America’s Concentration Threatened By Adderall Shortage

2310749647_339fa45387Is Adderall the crystal meth of the middle and upper classes? Well, both drugs became huge at around the same time. The Fix writes that prices are skyrocketing and panic and withdrawal are setting in across the nation as pharmacies’ shelves run short:

When Jay V.’s pharmacist told him about the nationwide Adderall shortages last weekend, he reacted as any economically rational finance professional would, and attempted to bribe her. Whatever the cost, “it’s cheaper than cocaine,” his reasoning went. And even if it isn’t, you can’t put a price on never having to go back to doing bumps in the work bathroom to get through late night deal committee meetings, can you?

Jay’s pharmacist said she was reserving her supply for regular customers, but that the price had doubled and the clock was ticking.

If addiction is the kind of thing you think about a lot, it’s easy to overlook its significance in the cold, objective Realpolitik scheme of things, which is this: it’s a great fucking business model.

The best of the addiction-based business models are “addiction-proof” addictive drug, and the Adderall story is at its core the saga of a nearly century-long quest for this unattainable ideal. Amphetamine salt — Adderall’s active ingredient — has been the subject of heady dispute within the medical profession since the drug company Smith, Kline and French began peddling the stuff in 1935, but for decades just about the only thing medical community generally agreed about was that it was not addictive …

More on The Fix

81 Comments on "America’s Concentration Threatened By Adderall Shortage"

1. Anonymous | Nov 21, 2011 at 8:44 pm |

Sorry, but this article is like 500 words at least.  Could youse all just boil it down to a blurb for me?

2. Liam_McGonagle | Nov 21, 2011 at 4:44 pm |

• DingusMan | Nov 21, 2011 at 5:52 pm |

Sure thing:  “If you take Adderall or other ADD/ADHD drugs, you are fucked.”

• ^ so not true… they make it sound so evil and its just helping kids study so they can get good grades, a good job and contribute well to society.  soon they’ll probably ncorporate into everyday multivitamins.

• you’re right! they significantly improve students ability to cope with a completely synthetic educational environment. We want them stimulated so their mind is racing so fast that they cannot see the forest for the trees. Now kids can study hard so they can become successful Adderall drug-pushers before they have time to ask the question “do we need this?” “is this useful for society” or “would I have been happier scraping by as a blacksmith? or a fisherman? or a farmer? or a writer? or a philosopher? or a ninja?”

Who needs the full spectrum of the human society, when we can be spoonfed through the system to a handful of particular accepted occupations.

• Anarchy Pony | Nov 21, 2011 at 8:16 pm |

That’s brilliant. I salute your comedic triumph.

• ooohhhh…. I’m a little slow today. Wonder if it has something to do with the nearly empty bottle on my dresser.

3. Alexjohnson | Nov 21, 2011 at 9:03 pm |

I guess as long as it has a Pfizer or Merck label on it it’s okay. Anti-Addictive my ass.  Look at how many people are on them and stay on them.   Usually these ‘legal’ drugs are a molecule away from their illegal counterparts.  But come on how big is a friggin molecule.   Just remember the prices have to go up eventually because the FDA, DEA, CIA and other agencies want their cut of the pie. Extra Holiday cash don’t hurt either .  Plus it may about time to change the branding /packaging before  reselling the same stuff as the next best thing.

4. Alexjohnson | Nov 21, 2011 at 5:03 pm |

• KnhoJ123 | Dec 3, 2011 at 1:54 am |

In the case of drugs 1 molecule can make all the difference in the world. It is a different drug, but the old one worked fine, it’s just the companies trying to undermine the generic versions coming out by the competition. So they’re trying to discredit the new guys AND force a lot of people to switch to their new drug that they’ll control for the next decade by craeting artificial shortages.
      This isn’t a case of how bad or good drugs or wether they help people, it’s about a greedy corporation trying to ruin things for the other guys. Kind of like if a parent made his spoiled kid give away ONE of his many many toys that he no longer played with to charity once a year, and in retaliation he broke and shat all over it before thowing it in the toys for tots bin.

5. DingusMan | Nov 21, 2011 at 9:52 pm |

Sure thing:  “If you take Adderall or other ADD/ADHD drugs, you are fucked.”

6. Anonymous | Nov 21, 2011 at 10:50 pm |

Just because it has a nice fancy label, and your nicely educated Doctor wrote a note that says you need it, doesn’t make you any better than the junkie you so despise.

people are suckers for slick packaging, and I guess little prescription bottles dispensed by lab coated orderlies seem so much less harmful than plastic sandwich baggies…..

7. MoralDrift | Nov 21, 2011 at 6:50 pm |

• Jazminoreo | Nov 30, 2011 at 10:58 pm |

im sorry but if you are not educated about ADD or ADHD i think you need to STFU…. if you knew exactly how it feels to have ADD/ADHA i think u have no rite or opinion on this ok…. go smoke some weed or drink some liquor im sure that better.

• MoralDrift | Dec 1, 2011 at 12:59 am |

I’m sorry but if you are not educated on the proper use of the English language then you should shut the fuck up and take your pills. Ok? K.

• Jazminoreo | Dec 1, 2011 at 2:27 pm |

im sure your ignorant ass only knows one language. if you
          had to deal with 3 and maybe the 4th one pretty soon, you would be misspelling
          things too. all i say go to some research about ADD or ADHD and then have an opinion
          about this ok. im sure you are not a scientist or a psychologist or im for sure
          you are not a doctor. With that said go do your drugs and stop having opinions
          about something that you might not have a clue what it is. all you know is probably what you thear in the media or from people.. so be a litle educated n get a life, people like you that have  an opinion about everyone and everything are the wost in life then the poeple who take a pill to study and get better grades…. i think at the end you might need it more then others, go back to school and educate your self a litle ok

🙂

I don’t think anyone is saying that ADHD isn’t a real condition. My brother has ADHD. But the fact is, Adderall is just a brand name for pure amphetamine salts. The only difference between dextroamphetamine (Adderalls main ingredient) and methamphetamine is the additional methyl molecule that methamphetamine contains.

Combine this with some resourceful college students who can convince their doctor they need a prescription ( I know more than one ), and you can start to see why this might be an issue.

• Haha, ok. Well maybe MoralDrift is saying thier is no such thing as ADHD. I disagree, just based on my personal experiences, but I see where your coming from. I do agree that thier are better alternatives than stimulants though.

• MoralDrift | Dec 2, 2011 at 3:11 am |

I wasn’t going to respond, but I will anyways. I am not sure whether you are the authentic victim of PhRmA doping since childhood or a skilled troll…in which case I should feel quite sheepish right now. If you are sincere then let me offer you just a little word of advice;

There is no actual disorder called ADD or ADHD. You may have been a child that stood out for a number of reasons, in any case you were identified as someone who’s parents would pay to dope you. I’m sorry its regrettable but there is no cogent reason for any healthy person to regularly take amphetamines or stimulants such as ritalin, especially in the dosages often recommended.

Any person can obtain these potent drugs by seeing a doctor and presenting a combination of broad and common “symptoms”. If you really do have problems concentrating, there are far more effective alternatives then ingesting stimulants.

On a more positive note, I congratulate you on your proficiency in language, although I must disagree with you that it is never to much to ask for correct spelling….especially when there is an embedded spell check. I guess they call it speed for a reason.

All the best

• just saying | Dec 6, 2011 at 11:57 pm |

he wasn’t using proper grammar though ( your-you’re and their-there )

• Mconnolly87 | Dec 4, 2011 at 6:41 pm |

I don’t believe that ADD is a problem that even needs as much medication as people think it does. We get so used to doctors telling us that we NEED this, or else we won’t be able to function. The doctor tells you that often enough, and you start to behave accordingly. But I think that only in very severe cases does medication like adderall need to be used (I’m talking literally CANNOT function in the most basic of organizational and social settings. If you just can’t pay attention in class, maybe you should try telling your teachers to suck less at their jobs).

That I can name off of the top of my head, I know well over 25 individuals that I am close friends or related to that have either ADD or ADHD. My brother used to take Ritalin for his ADHD until he was 13, when he stopped. Yeah, he has some problems focusing sometimes, and forgets to do things sometimes, but he can function perfectly well without drugs.

I mentioned that because I wanted to let you know that I am fairly educated/informed about what it’s like to have ADD/ADHD, and just because your doctor told you that you can’t function without Adderall, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s true. The pharmaceutical company that makes Adderall pays your doctor a LOT to tell you to take their pills.

