Andrea Rossi’s E-Cat Cold Fusion

Source: ecathome.com

Sterling D. Allan reports on the Energy Catalyzer (also called E-Cat), a purported cold fusion or Low-Energy Nuclear Reaction (LENR) heat source built by inventor Andrea Rossi. Temper your enthusiasm in the knowledge that his website, Pure Energy Systems News, has a business relationship with Mr. Rossi:

This past week saw at least 80 stories on the web, 4 from mainstream news, regarding Andrea Rossi’s E-Cat powered by LENR or cold fusion. The hottest theme was Rossi’s assertion that he is in discussion with Home Depot to distribute 1 million home heat units this Autumn for less than $2,000 USD. Reality will probably dictate a longer time-line.

Once again we bring you a compilation of various news items about Andrea Rossi’s E-Cat that have emerged since our December 22 compilation.

Sources

• Dedicated
  • Non-Dedicated
    • PESN 6
    • ColdFusion3 2
    • Forbes 1
    • Wired 1
    • HinduBusinessLine 1
    • GreenMe.it 1
    • GreenStyle.it 1
    • InformationFarm blog 1…
  • [continues at Pure Energy Systems News]

, , ,

81 Responses to Andrea Rossi’s E-Cat Cold Fusion

1. Ronniedobbs January 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

can i use it to power my tricked out delorean?

2. Ronniedobbs January 7, 2012 at 9:53 am #

can i use it to power my tricked out delorean?

• Dunzain January 7, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

Funny, the article got me too to think of Back to the Future . :)

3. Rooti January 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

Thanks for getting this out there. This is game changing technology that appears to be on the fast track to actual production. If allowed to be developed fully it has the potential to eliminate the need for nuclear, coal, gas and oil and all the baggage they carry. It also has the potential of decentralizing power and saving us all a fortune in energy costs. If ever there was a time for this technology it is now, we just have to hope that the corporate oligarchy and their government minions get out of the way and let it happen.

4. Rooti January 7, 2012 at 9:54 am #

• Artor January 7, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

This has all the hallmarks of being a fraud. I’d love for cold fusion to be a reality, but scamming people isn’t going to bring it about any sooner.

• wgalison January 7, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

“All the hallmarks of being a fraud”: Like development by the Emeritus Professor of Physics at the University of Bologna (the oldest university in the world), self-funding by the inventors with zero outside investments, endorsement of NASA, Nobel prize winning physicists and the Swedish Skeptics Society among others

Those rascals are always ganging together to pull some scam off on the gullible public, so they can disgrace themselves, lose millions of dollars, be laughed out of academia, face endless lawsuits and invoke the hatred of the world.

You would think they would know we were on to them by now!

Don;t you love being smarter than Brian Josephson! I do!

• Redacted January 7, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

Put the pipe down.

• wgalison January 8, 2012 at 1:10 am #

That’s VERY clever, Tibus. You make a strong argument.

• Redacted January 8, 2012 at 3:23 am #

As clever as an argument you make, you still need to put the pipe down.

• Malk January 8, 2012 at 4:53 am #

best to just ignore the trolls. I promise they have more free time than you.

• Malk January 7, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

“Zawodny claims that LENR is not hot fusion, not cold fusion, but a strange kind of poorly understood “neutron absorption process” which give off useful amounts of heat, but very little radiation.  Zawodny favors the Widom-Larsen Theory as
            a possible explanation for LENR.  It involves the creation of
            heavy-mass electrons and ultra low momentum neutrons through the help of
            nanoscale magnetic fields.  You don’t have to understand the complex
            science in Zawodny’s amazing slide show to get a general sense of the
            potential historic nature of this development.”

Sounds like too much for the general disinfo crowd. Thankfully whining and waving your arms above your head won’t actually deter the forward movement of this project. Let’s just hope the power and trucking industries don’t collapse overnight.

• wgalison January 8, 2012 at 1:18 am #

Hey, we’re on the same side.

• Malk January 8, 2012 at 4:32 am #

ya I didn’t mean to include you as “waving your arms” rather the general commentators here, usually more concerned with pastries than evolution. sorry for the confusion.

• Artor January 7, 2012 at 11:36 pm #

Dig a little deeper & learn something about the subject before you run out & join the crusade.

