Some Occupy Protesters Find Ben & Jerry’s Support Hard to Swallow

Occupy Ben & Jerry'sDailyFinanceAOL’s reports on the beginning of the co-option of the Occupy Movement. (So does this mean the protesters won’t be hunting down the rich and killing them? ; )

Ben & Jerry’s fed 600 protesters ice cream at Occupy Wall Street’s home base in New York’s Zuccotti Park on Tuesday. The Vermont-based ice cream vendor is the first large company to have declared public support of the movement, expressing its “deepest admiration” for the protesters in a statement released last weekend via the company’s website.

At the protest’s Food Committee headquarters in the center of Zuccotti park, hungry protesters line up to be served by volunteers in aprons, who rush around to keep donated food plentifully stocked on long buffet tables. On Tuesday afternoon, the free ice cream — served with little fanfare and no corporate logos — was devoured within hours.

But that evening, protesters expressed mixed feelings about corporations latching onto their cause. Some, like Jules Caldarera, a 20-year-old student from New Mexico, were excited to see support from a high-profile company like Ben & Jerry’s. Many didn’t realize that the ice cream was from Ben & Jerry’s. Others found it strange that any company would support an anti-corporate protest …

Read more here.

86 Comments on "Some Occupy Protesters Find Ben & Jerry’s Support Hard to Swallow"

1. Look at these tools.
    I hate to say this but they are being used ( the people occupying)

B&J is a shill care bear company like StarBUCKS.
    they act like caring is sharing and all this shit but it’s a joke.

Any educated person could tell that all these companys care about is maximum profits.
    and they knew by giving out “free samples” that they would see a increase in sales. Knowing the knee jerk reaction from people wanting to feel good about supporting that company.

Typical idiot: “Oh god look at Ben & Jerry, they are so nice I think I will buy that Ice cream to support those good people”

2. Look at these tools.
    I hate to say this but they are being used ( the people occupying)

B&J is a shill care bear company like StarBUCKS.
    they act like caring is sharing and all this shit but it’s a joke.

3. I mean i know theres big corporations and stuff and they’re all evil etc. etc.

But is at all possible that there are real human beings running any of these corporations that feel the protestors have some valuable complaints? Any possibility at all?

I’m willing to accept that maybe they all sold their soul to get where they are, but I don’t think its completely impossible that at least a handful of them regret it just a little bit.

Even if their soul is as black as can be, their lifeblood is being sucked away the same way the rest of them are (after all, even Ben&Jerry’s is part of the 99%…….)

4. I mean i know theres big corporations and stuff and they’re all evil etc. etc.

• Anarchy Pony | Oct 15, 2011 at 3:20 pm |

Well, corporations are evil as an institution, like slavery was evil as an institution, sure the people in charge may be good people, they may care, a particular slave master may have treated his slaves very well, doesn’t change the fact that the institution is still evil. Driving toward profit regardless of the larger consequences is almost a definitive example of pathological behavior.

5. Mr Willow | Oct 15, 2011 at 7:55 am |

It could very well be an attempt at a co-opt, but considering that the ice-cream arrived without being a production of some sort, none of it bore logos of any kind, and many people discovered well afteward that it was, in fact, from Ben & Jerry’s I doubt it.

I am decidedly ambivalent. On the one hand—as stated in the article—Unilever, their owner, is ‘neutral’ on the matter, and (I can guess) is at least a little uneasy about one of its subsidiaries not only stating public support for an anti-corporate movement, but giving their product to said movement for free (again, without logos, fan fair, or any sort of ‘yeah, we support you. . . buy our product!’ undercurrent to it). On the other hand—again, as pointed out in the article—the founders of Ben & Jerry’s fought against their initial buyout, they fought them to keep in place fair trade ingredients, and it pays its employees in Vermont well above minimum wage. Perhaps they are genuine in their support, and have a desire to participate in this somewhat indirect fashion.

It could be a sign of dissension within the ranks. . .

6. Mr Willow | Oct 15, 2011 at 7:55 am |

It could be a sign of dissension within the ranks. . .

7. Mr Willow | Oct 15, 2011 at 3:55 am |

It could very well be an attempt at a co-opt, but considering that the ice-cream arrived without being a production of some sort, none of it bore logos of any kind, and many people discovered well afterward that it was, in fact, from Ben & Jerry’s I doubt it.

It could be a sign of dissension within the ranks. . .

• Interesting. Really I feel the insanity of everything is bleeding into people’s viewpoints. As an extreme analogy complaining about the B&J donations because its a subsidiary of Unilever, is similar to having suspicions of ulterior motives of a german guy giving a beggar some cash because *gasp* some guy named hitler started the holocausts and oh my! he was german too!

