Who Stole The Moon?

Olivine basalt collected by Apollo 15. Photo: Wknight94 (CC)

Olivine basalt collected by Apollo 15. Photo: Wknight94 (CC)

Dan Vergano writes in USA Today:

NASA hauled back loads of rocks and dust from the moon, but apparently hasn’t kept good track of those samples on Earth. The space agency has lost or misplaced more than 500 pieces of the lunar rocks and other space samples, NASA’s inspector general reported Thursday, making the case for better inventory controls.

Astronauts on the Apollo moon landings from 1969 to 1972 returned 842 pounds of lunar rock and soil to Earth. The space agency now loans samples, along with meteorite and comet dust, to about 377 researchers worldwide.

The space agency now lists 517 moon rock samples as missing or stolen. However, the inspector general audit suggests much more is missing, based on inquiries to a sample of 59 scholars loaned moon rocks, comet dust or meteorites. The audit found 19% could not locate all of their samples.

It isn’t a new problem. NASA Administrator Thomas Paine threatened “waving heavy cudgels” at researchers who lost samples in a 1970 Congressional hearing…

[continues at USA TODAY]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

16 Comments on "Who Stole The Moon?"

1. emperorreagan | Dec 9, 2011 at 4:05 pm |

They gave material to scholars and academics and didn’t expect it to disappear?  Fools.

If there had been moon rocks in my lab during grad school, I would have taken a piece – and I bet 90% of graduate researchers would do likewise.

2. emperorreagan | Dec 9, 2011 at 12:05 pm |

3. Anonymous | Dec 9, 2011 at 4:35 pm |

Well, moon rocks are natural “panty peeler”, aren’t they?  I know when I want to speed up the show, so to speak, with a new date, I immediately go for the “Hey, baby, let’s go to my place to look at the rare moon rocks,” line.

Either that or “I’m Ron Paul, and Obama has put out a contract on my life” sort of thing.

4. Liam_McGonagle | Dec 9, 2011 at 12:35 pm |

• You mean the ridiculous hoax as perpetrated by Sorcha Fall again.  Yeah Ron Paul had nothing to do with that, but the first part of your joke was funny.

5. Well, to be honest, I work as a contractor for NASA doing laser based interferometry. If while I was on-site at one of their facility’s, someone left a piece of moon rock unchecked, unsupervised, and out in the open. Temptation my have its way with me. How could you not! It’s a piece of the fucking moon!

6. Well, to be honest, I work as a contractor for NASA doing laser based interferometry. If while I was on-site at one of their facility’s, someone left a piece of moon rock unchecked, unsupervised, and out in the open. Temptation my have its way with me. How could you not! It’s a piece of the fucking moon!

7. Camron Wiltshire | Dec 9, 2011 at 6:13 pm |

8. the mice did it

9. the mice did it

10. Anonymous | Dec 9, 2011 at 8:31 pm |

11. Anonymous | Dec 9, 2011 at 8:31 pm |

12. If I could pluck out the moon from the sky and give it to you I would… Oh wait, I totally did, here you go. What, you didn’t expect me to give it to you all at once did you?

13. Anonymous | Dec 10, 2011 at 12:51 am |

Maybe the grandma, whom NASA sent armed goons to retrieve her “lunar speck”, was holding out?

14. dumbsaint | Dec 9, 2011 at 8:51 pm |