Think Plastic Bottles Are Toxic? Try Canned Food

Here at disinformation we long ago dispensed with plastic water bottles in the wake of our film Tapped, but now it seems that canned foods are way more dangerous in terms of their delivery of BPAs into our bodies. Via CBS News:

Talk about stirring up controversy. A new study shows that the urine of people who consume canned soup can contain surprisingly high levels of bisphenol A (BPA), a hormone-disrupting compound linked to health problems including heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.

People who consumed one serving of canned soup a day for five days had a more than 1,000 percent increase in urinary BPA over people who consumed fresh soup for five days, the study showed.

“We’ve known for a while that drinking beverages that have been stored in certain hard plastics can increase the amount of BPA in your body,” study author Jenny Carwile, a doctoral student at Harvard School of Public Health, said in a written statement. “This study suggests that canned foods may be an even greater concern, especially given their wide use.”

BPA is used in the linings of metal food and beverage cans as well as in certain plastic bottles and dental sealants…

[continues at CBS News]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

20 Comments on "Think Plastic Bottles Are Toxic? Try Canned Food"

1. Robert Paulson | Nov 25, 2011 at 11:00 am |

This is gay but the point of BHA is alarming… We as a society can not and will not ‘bend’ to verifiable information.

We are doomed but then again we watch TV and the Oil industry is feeding our poison… Look at Bret Micheals.

Wearing a wig. I guess every thorn has a rose… WAKE THE FUCK UP.

We are modified.

2. Robert Paulson | Nov 25, 2011 at 7:00 am |

Wearing a wig. I guess every thorn has a rose… WAKE THE FUCK UP.

We are modified.

3. one word –  moobs

4. one word –  moobs

5. ZombieSlapper | Nov 25, 2011 at 6:52 pm |

6. Let’s wait for some trust fund “greenie” to sign in and tell us all to shop and eat organic when we’re lucky we can even eat some days.

• Better to swallow whatever xenohormones industrial agriculture needs to make maximum profits like a good Republican and turn into a she-male that hates gays.

7. Better to swallow whatever xenohormones industrial agriculture needs to make maximum profits like a good Republican and turn into a she-male that hates gays.

8. Anonymous | Nov 25, 2011 at 9:31 pm |

This is why I eat only fresh produce from the liquor store.

9. This is why I eat only fresh produce from the liquor store.

10. Goddamn, Corporate America…srsly?  Can you people craft as much as a toothpick without taking a shit all over it first? I mean really…how hard is it to NOT poison the fuck out of everything? Most of us manage it every day…with the exception of using shit you made poisonous and then characterized as safe…but despite being the all knowing and wise ‘job creators’ and industry leaders…the theoretical brains that are supposed to make things happen…you asshats keep f*cking up recipes so simple that small children can handle them! Its just a can of food for fucks sake!! You know where the toxic waste belongs? ANYWHERE BUT IN THE CAN WITH THE FOOD!!!

11. Goddamn, Corporate America…srsly?  Can you people craft as much as a toothpick without taking a shit all over it first? I mean really…how hard is it to NOT poison the fuck out of everything? Most of us manage it every day…with the exception of using shit you made poisonous and then characterized as safe…but despite being the all knowing and wise ‘job creators’ and industry leaders…the theoretical brains that are supposed to make things happen…you asshats keep f*cking up recipes so simple that small children can handle them! Its just a can of food for fucks sake!! You know where the toxic waste belongs? ANYWHERE BUT IN THE CAN WITH THE FOOD!!!

12. aquasiatic | Nov 26, 2011 at 12:44 am |

This guy needs to be roundhouse kicked in the temple, and then punched in the throat. Just saying…..

13. aquasiatic | Nov 25, 2011 at 8:44 pm |

14. Can’t eat Thanksgiving dinner, can’t eat canned food, but my ass looks stunning in these new slimming boxer briefs..

15. Can’t eat Thanksgiving dinner, can’t eat canned food, but my ass looks stunning in these new slimming boxer briefs..

16. I seriously wish I could afford to eat fresh truly organic food, no additives, no processing, not preserved, not frozen, not microwaved, but fresh, genetically clean, and raised in a proper environment. I’d eat that, and only that.

I’d be healthier, happier and more attune to the world around me. It would greatly improve my life.

…but I can’t, and neither can you. They win ultimately. If you want to eat properly, in totality, you have to escape our culture and society, you won’t.

17. I seriously wish I could afford to eat fresh truly organic food, no additives, no processing, not preserved, not frozen, not microwaved, but fresh, genetically clean, and raised in a proper environment. I’d eat that, and only that.

18. Go the organic way by choosing to be GMO
    free. Get started by taking the GMO Survey at LivingOrganic.org.

19. Go the organic way by choosing to be GMO
    free. Get started by taking the GMO Survey at LivingOrganic.org.