How Patriarchy and Rape Culture Hurt Men

Via the SAFER Blog:

I’ve often found myself trying to explain to people that rape culture and patriarchy aren’t just bad for women. If you draw attention to a form of violence that is primarily aimed at women by men, and a form of social oppression that is intended to provide men with dominance over women, a lot of people will think you must be hostile to men, or want to take something away from men. Nothing could be further from the truth. Patriarchy and rape culture are clearly more harmful to women, but they also cause men great harm, and I engage in anti-violence work to help men as much as I do to help women or anyone else. Here’s why:

The patriarchal “ideal” of male toughness and invulnerability creates the following problems for men:

1. Men are often expected to endure hazardous conditions, with the attitude that any expression of fear is a sign of weakness. This means that men are likely to find themselves in dangerous jobs, or in risky physical conflicts ranging from fist fights to actual combat.
  2. Men are often afraid to admit emotional weakness, making them less likely to seek help for depression and other mental health issues, or to be accurately diagnosed, which increases their suffering with these conditions. Perhaps as a result, men are more likely to commit suicide than women.
  3. Men are less likely to seek medical help when they have a physical problem, leading to unnecessary suffering and, at times, death.
  4. Men are more likely to attempt to “prove” their toughness with risky acts that sometimes lead to injury and death.
  5. Instead of emotionally engaging the pain they feel due to racism, poverty, and colonization, many men feel compelled to show “toughness.” This prevents effective resistance movements.
  6. Violence aimed at boys is likely to be minimized or dismissed by adults, leading to increased acceptance of bullying.
  7. The belief that it is more masculine and therefore better to be entirely independent and invulnerable (never disabled, never sick, never vulnerable) leads to a collective failure to provide social services such as health care, unemployment insurance, welfare benefits, and other benefits that help everyone, including men and boys.
  8. Social services believed to serve only women (as if women somehow exist in a vacuum) are often targeted most vigorously by those adhering to a belief in the ideal of atomized, independent men as the core of a healthy society. The cultural belief that men are independent, and that their lives are not linked to women’s, allows many men to remain apathetic in the face of these policies, which harm them immensely.

Read more here.

125 Comments on "How Patriarchy and Rape Culture Hurt Men"

Tis true. A mans emotional life can be a wreck and he will not dare let anyone know for the fear of showing weakness and being vulnerable. I still have trouble admitting to being sad and such and it does lead to suicidal thoughts at times. I have been slowly gaining the courage to talk to my family about depression but its hard trusting someone else in such times when I feel the world is against me. Maybe one they I will be emotionaly mature enough to listen to the goddess inside, one day.

• Machinista | Dec 2, 2011 at 12:25 pm |

I can lend you my personal inner goddess, the patron saint of machos: her name is Machina and she accept you as you are… you have to read the f. manual, tough… Never give up friend!

3. JoJoDancer | Dec 2, 2011 at 4:43 am |

To those who will read this article and take heed, I say:
    DON’T BE SUCH A PUSSY!

4. TennesseeCyberian | Dec 2, 2011 at 12:43 am |

To those who will read this article and take heed, I say:
    DON’T BE SUCH A PUSSY!

• nice trolling dawg A+

• damn, he beat me to the trolling

• Tuna Ghost | Dec 2, 2011 at 3:58 am |

easy now, he’s a victim

• TennesseeCyberian | Dec 2, 2011 at 4:50 am |

I’m a victim of the concept of victimization.  Victimized, my eyes.

• Tuna Ghost | Dec 2, 2011 at 8:15 am |

Actually, that brings up a good point about victims.  A half-decent writer once said “there are many ways to victimize someone, and one of them is telling them over and over that they are a victim”.  At what point does telling someone they’re a victim start to count as victimization?

• TennesseeCyberian | Dec 2, 2011 at 11:16 pm |

Feeling like a victim makes for a ripe victim, that much is for sure.
            So long as we are playing on words, notice that you make fun of me by calling me a “lady-man” and associate “womanly” with “weak-hearted.”  Almost instinctive isn’t it?

• Tuna Ghost | Dec 3, 2011 at 8:52 am |

Yes, it’s almost as if I was mocking your notions of gender associations.  Almossssst.

• Tuna Ghost | Dec 2, 2011 at 3:58 am |

I once a cobra’s heart, which was, I should mention, still inside the cobra at the time.  Have you done that?  No?  Is it…is it because you’re a lady-man?  Because you’re womanly and weak-hearted, not strong enough to tear the raw beating heart out of a deadly snake with your teeth?  Is that what all the masculine posturing you do here is for, to hide this fact?

