Christopher Hitchens, RIP

Christopher HitchensOne of our finest writers and sharpest wits has died. Obituary from BBC News:

British-born author, literary critic and journalist Christopher Hitchens has died at the age of 62.

He died from pneumonia, a complication of the oesophageal cancer he had , at a Texas hospital.

Vanity Fair magazine, which announced his death, said there would “never be another like Christopher”.

He is survived by his wife, Carol Blue, and their daughter, Antonia, and his children from a previous marriage, Alexander and Sophia.

Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter described the writer as someone “of ferocious intellect, who was as vibrant on the page as he was at the bar”.

“Those who read him felt they knew him, and those who knew him were profoundly fortunate souls.”

Hitchens was born in Portsmouth in 1949 and graduated from Oxford in 1970.

He began his career as a journalist in Britain in the 1970s and later moved to New York, becoming contributing editor to Vanity Fair in November 1992…

[continues at BBC News]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

40 Comments on "Christopher Hitchens, RIP"

1. 🙁

2. 🙁

3. man i’m gonna really miss this guy…

4. man i’m gonna really miss this guy…

5. Oh, that is sad news. As a matter of fact, before coming here I was watching a youtube series of videos called “the four horsemen” with Hitchens, Dawkins, Dennett, and Harris discussing, and yesterday I was reading the book “The Portable Atheist” with a very good foreword by Hitchens.

Hitchens, you will be missed. May your words live on forever.

6. Oh, that is sad news. As a matter of fact, before coming here I was watching a youtube series of videos called “the four horsemen” with Hitchens, Dawkins, Dennett, and Harris discussing, and yesterday I was reading the book “The Portable Atheist” with a very good foreword by Hitchens.

Hitchens, you will be missed. May your words live on forever.

7. DeepCough | Dec 16, 2011 at 5:29 pm |

You may have been an abrasive hypocrite at times, Hitchens, but you were a fine Atheist, and it was great to have someone like you on our side for change.

8. DeepCough | Dec 16, 2011 at 1:29 pm |

• Who isn’t a hypocrite every now and then?  I have been a hypocrite a zillion times. It is hard not to be one. Language and the association of words to certain concepts can be really mess ones stuff up. Language is really a quite crude way of expressing oneself.

• DeepCough | Dec 16, 2011 at 8:44 pm |

As I pointed out before, I can’t abide Hitchens condoning the Bush administration (2001-2008) for its Christian fundamentalist nonsense all the while condemning fundamentalist Moslems as “terrorists.” Surely someone as him should have realized that hypocrisy.

9. KingOrQueen | Dec 16, 2011 at 5:37 pm |

He was a curmudgeonly bastard and that’s why I liked him…he spoke his
    mind and did not give a rat’s ass who he offended and/or pissed off. I
    did not always agree with him but you have to respect someone like
    that…not only did he have balls, but he had the brains to back them
    up. He will be missed…

I Salute You, Christopher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiqAzNTH-8w

10. KingOrQueen | Dec 16, 2011 at 1:37 pm |

He was a curmudgeonly bastard and that’s why I liked him…he spoke his
    mind and did not give a rat’s ass who he offended and/or pissed off. I
    did not always agree with him but you have to respect someone like
    that…not only did he have balls, but he had the brains to back them
    up. He will be missed…

I Salute You, Christopher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiqAzNTH-8w

11. Who isn’t a hypocrite every now and then?  I have been a hypocrite a zillion times. It is hard not to be one. Language and the association of words to certain concepts can be really mess ones stuff up. Language is really a quite crude way of expressing oneself.

12. jigglyboobs | Dec 16, 2011 at 8:26 pm |

While he was sometimes insightful and sometimes amusing, I think the real Hitch showed his true nature in his relentless harassment of a young woman who made a blogpost about not wanting to be hit on when she’s trying to discuss philosophy at an atheist convention. Good riddance to a hateful, reactionary sexist. Ding dong, the Hitch is dead.

13. jigglyboobs | Dec 16, 2011 at 4:26 pm |

• jigglyboobs | Dec 16, 2011 at 4:45 pm |

oops, i think it may actually have been dawkins who’s the girl-hating atheist. Oh well, pretty sure he’ll probably be dead soon too. I’ll never understand why people get so boo-hoo over a famous person they didn’t know dying; do they think that famous person would care for one second if they died? of course not. silly.

14. jigglyboobs | Dec 16, 2011 at 8:45 pm |

15. Anonymous | Dec 16, 2011 at 9:18 pm |

Much respect, Mr. Hitchens. The only conservative with the balls to be water boarded instead of just talking about it and calling for others to have it d

16. mysophobe | Dec 16, 2011 at 5:18 pm |

17. Christopher Kiely | Dec 17, 2011 at 12:36 am |

How smart can you be if you supported the Iraq war? An entertaining fellow with sporadic moments of brilliant lucidity, but that’s about it. There are better and wiser writers who received much less attention.

18. Christopher Kiely | Dec 16, 2011 at 8:36 pm |

19. DeepCough | Dec 17, 2011 at 12:44 am |

20. right now…he’s partying it up in the afterlife. One more hypocritical action for the road.

21. right now…he’s partying it up in the afterlife. One more hypocritical action for the road.

22. Anonymous | Dec 17, 2011 at 4:45 am |

Some people are perpetually drunk on the Lord. Not so with atheist Hitch. He was just perpetually drunk.

23. Tchoutoye | Dec 17, 2011 at 12:45 am |

24. Like who? Living or at least recently dead, please.

25. Wondering if Hitchens will be buried in the same graveyard as God?  There will need an extra plot of the man’s intellect, the Other’s improbability

26. postpunkprometheus | Dec 17, 2011 at 10:53 am |

27. That’s right you were thinking of Dawkins.

28. one off the top of my head for the hell of it….bakunin

29. OK but one can hardly call him “recently dead.”

30. UnionJackJamesBond | Feb 21, 2012 at 3:37 pm |

As a Christian with Atheist friends, I’d like to say that this man was an embarrassment to Atheists, and most humans in fact. Now, before you start calling me a religious bigot (which I am not) I’d like to state that I am not attacking him on what he said about God. Quite the opposite really, I am attacking Hitchens on himself and what he said about himself. You know, in most normal families, the parents of children love and adore their offspring (or adopted children I suppose), they put them first above all else and do whatever they can to keep them safe. Mr. Hitchens however, stated that he loved his job more and that he put it first. On top of that, he also mentioned how, if he had had more time on Earth, he would have done a little more “philandering”.

I don’t care what religion or faith you belong too, that is a disgrace to all humans. To hate and attack God is one thing, but to say your job and disgusting, sexual adventures are more important than your family is just insulting. Defend this man all you want, it doesn’t change the truth; he was a sexist, mesoginistic pig that wanted to wish away all gods, religion, and the morals that religions stand for.

I don’t hate this man, no I pray that he gets a second chance. For all of his talk on religions and gods being fake though, he sure tried hard to make them look bad and show that they were “fake”.

31. UnionJackJamesBond | Feb 21, 2012 at 3:42 pm |

Actually, I’m pretty sure it was both. If I remember correctly reading in the CBC, he had an interview and talked about wanting to be with more women. Also, Femi-Sex.com seemed to mention him rather negatively, but that too seems a bit of a biased source.

• UnionJackJamesBond | Feb 21, 2012 at 3:43 pm |

PS, don’t follow that link in my comment. It was not me that put it there, the site must have linked it automatically. The site I was talking about is a feminist site, not the one linked in my comment.

• I don’t doubt Hitchen’s was sexist but it’s this incident featuring the incredible douchy Dawkins that they’re talking about.