Oilsands Imperil Western Canada

250px-Athabasca_Oil_Sands_mapMike De Souza reports for the Vancouver Sun/Postmedia News:

Contamination of a major western Canadian river basin from oilsands operations is a “high-profile concern” for downstream communities and wildlife, says a newly-released “secret” presentation prepared last spring by Environment Canada that highlighted numerous warnings about the industry’s growing footprint on land, air, water and the climate.

The warnings from the department contrast with recent claims made by Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Environment Minister Peter Kent that the industry is being unfairly targeted by environmentalists who exaggerate its impacts on nature and people.

The presentation noted figures from the Canadian Energy Research Institute, a collaboration among industry, government and academics, that estimate the oilsands sector is responsible for more than 100,000 direct and indirect jobs in Canada, and will contribute more than $1.7 trillion to the country’s economy over the next 25 years.

But it warned that Alberta and other parts of Western Canada are facing a steep economic and ecological price tag for failing to crack down on the industry’s collateral damage…

Read more here.

25 Comments on "Oilsands Imperil Western Canada"

1. Anarchy Pony | Jan 1, 2012 at 2:07 am |

I think I speak for many when I say that Kent and Harper can fuck themselves to death on rusty, decades old fence posts. That are also covered in salt.

2. Anarchy Pony | Dec 31, 2011 at 10:07 pm |

3. Valinora | Jan 1, 2012 at 3:10 am |

This hardly ‘secret’.

I’ve got 2 independently written books where the authors extensively researched the tarsands and both came to the same conclusions… independently.  Tarsands use an inordinate amount of water for processing and leaves the Athabasca River highly toxic.  I can quote titles, authors, passages and page numbers for those who are anal-retentive.

That being said, there’s a reason why Harper is called the “Blue-eyed Sheik”.

4. This hardly ‘secret’.

That being said, there’s a reason why Harper is called the “Blue-eyed Sheik”.

5. Uh… I think the economy trumps the environment every time!

As long as I can have a big house, an RV, 3 snowmobiles, and 4 children, I think that people being poisoned by heavy metals in their water and food should stop complaining and go get jobs in Ft. McMurray.
    I think the huge spike in rare cancers among First Nations downriver is probably due to their lack of fast food outlets nearby!

6. Uh… I think the economy trumps the environment every time!

• BuzzCoastin | Jan 1, 2012 at 12:09 am |

the good news is that the evolutionary process
      will create humans that can live by eating toxic waste
      drink polluted water
      tolerate high levels of radiation
      live in extremely hot climates
      and shop at Walmart

• Jin The Ninja | Jan 1, 2012 at 4:58 am |

i dont mind any of the above except shopping at wal mart. hopefully i can be part of evolutionary line that skips that trait.

7. the good news is that the evolutionary process
    will create humans that can live by eating toxic waste
    drink polluted water
    tolerate high levels of radiation
    live in extremely hot climates
    and shop at Walmart

8. SmokeytheBeareatingHootheowl | Jan 1, 2012 at 4:36 am |

Progress. I picture the earth in a meat grinder, spitting out endless products. We really are insane.

9. SmokeytheBeareatingHootheowl | Jan 1, 2012 at 12:36 am |

• Anarchy Pony | Jan 1, 2012 at 1:03 am |

Give a Hoot, Burn everything, somehow it’ll turn into money and then the invisible hand of the market will make it all better.

Just remember, WE are not insane, they are insane. The corporate flacks, the corrupt government, the economists, the capitalists, developers and industrialists, they are insane. They are insane for walking society down this path, and for continuing to push/drag us down it with no safe way back.

10. Anarchy Pony | Jan 1, 2012 at 5:03 am |

11. Jin (仁) | Jan 1, 2012 at 7:59 am |

As if the systemic poisoning of the indigenous peoples and their land that surround the tar sands is not deliberate… If the people who can legally challenge Herr Harper are so infirm or in fact dead- that presents much less of a nuisance to both the gov and to industry. Alberta can go F*ck itself, but i wish it wouldn’t f*ck the rest of us with it.

12. Jin The Ninja | Jan 1, 2012 at 3:59 am |

• Democratic Shit | Jan 1, 2012 at 5:08 pm |

As Native American, bring it on. We now live in third World squalor.
      Yes we have better conditions then the Americans Indians but We are the lowest,
      without Casino revenue and regulated laws on the being the an economic vestige

Fuck you and your Royal Children.

13. Jin (仁) | Jan 1, 2012 at 8:53 am |

using tar sands industrial runoff as lube.

14. Jin (仁) | Jan 1, 2012 at 8:58 am |

15. Ronald Regan | Jan 1, 2012 at 8:47 pm |

Git rid of the Neo-Con, Bitches!

16. Ronald Regan | Jan 1, 2012 at 4:47 pm |

Git rid of the Neo-Con, Bitches!

17. Democratic Shit | Jan 1, 2012 at 9:08 pm |

As Native American, bring it on. We now live in third World squalor.
    Yes we have better conditions then the Americans Indians but We are the lowest,
    without Casino revenue and regulated laws on the being the an economic vestige

Fuck you and your Royal Children.

18. Jin (仁) | Jan 1, 2012 at 11:09 pm |

I think you misinterpreted my comment.

19. Jin (仁) | Jan 1, 2012 at 11:09 pm |

I think you misinterpreted my comment.