Most Americans Have No Idea What OccupyWallStreet Is About

I suspect the percentages are reversed here in New York, but out there in the USA Today-reading American heartland, OWS doesn’t mean much according to a new poll:

A new USA TODAY/Gallup Poll shows that the “Occupy” movement has failed to capture the attention of a majority of Americans, indicating either ambivalence toward it or lack of interest.

The poll finds that 56% of Americans surveyed are neither supporters nor opponents and 59% say they don’t know enough to have an opinion about the movement’s goals.

[continues at USA Today]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

23 Comments on "Most Americans Have No Idea What OccupyWallStreet Is About"

1. Rex Vestri | Nov 21, 2011 at 8:01 pm |

“The survey, however, does show an increase from 20% to 31% in disapproval of the way the protests are being conducted…”

Due in large part to all that “Fair And Balanced” drivel that the “USA Today-reading American heartand” being fed to them.  USA Today is a worthless source of information too.

2. Rex Vestri | Nov 21, 2011 at 4:01 pm |

Due in large part to all that “Fair And Balanced” news drivel that is being fed to the “USA Today-reading American heartand”.  And USA Today is a worthless source of information too, by the way.

3. “I freed a thousand slaves and I could have freed a thousand more if they knew they were slaves”—Harriet Tubman

4. “I freed a thousand slaves and I could have freed a thousand more if they knew they were slaves”—Harriet Tubman

• MoralDrift | Nov 21, 2011 at 6:46 pm |

what a quote

• Parkour badass Mark Toorok said it just as well. One of his facebook statuses was “I’m a freedom fighter. Too bad the people I’m fighting don’t realize their own oppression.”

5. William Bracey | Nov 21, 2011 at 8:27 pm |

Well, there’s our problem.  The citizens don’t care.  That’s how democracy fails.

6. William Bracey | Nov 21, 2011 at 4:27 pm |

7. Anonymous | Nov 21, 2011 at 10:46 pm |

what a quote

8. Anonymous | Nov 22, 2011 at 1:48 am |

It’s about… uh… cheaper World of Warcraft gold?

9. It’s about… uh… cheaper World of Warcraft gold?

• Jin The Ninja | Nov 22, 2011 at 7:19 am |

spam, gold (or sho’ravon’s greatstaff for that matter) does not just grow on trees in the fair land of azeroth.

10. Mr Willow | Nov 22, 2011 at 5:05 am |

It’s no wonder, considering nearly every single talking head and ‘news’paper is painting the movement as being the inconsequential, incoherent ruckus of lazy societal parasites, pampered, privileged entitlement snobs, mangy hippies that want everything for free, or violent revolutionaries.

Things are only made worse by the complacent trust a majority of Americans place in their media, and either think anything that isn’t labelled ‘Fair &Balanced’ is either suspicious of being tainted by liberal bias or is utterly condemnatory as socialist propaganda, despite not knowing what socialism even is.

I am so disgusted by my countrymen.

11. Mr Willow | Nov 22, 2011 at 5:05 am |

I am so disgusted by my countrymen.

12. Mr Willow | Nov 22, 2011 at 1:05 am |

Things are only made worse by the complacent trust a majority of Americans place in their media, and either think anything that isn’t labelled ‘Fair & Balanced’ is either suspicious of being tainted by liberal bias or is utterly condemnatory as socialist propaganda, despite not knowing what socialism even is.

I am so disgusted by the ignorance of my countrymen.

13. Parkour badass Mark Toorok said it just as well. One of his facebook statuses was “I’m a freedom fighter. Too bad the people I’m fighting don’t realize their own oppression.”

14. I don’t know if the US ones are any different but I got to check out OccupyLondon a few days ago. Admirable, yes, but I still don’t have a damn clue what it’s about. The 10 point plan in the info tent (which I was told had been revised but they didn’t have the newer version) only really had the unifying message of “be more left wing”

15. I don’t know if the US ones are any different but I got to check out OccupyLondon a few days ago. Admirable, yes, but I still don’t have a damn clue what it’s about. The 10 point plan in the info tent (which I was told had been revised but they didn’t have the newer version) only really had the unifying message of “be more left wing”

• Jin The Ninja | Nov 22, 2011 at 7:15 am |

well labour and anti-capitalist movements tend to have a ‘left wing’ ideological origination if for the sheer fact the historical left embraced unions and anti-cap; and left wing authors have produced thousands of writings promoting them…

the obvious message i would think is one of fairness, cconcern about income disparity, skepticism of privatisation, critical of entrenched corporate power in gov (and elsewhere), loss of faith in the soft science of econ and the so-called ‘venerable’ market…as well as horizontal, de centralised and democratic organisation.

16. Jin Onikoroshi | Nov 22, 2011 at 11:15 am |

17. Jin Onikoroshi | Nov 22, 2011 at 11:19 am |

spam, gold (nor sho’ravon’s greatstaff for that matter) does not just grow on trees in the fair land of azeroth.

18. Most of americans don’t have a clue of what alot thing’s are about!

19. Most of americans don’t have a clue of what alot thing’s are about!