Aleister Crowley May Have Been Behind The ‘Curse of Tutankhamun’

Aleister-Crowley_2050261cIn post-WWI London, the public’s attention was gripped by a string of mysterious deaths of people linked in one way or another to the unsealing of Tutankhamun’s tomb. Was the “pharaoh’s curse” in fact carried out by Aleister Crowley? Via the Telegraph:

Six mysterious London deaths famously attributed to the ‘Curse of Tutankhamun’ were actually murders by notorious Satanist Aleister Crowley, a historian claims in a new book. Incredible parallels between Crowley and Jack the Ripper have also been discovered during research by historian Mark Beynon.

Throughout the 1920s and 1930s, London was gripped by the mythical curse of Tutankhamun, the Egyptian boy-king, whose tomb was uncovered by British archaeologist Howard Carter. More than 20 people linked to the opening of the pharaoh’s burial chamber in Luxor in 1923 bizarrely died over the following years – six of them in the capital.

Victims included Carter’s personal secretary Captain Richard Bethell, who was found dead in his bed from suspected smothering at an exclusive Mayfair club. Bethell’s father Lord Westbury then plunged seven floors to his death from his St James’s apartment, where he reportedly kept tomb artefacts gifted by his son. And Aubrey Herbert, half-brother of Carter’s financial backer Lord Carnarvon, also died suspiciously in a Park Lane hospital shortly after visiting Luxor.

At the time, a frenzied Press blamed the ‘Curse of Tutankhamun’ for the deaths and speculated on the supernatural powers of the ancient Egyptians. But Mr Beynon has now drawn on previously unpublished evidence to conclude the deaths were all ritualistic killings masterminded by Crowley, an occultist dubbed “the wickedest man in the world”.

The gods and goddesses of Crowley’s own religious philosophy, Thelema, were mainly drawn from ancient Egyptian religion. He believed himself to be a prophet of a new age of personal liberty, controlled by the ancient Egyptian god Horus. It is likely that he would have found Carter’s excavation sacrilegious and wanted revenge, according to Mr Beynon.

After unique analysis of Crowley’s diaries, essays and books and inquest reports, the armchair detective argues that he was a Jack the Ripper-obsessed copycat killer.

Crowley wrote in his diaries that he believed the locations of five of the Ripper’s murders in Whitechapel in 1888 formed a pentagram – an important star-shaped symbol in Satanism. Mr Beynon claims that the locations of five of Crowley’s ‘murders’ form a copycat pentagram.

155 Comments on "Aleister Crowley May Have Been Behind The ‘Curse of Tutankhamun’"

1. Anonymous | Nov 11, 2011 at 6:43 pm |

I’m going to go ahead and call BS.

2. I’m going to go ahead and call BS.

3. I thought they died of a unique form of fungal infection… Or was that a different tomb?

4. Anarchy Pony | Nov 11, 2011 at 3:15 pm |

• They mostly died of old age, but there were a few accidents involved and an illness.

5. tristan eldritch | Nov 11, 2011 at 7:20 pm |

Waiter, can I have a massive grain of salt, please?

6. tristan eldritch | Nov 11, 2011 at 3:20 pm |

Waiter, can I have a massive grain of salt, please?

7. Mr Willow | Nov 11, 2011 at 7:46 pm |

Ha!

Thanks for that. I needed a laugh.

8. Mr Willow | Nov 11, 2011 at 7:46 pm |

Ha!

Thanks for that. I needed a laugh.

9. Mr Willow | Nov 11, 2011 at 3:46 pm |

Ha!

Thanks for that. I needed a laugh.

10. Crowley wasn’t even in London at the time. Perhaps this “historian” might benefit by taking a cursory glance at the extremely well-documented life of Aleister Crowley before making such ridiculous claims.

11. Crowley wasn’t even in London at the time. Perhaps this “historian” might benefit by taking a cursory glance at the extremely well-documented life of Aleister Crowley before making such ridiculous claims.

12. pathetic.

13. pathetic.

