Scientists To Clone Wooly Mammoth

mammoth_landscapeA cloned pet baby mammoth — Christmas gift craze of the year for 2018. CNN reports:

A team of scientists from Japan, Russia and the United States hopes to clone a mammoth, a symbol of Earth’s ice age that ended 12,000 years ago, according to a report in Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun. The researchers say they hope to produce a baby mammoth within six years.

The scientists say they will extract DNA from a mammoth carcass that has been preserved in a Russian laboratory and insert it into the egg cells of an African elephant in hopes of producing a mammoth embryo.

The team is being led by Akira Iritani, a professor emeritus at Kyoto University in Japan. He has built upon research from Teruhiko Wakayama of Kobe’s Riken Center for Developmental Biology, who successfully cloned a mouse from cells that had been frozen for 16 years, to devise a technique to extract egg nuclei without damaging them, according to the Yomiuri report.

“If a cloned embryo can be created, we need to discuss, before transplanting it into the womb, how to breed [the mammoth] and whether to display it to the public,” Iritani told Yomiuri. “After the mammoth is born, we’ll examine its ecology and genes to study why the species became extinct and other factors.”

42 Comments on "Scientists To Clone Wooly Mammoth"

1. Anarchy Pony | Dec 5, 2011 at 6:49 pm |

And it’s going to live where?

2. Anarchy Pony | Dec 5, 2011 at 2:49 pm |

And it’s going to live where?

• justagirl | Dec 5, 2011 at 7:12 pm |

hopefully somewhere cold..?  all the time..?  sigh.  i think this is sad.

• Anarchy Pony | Dec 5, 2011 at 9:54 pm |

It’s like all of those idiot genetic engineering apologists, “Oh we can do whatever we want now, because if we drive animals extinct we can just clone them.”
        Well where are they going to live idiots? in the habitats that no longer exist because you think you can do whatever you want? Or in a zoo?
        I can only imagine what the poor creatures would think; “Gee, thanks humanity, first you wipe us all out, then bring us back to live forever in cages.”

• ProtomanX | Dec 6, 2011 at 12:53 am |

Not to worry, we’re are long overdue for another ice age.

3. Anonymous | Dec 5, 2011 at 6:55 pm |

When they get this perfected I want my Kraken.

4. When they get this perfected I want my Kraken.

5. How will the DNA from the Mammoth NOT become “diluted” by the elephant DNA, and thus turn out to be more of an elephant than an actual Mammoth? This thing could come out looking entirely like a Mammoth, entirely like an Elephant, or anything in-between.

6. How will the DNA from the Mammoth NOT become “diluted” by the elephant DNA, and thus turn out to be more of an elephant than an actual Mammoth? This thing could come out looking entirely like a Mammoth, entirely like an Elephant, or anything in-between.

• Calypso_1 | Dec 5, 2011 at 4:14 pm |

That’s not how this works, no DNA is mixed.  A donor elephant egg has it nucleus removed and the cloned mammoth DNA is inserted.  Once an embryo is cultured it’s implanted in a surrogate
      mother elephant for gestation.  The success rate for cloning is very low and I have no idea how they are predicting cross-species fetal/mother compatibility, though I assume since there is enough genetic similarity they’ll be useing immunosuppression.

7. Anonymous | Dec 5, 2011 at 8:14 pm |

mother elephant for gestation.  The success rate for cloning is very low and I have no idea how they are predicting cross-species fetal/mother compatibility, though I assume since there is enough genetic similarity they’ll be useing immunosuppresion.

8. justagirl | Dec 5, 2011 at 11:12 pm |

hopefully somewhere cold..?  all the time..?  sigh.  i think this is sad.

9. Anonymous | Dec 6, 2011 at 12:16 am |

“pet craze” Weelll people WOULD be irresponsible enough to buy a baby animal that would grwo to the size of a Woolly Mammoth. I can picture that, sadly..

10. tooCents | Dec 5, 2011 at 8:16 pm |

11. Anarchy Pony | Dec 6, 2011 at 1:54 am |

12. Suddenly Spam! | Dec 6, 2011 at 2:44 am |

These things will make exquisite coats.

13. These things will make exquisite coats.

• Jin The Ninja | Dec 5, 2011 at 10:47 pm |

what about prehistoric fleas?

• Anarchy Pony | Dec 6, 2011 at 1:45 am |

Coats? You could make a whole hut out of one. And eat for a month.

• Redacted | Dec 6, 2011 at 5:17 am |

I prefer to eat as high up on the food chain is I can.

Lower animals are for clothing. I save Human hides for decoration. you really haven’t lived until you’ve seen a doorknob of a Baby’s skull frozen in its moment of perfect agony. It’s really quite chic.

• Calypso_1 | Dec 6, 2011 at 10:27 am |

Did you bronze your’s with one of those baby shoe kits?

• Anarchy Pony | Dec 6, 2011 at 1:13 pm |

You are insane. And I like it.

• Jin The Ninja | Dec 6, 2011 at 1:49 pm |

lol spam have you been wasting time on apartment therapy?

actually i hear skulls are quite last season, the new thing is

animal heads mounted on walls…

14. Jin (仁) | Dec 6, 2011 at 2:47 am |

what about prehistoric fleas?

15. Hadrian999 | Dec 6, 2011 at 3:51 am |

Time to upgrade the Barbeque

16. Hadrian999 | Dec 5, 2011 at 11:51 pm |

Time to upgrade the Barbeque

17. Jin (仁) | Dec 6, 2011 at 3:59 am |

carnivores…

18. Rafeeq Roberts | Dec 6, 2011 at 4:53 am |

Not to worry, we’re are long overdue for another ice age.

19. Anarchy Pony | Dec 6, 2011 at 5:45 am |

Coats? You could make a whole hut out of one. And eat for a month.

20. Suddenly Spam! | Dec 6, 2011 at 9:17 am |

I prefer to eat as high up on the food chain is I can.

Lower animals are for clothing. I save Human hides for decoration.

21. Anonymous | Dec 6, 2011 at 2:27 pm |

Did you bronze your’s with one of those baby shoe kits?

22. Anonymous | Dec 6, 2011 at 2:30 pm |

…we have seen the future of game preserve spear hunting.

23. I’m praying for a Jurassic Washington DC..GO T-Rex eat em!!  EAT EM!!

24. I’m praying for a Jurassic Washington DC..GO T-Rex eat em!!  EAT EM!!

25. Anarchy Pony | Dec 6, 2011 at 5:13 pm |

You are insane. And I like it.

26. Jin (仁) | Dec 6, 2011 at 5:49 pm |

lol spam have you been wasting time on apartment therapy?

actually i hear skulls are quite last season, the new thing is

animal heads mounted on walls…

27. we’re still melting from the last ice age, nard.

28. Hmmmm a wooly mammoth, I wonder if they are secretly reviving a few other old creatures  eh?

maybe some 15 foot Pharoh Gods like Zues.

29. Trader05 | Dec 6, 2011 at 7:36 pm |

maybe some 15 foot Pharoh Gods like Zues.