Travel Back In Time With Yahoo! Maps

yahoostreet Long-term decay on the internet can be a fascinating thing. Google Maps’ not-quite-as-popular sister site Yahoo! Maps hasn’t updated some of its street images since the nineties, giving you the ability to virtually explore a pre-millennial London which some people prefer to the city today, Londonist writes:

Remember the days when Arsenal still played at Highbury? Those halcyon times when Heathrow was content with four terminals, when you could catch a train to Paris from Waterloo, and when Westfield was, if you had to guess, the latest boyband off of that new Popstars show on ITV.

In Yahoo! Maps, London is stuck in a new-Millennial timewarp. The satellite view still shows the old Wembley Stadium, complete with twin towers. Demolition of the landmark was completed in 2003, but hasn’t even started here. Over at St Pancras, work on the mammoth new Eurostar terminal has barely begun, while Heathrow’s Terminal 5 is a giant building site. The Olympic Park, meanwhile, remains a vast industrial estate.

The vintage satellite photography, now almost a decade out of date, is a bit of a pain for anyone trying to geotag their Flickr images (the photo service uses Yahoo! Maps), but is a real boon if you’re trying to remember what the hell used to be on the site of a particular new development. Now, if they could produce a 10-year-old version of Street View, we’d be very happy.

, , , , , ,

7 Responses to Travel Back In Time With Yahoo! Maps

1. Anti-Citizen1 November 2, 2011 at 10:28 pm #

Don’t pretend google maps is entirely up to date, they may not be quite this far off, but when I check the map view of my house, there is still a trampoline in the back yard. That means the pic is at least 5 years old.

2. Anti-Citizen1 November 2, 2011 at 10:28 pm #

3. Anarchy Pony November 2, 2011 at 6:28 pm #

4. Kaushik November 5, 2011 at 1:08 am #

Hah… the picture of my house is at least 10 years old on Google Maps.

5. Kaushik November 5, 2011 at 5:08 am #

Hah… the picture of my house is at least 10 years old on Google Maps.

6. Anonymous December 9, 2011 at 1:17 am #

I think it’s great!  I’m looking into purchasing a home in a city a couple of hours away.  I can compare the area from about 6 YEARS ago (Yahoo Maps) to the area about six MONTHS ago (Google Maps) to see what has been happening in the neighborhood.  A LOT of remodeling and upgrading has been taking place!  Very nice!

7. ThinkerNotEmoter December 8, 2011 at 9:17 pm #