• TennesseeCyberian | Dec 2, 2011 at 4:42 am |

Yes, TunaGhost, I onced a cobra’s heart as well.  And I twiced a mamba’s ass.  Then I had breakfast this morning.

• Tuna Ghost | Dec 2, 2011 at 7:16 am |

That cobra heart gave me a forked tongue with which I can taste fear, JoJo.  Also, lies.  Why do you lie to me, JoJo?  Why does the air around you stink of fear, JoJo?

• TennesseeCyberian | Dec 2, 2011 at 11:07 pm |

I was making fun of your typo.  Calm down.

• Tuna Ghost | Dec 3, 2011 at 8:51 am |

I can’t calm down.  The blood in me is cold now.  Grandfather snake gave me slits for eyessss.  The reptile part of my brain hassss control.

• Hunter41 | Dec 2, 2011 at 2:29 pm |

Cool, if your telling the truth. One time when I shot a deer, I walked over to it, cut a hole in it’s chest, ripped out its heart and took a bite while it was still warm and beating ever so slightly. Not that bad actually. Wouldn’t do it again, but It’s a nice story to tell someone who you think is a pussy.

FYI- Yes, yes I am serious, not trolling.

• Calypso_1 | Dec 3, 2011 at 12:36 am |

Believe you entirely, know of many similar responses, quite natural in fact  ; )   True impulses of manhood are so rarely divulged amongst the less noble of savages.

• Calypso_1 | Dec 3, 2011 at 12:30 am |

If this was something you actually experienced I would be interested in corresponding with you further as I have done ethnological studies along these lines.  If you’re interested I’ll give you an email address.

5. trolling | Dec 2, 2011 at 4:59 am |

nice trolling dawg A+

6. fucked-up | Dec 2, 2011 at 5:21 am |

I only have read half the article, and feel as though a brick hit me in the face.

7. fucked-up | Dec 2, 2011 at 1:21 am |

8. Anarchy Pony | Dec 2, 2011 at 6:13 am |

Why?

9. damn, he beat me to the trolling

10. Anonymous | Dec 2, 2011 at 6:34 am |

Emotions are gay.

Next story.

11. Redacted | Dec 2, 2011 at 2:34 am |

Emotions are gay.

Next story.

12. Anonymous | Dec 2, 2011 at 7:26 am |

I’m impressed by how comprehensive this article is. It gave me a lot to think about. It pointed out things in my life (as a guy) that kinda sucked but I just took for granted.

13. neurolux | Dec 2, 2011 at 3:26 am |

14. Ben Alberts | Dec 2, 2011 at 7:34 am |

“Some women inevitably absorb societal ideas about appropriate male behavior and appearance, leading them to romantically reject men who do not meet these arbitrary standards.”

Agree totally on most of the list except for this bit above. I would say that the vast majority of women, not “some” women are as indoctrinated into the patriarchal ideal of masculinity as men themselves.

Read a “radical feminist” ‘s views on on fucking and dating here http://life.salon.com/2011/10/30/a_sex_guide_for_todays_girls/singleton/
    Even she – who enjoys picking up random chaps on craigslist- says she can’t get horny for feminist guys. This is the Achilles heel of feminism IMHO. If being a feminist *noticeably* increased a man’s chances of getting laid the end of male dominance would arrive a lot quicker.

15. Ben Alberts | Dec 2, 2011 at 3:34 am |

• TennesseeCyberian | Dec 2, 2011 at 4:46 am |

Women love the “patriarchal ideal” for the same reasons that a female bird loves a male bird’s plumage or a doe loves a buck’s skillful use of his antlers.  Ain’t nothin’ but an instinctive thang.

• Shaneequa Sarkozy | Dec 2, 2011 at 5:00 am |

Yeah… That might not be entirely accurate. Different cultures have different definitions of what masculinity is. I happen to have no attraction to “manly men” and I know a lot of women who feel the same way.

• TennesseeCyberian | Dec 2, 2011 at 11:11 pm |

Some doe out there probably goes for the buck with the small antlers.  The general trend will generally leave him lonely, but there are those who defy such generalizations.  That doesn’t mean that generally the exceptions prove the rule.