• wgalison January 8, 2012 at 1:08 am #

Artor,

I am not a physicist, (though my brother is the Pellegrino Professor of the History of Physics at Harvard). When Nobel laureates like Brian Josephson, and Norman Ramsey , the NASA Langley research lab, and hundreds of other physicists believe that “cold fusion” (LENR) is real and worth pursuing, I would think it pretty presumptuous to dismiss it out of hand.

Your credentials are what again…..?

• Artor January 8, 2012 at 3:27 am #

My credentials are that I’m a thinking human being. A quick Google of Brian Josephson reveals that he has not endorsed e-Cat, but rather called for a demonstration of it’s principles that Andrea Rossi has so far refused to allow. If his machine works, why would he not want that verified? I have not been able to find any mention of the late Norman Ramsey offering any kind of endorsement for the e-Cat either. Apparently NASA showed some interest in buying an e-cat unit after testing, but Rossi kept changing the testing protocols against their agreement.
              Does any of this instill confidence in you? If so, I have a few bridges I’d like to offer you.
              I would be tremendously excited if cold fusion or LENR can be shown to work. It would revolutionize the world and reverse untold tons of industrial pollution. I don’t think I’m dismissing anything out of hand, but neither am I accepting anything that stinks on the surface. I hope that Rossi has made a working model, and that it floods the market sooner, rather than later, but I don’t want to see a repeat of the Pons & Fleischmann episode.

• Malk January 8, 2012 at 4:53 am #

and your fears are justifiable, a lot of us have been let down by a lot of these stories in the near past. That or their proprietors have been mysteriously killed =[ did you see this?:

"Zawodny claims that LENR is not hot fusion, not cold fusion, but a
              strange kind of poorly understood "neutron absorption process" which
              give off useful amounts of heat, but very little radiation."

now... I don't claim to understand what the f*** [ p + e* ⇒n +⎯υe ] means, but just because the old model of the universe doesn’t fit well on the new fantastic doesn’t mean it’s inherently wrong, and that’s all that article does. Without looking, or agreeing to the fact that it is an “anomalous” outcome, they just call it crap because they read a lot of books when they were younger that said we know almost everything and it’s folly to try new tricks.

we still may be let down, but anyone getting close to anything of the free energy nature should have full endorsement from all the worlds governments (not for houses and cars, but for research!) it’s a shame our “market” nations aren’t willing to openly fund important projects like this. where’s google or gates when you need em =p

• General 11 January 9, 2012 at 11:57 am #

free energy nature should have full endorsement from all the worlds governments (not for houses and cars, but for research!) it’s a shame our “market” nations aren’t willing to openly fund important projects like this. where’s google or gates when you need em =p”

This statement reeks of ignorance… Google and Bill Gates would do anything to stop this technology. Along with most governments in the world. Research is one avenue “they” allow, but its heavily monitored and a lot of amazing breakthroughs are squashed before they make it into the mainstream. Energy will always be limited because it’s used to control the masses. Bilderberger’s are not going to allow or endorse any technology that would allow for energy independence.

I really wish this tech would be allowed, but I  don’t expect it to.

• Malk January 9, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

I agree with and understand that; but you and I both know that’s immoral and wretched practice, thus I say they -should- have full endorsement. When I say “market” nations I mean that our leaders are all involved in profit, not considering the benefits it may have to people or health or the planet, they work for numbers, not for people, and it’s a shame.

• wgalison January 8, 2012 at 9:41 am #

Sometimes “a quick Google” does not suffice. Josephson has endorsed the e-cat, and he has also called for more open testing.

I’m glad you are open to the promise of LENR.

But if you read my post, you will see that I said Josephson, Ramsey and NASA all believe that LENR os real and worth pursuing, though NASA Langley and Josephson have in fact publicly endorsed Rossi.

Ramsey was the head of the DOE study on Cold Fusion and was the one dissenting voice against its conclusion. I contacted his assistant Carol Davis to find out more about his views.

There is far far more to the “Pons & Fleischmann episode” than you seem to be aware of.

I recommend you read the book “Excess Heat” by CG Beaudette http://www.amazon.com/Excess-Heat-Fusion-Research-Prevailed/dp/0967854830

I also found this article by Eugene Mallove  very informative:

Given the historical academic hostility towards LENRI see signs of warranted caution in Rossi’s approach, but I see no sign of fraud.

