Scientists Develop Device To See Inside Dreams

valerie-and-her-week-of-wonders-1970-3Suspect that your spouse is enamored with another? For a fee, you’ll be able to get a recording of their dreams to playback and double check. The Telegraph reports:

The secret world of dreams has been unlocked with the invention of technology capable of illustrating images taken directly from human brains during sleep.

A team of Japanese scientists have created a device that enables the processing and imaging of thoughts and dreams as experienced in the brain to appear on a computer screen.

While researchers have so far only created technology that can reproduce simple images from the brain, the discovery paves the way for the ability to unlock people’s dreams and other brain processes.

A spokesman at ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories said: “It was the first time in the world that it was possible to visualise what people see directly from the brain activity.

“By applying this technology, it may become possible to record and replay subjective images that people perceive like dreams.” The scientists, lead by chief researcher Yukiyaso Kamitani, focused on the image recognition procedures in the retina of the human eye.

38 Comments on "Scientists Develop Device To See Inside Dreams"

1. Mindreader | Dec 17, 2011 at 12:31 am |

Next step is to take this thing Wi-Fi and produce a ‘grid’ or ‘cloud’ where everyone and anyone’s dreams can be read…but that’s only if it hasn’t been invented already.  Damn people ( I should say government’s) are friggin nosy.  But hey why buy originality and genius when you can just steal it.

2. Mindreader | Dec 16, 2011 at 8:31 pm |

3. So we can see what people are dreaming, but don’t have the cure for cancer… Huh…

4. So we can see what people are dreaming, but don’t have the cure for cancer… Huh…

• anti_secret_squirrel | Dec 17, 2011 at 2:43 pm |

This is one of the many possible cures for cancer.  I believe that it will almost definately come from one of the many rainforest around the world that we are destroying at an alarming rate.

• anti_secret_squirrel | Dec 17, 2011 at 2:46 pm |

Facts about the Abundant Life and Important Resources that Rainforests Share with Us A
        typical four-square-mile patch of rainforest contains as many as 1,500
        flowering plants, 750 species of trees, 400 species of birds and 150
        species of butterflies.Rainforests provide many important
        products for people: timber, coffee, cocoa and many medicinal products,
        including those used in the treatment of cancer.Seventy
        percent of the plants identified by the U.S. National Cancer Institute
        as useful in the treatment of cancer are found only in rainforests.More than 2,000 tropical forest plants have been identified by scientists as having anti-cancer properties.Less than one percent of the tropical rainforest species have been analyzed for their medicinal value.

• But Sam, not only can we see what people dream, we can haz nude photos of Linzey Lowhand.  That’s gotta count for sumthin’  … even if it’s probably way negative.  I bow to technology,to keep from getting my head whacked (and dreams recorded).

5. I don’t like this for many reasons.  But what I do like this is the ability to create almost anything visual.  Special effects won’t be needed or actors.  In the future (when dream reading technology is more precise) dream (athletes) will be used to create whole movies with particular actors and incredible effects.  No cameras, no actors no editors.

Plus there is another thing that will be great.  For people like me, (whose best ideas come in my sleep) I no longer have to scrounge for a piece of paper to scribble vague ideas down.  Or perhaps I’ll discover the half-remembered ideas weren’t all that great in their full form.

6. I don’t like this for many reasons.  But what I do like this is the ability to create almost anything visual.  Special effects won’t be needed or actors.  In the future (when dream reading technology is more precise) dream (athletes) will be used to create whole movies with particular actors and incredible effects.  No cameras, no actors no editors.

• the technology is still decades away from doing anything other than dark and light spots, I don’t think we’re in trouble of Inception just yet. But you bring up a great point… the focal point of a novel I started 11 years ago but never finished = [

these titles are horribly misleading of late though =/

7. the technology is still decades away from doing anything other than dark and light spots, I don’t think we’re in trouble of Inception just yet. But you bring up a great point… the focal point of a novel I started 11 years ago but never finished = [

these titles are horribly misleading of late though =/

8. Dougieberg | Dec 17, 2011 at 7:30 am |

You really don’t want to be seeing what the hell goes on in my head. Besides, in my dreams I’m huge in Japan.

9. Dougieberg | Dec 17, 2011 at 3:30 am |

10. Lmnop_nis | Dec 17, 2011 at 8:13 am |

So, you dream about being Godzilla………………???

11. Dougieberg | Dec 17, 2011 at 8:42 am |

Get out of my head!!

12. Dream master | Dec 17, 2011 at 9:11 am |

They didn’t say, what’s the resolution of dream pictures (or soon videos)? I mean, if it’s decent resolution, we might even start a website with live streaming of people’s dreams lol….
    A dream machine…sure haha

13. Dream master | Dec 17, 2011 at 5:11 am |

A dream machine…sure haha

• While researchers have so far only created technology that can reproduce simple images from the brain, the discovery paves the way for the ability to unlock people’s dreams ”  I read this as “PACMAN would look like hi-res graphics compared to what we can currently ‘see’ in a dream, but it’s bound to get better”.
      And it will.
      And we will have … Sleep Blogging!!!  (don’t let the kids watch this, folks).

14. anti_secret_squirrel | Dec 17, 2011 at 6:43 pm |

15. anti_secret_squirrel | Dec 17, 2011 at 6:46 pm |

typical four-square-mile patch of rainforest contains as many as 1,500
    flowering plants, 750 species of trees, 400 species of birds and 150
    species of butterflies.Rainforests provide many important
    products for people: timber, coffee, cocoa and many medicinal products,
    including those used in the treatment of cancer.Seventy
    percent of the plants identified by the U.S. National Cancer Institute

16. Markov Cheney | Dec 17, 2011 at 7:49 pm |

subpar story from 2008.. c’mon guys..

17. Markov Cheney | Dec 17, 2011 at 3:49 pm |

subpar story from 2008.. c’mon guys..

18. Anarchy Pony | Dec 17, 2011 at 9:14 pm |

There are not enough up votes in the world for that.

19. this would be a great way to see and potentially showcase the effects of psychedelic and hallucinogenic drugs

20. this would be a great way to see and potentially showcase the effects of psychedelic and hallucinogenic drugs

21. Next reality show , ‘The real dreams, of the real wives of the real OC.

click my name for a funny site

22. Next reality show , ‘The real dreams, of the real wives of the real OC.

click my name for a funny site

23. But Sam, not only can we see what people dream, we can haz nude photos of Linzey Lowhand.  That’s gotta count for sumthin’  … even if it’s probably way negative.  I bow to technology,to keep from getting my head whacked (and dreams recorded).

24. While researchers have so far only created technology that can reproduce simple images from the brain, the discovery paves the way for the ability to unlock people’s dreams ”  I read this as “PACMAN would look like hi-res graphics compared to what we can currently ‘see’ in a dream, but it’s bound to get better”.
    And it will.
    And we will have … Sleep Blogging!!!  (don’t let the kids watch this, folks).

25. You think governments want to get rid of something that rakes in profit?