Data Mining Your Soul (Or Digital Profile)

Morbidly fascinating.

Network from Michael Rigley on Vimeo.

22 Comments on "Data Mining Your Soul (Or Digital Profile)"

1. oh, stop complaining.

2. oh, stop complaining.

3. Anarchy Pony | Jan 14, 2012 at 2:42 am |

Well I guess I better learn to live outside the global industrial economy, or get deep into organized crime then, cause ain’t nobody gonna hire if they can all do this crap.

4. Anarchy Pony | Jan 13, 2012 at 10:42 pm |

5. DeepCough | Jan 14, 2012 at 4:58 am |

Yep, we are all flies caught in the World Wide Web.

6. DeepCough | Jan 14, 2012 at 4:58 am |

Yep, we are all flies caught in the World Wide Web.

7. DeepCough | Jan 14, 2012 at 12:58 am |

Yep, we are all flies caught in the World Wide Web.

8. Kenvallario | Jan 14, 2012 at 5:16 am |

so what?  a lot of bells and whistles, but no real argument or position presented….it’s like information man, like, ceases to be information man…you know…wow…no..not really…

9. Kenvallario | Jan 14, 2012 at 1:16 am |

10. herzmeister | Jan 14, 2012 at 2:42 pm |

spread the message that you can also use free and open social networks that respect your privacy, that are owned by no one and run on a decentralized server structure, that means everyone can set up a “pod”. Casual users will join an already existing one.

You can post public messages, but also restricted ones that will be encrypted and only for you and your friends to see.

– http://diasporaproject.org/ – has already a lively community of hackers, artists, activists

– http://friendica.com/ – from a former mozilla (netscape, firefox etc) developer, can also talk to diaspora

– GNU social: http://foocorp.org/projects/social/

these are mostly rather online than real life communities for now, but please spread the message, because the network effect is hard to take on!

11. herzmeister | Jan 14, 2012 at 10:42 am |

– GNU social: http://foocorp.org/projects/social/

12. One can feed disinformation (pun intended) into the structure,  masking is a complicated issue – but it is necessary to exchange use so that it forms a tumbler lock effect of interactive participation.  This needs to take place in alternative communication structures,  various hive entities so that any capture of information would merely be a capture of encoded hardware.  Get familiar with Tor and DeSopa.

13. One can feed disinformation (pun intended) into the structure,  masking is a complicated issue – but it is necessary to exchange use so that it forms a tumbler lock effect of interactive participation.  This needs to take place in alternative communication structures,  various hive entities so that any capture of information would merely be a capture of encoded hardware.  Get familiar with Tor and DeSopa.

14. BoBaSpoon | Jan 15, 2012 at 3:35 am |

So, with all this… Do not forget to wipe your asshole or if you did, shake hands with the right.

15. BoBaSpoon | Jan 14, 2012 at 11:35 pm |

16. Brocksbiz | Jan 15, 2012 at 7:53 pm |

That’s only the tip of the iceberg. Some of these people with schizophrenia may not just be paranoid.

17. Brocksbiz | Jan 15, 2012 at 3:53 pm |

18. Really, you can’t infer what is being said here?

19. Really, you can’t infer what is being said here?

20. I dont get the point. The inferred “feeling” i got by the tone of the guys voice and the clean calculating complexity of the visuals is that this is somehow a bad thing. but how is a “private internet” a bad thing? I obviously like what i like and am not interested in the things that dont interest me.

If the effect of the collection and sale of my meta data causes me to be a part of a “private internet” where my search results only pull up things i am interested in and those websites are funded by advertising that i am interested in… how is this bad? and how does information stop being information? I love that these companies are putting me into a demographic and researching what DOES interest me and what COULD interest me. As long as the search results i am not interested in ISN’T somehow blocked or censored from my demographic but merely pushed to the back of the bus, I dont see an issue. As I grow and change my interests so will my demographic. basically no matter what stage of my life i am in, this process serves up the most relevant information to me on a silver plate. Sitting through a feminine douche commercial before a youtube clip is a waste of my time. But sitting through a preview of a new video game or even a lame Axe deodorant commercial is at the very least maybe useful, to me, at some point.

I love my private internet. and hope that this sector creates even more jobs and personalizes the internet even more accurately.

ps- I dont work in the data mining or distribution sector, exclusively anyway. we all contribute in our own way. My opinion isnt coming from a professional viewpoint, but a personal one.