• Jayaterma | Dec 7, 2011 at 12:12 am |

yikes, someone did’nt get enough attention as a child. take your own advice.

8. ZombieSlapper | Nov 21, 2011 at 11:28 pm |

“Let’s remove the drug from the rat’s environment and see how it reacts.”

9. “Let’s remove the drug from the rat’s environment and see how it reacts.”

10. Blahblahblah | Nov 21, 2011 at 11:46 pm |

Really? Right before finals? They’re obviously fixing the price! Damn it damn it damn it. I guess I’ll have to hail a time machine back to the 1950’s and score some bennies.

11. Blahblahblah | Nov 21, 2011 at 7:46 pm |

12. ^ so not true… they make it sound so evil and its just helping kids study so they can get good grades, a good job and contribute well to society.  soon they’ll probably ncorporate into everyday multivitamins.

13. Anarchy Pony | Nov 22, 2011 at 12:16 am |

That’s brilliant. I salute your comedic triumph.

14. Simiantongue | Nov 22, 2011 at 1:18 am |

My post says something obvious about big pharma. It links that to supposedly reputable doctors in labs coats. Makes an offhand allegation about the FDA and then accuses politicians of being complicit. Then implicitly condemns people for being so insufferably stupid and hypocritical for taking over the counter drugs while demonizing illegal drugs.

I’m now shining with self righteous indignation.

15. Simiantongue | Nov 21, 2011 at 9:18 pm |

I’m now shining with self righteous indignation.

• MoralDrift | Nov 21, 2011 at 11:24 pm |

its all just pissing in the wind right? Why don’t we all just take our pills and shut the fuck up

• Simiantongue | Nov 22, 2011 at 3:14 pm |

Oh get over yourself, not all comments have to be red faced, veined neck admonitions. Try laughter it’s good medicine. The best, so I’m led to believe.

16. what was that article about again.

17. what was that article about again.

18. Anonymous | Nov 22, 2011 at 2:23 am |

I took 8 Adderall once. NEVER AGAIN.

19. I took 8 Adderall once. NEVER AGAIN.

20. Anonymous | Nov 22, 2011 at 3:24 am |

21. you’re right! they significantly improve students ability to cope with a completely synthetic educational environment. We want them stimulated so their mind is racing so fast that they cannot see the forest for the trees. Now kids can study hard so they can become successful Adderall drug-pushers before they have time to ask the question “do we need this?” “is this useful for society” or “would I have been happier scraping by as a blacksmith? or a fisherman? or a farmer? or a writer? or a philosopher? or a ninja?”

22. how many kids with add does it take to screw in a…… wanna go ride bikes?

23. philly001 | Nov 22, 2011 at 8:25 am |

College boys will catch up eventually.

24. philly001 | Nov 22, 2011 at 4:25 am |

College boys will catch up eventually.

25. Jin Onikoroshi | Nov 22, 2011 at 10:49 am |

ninja.

and

adderall free for 26+ years;)

26. Billy Bob | Nov 22, 2011 at 12:53 pm |

my prescription ran out and i dont know what im gunna do… oh hello kitty.. hey look jersey shores on tv… umm yeah my prescription ran out… hi kitty.. oh look jersey shores on tv

27. Billy Bob | Nov 22, 2011 at 8:53 am |

28. Anonymous | Nov 22, 2011 at 3:03 pm |

As long as I get my Soma and weekly orgy, I’m good.

29. ooohhhh…. I’m a little slow today. Wonder if it has something to do with the nearly empty bottle on my dresser.

30. Simiantongue | Nov 22, 2011 at 7:14 pm |

31. I know people that are taking this drug, and they are quite crazy on it to say the least.

32. I know people that are taking this drug, and they are quite crazy on it to say the least.

33. I know people that are taking this drug, and they are quite crazy on it to say the least.

34. Addictive my ass. I Allways forgot to take one, until someone reminded me how frantic and disorganized my work was becoming. Then I’d pop one and get right back on track. I took about a 3rd of what my doc recommended.and the year I went off them due to heart problems (unrelated to the drug) was my worst year yet. and not from any so called withdrawels which this drug has none as it’s out of the system after so many hours, it was because my natural ADD state is almost completely undependable and gets me fired everytime. Adderall kept me employed because it kept me focused. Same with Effexor though I rarely have insurance to be able to afford it.  I’ve been off adderall for for 3 years, I’ve also been intermittenly unempolyed for those same years.  If I could take it again without my heart exploding I would.  just so I could concentrate long enough to get anything accomplished. I fully support these kinds of drugs and yeah sometimes they do have crapy side effects that don;t alllways rear their ugly heads in the trials. butthey are usefull and help a lot of people who would have terrible lives without it.Now I got to finish this so I can close the 400 tabs I have opoen so I can work on the 200 projects I’ve started.