• TennesseeCyberian | Dec 2, 2011 at 11:12 pm |

I mean “don’t prove the rule.”  Make fun of a typo, and prepare to face your own oversights, right?

• E.B. Wolf | Dec 2, 2011 at 10:59 am |

BLASPHEMER!!! TO THE CROSS WITH YE!!!

• E.B. Wolf | Dec 2, 2011 at 12:14 pm |

She also enjoys defining a drunken hookup as rape when she sobers up the next day.

16. Tuna Ghost | Dec 2, 2011 at 7:58 am |

17. Tuna Ghost | Dec 2, 2011 at 7:58 am |

easy now, he’s a victim

18. JoJoDancer | Dec 2, 2011 at 8:42 am |

19. JoJoDancer | Dec 2, 2011 at 8:42 am |

20. JoJoDancer | Dec 2, 2011 at 8:46 am |

21. JoJoDancer | Dec 2, 2011 at 8:50 am |

I’m a victim of the concept of victimization.  Victimized, my eyes.

22. Shaneequa Sarkozy | Dec 2, 2011 at 9:00 am |

23. Tuna Ghost | Dec 2, 2011 at 11:16 am |

24. Tuna Ghost | Dec 2, 2011 at 12:15 pm |

25. The irony is that women of all ages do not respect touchy-feely feminist men. They get wet between the legs for a big tough guy with an SUV or Lexus who can take them shopping—not some faggy anti-rape rabble-rouser who packs up his “Men Against Rape” sign at a Take Back The Night rally and bikes his lonely ride home, confident in his delusion that although the hot girls are almost exclusively fucking the moneyed Neanderthals, one day the Sun won’t rise, or some other law of physics will be suspended, and this state of affairs will change: One of them will see the anti-patriarchal prophet before them and date him.

26. The irony is that women of all ages do not respect touchy-feely feminist men. They get wet between the legs for a big tough guy with an SUV or Lexus who can take them shopping—not some faggy anti-rape rabble-rouser who packs up his “Men Against Rape” sign at a Take Back The Night rally and bikes his lonely ride home, confident in his delusion that although the hot girls are almost exclusively fucking the moneyed Neanderthals, one day the Sun won’t rise, or some other law of physics will be suspended, and this state of affairs will change: One of them will see the anti-patriarchal prophet before them and date him.

• Anarchy Pony | Dec 2, 2011 at 7:21 pm |

The key is to be a touchy feely feminist man, who is ready, willing and able to kick the shit out of the big tough guy with the lexus. Most of those guys are all hat and no cattle and can’t handle themselves at all.

• If a guy is willing to sell his soul for sex, then I bet the reason he has a lot of partners is because he can’t keep any of them.

• Yes, almost all women are that shallow and go after mofo’s that lack any respect for them so they can get raped in their SUV as long as he has one.  You’re an insecure idiot and your dumb comment confirms it.

27. Anonymous | Dec 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm |

Aye lad, moods are for cattle and women!

28. E.B. Wolf | Dec 2, 2011 at 2:59 pm |

BLASPHEMER!!! TO THE CROSS WITH YE!!!

29. E.B. Wolf | Dec 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm |

30. E.B. Wolf | Dec 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm |

31. E.B. Wolf | Dec 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm |

32. Machinista | Dec 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm |

33. Machinista | Dec 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm |

34. Machinista | Dec 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm |

35. Hunter41 | Dec 2, 2011 at 6:29 pm |

FYI- Yes, yes I am serious, not trolling.

36. Hunter41 | Dec 2, 2011 at 6:29 pm |

FYI- Yes, yes I am serious, not trolling.

37. Yet again, the response to this article is from a list of geeks with barely a life who play video games into the night and shower once a week and somehow will turn everything as support to their male plight to avoid any responsibility for their shortcomings.  Us fucking women, out to get your SUV’s and wallets, the traps we set for you endless poor victims, how cursed you were with your dicks.

How do you like being judged? I am a victim of rape and far from a gold digger so go fuck yourselves.

38. Yet again, the response to this article is from a list of geeks with barely a life who play video games into the night and shower once a week and somehow will turn everything as support to their male plight to avoid any responsibility for their shortcomings.  Us fucking women, out to get your SUV’s and wallets, the traps we set for you endless poor victims, how cursed you were with your dicks.

39. Yet again, the response to this article is from a list of geeks with barely a life who play video games into the night and shower once a week and somehow will turn everything as support to their male plight to avoid any responsibility for their shortcomings.  Us fucking women, out to get your SUV’s and wallets, the traps we set for you endless poor victims, how cursed you were with your dicks.