• wgalison January 8, 2012 at 1:16 am #

And strangely Artor, when I “dig a little deeper” I find that the skeptics have their heads stuck in theory books rather than looking at the hard empirical data streaming from labs around the world.

I am one of those nutcases who believes that theory is based on data and not the other way around.

• Chaorder Gradient January 7, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

Ahh the good ol’ technofix never really gets old…

5. Dunzain January 7, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

Funny, the article got me too to think of Back to the Future . :)

6. Anonymous January 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

7. Anarchy Pony January 7, 2012 at 5:21 pm #

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Time will tell.
      And god forbid anyone try to analyze the potential consequences of this “miracle” technology.

8. Anarchy Pony January 7, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Time will tell.

• wgalison January 7, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

“Too good to be true”: Like air travel, radio, TV, movies, lasers, skyscrapers, cell phones……

Virtually all technological advancements we enjoy today were once considered too good to be true.

• Anarchy Pony January 7, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

If it sounds too good to be true it Probably is. Not definitely, probably. And I don’t believe that movie, radio, or tv were ever described as such. And also, how the fuck are skyscrapers good in any way? The only worse blight upon scenery is a strip mine.

• wgalison January 7, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

Well, if you asked a person in the 1850′s if they could speak with their colleagues without traveling for days through hostile territory, just by talking into a box, I think they would have said “That sounds good to be true”.

I guess you can debate whether anybody actually used those exact words, but you can be sure that when the news of movies or “horseless carriages” first came to rural people they said something to that effect.
            Certainly, the leading scientists of the past thought that electricity was of no practical use, and that heavier than air travel was impossible.

I understand your dislike of skyscrapers, but obviously they are desirable to many people in the world. If cities didn’t have them, they would spread out over dozens of times more area than they do. Skyscrapers are also hundreds of times more energy efficient than single family dwellings of equivalent capacity.A lot of people consider wind turbines to be an eyesore too, but they beat the alternative. One can always go live with the Amish, but anyone using a computer is deeply invested in the world of technology.

• Redacted January 7, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

If you were to tell me now that someone had devised a practical cold fusion reactor I’d tell you to put the pipe down.

• Michael January 9, 2012 at 11:31 am #

And I’d tell you to go sit with the skeptics that said the Wright brothers were wrong. Then we can all just point and laugh at you. ;-)

• Haystack January 8, 2012 at 9:48 am #

Yeah, I remember back in the 80′s someone told me that it might be possible to create a telephone that uses radio waves instead of wires, and I tried to burn him as a witch.

9. Haystack January 7, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

I’m just disappointed that this thing isn’t actually fueled by cats.

10. Haystack January 7, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

I’m just disappointed that this thing isn’t actually fueled by cats.

11. Haystack January 7, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

I’m just disappointed that this thing isn’t actually fueled by cats.

• Calypso_1 January 8, 2012 at 10:03 am #

There is a reason no one has been allowed to observe the reaction chamber.

12. White goods January 7, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

nice dehumidifier

13. White goods January 7, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

nice dehumidifier

14. Chaorder Gradient January 7, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

Ahh the good ol’ technofix never really gets old…

15. Chaorder Gradient January 7, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

Ahh the good ol’ technofix never really gets old…

16. Chaorder Gradient January 7, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

Ahh the good ol’ technofix never really gets old…

17. Chaorder Gradient January 7, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

Ahh the good ol’ technofix never really gets old…

18. Anonymous January 7, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

19. Anonymous January 7, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

You would think they would know we were on to them by now!

Don;t you love being smarter than Brian Josephson! I do!

20. Anarchy Pony January 7, 2012 at 10:20 pm #

21. Anonymous January 7, 2012 at 11:32 pm #

22. Tibus Heth January 8, 2012 at 1:21 am #

23. Tibus Heth January 8, 2012 at 1:23 am #

Put the pipe down.

24. Malk January 8, 2012 at 2:32 am #

a possible explanation for LENR.  It involves the creation of
      heavy-mass electrons and ultra low momentum neutrons through the help of
      nanoscale magnetic fields.  You don’t have to understand the complex
      science in Zawodny’s amazing slide show to get a general sense of the
      potential historic nature of this development.”

