Parents Using Facebook to Trade Viruses In the Mail to Infect Their Children

Chicken Pox PartyRight, because you’re “afraid” of vaccines, let’s deliberately put pathogens in the mail. Reports KPHO CBS 5 News:

PHOENIX — Doctors and medical experts are concerned about a new trend taking place on Facebook.

Parents are trading live viruses through the mail in order to infect their children. The Facebook group is called “Find a Pox Party in Your Area.” According to the group’s page, it is geared toward “parents who want their children to obtain natural immunity for the chicken pox.”

On the page, parents post where they live and ask if anyone with a child who has the chicken pox would be willing to send saliva, infected lollipops or clothing through the mail. Parents also use the page to set up play dates with children who currently have chicken pox. Medical experts say the most troubling part of this is parents are taking pathogens from complete strangers and deliberately infecting their children.

More: KPHO CBS 5 News

28 Comments on "Parents Using Facebook to Trade Viruses In the Mail to Infect Their Children"

1. The practice of inoculation “parties” is quite old and makes a lot of sense.  Much (but not nearly all) of the objection to vaccines is the adjuvants and preservatives. Live, biologically vectored virus avoids this problem.

Sending Chicken Pox germs through the mail… well you’d faint if you knew the kinds of things that get sent through the mail by corporations and government.

Inoculating your kid with some germs you got off of facebook from a “facebook friend”? I’m going to go ahead and say that I don’t consider that to be prudent.

2. The practice of inoculation “parties” is quite old and makes a lot of sense.  Much (but not nearly all) of the objection to vaccines is the adjuvants and preservatives. Live, biologically vectored virus avoids this problem.

3. made.in.dna | Nov 6, 2011 at 2:53 am |

“Pandemic Danny” > http://junkdnafiction.tumblr.com/post/105271428/pandemic-danny

4. made.in.dna | Nov 5, 2011 at 10:53 pm |

5. best list thank share

6. best list thank share

7. Anonymous | Nov 6, 2011 at 4:12 am |

I wonder if the GI Bill will pay for super villain school?

8. This, when Historians look back on our History, will be noted as the point I decided to actually try and destroy the planet. They won’t know why I tried to do it, but I’ll tell you right now: Human thought really is an infectious disease. The aliens in Men in Black were right.

I wonder if the GI Bill will pay for super villain school?

9. Anonymous | Nov 6, 2011 at 4:19 am |

This, however, is a different bit of old news. Parents know that you just HAVE to get the chicken pox while young (and they don’t seem too keen on using the vaccine for some reason?) so they’ve been getting kids infected for a long time. This is just another way of doing that.

10. Anonymous | Nov 6, 2011 at 4:19 am |

11. When I first read this I assumed it was old news, that parents unwittingly open viruses thinking that it’s something cute to send their kids. I can tell you that my dad has gotten WAY too many viruses because he got some cute offer for a new app that lets him do something “amazing.”

12. I thought that was Agent Smith in the Matrix, calling humans a virus.

13. I thought that was Agent Smith in the Matrix, calling humans a virus.

14. If someone doesn’t want to give their children vaccines for some reason, fine. I can accept that.

If someone purposefully tries to get their child sick…well, all I can say is that I’m glad these people aren’t my parents. I don’t want to open a package containing measles as a birthday present.

All in the name of Love, of course.

15. If someone doesn’t want to give their children vaccines for some reason, fine. I can accept that.

All in the name of Love, of course.

16. Anonymous | Nov 6, 2011 at 8:01 am |

Might want to rewatch Men in Black. Besides super genius, I said Human Thought. Brush up on those reading skillz zomg w00t lol ok?

17. Monkey See Monkey Do | Nov 6, 2011 at 12:13 pm |

This is truly stupid. On the other hand i can see why many people are paranoid.

The ‘scientifc establishment’, especially the ‘mainstream medical establishment’ is as hierarchical and dogmatic as alot of dictatorships. I can see why many people find it hard to trust them.

18. Monkey See Monkey Do | Nov 6, 2011 at 8:13 am |

This is truly stupid. On the other hand i can see why many people are paranoid.

19. How do they know that the people they are sending the “saliva, infected lollipops or clothing” to actually have children and arn’t sick perverts?

20. How do they know that the people they are sending the “saliva, infected lollipops or clothing” to actually have children and arn’t sick perverts?

21. Well hasn’t that been a practice of pharmaceutical companies when profits are low?both are just as perversed.

22. Divine MsDee | Nov 6, 2011 at 4:35 pm |

23. Mark Zuckerberg was just 20 when he founded facebook! And what we have now? A 800 million user network with lots of useful features for marketers! Facebook events are something marketers are using to the extent! learn more here