The Beauty Of Minefield Landscapes

3flowersWill the landmines that were sprinkled across vast swaths of the globe during brutal twentieth-century wars ironically end up saving nature? In Bosnia, “nowhere [in the countryside] is safe” from mines — meaning that animals and plants can flourish where people fear to tread. BLDG BLOG has a gallery of gorgeous mine-infested landscapes and the horrifying devices buried beneath the surfaces:

The Minescape project by Los Angeles-based photographer Brett Van Ort looks at the ironic effects of landmines on the preservation of natural landscapes, placing woods, meadows, and even remote country roads off-limits, fatally tainted terrains given back to animals and vegetation.

“Left over munitions and landmines from the wars in the early 1990s still litter the countryside in Bosnia,” Van Ort explains. Many deminers in the field believe roughly 10% of the country can still be deemed a landmine area. They also feel that nowhere in the countryside is safe, as they may clear one area but a torrential downpour may unearth landmines upstream or upriver. While visiting the landscapes himself, Van Ort adds, “some people told me not to walk into nature at all.”

The photographs seen here juxtapose shots of natural landscapes considered safe—that is, free of landmines—with portraits of the mines once buried there

The project closes with a particularly dark observation: “I see the idea of hand-placed landmines protecting the natural setting and allowing the environment to regenerate itself as an ironic twist on our inability to conserve and see into the future.”

25 Comments on "The Beauty Of Minefield Landscapes"

1. simple minded | Nov 28, 2011 at 6:25 pm |

thats kool

2. simple minded | Nov 28, 2011 at 2:25 pm |

thats kool

3. So that’s how I get a lush green landscape with wild flowers. I’ve been doing it wrong for so many years.

This is just dumb..People lose their lives or limbs every year to landmine or munitions that didn’t detonate.  Places like Vietnam are still getting casualties and have to manually search and remove them.

I get it though..Do what I say or lose a limb, sounds like a dog on a lawn issue. 😛

4. So that’s how I get a lush green landscape with wild flowers. I’ve been doing it wrong for so many years.

• bombastic | Nov 28, 2011 at 4:01 pm |

if they dont go into the affected areas they wont lose their limbs. If they want to reclaim the area they have to do careful  work to disinfect the areas. War is not good for anyone but having nature flourish in those areas is a silver lining.

• Anarchy Pony | Nov 28, 2011 at 10:42 pm |

People in the ‘Nam still get cancer and birth defects from agent orange.

5. bombastic | Nov 28, 2011 at 8:01 pm |

6. Anarchy Pony | Nov 29, 2011 at 2:42 am |

People in the ‘Nam still get cancer and birth defects from agent orange.

7. Anarchy Pony | Nov 29, 2011 at 2:44 am |

Rather ironic, one of the most devious weapons in industrialized warfare preventing “development”. There must be some sort of trickster god/godess.

8. Anarchy Pony | Nov 29, 2011 at 2:44 am |

9. Anarchy Pony | Nov 28, 2011 at 10:44 pm |

• Jin The Ninja | Nov 29, 2011 at 9:58 am |

i always thought coyote, raven, grandfather spider, fox, monkey and tanuki worked in mysterious ways…

10. look at Chernobyl or Bhopals Union Carbide site, they became natural preserves

11. look at Chernobyl or Bhopals Union Carbide site, they became natural preserves

12. Bruce Sterling refers to “Involuntary Parks” – those places like Chrnobyl and Love Canal – and now Fukushima, I suppose – where humans have been forced to retreat by their own excesses.  Here are more.

13. Bruce Sterling refers to “Involuntary Parks” – those places like Chrnobyl and Love Canal – and now Fukushima, I suppose – where humans have been forced to retreat by their own excesses.  Here are more.

14. my only question is how is the land given back to the animals?  I would think that they would blow up if they stepped on them just like humans.  Or do animals have a land mine sense like thier earthquake sense?

15. my only question is how is the land given back to the animals?  I would think that they would blow up if they stepped on them just like humans.  Or do animals have a land mine sense like thier earthquake sense?

• Jin The Ninja | Nov 29, 2011 at 9:56 am |

lol that was my reaction as well…it would be like bambi the apocalypse now redux….
      or perhaps “Guinea Pig 8: Little Bits of Bambi”….

16. Jin Onikoroshi | Nov 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm |

or perhaps “Guinea Pig 8: Little Bits of Bambi”….

17. Jin Onikoroshi | Nov 29, 2011 at 1:58 pm |

18. Simiantongue | Nov 29, 2011 at 5:04 pm |

Please stay off the grass… or else.

19. Simiantongue | Nov 29, 2011 at 1:04 pm |

Please stay off the grass… or else.