35. Addictive my ass. I Allways forgot to take one, until someone reminded me how frantic and disorganized my work was becoming. Then I’d pop one and get right back on track. I took about a 3rd of what my doc recommended.and the year I went off them due to heart problems (unrelated to the drug) was my worst year yet. and not from any so called withdrawels which this drug has none as it’s out of the system after so many hours, it was because my natural ADD state is almost completely undependable and gets me fired everytime. Adderall kept me employed because it kept me focused. Same with Effexor though I rarely have insurance to be able to afford it.  I’ve been off adderall for for 3 years, I’ve also been intermittenly unempolyed for those same years.  If I could take it again without my heart exploding I would.  just so I could concentrate long enough to get anything accomplished. I fully support these kinds of drugs and yeah sometimes they do have crapy side effects that don;t alllways rear their ugly heads in the trials. butthey are usefull and help a lot of people who would have terrible lives without it.Now I got to finish this so I can close the 400 tabs I have opoen so I can work on the 200 projects I’ve started.

• Still. What utter bastards. Forcing a fake shortage as it’s patent runs out so everyone switches to their new product instead.

• Maybe that s because you actually need it for your ADD. At the end of my senior year in highschool i decided to purchase aderall to help study for exams. After consuming 10 pills in the span of 2 weeks i have lost a shit load of weight, barely slept and felt extremely addicted to it. I ended up buying pure dextroamphetamine in powder form just so i could snort it. Then eventually i got stopped over by cops because friends decided to smoke weed in the car, they searched every one and found the illegal drugs. Got charged with so many things, at least i don’t plan on doing any drugs and i can say after being drug free for a year now i have fully recovered.

36. Still. What utter bastards. Forcing a fake shortage as it’s patent runs out so everyone switches to their new product instead.

37. writing on speed is a blast, as well as farming, thinking and ninjaing. just like most drugs it makes everyday life easier to cope with.

38. Jazminoreo | Dec 1, 2011 at 2:58 am |

about this ok. im sure you are not a scientist or a psychologist or im for sure
    you are not a doctor. With that said go do your drugs and stop having opinions

44. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=amphetamine+psychosis

🙂

45. Anonymous | Dec 2, 2011 at 7:11 am |

All the best

46. Haha, ok. Well maybe MoralDrift is saying thier is no such thing as ADHD. I disagree, just based on my personal experiences, but I see where your coming from. I do agree that thier are better alternatives than stimulants though.

47. KnhoJ123 | Dec 3, 2011 at 5:54 am |

48. Mconnolly87 | Dec 4, 2011 at 10:41 pm |

49. Maybe that s because you actually need it for your ADD. At the end of my senior year in highschool i decided to purchase aderall to help study for exams. After consuming 10 pills in the span of 2 weeks i have lost a shit load of weight, barely slept and felt extremely addicted to it. I ended up buying pure dextroamphetamine in powder form just so i could snort it. Then eventually i got stopped over by cops because friends decided to smoke weed in the car, they searched every one and found the illegal drugs. Got charged with so many things, at least i don’t plan on doing any drugs and i can say after being drug free for a year now i have fully recovered.

50. just saying | Dec 7, 2011 at 3:57 am |

he wasn’t using proper grammar though ( your-you’re and their-there )

51. Jayaterma | Dec 7, 2011 at 4:12 am |

yikes, someone did’nt get enough attention as a child. take your own advice.

52. If theres a drug that makes life easier why wouldnt you want it.

53. If theres a drug that makes life easier why wouldnt you want it.

54. Most legit docters know a good 6 mo. rehab will cure the sickness of missiuse of meds.wether the gov,or you bought it from dealer,ask any soldier or person now at the age of around 60 with all this use how they feel then youll know wich side to choose,if you can afford to stay in comercialized clinics..