8. Anonymous | Oct 15, 2011 at 8:56 am |

walk to alice’s and eat cake

9. weisseharre | Oct 15, 2011 at 4:56 am |

walk to alice’s and eat cake

10. B&N has a dinstinct taste, i bet most knew. if B&N wanted to donate they should have bought real food like fresh produce which could be really anonymous and helpful. this is an outrage, they are just trying to feel like they are not part of the problem but large ice cream operation equals obese people. they should have stayed small time like a gourmet new york restaurant only enthusiasts know. plus lactose causes stomach problems in most, not wat i want to be having while trying to be a minimalist at a protest.

11. B&N has a dinstinct taste, i bet most knew. if B&N wanted to donate they should have bought real food like fresh produce which could be really anonymous and helpful. this is an outrage, they are just trying to feel like they are not part of the problem but large ice cream operation equals obese people. they should have stayed small time like a gourmet new york restaurant only enthusiasts know. plus lactose causes stomach problems in most, not wat i want to be having while trying to be a minimalist at a protest.

12. B&J * its early and im on tiny keyboard 😛

13. I support Occupy Wall Street completely, but my first thought reading this was “the same protesters complaining that they couldn’t get service at Burger King are complaining about getting free unbranded service from Ben & Jerry’s?”

14. I support Occupy Wall Street completely, but my first thought reading this was “the same protesters complaining that they couldn’t get service at Burger King are complaining about getting free unbranded service from Ben & Jerry’s?”

15. I support Occupy Wall Street completely, but my first thought reading this was “the same protesters complaining that they couldn’t get service at Burger King are complaining about getting free unbranded service from Ben & Jerry’s?”

16.  oh boo hoo!  Go cry in your emo hole of despair.  It must have been a terrible ordeal for you…

17. I was at Liberty Square yesterday. I wouldn’t say that the Ice Cream was “unbranded”. They had B+J umbrellas out, and every cone had the B+J logo on the paper holder. There was absolutely NO question about WHO was supplying the Ice Cream.

Having been fortunate enough to get a free vanilla cone in the midst of the downpour, I thought it was a nice sentiment that they were there in support. I’m not going to go out an buy stock in the company, but I’m not going to turn down a free ice cream either. It made getting soaked a bit more tolerable, and that seemed to be the general consensus that I witnessed personally.

Most of the people who got in line were asking “how much” a cone cost, and seemed generally surprised that they weren’t vending there. Although someone may have brought this up at the GA (which I didn’t see), I never witnessed an overarching “I can’t believe that they were here” vibe either. I think most folks were like “Cool! Free ice cream!” (although I am not speaking for the group). This article appears to be along the lines of the anti-anti-corporate propaganda going on, ie: “the protesters hate corporations, and are Tweeting the revolution from their Apple computers and iPhones” crap that keeps getting brought up by the media. Much ado about nothing, and certainly not worth an article on AOL finance. There was MUCH cooler stuff that occurred yesterday, like not getting evicted from the park!

18. LOL I posted a link to an article in a thread down several days ago that I read that talks a bit more about Ben & Jerry’s – which is the ice cream division of the Unilever, Corporation, a $60 billion company whose CEO makes millions.

“… endorsement of the “movement” provides an opportunity
    for the ice cream  division of Unilever to engage purchasers through
    experiential promotional activations uniquely targeted to the brand’s
    demographic and psychographic of young, mobile consumers who
    self-identify as socially-conscious on the VALS scale of market segmentation.Possible engagement tactics could include product sampling at
    “occupy” events, logo-branding on protester signs or organizing a
    singing contest of L’Internationale with prizes of 2-for-1 coupons good toward the purchase of Ben & Jerry’s products at Wal-Mart or Target locations.”

19. I was at Liberty Square yesterday. I wouldn’t say that the Ice Cream was “unbranded”. They had B+J umbrellas out, and every cone had the B+J logo on the paper holder. There was absolutely NO question about WHO was supplying the Ice Cream.

• Why would anyone get evicted from a Unilever Corporation mobile marketing event? Unilever gave $ to Mayor Bloomberg’s last mayoral campaign and evicting you doesn’t help their product sampling event.

• Yes products will be made and people will use them. Its the excecutives who keep all the cash and enslave the employees that are the problem. Most people like products and need to use them in the mordern age. Its the suits that keep all the cash and dont reinvest it for the good of humanity that are the problem. And for all you know that was a taintied batch they were putting out for free.

20. LOL I posted a link to an article in a thread down several days ago that I read that talks a bit more about Ben & Jerry’s – which is the ice cream division of the Unilever, Corporation, a $60 billion company whose CEO makes millions.

