Freak Accident Turns Macho Rugby Player Into Gay Hairdresser

changeA tabloid-y tale from the U.K.’s Metro, but one that raises a host of interesting questions: Could a completely opposite person (with a different sexuality, even) be waiting, hidden, inside each of us? And can an injury really bring on this sort of change?

Former rugby player Chris Birch suffered a stroke in training and woke up to find he was gay. Mr. Birch was straight and engaged to be married when he suffered a freak accident in the gym. The 26-year-old tried to impress his friends with a back flip but broke his neck and suffered the stroke.

When he woke up, he underwent a drastic personality change that included an attraction to men. ‘I’d never even had any gay friends. But I didn’t care about who I was before, I had to be true to my feelings,’ he said.

Mr Birch broke off his engagement and found a boyfriend. He also left his job at a bank to retrain as a hairdresser. ‘I hated everything about my old life. I didn’t get on with my friends, I hated sport and found my job boring,’ he added.

Mr Birch, from Ystrad Mynach, South Wales, now lives with his partner Jack Powell, 19, above the salon where he works. He said: ‘I think I’m happier than ever. I even more confident. I’m nothing like the old Chris now but I wouldn’t change a thing.’

The personality change could have been caused by the stroke opening up a different part of his brain. Stroke association spokesman Joe Korner said: ‘During recovery, the brain makes new neural connections, which can trigger things people weren’t aware of such as accent, language or perhaps a different sexuality.’

69 Comments on "Freak Accident Turns Macho Rugby Player Into Gay Hairdresser"

1. Anonymous | Nov 22, 2011 at 10:22 pm |

2. does this mean if I hit Justin Bieber hard enough he won’t suck anymore when he wakes up?

3. Simiantongue | Nov 22, 2011 at 10:37 pm |

Behavior can manifest in ways dependent on brain physiology, who’da thunk it? He actually looks dapper in the bottom pic. Lost a little weight too, best thing for him by the look of it. Though I’d hesitate to recommend breaking ones neck with subsequent stroke as a holistic alternative to changing ones perspective and lifestyle.

4. Simiantongue | Nov 22, 2011 at 6:37 pm |

5. Anonymous | Nov 22, 2011 at 10:48 pm |

“Freak” accident or opening the closet door.

Whatever works for ya….

6. GoodDoktorBad | Nov 22, 2011 at 6:48 pm |

“Freak” accident or opening the closet door.

Whatever works for ya….

7. Anonymous | Nov 22, 2011 at 11:05 pm |

8. Anonymous | Nov 22, 2011 at 11:06 pm |

9. This is pretty hilarious. I’m sure chris is a better human being now though, macho rugby players are usually assholes.

10. Anonymous | Nov 22, 2011 at 11:07 pm |

What are you talking about? Justin Biebers awesome! A musical genius some might say…

11. Anonymous | Nov 22, 2011 at 11:42 pm |

Keep trying until it works.

12. I was happy and gay. Then one day I was involved in a car accident. When I woke up I found myself republican, religious, and engaged to a woman. Life can be so cruel.

13. I was happy and gay. Then one day I was involved in a car accident. When I woke up I found myself republican, religious, and engaged to a woman. Life can be so cruel.

14. Jin Onikoroshi | Nov 22, 2011 at 11:51 pm |

operative words being “some” and “might”…

15. Anonymous | Nov 23, 2011 at 12:06 am |

[sarcasm detected] | load synthetic laughter

16. Anonymous | Nov 23, 2011 at 12:34 am |

Oh my god! Not even straight men are safe from the gays!

JESUS HELP ME

17. Oh my god! Not even straight men are safe from the gays!

JESUS HELP ME

18. Jin Onikoroshi | Nov 23, 2011 at 1:09 am |

when were str8 dudes ever safe? 😛

19. Anonymous | Nov 23, 2011 at 1:15 am |

Jesus, banish these impure thoughts of David Bowie from my head!

20. This is a disservice to gays, rugby players and hairdressers everywhere.

People with traumatic brain injuries would also be upset if they could understand the, dare I write it…… ramifications.

