Indonesia Rounds Up Punks For ‘Re-Education’

punksIn the country’s most conservative region, authorities are rounding up young punks, removing their mohawks and piercings, and and shipping them off for military drills and manners lessons to ween them from their deviant ways. Suppose your punk rocker boyfriend/girlfriend got scooped up, sent off, and came back a square? The Guardian reports:

Police in Indonesia’s most conservative province have stripped away body piercings and shaved off mohicans from 65 youths detained at a punk-rock concert because of their perceived threat to Islamic values. After replacing their “disgusting” clothes, [a local police chief] handed each a toothbrush and barked: “Use it.”

Punk rockers have complained for months about harassment, but Saturday’s roundup at a concert attended by more than 100 people was by far the most dramatic. Dozens were loaded into vans and brought to a police detention centre in the hills, 30 miles from the provincial capital, Banda Aceh, for rehabilitation, training in military-style discipline and religious classes, including Qur’an recitation.

40 Comments on "Indonesia Rounds Up Punks For ‘Re-Education’"

1. Didn’t the Qur’an say somewhere that
    “Let there be no compulsion in religion”.

2. Didn’t the Qur’an say somewhere that
    “Let there be no compulsion in religion”.

3. Fuck Islam. Fuck Christianity. Fuck Judaism. Fuck all western religions and the hate they shovel down peoples’ throats and falsely label as “faith”.

4. Fuck Islam. Fuck Christianity. Fuck Judaism. Fuck all western religions and the hate they shovel down peoples’ throats and falsely label as “faith”.

5. Garrett Schaefer | Dec 21, 2011 at 2:58 pm |

6. Hey! This gives me an idea… Is there some sort of music that CEO/Banker types like?
    Just put on a show to get them all together and… Whamo- Bomb it!

7. Hey! This gives me an idea… Is there some sort of music that CEO/Banker types like?
    Just put on a show to get them all together and… Whamo- Bomb it!

8. Hadrian999 | Dec 21, 2011 at 7:55 pm |

it always amuses me that people who believe they are backed up by some all powerful sky daddy think that the slightest little dissent will screw up their whole religion

9. Hadrian999 | Dec 21, 2011 at 3:55 pm |

I don’t mean to be picking on Muslims, Christians do this as well

• Taylorbarke | Dec 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm |

I know right?

• E.B. Wolf | Dec 22, 2011 at 12:41 pm |

The thing that baffles me is, when you’re creating a subgroup of people that will now despise you forever, why would you want to instill cohesiveness and discipline in them through military drills?
      Seems counterproductive, don’t ya think?

• Hadrian999 | Dec 22, 2011 at 4:51 pm |

don’t ask me to explain any government tactics on anything, they usually run counter to the alleged goal

10. Taylorbarke | Dec 21, 2011 at 8:13 pm |

I know right?

11. Anarchy Pony | Dec 21, 2011 at 8:15 pm |

I have it on good authority that they like creepy dungeon sex and S&M.

12. DeepCough | Dec 21, 2011 at 8:33 pm |

You know, it’s funny, we like to think that these people aren’t at all like U.S., and yet, they act exactly like U.S.

The Decline of Western Civilization Part 2: The Metal Years (6/10)

13. DeepCough | Dec 21, 2011 at 4:33 pm |

The Decline of Western Civilization Part 2: The Metal Years (6/10)

14. The Indonesia took my baby away, their took her away, away from meeeee

15. The Indonesia took my baby away, their took her away, away from meeeee

16. Clearly they don’t understand punk, they shaved that kids hair into a Mohawk.

17. jasonpaulhayes | Dec 21, 2011 at 6:11 pm |

Clearly they don’t understand punk, they shaved that kids hair into a Mohawk.

18. Brian Flowers | Dec 22, 2011 at 4:41 am |

You can spoon my eyes out,

but I can still see through you!

Slice my ears from my head,

but you can not shut out the sounds of truth!

Lock off each sound at the wrist

so I can’t raise my fist!

you can kill the protestor,

you can’t kill the protest!

you can murder the rebel,

you can’t murder the rebellion!
     – Anti-flag – You can kill the protester, but you can’t kill the protest

19. Brian Flowers | Dec 22, 2011 at 12:41 am |

You can spoon my eyes out,

but I can still see through you!

Slice my ears from my head,

but you can not shut out the sounds of truth!

Lock off each sound at the wrist

so I can’t raise my fist!

you can kill the protestor,

you can’t kill the protest!

you can murder the rebel,

you can’t murder the rebellion!
     – Anti-flag – You can kill the protester, but you can’t kill the protest

20. FreakpowerULTD. | Dec 22, 2011 at 5:05 am |

They probably just created some life long anti-authoritarian punks.

21. FreakpowerULTD. | Dec 22, 2011 at 5:05 am |

They probably just created some life long anti-authoritarian punks.

22. FreakpowerULTD. | Dec 22, 2011 at 1:05 am |

They probably just created some life long anti-authoritarian punks.

• Jin The Ninja | Dec 26, 2011 at 10:18 pm |

Indonesia and Malaysia have quite active punk and indie rock scenes. Only small groups of student anarchists, but a historical tradition of resistance to military.foreign.corrupt rule. Perhaps they will spread the message.

23. Anonymous | Dec 22, 2011 at 6:36 am |

Kid on the right’s shirt: “If you’re not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist”?

24. JoiquimCouteau | Dec 22, 2011 at 2:36 am |

25. Damn punks wanting to exist.

26. oh no, people with no hair on the sides of their heads??? they’re gonna screw up our country! XD
    ahhh, what a stupid decision on the police’s part. punks are just regular people, the only time these kids would  be any sort of threat to anything is if people try to… hmm… force ’em to look or act a certain way?

27. oh no, people with no hair on the sides of their heads??? they’re gonna screw up our country! XD

28. E.B. Wolf | Dec 22, 2011 at 4:41 pm |

Seems counterproductive, don’t ya think?

29. E.B. Wolf | Dec 22, 2011 at 4:41 pm |

Seems counterproductive, don’t ya think?

30. Hadrian999 | Dec 22, 2011 at 8:51 pm |