“… endorsement of the “movement” provides an opportunity
    for the ice cream  division of Unilever to engage purchasers through
    experiential promotional activations uniquely targeted to the brand’s
    demographic and psychographic of young, mobile consumers who
    “occupy” events, logo-branding on protester signs or organizing a

• Occupy Wall Street Together | Oct 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm |

Typical Jewish bankster trickery. The banksters tried the same thing in Germany in the 1930s; we didn’t fall for it then and we won’t now. Shouldn’t you be in Temple today Rodale you miserable pro-bankster POS?

Occupy Wall Street in solidarity together! Defeat the Jewish banksters!

• You two are working together.  Admit it.

• You give OWS a bad name.

• People are passionate about the bailouts. I may disagree with OWS Together’s aggressiveness in his post but you have to agree it’s more than coincidence that the head of Unilever is a Jew. Here’s a pretty good video I found on YouTube that looks at the Jewish connection to the 2008 financial crisis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lver1pt667J

The OWS movement can’t be divided by attacking each other. Respect OWS Together’s opinion even if you don’t agree with how he presents it.

• Wait a minute… So the Jews at Unilever are sponsoring an anti-Semitic ice-cream party?

Boy, the corporate agents provocateurs are out in force over this thing.

• OccupyPortland | Oct 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm |

I am protesting people like Bernie Madoff who made billions while I made $7 an hour. Madoff was a Jew. That doesn’t mean that all Jews should be jailed, just some. The reality is, if you smell smoke there’s probably a fire.

I am the 99%.

• Not all Jews should be jailed, and not all the people who should be jailed are Jews.  So exactly what smoke are you talking about?

• are you a white devil? down with potatoes! they make vodka, and you know what that leads to? empty conversation.

• disinformationonthesabbath | Oct 17, 2011 at 8:43 pm |

I’m not saying some idiots who clunk around with worn out cowboy phrases should be jailed, I’m saying all of them should.

• keebler elves linked to making the dough inside of cookies. check this blog: youareanidiot,here,haveahamentaschen,it’sonthehouse.com

• I would bet you everyone posting under an “Occupy” tag on here and the other threads with an anti-Semitic slant is the same person. Maybe part of Beck’s camp since he seems to be so hot to push this bullshit line about OWS being anti-Semitic.

I wonder if s/he’s getting paid for trolling or just hoping to help his/her hero’s cause du jour.

• So tell me, you getting paid by Beck to push his newest line of Crazy(tm) or you spreading his lies just for funsies?

21. Why would anyone get evicted from a Unilever Corporation mobile marketing event? Unilever gave $ to Mayor Bloomberg’s last mayoral campaign and evicting you doesn’t help their product sampling event.

22. Anonymous | Oct 15, 2011 at 4:10 pm |

Logos or no logos, a publicity stunt that favors the Ben and Jerry’s brand has been achieved whether this effect was intended or not. Ben and Jerry’s gets to ramp up their “good guy” reputation. I don’t guess that it will hurt ice cream sales.
    Regardless, “Occupy” is the new bandwagon that alot of people would love to associate themselves with.

In every sense, I feel that the “Occupiers” are doing a good thing, even if it comes to nothing, which doubtless will not be the case. Some good will come of it….

23. GoodDoktorBad | Oct 15, 2011 at 12:10 pm |

24. A large portion of the “Occupy” protesters seem to be alleging a Jewish banker conspiracy. Many signs out and people talking about it. Now that the Democrat Party has announced they’re backing and are going to start help organizing “Occupy” it rather takes on a Kristallnacht flavor.

Apparently people at Occupy New York and Occupy Detroit and other locations were handing out copies of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. A Jewish friend of mine from Brooklyn, who is Orthodox, said he was harassed as a “Jew Banker” by protesters on the subway (he’s a guitar teacher).

25. A large portion of the “Occupy” protesters seem to be alleging a Jewish banker conspiracy. Many signs out and people talking about it. Now that the Democrat Party has announced they’re backing and are going to start help organizing “Occupy” it rather takes on a Kristallnacht flavor.

• You are a troll who probably works for Andrew Breitbart.  The same crazies you speak of are also in the Tea Party.  The difference?  The Tea Party asks them to be keynote speakers.  Go back to http://www.BigDickieLeaks.org

• Fuck that. It doesn’t really matter who is holding the sign, nor the size of the contingency that believes this shit. Anyone has a right to be offended at the insinuation… especially in light of WW2 history and all it implies.

• Hitler liked Jewish ice-cream.  FACT.

• Mysophobe | Oct 16, 2011 at 1:15 pm |

What is this “Democrat Party” of which you speak. Dittohead moron.

• Exaggerate much? I respect your disgust, but adding a little fear and overstating just makes you look foolish. Really? A large portion? So would that be how many? 10,000 out of 100,000 demonstrators? Large portion might equate to 50 in this case. Check your information before you go about trying to divide people.