25. Jrovnak January 8, 2012 at 2:48 am #

Be sure to look at all the comments to this article. Search Web for “I Believe in the E-Cat” Also watch Home Depot this fall for Intro to home heating market. You decide, I did after long search, study and wait. Retired Nuclear/Mechancal Engineeer!

26. Jrovnak January 7, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

27. Anonymous January 8, 2012 at 3:36 am #

28. Anonymous January 8, 2012 at 5:08 am #

Artor,

Your credentials are what again…..?

29. Anonymous January 8, 2012 at 5:10 am #

That’s VERY clever, Tibus. You make a strong argument.

30. Anonymous January 8, 2012 at 5:16 am #

31. Anonymous January 8, 2012 at 5:18 am #

Hey, we’re on the same side.

32. Tibus Heth January 8, 2012 at 7:23 am #

As clever as an argument you make, you still need to put the pipe down.

33. Anonymous January 8, 2012 at 7:27 am #

34. Malk January 8, 2012 at 8:32 am #

35. Malk January 8, 2012 at 8:53 am #

"Zawodny claims that LENR is not hot fusion, not cold fusion, but a
      strange kind of poorly understood "neutron absorption process" which
      give off useful amounts of heat, but very little radiation."

36. Malk January 8, 2012 at 8:53 am #

"Zawodny claims that LENR is not hot fusion, not cold fusion, but a
      strange kind of poorly understood "neutron absorption process" which
      give off useful amounts of heat, but very little radiation."

37. Malk January 8, 2012 at 8:53 am #

"Zawodny claims that LENR is not hot fusion, not cold fusion, but a
      strange kind of poorly understood "neutron absorption process" which
      give off useful amounts of heat, but very little radiation."

38. Malk January 8, 2012 at 8:53 am #

best to just ignore the trolls. I promise they have more free time than you.

39. Malk January 8, 2012 at 8:53 am #

best to just ignore the trolls. I promise they have more free time than you.

40. Malk January 8, 2012 at 8:53 am #

best to just ignore the trolls. I promise they have more free time than you.

41. charlesfrith January 8, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Disinfo on the back foot? Get used to it.

42. Charles Frith January 8, 2012 at 8:09 am #

Disinfo on the back foot? Get used to it.

43. Rooti January 8, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

It’s amazing how all the self proclaimed liberals are so quick to write this off. Why don’t you actually investigate it before your blow it off?

44. Rooti January 8, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

45. Rooti January 8, 2012 at 8:21 am #

46. Anonymous January 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

I’m glad you are open to the promise of LENR.

I also found this article by Eugene Mallove  very informative:

47. Haystack January 8, 2012 at 1:48 pm #

48. Anonymous January 8, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

There is a reason no one has been allowed to observe the reaction chamber.

49. Michael January 9, 2012 at 3:31 pm #

50. General 11 January 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

I really wish this tech would be allowed, but I  don’t expect it to.

51. Malk January 10, 2012 at 1:26 am #

52. Rossi Fail February 16, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

It will take just one average nerd to get their hands on a single unit, disassemble it, reverse engineer it, and publish the results to a DIY site to get rid of all the ridiculous secrecy.  If it works, then you take your science, let everyone review it (scientists or otherwise), and release it for the general population to use.  It is dangerous to let one individual or company control energy, which is what Rossi is trying to do.  Edison was equally insane but Tesla, a much bigger nerd, kicked his butt.

This is only going to end badly for Rossi.

53. Noch February 16, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

What the hell has being liberal got to do with it?! Why is it every thread has to be hijacked by morons like you who try to make everything conservative vs liberal?! Also, I have news that will shock and astound you: you are ALL conservatives in America. You may not think so, but both of your main parties are right-wing. Your parties are so right wing that even OUR Conservative party is more left-wing than the Democrats. Your two-party system is a joke.

54. Noch February 16, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

I doubt that many people would have thought the Wright brothers were wrong, as the aircraft had already been invented by John Stringfellow in 1848.

55. scienceismagicanyway February 16, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

they are supposedly doing a test here in america that is open to the media come march. we will wait and see. new discoveries are made every day and Rossi says that he has discovered a new catalyst that allows for cold fusion. all of the nay-sayers and critics should just wait to see what happens after the test… hell why can’t history be made today probability says it is bound to happen sometime anyway why not now.