• TennesseeCyberian | Dec 2, 2011 at 11:19 pm |

I only play Mario Kart.  And yes, that has made me weaker.  Why do you mock me for that?

40. Hadrian999 | Dec 2, 2011 at 8:51 pm |

the biggest problem with gender roles today is that too many people want the perks with out paying any associated costs. too many men want to be treated like the head of the household, king of the castle without doing the hard work and sacrifice that originally went along with that. too many women still want to be taken care of financially but refuse do any of their end the old deal such as maintaining the home or taking care of the kids. I am not saying we should go back to the old social arrangement but if ypu want the good parts of the old deal you have to accept the hard parts too or come up with a new arrangement

41. Hadrian999 | Dec 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm |

• Jin The Ninja | Dec 2, 2011 at 5:35 pm |

i had a feeling you would be a voice of reason on this issue. i definitely agree, and i assert division of labour is not inequality – rather simply a way of economising and managing household affairs. not to say women or men should be relegated to particular roles- it’s all about familial context so different families can, well, be different. but i see nothing wrong with 2 partners contributing in their individual aspects (equally) and thus ‘democratising’ the household between 2 heads instead of one.

• Hadrian999 | Dec 2, 2011 at 5:49 pm |

i don’t think one way is better than the other, only that you cant expect to be the head of the household without actually earning and you can’t expect to be provided for without taking on a fair amount of responsibilities in the home. it works both ways, I have know men who claimed to be stay at home dads but didn’t do shit around the house or for their kids yet expected their working wives to be sole bread winners

• TennesseeCyberian | Dec 2, 2011 at 11:05 pm |

Agreed.  So-called “patriarchy” has gotten us this far, but the normative roles have shifted tremendously.  Out of that chaos has come very unfair and unrealistic expectations.  I see no reason to damn the traditional way outright, but if you buck the system, you’d better be prepared to pull your own weight.

So ladies, get that money.  Fellas, scrub that dish.  I don’t care what you do, but for God’s sake, do somethin’!

• Women do get that money, clearly you’ve lived under a rock. And there’s a growing number of stay at home dads. Equal rights were always initiated by women not men, yet men feel it has to come with a price, wonder why!  I think all women should rationalize it the same way, get a strap on and take it out on them after a tough day at the office, and there better be dinner waiting too.

• TennesseeCyberian | Dec 8, 2011 at 10:10 pm |

Yes, they do get that money.  And yes, men do that dish.  But as for the strap-on, I can only assume that you are either an angry lesbian or a closet homosexual for making such an unprovoked aggressive remark.  For all of the bitching you guys do about “patriarchy,” you sure do seem to embody those supposed values more than most men.

If I could give you $50, I’d recommend that you go buy a nice, burly pair of pants to wear around.

• “For all of the bitching you guys do about “patriarchy,” you sure do seem to embody those supposed values more than most men”.  I could comment on this in so many ways but it speaks volumes on its own.

You also assumed wrong about my sexuality, and I’m friends with mostly men before you assume I’m a closet feminist. My remark was general at the notion that if women want equality it deprives men of chivalry and I don’t mean one funding the other.

Save your 50 towards a flight to one of many parts of the world where women still get treated like dog shit and female opinion, sorry ‘bitching’ can come at a price of death, for a hush one gender debate.

• “too many people want the perks with out paying any associated costs” asshole from any view point. you even want certain perks to your view to make sense.

42. Jin Onikoroshi | Dec 2, 2011 at 9:35 pm |

43. Hadrian999 | Dec 2, 2011 at 9:49 pm |

44. Nice! A Dune quote!

45. Anonymous | Dec 2, 2011 at 10:47 pm |

You can be whatever you want to be…..you really don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do.  If you dont want to be a “manly man” then don’t feel bad about, your truly free to act how you please, don’t worry about what others think of you……but on the other hand there’s nothing wrong with a good old fashion BRO OUT!! … once in a while

46. SuperSerial | Dec 2, 2011 at 6:47 pm |

47. Anarchy Pony | Dec 2, 2011 at 11:21 pm |

48. JoJoDancer | Dec 3, 2011 at 3:05 am |

49. JoJoDancer | Dec 3, 2011 at 3:07 am |

I was making fun of your typo.  Calm down.