14. Anonymous | Nov 11, 2011 at 8:07 pm |

15. Stephen Hawking said that nothing is impossible, however unlikely it may be. So this is possible.

16. I guess now it’s “Do WHO thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.”

17. I guess now it’s “Do WHO thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.”

18. when did crowley become a satanist?

19. Rus Archer | Nov 11, 2011 at 4:28 pm |

when did crowley become a satanist?

• Do you know any? I need some advice on how to deal with him. I’ve been trying to call Reagan, but Satan keeps saying he’s busy and to call back.

• Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 4:36 am |

I think it was in his teens…

20. Mr.crowley was not a satanist, he was a thelemite. Get your facts straight “news” people.
    Also the pentagram is an important symbol in many religions.

21. Mr.crowley was not a satanist, he was a thelemite. Get your facts straight “news” people.
    Also the pentagram is an important symbol in many religions.

22. Oumi_Hegovai | Nov 11, 2011 at 9:43 pm |

“Notorious Satanist”? That’s like calling James Joyce a prolific cartoonist. This type of thing… I don’t know whether I feel more angry or sad when I read it. It puts me in mind of that malicious biography of Dr. Timothy Leary that came out during the Bush years.

23. Oumi_Hegovai | Nov 11, 2011 at 9:43 pm |

24. Oumi_Hegovai | Nov 11, 2011 at 5:43 pm |

25. Anonymous | Nov 11, 2011 at 9:48 pm |

26. Anonymous | Nov 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm |

Gee, how many people were squatters in the ‘ole Crowley colon just watching and waiting for the moment to spring forth and write a new expose’…

Crowley was a bad mutha- (shut yo mouth!!)

27. Anonymous | Nov 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm |

Crowley was a bad mutha- (shut yo mouth!!)

28. GoodDoktorBad | Nov 11, 2011 at 6:28 pm |

Crowley was a bad mutha- (shut yo mouth!!)

29. Anonymous | Nov 11, 2011 at 10:31 pm |

where the hell is anti-crowley?

30. GoodDoktorBad | Nov 11, 2011 at 6:31 pm |

where the hell is anti-crowley?

• dumbsaint | Nov 11, 2011 at 7:16 pm |

Apparently, he’s busy writing articles for the Telegraph.

• Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 3:48 am |

No, I wouldn’t vindicate all of you with a story this full of holes and lacking in real facts.

• Monkey See Monkey Do | Nov 12, 2011 at 8:01 am |

Its never stopped you before. Stop being so slack, hurry up and do your job Anti.

• Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 9:23 am |

Okay fine, what is the difference between Crowley and a pedophile Catholic Priest?….no seriously I am curious.  I mean besides the fact that at least Crowley was OPENLY rejecting the Christian God.

• Monkey See Monkey Do | Nov 12, 2011 at 4:01 pm |

There you go! I knew you had it in you. 😉

• Aleister Crowley 2012 | Nov 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm |

Crowley wasn’t a pedophile and wrote in many places condemning child abuse, e.g.:

“… acts invasive of another individual’s equal rights are implicitly self-aggressions. … Such acts as rape, and the assault or seduction of infants, may therefore be justly regarded as offences against the Law of Liberty, and repressed in the interests of that Law.”

See also: http://ac2012.com/2011/03/11/pedophiles-in-wales/

• Oops sorry for double post.

• Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 10:38 pm |

BTW, every Catholic Priest who has molested a child has either spoken or written about how it is wrong…your point?

• What utter bullshit. Care to back that claim up?

• Your missing my point, most pedophiles don’t strut around talking about how right it is to molest kids.  They usually know what they are doing is wrong…and to answer your question no, we aren’t really in the business of backing our claims here on Disinfo, we just copy links to websites that agree with our views.  So here.

• Aleister Crowley 2012 | Nov 13, 2011 at 2:58 pm |

False analogy.

• Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 10:28 pm |

Didn’t Crowley think his own feces was sacred?

• Aleister Crowley 2012 | Nov 12, 2011 at 4:58 pm |

Crowley wasn’t a pedophile. He wrote many times condemning child abuse of all kinds; for example:

He also suggested that parents who use corporal punishment on their children should be put in jail.

• Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 10:21 pm |

Didn’t Crowley think his own feces was sacred?

• Tuna Ghost | Nov 12, 2011 at 11:36 pm |

yeah, but doesn’t everybody?

• dumbsaint | Nov 12, 2011 at 9:43 pm |

The main difference is Crowley didn’t rape children. Why do you spend so much time hating on some dead guy? At least he acknowledged your religion as being something more than a fairy-tale. He’s fairly irrelevant these days, even amongst occult circles.

• Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 10:19 pm |

Then why are you getting so upset when I do?  Did I strike on irrelevant nerve?

• dumbsaint | Nov 12, 2011 at 11:30 pm |

I’m hardly upset. I’ll admit to some curiosity about your obsessive trolling- yours seems like such a bizarre cause to take up arms against.

We have other pet trolls around here and the method is much the same as yours- skim Disinfo for the right flavour article, only participating when it allows for the set song and dance. Rather than engage with the community in a meaningful way you’ve chosen to stink up the place. If I call you up on it, it’s in an (admittedly vain) effort to take out the trash and keep the place tidy.

• Oh, I guess a bunch of Crowlies giving each other fellatio and ganging up on noncrowlies is “meaningful”

Don’t worry about me stinking up the place, like old Al Crowlies feces mine is sacred…consider it an anointing of sorts.  Besides, I was invited by GoodDoktorBad.  I’m kinda like a vampire, you invited me in.

• dumbsaint | Nov 13, 2011 at 9:35 am |

0/10
            Try again when your panties aren’t in such a blatant twist. Umad.

• GoodDoktorBad | Nov 14, 2011 at 10:59 am |

This is a public forum. It is your own will that has brought you here. I did not “invite” you.
            It’s only the fact that you are rather predictable, kinda like one might expect water to come from a faucet.

…and need I state the obvious, the article is about your dark nemesis, so one would expect that you would appear like some comic book character and meet Mr. Crowley in battle once more.

Go, go gadget anti-crowley…..

• Anti-Crowley | Nov 11, 2011 at 9:34 pm |

Always watching.

• Calypso_1 | Nov 11, 2011 at 11:51 pm |

….or commenting under assorted aliases  ; )

• Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 12:29 am |

Welcome to Tron, where we can change our names, opinions, play devil’s advocate and ride bikes made of light all under the blanket of anonymity.

• Anarchy Pony | Nov 11, 2011 at 10:18 pm |

God, it’s like we have a stalker.

31. Anonymous | Nov 11, 2011 at 11:15 pm |

“Edgar Steele, 57…
    died at St Thomas’ Hospital after a minor stomach operation. Mr Beynon
    speculates that Crowley was behind the death.”

That’s some pretty damming evidence right there.

32. dumbsaint | Nov 11, 2011 at 7:15 pm |

“Edgar Steele, 57…
    died at St Thomas’ Hospital after a minor stomach operation. Mr Beynon
    speculates that Crowley was behind the death.”

That’s some pretty damming evidence right there.

33. Anonymous | Nov 11, 2011 at 11:16 pm |

Apparently, he’s busy writing articles for the Telegraph.

34. Indrid Cold | Nov 11, 2011 at 11:56 pm |

Crowley also stole my car 🙁

35. Indrid Cold | Nov 11, 2011 at 7:56 pm |

Crowley also stole my car 🙁

• No, that was Jesus.

• I don’t know if Jesus stole his car or not, but the christians stole our flying cars and I have this handy graph to prove it.

• Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 10:41 pm |

why do you assume it’s a Mexican that stole his car?  Racist!

• Yes, seeing as how I got that joke from a Mexican friend named Jesus over ten years ago, I’m obviously a racist.

You make a lot of assumptions sir, and your fundamentalist bullshit is now very, very old. Honestly, do you have any friends that don’t think life starts at conception? Uh oh, there I go, making an assumption myself.  But it’s also true, isn’t it?  Because I know many people who have very conservative views on a wide range of subjects (including abortion, the economy, the GWOT, and the question of God and belief), and guess what? I have perfectly rational, reasonable conversations with them all the time, and even consider myself lucky to call some of them my friends.

