McDonald’s Discontinues Use Of ‘Pink Slime’ In Burgers

slimeburgerNo more slimeburgers? Until recently, 70 percent of burgers in the United States contained “pink slime”, also known as ammoniated boneless lean beef trimmings, a cheap beef filling unfit for consumption until it is gassed with ammonia. Now McDonald’s, Taco Bell, and Burger King are dropping the magic additive following a campaign of withering criticism from celebrity chef Jamie Oliver. Via the Argus Leader:

McDonald’s and two other fast-food chains have stopped using an ammonia-treated burger ingredient that meat industry critics deride as “pink slime.” The product remains widely used as beef filling in burger meat, including in school meals.

The beef is processed by Beef Products Inc. in Iowa and in three other states. One of the company’s chief innovations is to cleanse the beef of E. coli bacteria and other dangerous microbes by treating it with ammonium hydroxide.

“Basically, we’re taking a product that would be sold at the cheapest form for dogs, and after this process we can give it to humans,” food activist Jamie Oliver said in a segment of his ABC television show, Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution, that aired last spring.

BPI, which once boasted of having its product in 70 percent of the hamburgers sold in the country, has lost 25 percent of its business. McDonald’s has been joined by Taco Bell and Burger King in discontinuing use of the product, and the company is worried other chains and retailers will follow them.

102 Comments on "McDonald’s Discontinues Use Of ‘Pink Slime’ In Burgers"

1. PEOPLE REALLY PAY TO EAT THAT??!!!!

2. PEOPLE REALLY PAY TO EAT THAT??!!!!

3. PEOPLE REALLY PAY TO EAT THAT??!!!!

• Corporate_felon | Jan 11, 2012 at 3:30 pm |

That is another reason to not eat fast food and to not eat out period!  I haven’t eaten meat in about 6 years and definitely haven’t eaten fast food in that long either.  I am not saying to not eat meat just choose wisely (most meat is fillers nowadays anyways unless you get is from a farmer directly).

• Impissedoff2 | Jan 12, 2012 at 1:19 am |

As far as I know only meat items that contain ground up products can have this type of filler added.  People do need to read the label and complain to your grocer if you don’t want to eat meat-by-products.  However, the label needs to acurately label what the item contains and that’s a whole other problem.

4. Anonymous | Jan 11, 2012 at 7:27 pm |

Mmm, sanguinopurulent drainage for lunch.

5. Anonymous | Jan 11, 2012 at 7:27 pm |

Mmm, sanguinopurulent drainage for lunch.

6. Anonymous | Jan 11, 2012 at 7:27 pm |

Mmm, sanguinopurulent drainage for lunch.

7. Calypso_1 | Jan 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm |

Mmm, sanguinopurulent drainage for lunch.

• EyeoftheAxis | Jan 11, 2012 at 4:10 pm |

Welcome to Festering Wound, may I take your order please

• Calypso_1 | Jan 11, 2012 at 4:32 pm |

Welcome to the Jungle

Federal health authorities have estimated that foodborne diseases sicken 76 million people, cause 325,000 hospitalizations, and kill 5,000 Americans every year4. Likewise, a number of studies have confirmed the presence of harmful bacteria in meat in the US. After collecting ground beef samples from meat processing plants around the country in 1996, the USDA determined that 7.5% of the beef samples were contaminated with Salmonella, 11.7% were contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, 30% were contaminated with Staphylococcus Aureus, and 53.3% were contaminated with Clostridium perfringens5.  http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/processing/

…wait 5000 Americans per annum….that’s two 911 WTC’s every year.   Occupy the Abbatoirs!

• EyeoftheAxis | Jan 11, 2012 at 5:04 pm |

It’s been well over a decade of my own home grown vegetables, and the incredible cooking skills that the lovely wife has. ( I do help in the kitchen, it’s fun ) … I think if I were to eat that kind of stuff the shock to my system would make dysentery look like a walk in the park.
          — We do have some really yummy winter squash soup going, if you had a bowl I’d fill it up for ya, we’ve got plenty.

8. Anarchy Pony | Jan 11, 2012 at 7:30 pm |

Words fail me.

9. Corporate_felon | Jan 11, 2012 at 7:30 pm |

10. Anarchy Pony | Jan 11, 2012 at 3:30 pm |

Words fail me.

11. EyeoftheAxis | Jan 11, 2012 at 8:10 pm |

Welcome to Festering Wound, may I take your order please

12. Anonymous | Jan 11, 2012 at 8:32 pm |

Welcome to the Jungle

13. bah da bah bah bah! I’m chuggin it..

14. bah da bah bah bah! I’m chuggin it..

15. DeepCough | Jan 11, 2012 at 8:44 pm |

That burger looks like a Hot Pocket gone bad.

16. DeepCough | Jan 11, 2012 at 4:44 pm |

That burger looks like a Hot Pocket gone bad.

17. EyeoftheAxis | Jan 11, 2012 at 9:04 pm |

18. Apocalipstick | Jan 11, 2012 at 9:06 pm |

How can anyone possibly attempt to eat this ??? I have been at MCDonald’s once in my life, but I don’t remember this kind of slime. Perhaps it’s US only? BTW I’m from Poland maybe we have some regulations that prevent such crap in food. Hopefully:)

19. Apocalipstick | Jan 11, 2012 at 5:06 pm |

• That’s because it was cooked when you ate it the one and only time you were ever in McDonald’s in your entire life.

