Occupying Wall Street and Now Publishing Too

Occupy Wall Street JournalColin Moynihan writes in the NY Times:

Just before noon, Chelsea Potter stood on the corner of Broadway and Liberty Street holding a sheaf of newspapers and offering them to passers-by.

“Excuse me,” she said to a man in a tan raincoat. “Would you like a copy of the Occupied Wall Street Journal?”

The man accepted the paper without breaking stride then looked at it as he continued walking. Over the last two weeks, as people participating in a protest called Occupy Wall Street have called attention to what they say are inequities in the economic system, the ways in which news organizations have covered the protests have been a subject of hot debate.

Some protesters have wished aloud for reporting more in line with their own conception of themselves. Now, they have their own newspaper. It debuted on Saturday with a print run of 50,000, after two independent journalists in New York started a campaign using the online fund-raising platform Kickstarter.

More in the NY Times

, , , , ,

7 Responses to Occupying Wall Street and Now Publishing Too

1. Anonymous October 3, 2011 at 7:03 am #

We have to keep pushing. This is how Revolutions begin.

2. Redacted October 3, 2011 at 3:03 am #

We have to keep pushing. This is how Revolutions begin.

It is to my shame I will have to endeavor as a single Infantryman. I will try to train more.

This was a bit unexpected.

3. Watching October 3, 2011 at 10:42 am #

I’m surprised this whole think took off the way it did. Hard to say now how far it will go. It has the potential to turn ugly real fast, all it takes is a few agent provacatuers to turn this whole thing into a meat grinder. My guess is that within a week or two, the powers that be within Wall Street will finally say, OK we can’t let this thing go on any longer, so they hire people to pose as protestors go on a rampage or get into a confrotation with the police, and “BAM!” the whole thing goes up in a tender box followed by waves of tear gas, broken glass, fires, shock grenades, tasers, rubber bullets, paddy wagons, and finally, FEMA camps. If they can create enough chaos and backlash, the next step is a curfew and road blocks (“show us your papers”). With the health problems I have, I’ll have to watch this one play out from the virtual sidelines and hope my paranoid intuition about things to come is wrong.

4. Watching October 3, 2011 at 6:42 am #

5. Anonymous October 3, 2011 at 3:57 pm #

………….

6. Okarin October 3, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

i wondered how playing w.o.w helped contribute to their raiding organization skills

7. Okarin October 3, 2011 at 8:34 pm #