26. Interesting. Really I feel the insanity of everything is bleeding into people’s viewpoints. As an extreme analogy complaining about the B&J donations because its a subsidiary of Unilever, is similar to having suspicions of ulterior motives of a german guy giving a beggar some cash because *gasp* some guy named hitler started the holocausts and oh my! he was german too!

27. Interesting. Really I feel the insanity of everything is bleeding into people’s viewpoints. As an extreme analogy complaining about the B&J donations because its a subsidiary of Unilever, is similar to having suspicions of ulterior motives of a german guy giving a beggar some cash because *gasp* some guy named hitler started the holocausts and oh my! he was german too!

28. Anti-Citizen1 | Oct 15, 2011 at 7:20 pm |

29. Anti-Citizen1 | Oct 15, 2011 at 7:20 pm |

30. Occupy Wall Street Together | Oct 15, 2011 at 8:31 pm |

Occupy Wall Street in solidarity together! Defeat the Jewish banksters!

31. You two are working together.  Admit it.

32. You give OWS a bad name.

33. What an inane comment.  The ghosts of slaves past collectively slap your simple-minded post.

34. Jesus.  Then don’t eat the frickin’ ice cream.

35. You are a troll who probably works for Andrew Breitbart.  The same crazies you speak of are also in the Tea Party.  The difference?  The Tea Party asks them to be keynote speakers.  Go back to http://www.BigDickieLeaks.org

36. You are a troll who probably works for Andrew Breitbart.  The same crazies you speak of are also in the Tea Party.  The difference?  The Tea Party asks them to be keynote speakers.  Go back to http://www.BigDickieLeaks.org

37. People are passionate about the bailouts. I may disagree with OWS Together’s aggressiveness in his post but you have to agree it’s more than coincidence that the head of Unilever is a Jew. Here’s a pretty good video I found on YouTube that looks at the Jewish connection to the 2008 financial crisis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lver1pt667J

38. Anti-Citizen1 | Oct 15, 2011 at 9:03 pm |

What a way to miss the point.

39. Wait a minute… So the Jews at Unilever are sponsoring an anti-Semitic ice-cream party?

Boy, the corporate agents provocateurs are out in force over this thing.

40. jesus then dont post

41. ill cry when i orgasm inside your ugly mother

42. OccupyPortland | Oct 15, 2011 at 9:28 pm |

I am the 99%.

43. Yes products will be made and people will use them. Its the excecutives who keep all the cash and enslave the employees that are the problem. Most people like products and need to use them in the mordern age. Its the suits that keep all the cash and dont reinvest it for the good of humanity that are the problem. And for all you know that was a taintied batch they were putting out for free.

44. i think you are reading the wrong news site guy

45. Not all Jews should be jailed, and not all the people who should be jailed are Jews.  So exactly what smoke are you talking about?

46. thx disinfo you saved my life!!!!!

47. thx disinfo you saved my life!!!!!

48. Who knows what it’ll morph into but at least initially this protest wasn’t anti-corporate in all its forms. It was protesting specific colossal theft and lobbying power gone out of control. That’s got fuck-all to do with branded or un-branded ice cream.

49. Jamie Lee | Oct 16, 2011 at 2:43 am |

50. Hitler liked Jewish ice-cream.  FACT.

51. Hitler liked Jewish ice-cream.  FACT.

52. Mysophobe | Oct 16, 2011 at 5:15 pm |

What is this “Democrat Party” of which you speak. Dittohead moron.

53. Anonymous | Oct 17, 2011 at 4:08 pm |

54. Anonymous | Oct 17, 2011 at 4:10 pm |

55. I don’t trust anyone peddling sugar! LOL It’s comfort food, meant to disarm hostility!  It’s historical fact that the colonizers use to give chocolate to the Natives before they wiped them out.  You won’t catch me with a Ice cream cone, while the cops are bashing heads!

56. I don’t trust anyone peddling sugar! LOL It’s comfort food, meant to disarm hostility!  It’s historical fact that the colonizers use to give chocolate to the Natives before they wiped them out.  You won’t catch me with a Ice cream cone, while the cops are bashing heads!

57. Fuck that. It doesn’t really matter who is holding the sign, nor the size of the contingency that believes this shit. Anyone has a right to be offended at the insinuation… especially in light of WW2 history and all it implies.

58. Exaggerate much? I respect your disgust, but adding a little fear and overstating just makes you look foolish. Really? A large portion? So would that be how many? 10,000 out of 100,000 demonstrators? Large portion might equate to 50 in this case. Check your information before you go about trying to divide people.

59. keebler elves linked to making the dough inside of cookies. check this blog: youareanidiot,here,haveahamentaschen,it’sonthehouse.com

60. are you a white devil? down with potatoes! they make vodka, and you know what that leads to? empty conversation.

61. disinformationonthesabbath | Oct 18, 2011 at 12:43 am |