But you…you’re just a sad, self-important troll.  Do you really think you’re engaging anyone here?  That you’re saving any souls?  Are you helping to make this world a better place, whether for the imminent return of Christ or (horror of horrors) simply because you want to help people?  Because you’re not – you’re just being a dick; and not a particularly clever one, at that. Seriously, EVERYONE here has heard this evangelical, Biblical-literalist line of crap before, and done better.  Step up your game, son.

• Monkey See Monkey Do | Nov 13, 2011 at 4:27 pm |

He keeps coming back because he does believe his helping people and saving souls. But the truth is he keeps coming back because he knows he needs this engagement more than anyone else does. It’s cathartic, its changing him much more than him changing anyone else.

• I just don’t get it on a practical level – he’s like a George Carlin routine:

“You are all degenerates idolizing another child-molesting, devil-worshiping, shit-loving degenerate!  But I want to help you.”

• Besides, you all need someone who you can vent on and focus all of your frustration.   What good is it to scream into the wind?

• “Besides, you all need someone who you can vent on and focus all of your
            frustration.   What good is it to scream into the wind?”

So you’re willingly playing the scapegoat role here on the Disinfo comments section? You know, I can honestly see that, but you’re still a dick about it, as you make assumptions all over the place and are constantly trying to bait people.  Congratulations are in order, however, as you are successful with the baiting (case in point, myself); still not something to be particularly proud of, though.

“You can assign all the self empowering reasons as to who I am and why I
            am here, what ever makes you feel good about yourself.  Today I am a
            needy, desperate, skinny, short, unreasonable, trollish, fundie.  I wet
            the bed and cry myself to sleep alone every night.  I got beat up in
            high school and have never been with a woman because of my cowardice
            (plus I am really ugly.)”

Whoa buddy, except for the trollish fundie part, that’s all you; I have not said one thing about your physical appearance, how much you get laid, and whether or not you got your ass kicked in high school, as I honestly don’t care one way or the other. That’s called PROJECTION on your part, and as I seem to recall you previously crowing about your mastery of human psychology, I would think you already knew that.

Anyway…yeah, I’ll cop to the fact that we seem to be doing the same thing here: I’m just bored after work and trying to avoid doing responsible stuff and instead just dicking around on the Internet. However, I do have this sneaking suspicion that you’re actually engaging in some sort of guerrilla ontology and just trying to fuck with the “reality tunnels” of disinfonauts from the preset, fabricated viewpoint most likely to annoy us: namely, that of the Christian fundamentalist. But what do I know? I’m just some random guy on the Internet.  Like you.

• I come hear because I am on island in the Pacific with nothing to do for the next few months, I spent collectively about 10-20 minutes on this stuff while I check the news.   What is your excuse?

You can assign all the self empowering reasons as to who I am and why I am here, what ever makes you feel good about yourself.  Today I am a needy, desperate, skinny, short, unreasonable, trollish, fundie.  I wet the bed and cry myself to sleep alone every night.  I got beat up in high school and have never been with a woman because of my cowardice (plus I am really ugly.)

I am however smart enough to realize that not a single person has had a major break through in their paradigm credited to someone’s post on DisInfo.  I suspect people come here generally to find those who are like minded and to have a voice in a world where they feel they are generally voiceless.  I am probably wrong though.

36. Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 1:34 am |

Always watching.

37. God, it’s like we have a stalker.

38. No, that was Jesus.

39. I don’t know if Jesus stole his car or not, but the christians stole our flying cars and I have this handy graph to prove it.

40. Anonymous | Nov 12, 2011 at 3:51 am |

….or commenting under assorted aliases  ; )

41. Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 4:29 am |

42. Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 4:30 am |

Who’s that?  Uncle Sam?  Nice shirt by the way…no behind you.

