t care that you can’t get a job because you majored in something useless.

• Andrew October 10, 2011 at 6:11 pm #

Move to China.  You’ll like things better there.

109. David McIntosh October 10, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

110. Andrew October 10, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

Move to China.  You’ll like things better there.

111. lol@banks October 11, 2011 at 1:23 am #

Hahahahahaha bribe much?

112. lol@banks October 10, 2011 at 9:23 pm #

Hahahahahaha bribe much?

113. Sam October 12, 2011 at 3:48 am #

Gotta love those crazy Arabs… they help the world make sense of itself.

114. Sam October 12, 2011 at 3:55 am #

We’re all in it together, even with the crazy Arabs ;-)

115. Sam October 12, 2011 at 3:55 am #

We’re all in it together, even with the crazy Arabs ;-)

116. Sam October 12, 2011 at 3:55 am #

We’re all in it together, even with the crazy Arabs ;-)

117. Sam October 12, 2011 at 4:33 am #

118. Sylvan339 October 12, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

119. Sylvan339 October 12, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

120. Sylvan339 October 12, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

121. Sylvan339 October 12, 2011 at 6:53 pm #

122. Jon October 14, 2011 at 9:19 am #

I haven’t read all of the comments so I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned but I wanted to point out that the donations were made in 2010 as published on JP Morgan Chase’s website (http://www.jpmorganchase.com/corporate/Home/article/ny-13.htm).  Regardless, the donation was probably written off and given with the intention of culling favor from the PD for then future events such as the present protests.

This article is only speculation tethered to cleverly manipulated language.  No donations were made on the “eve” of anything.  The point in mentioning that is that readers should be reminded not to react to reactionary political writing.  American politics boils down to emotional/reactionary garbage and readers should make sure that they don’t gobble up too much of anyone or any side’s propagating.  Buying into writing like this is no better than watching and believing what they tell you on Fox news or CNN or listening to any modern politician’s rhetoric.

Readers: remember that language is a tool that everyone’s using to sway opinion or cause reaction.  Get pure facts and form your own opinions.

At any rate – my thinking about the protests?  There’s too much money in our government and I’m down for a revolution.  Think about Ronald Reagan – that guy was an actor and used to be a poster boy for tobacco and whatever other products.  Obvious examples of money in office: Dick Cheney.  Another obvious example in a foreign government: Lee Myung Bak (President Republic of Korea; former chairman of Hyundai group and also known in the business world as the Bulldozer).  Presidencies are business opportunities and people don’t care because they’re too distracted by whatever the media gives them to react to.

TLDR: DON’T BUY INTO PROPAGANDA FROM EITHER SIDE EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU AGREE WITH IT.  READ, ANALYZE LANGUAGE AND COMPARE TO FACTS

123. Jon October 14, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

124. FreedomThroughLaw October 18, 2011 at 2:50 am #

125. Eric Yeager October 23, 2011 at 3:44 am #

This is seriously fucked up… kill the banks… end the Fed!

126. Eric Yeager October 23, 2011 at 7:44 am #

This is seriously fucked up… kill the banks… end the Fed!

127. Jdp63 November 5, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

128. Misc November 16, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

Psst.. the article cites JPMorgan Chase, as direct reference, but Chase says that these donations were made in 2010. That is certainly not on the “eve” of protests that started in September of 2011.

Link (same as in article): http://www.jpmorganchase.com/corporate/Home/article/ny-13.htm?TB_iframe=true&height=580&width=850

Quote: Beginning in 2010, JPMorgan Chase donated technology, time and resources
    valued at $4.6 million to the New York City Police Foundation…

129. Misc November 16, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

Quote: Beginning in 2010, JPMorgan Chase donated technology, time and resources
    valued at $4.6 million to the New York City Police Foundation…

130. Misc November 16, 2011 at 12:56 pm #

Quote: Beginning in 2010, JPMorgan Chase donated technology, time and resources
    valued at $4.6 million to the New York City Police Foundation…

131. Simontempler6666 November 17, 2011 at 7:55 am #

this is a site were dropouts and those who cant make it in the real world go because the truth is this protesting has changed nothing same as all the protesting in the past. so if you not trying to be rich don’t expect the rich to give a dam about you it not their responsibility to

132. Simontempler6666 November 17, 2011 at 11:55 am #

133. lizz November 18, 2011 at 1:57 pm #

If you actually read the JPMorgan website, and not just trust this “news website”, you’ll see that it says “starting in 2010″ JPMorgan donated the money.  So occupy wall street wasn’t even in existence….

134. lizz November 18, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

135. Peter Gatliff November 19, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

History repeating itsself, it was JP Morgan that funded the attempted over throw of the US Government in 1934. It was called the “Business Plot” can be found on Google.

136. Peter Gatliff November 20, 2011 at 1:42 am #

137. velveteir December 13, 2011 at 11:31 pm #

The issue here isn’t whether the NYPD would have acted differently if JP Morgan didn’t bribe them. Rather, the issue is that they accepted a bribe which is corrupt, illegal, and point blank motivated them toward their disgusting display of brutality that transpired.

What JP Morgan failed to realize in their cost of this bribe is that those responsible face investigation and law suits. Not to mention, their reputation has been drug through the mud and hung. What goes around comes around.

138. velveteir December 13, 2011 at 7:31 pm #