Americans Shoplifted Almost $2 Billion Of Stuff This Christmas

shoplift Santa has sticky fingers. Via the Atlantic Wire:

Hope you have a Merry Christmas, America, because you’ve been extremely naughty at the mall this year. After surveying retailers in the U.S., the Global Retail Theft Barometer says that shoppers pinched $1.8 billion worth of merchandise during the four weeks leading up to Christmas, reports the AP. $1.8 billion! For context, $1.8 billion is a 6 percent increase from 2010.

42 Comments on "Americans Shoplifted Almost $2 Billion Of Stuff This Christmas"

1. Look a little bit exagerated to me.

2. Look a little bit exagerated to me.

3. Anonymous | Dec 27, 2011 at 3:47 pm |

While I don’t think stealing is too cool, I do think stealing from other thieves is fair play, more or less.

Congratulations America. That’s showing some good ‘ol fashioned pay-back.

Profits are down? Awwwwwww.

4. GoodDoktorBad | Dec 27, 2011 at 11:47 am |

Congratulations America. That’s showing some good ‘ol fashioned pay-back.

Profits are down? Awwwwwww.

• I’m not sure how its payback when ultimately the consumer is the one who ends up paying..but I do feel your point..

• Aren’t you the gullible. Prices are driven by supply and demand. Corporations charge as much as they possibly can and still achieve the targeted sales, forget 10% normal retail is 60% and they don’t stop there, pharmaceuticals have been know to go to 10,000% when people’s lives depend on the drugs.
        Shop lifters don’t cost honest shoppers a cent, unless the shoplifter is arrested then you pay court costs and imprisonment costs.
        That disgusting lie that other shoppers pay for the cost of goods shoplifted is just that a lie. If a product is over-priced an honest person just walks away, if it is within their budget they buy it and that is all that governs the price.
        As for competition, what do you think match the competitors price is all about, it’s them saying we will rip you off unless you can catch us doing it.
        Next time you see a shoplifter just consider they have the cheek to do what you are afraid to do, no matter how many times you have been cheated by false advertising, by specials that ain’t specials, by a product being half price the week after you buy it and they are still making profit and by stuff that breaks within a month of buying it.

5. Barbara Force | Dec 27, 2011 at 3:52 pm |

What GoodDoktorBad said!

6. Barbara Force | Dec 27, 2011 at 11:52 am |

What GoodDoktorBad said!

7. Materialism at any cost!

8. Materialism at any cost!

9. Ispraykrylon | Dec 27, 2011 at 5:06 pm |

A great deal of the time its the employees at the store who steal more than the shoppers.

10. Ispraykrylon | Dec 27, 2011 at 1:06 pm |

11. Anonymous | Dec 27, 2011 at 5:12 pm |

More like at no cost 🙂

12. Anonymous | Dec 27, 2011 at 5:12 pm |

Maybe that helps make up for the minimum wage pay.

13. Anonymous | Dec 27, 2011 at 5:15 pm |

14. Retailers are so full of crap this time of year. Especially when asked bullshit questions about their phantom losses. Most of which come through bad management follow up with operational procedures.

15. Anonymous | Dec 27, 2011 at 5:49 pm |

16. I call bullshit.  Anything from our handlers to make us doubt ourselves and look at one another with mistrust.  With this little bit of information we’ll usher in more security in stores.  Welcome TSA into Macy’s, Wal-mart etc.

17. I’m not sure how its payback when ultimately the consumer is the one who ends up paying..but I do feel your point..

18. RoboBagons | Dec 27, 2011 at 8:17 pm |

LOL, fuck it

19. RoboBagons | Dec 27, 2011 at 4:17 pm |

LOL, fuck it

20. Raven Blacke | Dec 27, 2011 at 11:14 pm |

You know, I wouldn’t really doubt it.  I mean, I was at a Target store in my area during Black Friday last year, and the morons in electronics left the cases wide open to the Nintendo DSIs with about 500 people milling about in the store and far too few associates.  I was tempted, but behaved myself.

21. Raven Blacke | Dec 27, 2011 at 7:14 pm |

22. Anarchy Pony | Dec 27, 2011 at 11:41 pm |

I do believe this calls for some Choking Victim!
    FIVE FINGER DISCOUNT!

23. Anarchy Pony | Dec 27, 2011 at 7:41 pm |

I do believe this calls for some Choking Victim!
    FIVE FINGER DISCOUNT!

24. compared to what the banksters stole during the “bailout”
    and what congress gets in bribes
    $2 billion is coffee money
    wake-up amerika
    go back into those stores and steal a trillion or two more

25. BuzzCoastin | Dec 27, 2011 at 8:55 pm |

compared to what the banksters stole during the “bailout”
    and what congress gets in bribes
    $2 billion is coffee money
    wake-up amerika
    go back into those stores and steal a trillion or two more

26. the materialistic holiday spirit is still alive even without the cash

27. the materialistic holiday spirit is still alive even without the cash

28. Anonymous | Dec 28, 2011 at 3:18 pm |

I’m curious to know WHAT was stolen?
    Are we talking iPods, Phones, & the shiny electronic gadgets we only think we need?

or was it food, and diapers, & over the counter medicine? cause if that is the “merchandise”  that indicates something else entirely.

29. I’m curious to know WHAT was stolen?

30. Anarchy Pony | Dec 28, 2011 at 6:07 pm |

Good point.

31. Anonymous | Dec 28, 2011 at 6:20 pm |

Not bad. But we need to strive to do better and break that $2 billion mark next year. U-S-A! U-S-A!

32. Eric_D_Read | Dec 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm |

33. My New Years resolution for 2012 is to pay 10% extra for all the things I buy. No sales prices for me.
    The poor corporations need our help and I refuse to sit idly by while thieves ruin the bottom line!

Do your part and follow my lead, or just send out some cheques. Don’t forget about the banks… they’ve had a tough season too!

34. My New Years resolution for 2012 is to pay 10% extra for all the things I buy. No sales prices for me.

35. Anonymous | Dec 30, 2011 at 3:35 am |

36. How is it that news stories are trumpeting an increase when US property thefts are trending down?  It turns out that a private company, Center for Retail Research, which sells security consulting to companies asked a very small and inadequate sample of retail companies’ theft reduction departments what they felt their their experience with theft will be this season.  This survey has been done for years and I can’t see that these future estimates were ever reviewed to see if they panned out with with actual reality.Interestingly, when one checks back to the data another picture of company employees and vendors stealing far more retail goods emerges. It turns out that a third of theft is by customers, half of theft is by company employees and vendors and about a sixth is lost to company internal error.

37. How is it that news stories are trumpeting an increase when US property thefts are trending down?  It turns out that a private company, Center for Retail Research, which sells security consulting to companies asked a very small and inadequate sample of retail companies’ theft reduction departments what they felt their their experience with theft will be this season.  This survey has been done for years and I can’t see that these future estimates were ever reviewed to see if they panned out with with actual reality.Interestingly, when one checks back to the data another picture of company employees and vendors stealing far more retail goods emerges. It turns out that a third of theft is by customers, half of theft is by company employees and vendors and about a sixth is lost to company internal error.