43. This is quite possibly one of the most ignorantly written pieces of tripe I’ve read in a long time. It’s obvious the author has never read any real writings of Crowley, doesn’t have one bit of perspective on any Thelemic or Crowleyan worldview and completely pandering to the Hollywood BS version of what “occult” really means.

I’m not saying I would be shocked to find out Crowley may have killed someone…but that’s really beside the point. Assuming some sort of bs link between Crowley and satanism is not only preposterous but quite ill-informed. Just stupid. Stupid.

44. This is quite possibly one of the most ignorantly written pieces of tripe I’ve read in a long time. It’s obvious the author has never read any real writings of Crowley, doesn’t have one bit of perspective on any Thelemic or Crowleyan worldview and completely pandering to the Hollywood BS version of what “occult” really means.

• And that’s just on the Crowley aspect. What I’m seeing here shows a certain lack of understanding about the so-called “curse’s” “effects” too. No more people died out of that group than normal, they just were all in the spotlight so their deaths were reported, and their deaths were linked by the media to sell papers, not because there was actually any common connection. Just like now, if you only watched the news you’d think only actors and politicians die or get ill and that only little white girls get kidnapped. That’s what’s going to go into the historical record. It’s the job of an historian to look at that and realize what is reporting bias. I think this guy failed that semester in college.

45. Anonymous | Nov 12, 2011 at 7:32 am |

46. Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 7:48 am |

47. Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 7:52 am |

Sloan, this is a poor attempt at trying to seem balanced.  Even I can’t get behind this one…were trying to bait me?

48. Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 3:52 am |

49. Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 8:35 am |

You seem a learned Thelemite.  Maybe you can tell me who Chronozon is.

50. Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 8:36 am |

I think it was in his teens…

51. Anonymous | Nov 12, 2011 at 9:26 am |

Just like you.

52. Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 10:36 am |

…I know you are but what am I Ninja?

53. Monkey See Monkey Do | Nov 12, 2011 at 12:01 pm |

54. Monkey See Monkey Do | Nov 12, 2011 at 12:01 pm |

55. Monkey See Monkey Do | Nov 12, 2011 at 12:01 pm |

56. Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 1:23 pm |

57. fivetonsofflax | Nov 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm |

Ooof. What a piss-poor story this one is…

58. JohnFrancisBittrich | Nov 12, 2011 at 11:51 am |

Ooof. What a piss-poor story this one is…

59. Anonymous | Nov 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm |

Dust in the wind

60.  Yes, it’s all about you.

61. Monkey See Monkey Do | Nov 12, 2011 at 8:01 pm |

There you go! I knew you had it in you. 😉

62. Aleister Crowley 2012 | Nov 12, 2011 at 8:50 pm |

See also: http://ac2012.com/2011/03/11/pedophiles-in-wales/

63. Aleister Crowley 2012 | Nov 12, 2011 at 8:50 pm |

See also: http://ac2012.com/2011/03/11/pedophiles-in-wales/

64. Aleister Crowley 2012 | Nov 12, 2011 at 8:50 pm |

See also: http://ac2012.com/2011/03/11/pedophiles-in-wales/

65. Aleister Crowley 2012 | Nov 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm |

66. Aleister Crowley 2012 | Nov 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm |

67. Aleister Crowley 2012 | Nov 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm |

68. Aleister Crowley 2012 | Nov 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm |

69. Aleister Crowley 2012 | Nov 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm |

70. Oops sorry for double post.

71. Oops sorry for double post.

72. Anonymous | Nov 12, 2011 at 10:01 pm |

a pretend efree troll?

73. Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 11:32 pm |

Thank you for that reinforcement.

74. Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 11:33 pm |

Is that your final answer Balti…wait!?

75. Anti-Crowley | Nov 12, 2011 at 11:35 pm |

Yes have some.

76. Anonymous | Nov 12, 2011 at 11:52 pm |

I actually don’t drink kool-aid or any drink with preservatives, sugar or it’s derivatives, as well as those of mainstream manufacture (other than kombucha and suphite free coconut water).

so you can be assured i will refuse all offers now or in the future. But thank you again for your concern.