21. This is a disservice to gays, rugby players and hairdressers everywhere.

22. Camron Wiltshire | Nov 23, 2011 at 2:41 am |

I have a friend who was in a boating accident, had her skull cleaved open by the propeller of an oncoming fishing boat.  Rescued by a gentlemen named Jesus (no kidding) and subsequently found she had the dormant ability of a masterful oil painter lodged inside her pre trepanated cranium and has since gone on to adopt a child from Africa becoming a Mother at a very young age.  Reminds me of the Dead Zone and Stephen King.  In my own experience I was concussed in consecutive fights by the well honed shins of fellow kickboxers and a woozy of a car accident to usher in my own personal transfiguration all on the eve of my Saturn’s return.

Maybe one day I can share a pint with a crew of those scarred and opened by the Saturnal scythe.

Kudos to Chris and all who die to be reborn.

23. Camron Wiltshire | Nov 22, 2011 at 10:41 pm |

Kudos to Chris and all who die to be reborn.

• Nirvanasteve | Dec 19, 2011 at 3:06 am |

…concussed in consecutive fights, you say? I can see it. And, uh… hail Saturn and all that. Great god, as far as they go (you do know he eats his children, right? All I’m saying is skip the family barbecues).

24. Don’t know if his music won’t suck anymore, but he may start just sucking… which would get him into different circles, with better musical tastes…

25. Anonymous | Nov 23, 2011 at 3:40 am |

Hey man, a hole’s a hole…

26. Seems like a logical transition to me.

27. jasonpaulhayes | Nov 23, 2011 at 12:11 am |

Seems like a logical transition to me.

28. What happens the next time he has a stroke? Will he wake up and find out he’s no longer gay, but has turned transvestite and dresses like a woman but dates girls?

29. What happens the next time he has a stroke? Will he wake up and find out he’s no longer gay, but has turned transvestite and dresses like a woman but dates girls?

• Nirvanasteve | Dec 19, 2011 at 3:03 am |

Good Lord, Tony. I believe you’ve just created the premise for a hit sitcom. Every episode will start with Chris Birch having a concussion and waking up with a completely different (but always zany!) personality.

30. Sirius Fnord | Nov 23, 2011 at 8:28 am |

I wouldn’t usually condone violence towards dumb animals but in this case i find myself chanting Beat the Bieber

31. perhaps this will keep jerks from hitting their kids over the head. I have also heard of peoples personalities changing after a concussion.

32. perhaps this will keep jerks from hitting their kids over the head. I have also heard of peoples personalities changing after a concussion.

33. Jamie Cox | Nov 23, 2011 at 5:01 am |

34. Boy, coming out is broke back work.

35. Boy, coming out is broke back work.

36. HAAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAAAAAA!

37. HAAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAAAAAA!

38. most likely too me it seems more like something that was already this way it just didn’t have something blocking it like the part of the brain that tells us to restrain ourselves. That’s my theory.

39. most likely too me it seems more like something that was already this way it just didn’t have something blocking it like the part of the brain that tells us to restrain ourselves. That’s my theory.

40. fivetonsofflax | Nov 23, 2011 at 5:00 pm |

Deep closet case finds convenient excuse to come out, News at 11…

41. JohnFrancisBittrich | Nov 23, 2011 at 1:00 pm |

Deep closet case finds convenient excuse to come out, News at 11…

42. So a well placed bat to the head and I can have the boyfriend of my dreams?

43. So a well placed bat to the head and I can have the boyfriend of my dreams?

44. What a hilarious nightmare.

45. What a hilarious nightmare.

46. Anonymous | Nov 24, 2011 at 6:58 pm |

Let’s dance….put on your red shoes and dance the blues…

47. Anonymous | Nov 24, 2011 at 6:59 pm |

Eeeeek! Not another prostate exam….

48. Anonymous | Nov 25, 2011 at 11:34 am |

lol… that synthetic laugh shit was kinda funny. I might have to run with that for a week or so. #Thanks

49. incredible | Nov 26, 2011 at 1:34 pm |

esto  es  de  locos !!!!!!!!!!!!  yo  creo  que  este  chico  tuvo  ocasion  de  salir  del armario,  despues  del  accidente. Sera  idiota ???

50. incredible | Nov 26, 2011 at 9:34 am |

51. Nirvanasteve | Dec 19, 2011 at 7:03 am |

52. Nirvanasteve | Dec 19, 2011 at 7:06 am |

53. Nirvanasteve | Dec 19, 2011 at 7:07 am |

Agh! Goblin King! TIGHTS BULGE! My sexualityyyyyy!!!!