CasablancaThis opinion piece from Joe Scarborough in the Politico is worth a read:

One of the most famous scenes in movie history comes from “Casablanca,” when a corrupt official shuts down Humphrey Bogart’s cafe. Bogart asks the French captain — who also happens to be a gambling aficionado — why he’s closing the joint down. His response is a classic.

“I am shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on here.”

Political commentators have referred to Capt. Renault’s uproarious line for years when calling out hypocritical politicians. But few political narratives ever fit that scene as tightly as President Barack Obama’s bipolar approach to Wall Street. To fully understand the extent of Obama’s double-speak, it helps to let the “Casablanca” scene play out a bit, because after the corrupt captain makes his self-righteous declaration, a croupier hands him cash and says, “Your winnings, sir.”

Capt. Renault quietly thanks the croupier and then quickly returns to the role of reformer by shouting, “Everybody out at once!” Like that old movie character, Obama seems capable of effortlessly floating between demonizing Wall Street gambling one day and profiting from it the next. The audacity is breathtaking.

Read more: Joe Scarborough | The Politico

28 Comments on "President Obama Has Raised More Money From Wall Street Than Any Politician in American History"

1. I agree…but I also consider Joe Scarborough a collaborating bag of crap whose primary goal is to feed additional despair and disillusionment to anyone to the left of Reagan in the vain hope that come election day the GOP will pick up a few more stragglers and capture a true majority trifecta. The Casablanca trope is apt though…and doubly ironic when being doled out by yet another hypocrite working both sides of the street for his own gain above all others.

My hatred of our recent politics is completely bipartisan…with one obvious leaning. I consider the DNC a complete bag of shit. Then I look at the GOP and see that they’ve gotten tired of wearing the bag.

2. I agree…but I also consider Joe Scarborough a collaborating bag of crap whose primary goal is to feed additional despair and disillusionment to anyone to the left of Reagan in the vain hope that come election day the GOP will pick up a few more stragglers and capture a true majority trifecta. The Casablanca trope is apt though…and doubly ironic when being doled out by yet another hypocrite working both sides of the street for his own gain above all others.

3. I agree…but I also consider Joe Scarborough a collaborating bag of crap whose primary goal is to feed additional despair and disillusionment to anyone to the left of Reagan in the vain hope that come election day the GOP will pick up a few more stragglers and capture a true majority trifecta. The Casablanca trope is apt though…and doubly ironic when being doled out by yet another hypocrite working both sides of the street for his own gain above all others.

4. I agree…but I also consider Joe Scarborough a collaborating bag of crap whose primary goal is to feed additional despair and disillusionment to anyone to the left of Reagan in the vain hope that come election day the GOP will pick up a few more stragglers and capture a true majority trifecta. The Casablanca trope is apt though…and doubly ironic when being doled out by yet another hypocrite working both sides of the street for his own gain above all others.

5. It is just so amazing and disgusting to me to hear Obama supporters continue to say, “Oh, just give him a chance.  He will change things for the better when he can.”  He has been bought and OWNED by the bankers and corporations since BEFORE the last Democratic Primary!  HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE, PEOPLE?  That Kenyan illegally occupying the White House is just GEORGE BUSH with a different name!  It is not for nothing that the rest of the world thinks of Americans as incomprehensibly stupid.

6. Richard Smith | Nov 8, 2011 at 5:50 pm |

• You were doing pretty good there trying to make your point but then you had to wind it up with a little birther spin. Where’s the ‘Ron Paul 2012’ to go along with that?

All politicians are bought and paid for by corporate entities. Comparing who gets more from whom is really just academic. Slighting Obama supporters for this fact is like slighting any GOP supporter that isn’t a millionaire for supporting candidates who’s every action is inverse to the interest of their welfare. They both enjoy about the same level of smug validity but do absolutely nothing to solve any problems. If you don’t play the game the way it’s designed to be played then you just get shut out of the game. The fact that we’ll only have two people to vote for, Obama and who ever the paymasters decide to pit against him in the sham that will be the 2012 election, is the real problem we all face.

Campaign finance reform would be great, but we’d have to run a reelection for every seat of government and fire every political appointee to effect real change. Nothing short of a revolution will get us to a point where that’s even a possibility. Trying to get there by working with in the system just isn’t going to work when there are so many systemic problems. My feeling is that it’s going to take a complete financial collapse to get us there, but we may not be too far off from that eventuality.

7. atom gray | Nov 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm |

that’s a lot of change.

8. atom gray | Nov 8, 2011 at 6:28 pm |

that’s a lot of change.

9. You were doing pretty good there trying to make your point but then you had to wind it up with a little birther spin. Where’s the ‘Ron Paul 2012’ to go along with that?

10. Obama: the straw that broke the camels back.

11. Obama: the straw that broke the camels back.

12. Sure Obama’s a hypocrite and maybe this guy has a point — but he’s still the dude who was involved in the murder of an intern he was having an affair with. Excuse me if I don’t rush to agree with him.

13. Sure Obama’s a hypocrite and maybe this guy has a point — but he’s still the dude who was involved in the murder of an intern he was having an affair with. Excuse me if I don’t rush to agree with him.

• oh yeah, I totally ignore evidence and facts just because I have beef with someone.

• Right and you must have rock solid evidence of that murder accusation …?

• I do believe that he was referring to Joe Scarborough as being involved in the death of an intern he was also sexually involved with, not Obama.

I know those accusations were bandied about, but no charges were filed as far as I know.

But you’re right, there seems to be no evidence beyond the circumstantial.

• ObservantPatriot | Nov 10, 2011 at 9:42 am |

O-bomb-a supports war crimes, and would rather lock up good human beings who stand for humanity and against injustice. I would think this is worse than one imaginary intern especially when he said he answers to NATO and the U.N. not the U.S.A.

14. oh yeah, I totally ignore evidence and facts just because I have beef with someone.

15. RedHerring | Nov 9, 2011 at 12:26 am |

Right and you must have rock solid evidence of that murder accusation …?

16. It surprises me as to how gullible the American people are
    every single candidate promises Hope & Change
    and after elected
    they do exactly what the 1% tells them to do.

But incredibly there are still people out there that think
    there is a difference between political parties and
    that one is better than the other and that
    America is a democratic republic and not an oligarchy of elites.

17. BuzzCoastin | Nov 8, 2011 at 9:05 pm |

It surprises me as to how gullible the American people are
    every single candidate promises Hope & Change
    and after elected
    they do exactly what the 1% tells them to do.

But incredibly there are still people out there that think
    there is a difference between political parties and
    that one is better than the other and that
    America is a democratic republic and not an oligarchy of elites.

18. Anonymous | Nov 9, 2011 at 3:18 am |

What does the birther thing have to do with Ron Paul? Nothing.

19. Tuna Ghost | Nov 9, 2011 at 7:35 pm |

If you’re going to compare Obama to someone in the hopes it is an unfavorable comparison, you shouldn’t pick the best character from one of the best films produced in America.  Captian Renault does eventually redeem himself morally, you know.

20. Tuna Ghost | Nov 9, 2011 at 3:35 pm |

21. I do believe that he was referring to Joe Scarborough as being involved in the death of an intern he was also sexually involved with, not Obama.

But you’re right, there seems to be no evidence beyond the circumstantial.

22. Anonymous | Nov 10, 2011 at 1:42 pm |