77. Anonymous | Nov 13, 2011 at 1:43 am |

78. Anti-Crowley | Nov 13, 2011 at 2:19 am |

Then why are you getting so upset when I do?  Did I strike on irrelevant nerve?

79. Anti-Crowley | Nov 13, 2011 at 2:21 am |

Didn’t Crowley think his own feces was sacred?

80. Anti-Crowley | Nov 13, 2011 at 2:26 am |

is that the original graph or just a copy of a copy…crap science!

81. Anti-Crowley | Nov 13, 2011 at 2:28 am |

Didn’t Crowley think his own feces was sacred?

82. Anti-Crowley | Nov 13, 2011 at 2:28 am |

Didn’t Crowley think his own feces was sacred?

83. Anti-Crowley | Nov 13, 2011 at 2:32 am |

Suite yourself, more for me!  (Slurp)

84. Anti-Crowley | Nov 13, 2011 at 2:32 am |

Suite yourself, more for me!  (Slurp)

85. Anti-Crowley | Nov 13, 2011 at 2:38 am |

86. Anti-Crowley | Nov 13, 2011 at 2:41 am |

why do you assume it’s a Mexican that stole his car?  Racist!

87. Anonymous | Nov 13, 2011 at 3:30 am |

88. Tuna Ghost | Nov 13, 2011 at 3:36 am |

yeah, but doesn’t everybody?

89. Anonymous | Nov 13, 2011 at 3:59 am |

What utter bullshit. Care to back that claim up?

90. he was a sinner! base everthing he ever did off of that.

91. he was a sinner! base everthing he ever did off of that.

92. Your missing my point, most pedophiles don’t strut around talking about how right it is to molest kids.  They usually know what they are doing is wrong…and to answer your question no, we aren’t really in the business of backing our claims here on Disinfo, we just copy links to websites that agree with our views.  So here.

93. Oh, I guess a bunch of Crowlies giving each other fellatio and ganging up on noncrowlies is “meaningful”

94. Anonymous | Nov 13, 2011 at 1:35 pm |

0/10
    Try again when your panties aren’t in such a blatant twist. Umad.

95. I think it’s just a copy of a copy.

But don’t worry, it’s actually just blaming the catholics.

96. I think it’s just a copy of a copy.

But don’t worry, it’s actually just blaming the catholics.

97. I think it’s just a copy of a copy.

But don’t worry, it’s actually just blaming the catholics.

98. Aleister Crowley 2012 | Nov 13, 2011 at 6:58 pm |

False analogy.

99. Yes, seeing as how I got that joke from a Mexican friend named Jesus over ten years ago, I’m obviously a racist.

100. Monkey See Monkey Do | Nov 13, 2011 at 8:27 pm |

101. I just don’t get it on a practical level – he’s like a George Carlin routine:

102. I come hear because I am on island in the Pacific with nothing to do for the next few months, I spent collectively about 10-20 minutes on this stuff while I check the news.   What is your excuse?

103. Besides, you all need someone who you can vent on and focus all of your frustration.   What good is it to scream into the wind?

104. Anonymous | Nov 14, 2011 at 2:59 pm |

Go, go gadget anti-crowley…..

105. “Besides, you all need someone who you can vent on and focus all of your
    frustration.   What good is it to scream into the wind?”

“You can assign all the self empowering reasons as to who I am and why I
    am here, what ever makes you feel good about yourself.  Today I am a
    needy, desperate, skinny, short, unreasonable, trollish, fundie.  I wet
    the bed and cry myself to sleep alone every night.  I got beat up in
    high school and have never been with a woman because of my cowardice
    (plus I am really ugly.)”

106. Anonymous | Nov 15, 2011 at 4:07 pm |

107. This allegation against Crowley is simply nonsense. Learn the complete truth here:

108. This allegation against Crowley is simply nonsense. Learn the complete truth here:

109. Yelling Troll on the internet is like trying to win an argument by calling someone Hitler. Its childish, weak, and only employed by trolls.