Bacon Shown To Increase Cancer Risk By 19%

320px-NCI_baconYet another item to scratch off the menu (and the same goes for other processed meats, to perhaps no disinformation reader’s surprise). From the Press Association via The Guardian:

Eating two rashers of bacon a day can increase the risk of pancreatic cancer by 19% and the risk goes up if a person eats more, experts have said.

Eating 50g of processed meat every day – the equivalent to one sausage or two rashers of bacon – increases the risk by 19%, compared to people who do not eat processed meat at all.

For people consuming double this amount of processed meat (100g), the increased risk jumps to 38%, and is 57% for those eating 150g a day. But experts cautioned that the overall risk of pancreatic cancer was relatively low – in the UK, the lifetime risk of developing the disease is one in 77 for men and one in 79 for women.

Nevertheless, the disease is deadly – it is frequently diagnosed at an advanced stage and kills 80% of people in under a year. Only 5% of patients are still alive five years after diagnosis…

[More from the Press Association via The Guardian]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

62 Comments on "Bacon Shown To Increase Cancer Risk By 19%"

1. Yeah, no shit.  It’s a giant slice of fat.

2. Yeah, no shit.  It’s a giant slice of fat.

• LanceHardpound | Jan 13, 2012 at 10:44 am |

Does it mean that if my existing risk is 1%, it becomes 1.2% if I eat bacon regularly?Or does it mean that if my existing risk is 1%, it becomes 20% if I eat bacon?Important difference

• It’s the usual overly dramatic statistical horseshit that’s made to try and strike fear into everyone that enjoys a bacon sarnie.

I’ve seen these kind of statistics before and suspect that it’s more like 19% of the existing risk which means that 1.19% of bacon sarnie eaters will get pancreatic cancer.

I’ll live with the risk and enjoy my bacon sarnie. In fact, I’d probably still eat it if 19% of the population were popping their clogs from eating bacon.

3. DeepCough | Jan 13, 2012 at 2:21 pm |

Meh. Worth the risk.

4. DeepCough | Jan 13, 2012 at 10:21 am |

Meh. Worth the risk.

5. Ronniedobbs | Jan 13, 2012 at 2:31 pm |

poor jim gaffigan

6. Ronniedobbs | Jan 13, 2012 at 2:31 pm |

poor jim gaffigan

7. Ronniedobbs | Jan 13, 2012 at 10:31 am |

poor jim gaffigan

8. LanceHardpound | Jan 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm |

9. 93% of statistics are entirely made up.

10. 93% of statistics are entirely made up.

11. It’s the usual overly dramatic statistical horseshit that’s made to try and strike fear into everyone that enjoys a bacon sarnie.

12. It’s the usual overly dramatic statistical horseshit that’s made to try and strike fear into everyone that enjoys a bacon sarnie.

13. It’s the usual overly dramatic statistical horseshit that’s made to try and strike fear into everyone that enjoys a bacon sarnie.

14. Gregory Wyrdmaven | Jan 13, 2012 at 3:19 pm |

Until next month when it is shown to do the opposite.  Sigh.  I want a job like this.  Yes…I’ll be a bacon tester, thenkyewverrymuch.

15. Gregory Wyrdmaven | Jan 13, 2012 at 11:19 am |

16. Cthulhugodhead | Jan 13, 2012 at 3:38 pm |

There’s bacon and then there’s bacon.

“Free Range” bacon is balanced in fats and proteins and basically good for you (if not for all the salt, perhaps).

“Factory” bacon from unwell pork laced with stress and artificial hormones will kill you one way or the other…

17. Cthulhugodhead | Jan 13, 2012 at 11:38 am |

There’s bacon and then there’s bacon.

18. Look at all the bacon worshipers scramble to defend their god from science!

19. Look at all the bacon worshipers scramble to defend their god from science!

• Look at the zealous veggie believing the statistically exaggerated scare story. Excuse me, but I’ll eat the bacon and I’ll live or die with the consequences. We all end up in boxes one way or the other anyway.

• There’s a Church of Bacon, Mortimer.  Now do you get the joke?

• JoiquimCouteau | Jan 13, 2012 at 2:45 pm |

Yeah, we only live once, we might as well spend all our time malnourished, cognitively impaired, and smelling like shit

20. Look at the zealous veggie believing the statistically exaggerated scare story. Excuse me, but I’ll eat the bacon and I’ll live or die with the consequences. We all end up in boxes one way or the other anyway.

21. Look at the zealous veggie believing the statistically exaggerated scare story. Excuse me, but I’ll eat the bacon and I’ll live or die with the consequences. We all end up in boxes one way or the other anyway.