50. JoJoDancer | Dec 3, 2011 at 3:11 am |

51. JoJoDancer | Dec 3, 2011 at 3:12 am |

52. JoJoDancer | Dec 3, 2011 at 3:16 am |

Feeling like a victim makes for a ripe victim, that much is for sure.

53. JoJoDancer | Dec 3, 2011 at 3:19 am |

54. Anonymous | Dec 3, 2011 at 4:30 am |

55. Anonymous | Dec 3, 2011 at 4:36 am |

56. Tuna Ghost | Dec 3, 2011 at 12:51 pm |

57. Tuna Ghost | Dec 3, 2011 at 12:52 pm |

58. If a guy is willing to sell his soul for sex, then I bet the reason he has a lot of partners is because he can’t keep any of them.

59. Hadrian999 | Dec 3, 2011 at 8:28 pm |

that assumes he wants to keep any of them, some people have no desire to have long term relationships

60. See the first part of my sentence.

61. Hadrian999 | Dec 3, 2011 at 9:50 pm |

adds nothing.

62. Because I already said it.  I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn’t talking about all people who have multiple sexual partners, but all people who are willing to sell themselves out for sex.

63. so you steals lexus’s, you must be a demi-god

64. yeah thats it

65. have life all wrong?

66. “too many people want the perks with out paying any associated costs” asshole from any view point. you even want certain perks to your view to make sense.

67. wish i could delete this, agree… done

68. Anonymous | Dec 4, 2011 at 9:29 am |

Y’know, we’ve been raised to be sensitive new age guys.  We were bombarded growing up with how “Evil” men were to women, and all the media propaganda celebrated anything that bashed men, made tough laws that targeted men, etc.  Even the 60s guys were bad cause they had “Macho” in them in a “groovy” way…

We then were nice, sensitive guys…  Tried to be an anti-macho but still men in a not evil way…  Strong but not macho, intelligent but not brainy smurf, fun at parties but able to work and hold a job… Especially white men, also having guilt for past “Racism” who cares if we (me, mostly) were Irish, the race the Britons practiced on before they dared chain a black man or sell drugs in china, loot india, etc. and were only made “White Men” when the Britons feared paying “Reparations” ?

And we got our A— handed to us, or rather our…..   The women were raised to hate and hurt men, to use and exploit them.  Without being macho agressive jerks, we were both powerless and prime targets.  I can’t count the number of friends of mine ruined by the nice woman they met in college who married them and loved them for a few years. Then she dropped a few kids, leeched off of him and neglected the kids, stole his house with false “Assault” charges and got the lion’s share for no participation on her part in the divorce.

Then she went to men who were both everything “Bad” we were told by the sock puppets of the New World Order not to be -and- who didn’t work or have any use in life or society…  Yes, often non-white men or perhaps a militant man hating lesbian “Feminist”.

Likewise “Minorities” treated us like sh-t, both ready to scream
    “Prejudice” to get ahead in the lunch line but forming “Cliques” to work
    around any of the “Equality” working back.

It’s too bad, really.  I really wanted the ideals of the 90s and 60s…  But all it was was a “Globalist Banker New World Order” ploy.  We didn’t have a “Global Villiage” just a “Global Sweatshop” and “equality” was “Reverse Racism” etc.  They focus on crushing the “White Male” because he is “Superior” and the greatest threat to a bunch of elite maggot parasites that want the whole world simpering, starving slaves to cater to their every whim.

69. greengestalt | Dec 4, 2011 at 5:29 am |

Likewise “Minorities” treated us like sh-t, both ready to scream
    “Prejudice” to get ahead in the lunch line but forming “Cliques” to work
    around any of the “Equality” working back.

70. What?

71. Didn’t read the article, did you?

72. Yes, almost all women are that shallow and go after mofo’s that lack any respect for them so they can get raped in their SUV as long as he has one.  You’re an insecure idiot and your dumb comment confirms it.

73. Women do get that money, clearly you’ve lived under a rock. And there’s a growing number of stay at home dads. Equal rights were always initiated by women not men, yet men feel it has to come with a price, wonder why!  I think all women should rationalize it the same way, get a strap on and take it out on them after a tough day at the office, and there better be dinner waiting too.

74. JoJoDancer | Dec 9, 2011 at 2:10 am |

75. “For all of the bitching you guys do about “patriarchy,” you sure do seem to embody those supposed values more than most men”.  I could comment on this in so many ways but it speaks volumes on its own.