Atomic Doomsday Clock Moves Closer To Midnight

Citing danger of nuclear proliferation and climate change, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists moved the hand of it’s ‘Doomsday Clock’ to five minutes to midnight.

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

21 Comments on "Atomic Doomsday Clock Moves Closer To Midnight"

1. Anonymous | Jan 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm |

You’d think I’d want to reference Watchmen, but that had a happy ending compared to Punisher: The End, which seems FAR more plausible.

2. Anonymous | Jan 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm |

3. MadHierophant | Jan 11, 2012 at 11:27 am |

• Great I had just gotten the image of blue bits scrubbed from my mind and you put it back there.  Now I need more brain bleach.

4. Anonymous | Jan 11, 2012 at 4:18 pm |

5. Anarchy Pony | Jan 11, 2012 at 8:57 pm |

It’s already “midnight” in the future, we just haven’t gotten there yet.

6. Anarchy Pony | Jan 11, 2012 at 4:57 pm |

It’s already “midnight” in the future, we just haven’t gotten there yet.

7. Nostromo Operator | Jan 11, 2012 at 9:17 pm |

search youtube or google  for ” UFOs deactivating nukes ” and stop worrying.

8. Nostromo Operator | Jan 11, 2012 at 5:17 pm |

search youtube or google  for ” UFOs deactivating nukes ” and stop worrying.

• CosmicAmazing | Jan 12, 2012 at 12:47 am |

Yeah, I have to agree with you. I’ve seen way too much evidence that suggests UFO’s are very much against nukes. I don’t think we could have a nuclear war even if we wanted to. Kinda makes ya feel good, ET’s got your back. 😉

• nukes, the greatest psyche weapon of all time, you cant rule a radioactive wilderness….

9. Hadrian999 | Jan 12, 2012 at 4:32 am |

wow scientists getting in touch with their inner pat robertson

10. Hadrian999 | Jan 12, 2012 at 12:32 am |

wow scientists getting in touch with their inner pat robertson

11. CosmicAmazing | Jan 12, 2012 at 4:47 am |

12. nukes, the greatest psyche weapon of all time, you cant rule a radioactive wilderness….

13. Mutually assured destruction | Jan 12, 2012 at 4:23 pm |

So the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists have revealed themselves as a Propaganda front.  They want us to worry about the fabricated Iranian nuclear threat and carbon footprint (they don’t seem to mind all of those tanks rolling around in the Middle East burning fossil fuel).

The real threats to humanity are Fukushima and depleted uranium.  Maybe these “Atomic Scientists” will finally take notice when their own babies are born deformed.

14. Mutually assured destruction | Jan 12, 2012 at 12:23 pm |

15. Derp I dont get it | Jan 12, 2012 at 2:57 pm |

OK I get it 5 minutes to midnight, but what does that mean in real-life numbers? I don’t understand the scale they are using. Like what is 1 minute of the Doomsday Clock? 1 month real time? Anyone?

16. DeepCough | Jan 12, 2012 at 7:01 pm |

At midnight, I think the clock should play “We’ll Meet Again” by Vera Lynn. It would be both appropriate and nostalgic.

17. DeepCough | Jan 12, 2012 at 3:01 pm |

18. Blaggef22 | Feb 6, 2012 at 9:47 am |

it’s just an allegory. there is no correlation with real time clocks. as we approach midnight we approach global nuclear shitstorm. during the cold war they measured it in seconds. it’s a silly worry-o-meter. it can move either way through time to show we’re getting closer or further from the sky falling.