Norway’s Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet Fad Has Caused a Butter Shortage

ButterNick Carbone writes in TIME:

Denmark is trying to wean its people off butter by imposing a hefty “fat tax,” but their neighbors across the Skagerrak in Norway can’t get enough of the golden goodness. A diet fad in the Scandinavian country has depleted the nation’s supply of butter. While we’d use the term “diet” lightly, the newest craze is a low-carb, high-fat feeding frenzy that has put a strain on Norway’s butter supply.

“Sales all of a sudden just soared,” Lars Galtung, head of communications at TINE, the country’s biggest farmer-owned cooperative, told Reuters. “Twenty percent in October then thirty percent in November.” The fat fad coupled with a summer that saw a major reduction in milk production spells empty supermarket dairy fridges. This year’s wet summer ruined animal feed, reducing cows’ outputs to 25 million liters less than last year. As a result, this year’s hot Christmas item isn’t the iPad or an Angry Birds game; it’s much more primitive: butter …

Read More: TIME

17 Comments on "Norway’s Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet Fad Has Caused a Butter Shortage"

1. Hadrian999 | Dec 13, 2011 at 6:06 am |

if you go low carb what do you put the butter on?

2. Hadrian999 | Dec 13, 2011 at 6:06 am |

if you go low carb what do you put the butter on?

3. Hadrian999 | Dec 13, 2011 at 2:06 am |

if you go low carb what do you put the butter on?

4. HealthNut | Dec 13, 2011 at 6:12 am |

MEAT! This seems like the Atkins craze that hit the States in the ’90s:

5. mmm sweet delicious ketosis

6. Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat.

7. Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat.

8. neverhere83 | Dec 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm |

Cause this is about the only way of eating that actually works, though moderation is probably necessary. http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

9. neverhere83 | Dec 13, 2011 at 8:52 am |

10. Anonymous | Dec 13, 2011 at 1:28 pm |

11. Fantastic news. This would be the perfect time to introduce a tax on this so-called “nutrient” (More like POISON!) fat and replace it with good, wholesome SUGAR!

12. John Myers | Dec 13, 2011 at 7:33 pm |

I’m a 40 year old male 5’6″,  and was 200 lbs. I went on a zero carb diet in 2001 or so, and my weight fell off me quickly. I do eat vegetables now with my meat or eggs or whatever (no potatoes). I got down to 145 in no time. We’ve been lied to. This supposedly healthy ‘whole grain’ bread will be the death of us.

13. John Myers | Dec 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm |