Occupy Wall Street: College Students Urged To Walk Out Today

OccupyCollegesMark Memmott writes on NPR:

As the Occupy Wall Street protests enter their 19th day and continue to spread well beyond lower Manhattan, there’s word from the related “Occupy Colleges” movement that a “nationwide college student walk out” has been called for noon today.

Right now (8 a.m. ET) the website lists 75 colleges where walkouts are expected to happen. The reference to noon is to the local time at each school, the website indicates.

More on NPR

22 Comments on "Occupy Wall Street: College Students Urged To Walk Out Today"

1. Anonymous | Oct 5, 2011 at 5:30 pm |

Walked out 😀

2. FusionSaint | Oct 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm |

Walked out 😀

3. Anonymous | Oct 5, 2011 at 5:35 pm |

Don’t do it. College is your only chance to one day become the oppressor rather than the oppressed.

4. Redacted | Oct 5, 2011 at 1:35 pm |

• StillAtMyMoms | Oct 5, 2011 at 7:07 pm |

Ha!  That’s a laugh!  I’m sitting here….at my mom’s (hence the screen name) with two economically viable college degrees that so far only seem to be advantageous for ranting on internet comment boards!

Fuck higher education.  It’s another great swindle along with credit cards and other forms of usury.  I say to get a real education, do it Will Hunting style: in a freakin’ library!

5. Anonymous | Oct 5, 2011 at 5:39 pm |

Next stop:  One-day nation-wide general strike, a la Greece.

6. Liam_McGonagle | Oct 5, 2011 at 1:39 pm |

Next stop:  One-day nation-wide general strike, a la Greece.

• E.B. Wolf | Oct 5, 2011 at 3:55 pm |

Might as well make it a weekly thing. 4 day work week! Woo-hoo! (just don’t apply it to bartenders)

7. The_Prof | Oct 5, 2011 at 6:30 pm |

I just gave a quiz to my class and assigned some targeted reading…. I think some of those that didn’t show got better grades than if they had shown up. I am left to only wonder about how poorly they would do – as opposed to them proving to me exactly how bad they would have done.

8. The_Prof | Oct 5, 2011 at 2:30 pm |

• sounds like a shitty teacher

• Redacted | Oct 6, 2011 at 4:52 am |

You should start shooting students who fail. See what their grades are then.

• Jin The Ninja | Oct 9, 2011 at 5:37 pm |

if his university uses a curved grading scheme- wouldn’t the inevitably decreasing class pop’n result in more “f’s” and thus more deaths? in fact would there be ANY students left at the end of the day?

9. sounds like a shitty teacher

10. E.B. Wolf | Oct 5, 2011 at 7:55 pm |

11. close but not there yet, though the people know that a college degree doesn’t get you far, people will still believe that it does otherwise there’s a mental conflict of why they’re there as it is only supported by the feeling that it is better then having no degree, that is until the student debt bubble pops

12. close but not there yet, though the people know that a college degree doesn’t get you far, people will still believe that it does otherwise there’s a mental conflict of why they’re there as it is only supported by the feeling that it is better then having no degree, that is until the student debt bubble pops

13. Anonymous | Oct 5, 2011 at 11:07 pm |

14. Anonymous | Oct 6, 2011 at 8:52 am |

You should start shooting students who fail. See what their grades are then.

15. Anonymous | Oct 6, 2011 at 9:59 am |