22. There’s a Church of Bacon, Mortimer.  Now do you get the joke?

23. Anonymous | Jan 13, 2012 at 6:45 pm |

24. EyeoftheAxis | Jan 13, 2012 at 7:42 pm |

Please enjoy bacon responsibly. Do not attempt to drive or operate machinery while eating bacon. If you or someone you love is addicted to bacon, a helpline has been set up to…

25. EyeoftheAxis | Jan 13, 2012 at 3:42 pm |

• EyeoftheAxis | Jan 13, 2012 at 4:28 pm |

If you are, or someone you love is –Thought I would correct that before Mom comes along to beat me with that old brown belt for my grammatical error. I will now open notepad in a new window and type that correction one hundred times before going out to play.

26. EyeoftheAxis | Jan 13, 2012 at 8:28 pm |

27. Batznight | Jan 13, 2012 at 10:42 pm |

That bacon looks like Costa Rica lol!

28. Batznight | Jan 13, 2012 at 6:42 pm |

That bacon looks like Costa Rica lol!

29. it’s not the bacon per se
    it’s all that extra stuff the put in the bacon “to keep it fresh”
    plus all the extra stuff they put in the pigs “to make them healthy”
    by the time you eat it
    its a chemical cocktail with a bacon chaser

30. BuzzCoastin | Jan 13, 2012 at 8:35 pm |

it’s not the bacon per se
    it’s all that extra stuff the put in the bacon “to keep it fresh”
    plus all the extra stuff they put in the pigs “to make them healthy”
    by the time you eat it
    its a chemical cocktail with a bacon chaser

31. Apathesis | Jan 14, 2012 at 12:57 am |

Increases happiness by 100%.  Worth the risk.

32. Apathesis | Jan 13, 2012 at 8:57 pm |

Increases happiness by 100%.  Worth the risk.

33. Hadrian999 | Jan 14, 2012 at 1:39 am |

whats the point of being alive if you have to give up the things you enjoy to live longer

34. Hadrian999 | Jan 13, 2012 at 9:39 pm |

35. Drewhempel | Jan 14, 2012 at 7:17 am |

cayenne kills prostate cancer.  Buy a 10 pound bag of bulk cayenne.   Eat a ton and also stops heart disease.  Have fun.

36. Drewhempel | Jan 14, 2012 at 3:17 am |

37. Remember…if you’re smart and cool and perfect and awesome and better than other people because you avoid all animal products, tobacco products, processed foods, junk foods, alcohol, drugs, risky sex and even wrap yourself in a cocoon that protects you from sudden impacts (like being hit by a bus on the way to the vegetarian/health food store because being smug was more important than looking both ways before crossing the street)…you will be rewarded!!!…

…by potentially dying ever so slightly later on average than everyone else…if you’re incredibly lucky…but either way, you die. Get over it and start living while you still can…because no one…and I mean no one…has ever gasped from their death bed “Oh…if only I could have one more bowl of tofu/mung bean sprout surprise!! Just one more….”

38. Remember…if you’re smart and cool and perfect and awesome and better than other people because you avoid all animal products, tobacco products, processed foods, junk foods, alcohol, drugs, risky sex and even wrap yourself in a cocoon that protects you from sudden impacts (like being hit by a bus on the way to the vegetarian/health food store because being smug was more important than looking both ways before crossing the street)…you will be rewarded!!!…

39. Anonymous | Jan 14, 2012 at 12:24 pm |

40. Studies saying bacon gives you cancer have been coming out peridocally for years. Good to see disinfo readers catching up with the times.

41. Cancer, here I come!

42. Cancer, here I come!

43. Cancer, here I come!

44. Bye bye Epic Meal time

45. Bye bye Epic Meal time

46. That’s a bummer man. But I think I’ll take my chances on my twice monthly bacon intake. Mmmmm.

47. That’s a bummer man. But I think I’ll take my chances on my twice monthly bacon intake. Mmmmm.

48. Do we REALLY know everything that goes into this? We might not eat it again.

49. justagirl | Jan 15, 2012 at 5:12 pm |

i love beer and pepperoni.  oh bacon is good, too.

50. justagirl | Jan 15, 2012 at 1:12 pm |

i love beer and pepperoni.  oh bacon is good, too.

51. So is breathing the air on earth. But I don’t see anyone knocking on that now do we?

52. Emailforpete645324 | Mar 13, 2012 at 6:23 pm |

This says 1 in every 77 people will eventually get Pancreatic Cancer. That would make it the biggest killer in the world, wouldn’t it?  Try 0.41 percent :  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_causes_of_death_by_rate

53. Emailforpete | Mar 13, 2012 at 6:24 pm |