They don’t serve it uncooked. The photo is there to alarm you.

20. That’s because it was cooked when you ate it the one and only time you were ever in McDonald’s in your entire life.

They don’t serve it uncooked. The photo is there to alarm you.

21. Howardmayer | Jan 11, 2012 at 9:40 pm |

Jesus, Mary and Joseph…and all the alien gods too.  Ammonium Hydroxide!!!   If  I am not mistaken that shit has a MSDS hazard rating of 3 out of 4.  With 3 being a hazard rating of high.  Last time I checked that stuff was used to clean a toilet or a floor.  Beef Products Inc.  huh…sounds like a Monsanto ally.  We’ve got acrylamide coming out of the fries and phosphoric acid in the sodas.  One Shit Sandwich Combo to go please.

22. Howardmayer | Jan 11, 2012 at 5:40 pm |

23. Where was your precious FDA? In bed with dog food salesmen, that’s where. All it took was an honest man to hammer it home and the people, once informed, started voting with their dollars and raising hell with the shit-for-food industry, forcing a change.

24. Apocalipstick | Jan 11, 2012 at 9:42 pm |

Thanks for the explanation!

25. Where was your precious FDA? In bed with dog food salesmen, that’s where. All it took was an honest man to hammer it home and the people, once informed, started voting with their dollars and raising hell with the shit-for-food industry, forcing a change.

• Now how about raising hell with your local school district and investigate everything else they feed your kids. It ain’t pretty.

• Right…. and if an “activist” FDA cracked down on this practice, you’d be whining about “big gubment meddling in the free market”. Spare us the outrage paultard. You saw what your ilk did to David Kessler after he outed the tobacco industry for deceiving the public.

• Actually, I didn’t, I wasn’t paying attention to that at the time, but I’ll check it out. You are right that I would complain about an activist FDA. It isn’t the province of the state to be my babysitter. Until people are expected to know the risks and make informed decisions, or suffer the consequences, nothing will change for the better. As it is, the FDA is activist in this case, only on behalf of the dog-food-for-people industry, instead of consumers, and to the detriment of anyone who expects that if the FDA says, “it’s okay!” that it really is okay.

• That’s the difference between goals and principles. I may agree with the ends, but ends don’t justify means.

• Mr Willow | Jan 12, 2012 at 3:26 am |

Where was your precious FDA? In bed with dog food salesmen, that’s where.

And so you blame the members of the FDA, who are only looking out for their own monetary interests, which is the sole consideration in a capitalist society in deciding whether to do the job they were assigned or sell themselves to the ‘salesman’ they are supposed to be regulating?

• The FDA is supposed to be looking out for the consumer’s interests. If they are taking bribes, or hiding conflicts of interest, then they are corrupt. Libertarians believe that a system of coercion and official privilege is itself a corrupting influence on business practices that leads to market rigging, favoritism, and unequal treatment under the law. This harms consumers by preventing the best products from emerging and by incentivizing business to invest in politics rather than performance.

If a capitalist makes profits the first and foremost goal of the business, above actually selling a product that fulfills the expectations of the consumer, then that capitalist is an idiot, as well as morally bankrupt, and will be drummed out of business as people stop buying their inferior product.

• Mr Willow | Jan 12, 2012 at 10:44 pm |

You might be surprised to hear this, but I actually agree with most of that, with a couple caveats.

First, you have already admitted that if the FDA were doing its job of protecting consumers instead of taking bribes and having conflicts of interests—if it were not corrupt—then you would be complaining of government intervention. To be completely honest I am very tired of this circular logic.

“[Government program] doesn’t do what it’s supposed to!”
          “Because it’s getting paid by the people they are regulating to not regulate.”
          “Well, the agency should stop crushing business.”
          “But it isn’t doing that.”
          “Right, because it’s in bed with the companies!”
          “But if it wasn’t—if it were regulating—what it is supposed to be doing—it would be ‘crushing business’.”
          “Yeah, damn government can’t do anything right.”

So, do you want an agency that protects consumers from faulty business practices, making sure we don’t have lead in kids’ toys and hazardous chemicals in our water? Or, because it has been purchased by whatever company to not do what it was established to do, do you want to completely scrap the agency, instead of making it able to do what it was supposed to do, and just hope we adapt to all the chemicals in all of the things we buy (food, toys, water, etc.)?

Second, the idea that capitalism can be moral without regulation is an absolute farce because the profit motive is the only motive. Having a product that works as intended is only desirable to establish a brand, which, once established is either sold to another company or is used to leverage competition out of the market by acquiring it or squashing it. After that, there is little reason to continue to deliver a quality product, because where else are customers going to go, especially if several brands are owned by one conglomerate? See Freedom Arms’ acquisition of both Remington and Marlin (firearm manufacturers) and Smith and Wesson’s recent quality issues (to put it briefly, its gotten pretty damn shoddy).

And please do not say “Start a new, competing company”, because with all the emphasis on ‘intellectual property’ in today’s market, you can’t make anything that is even remotely similar to something already existing as a manufactured product, even if what you make is ten times the quality. See Apple’s proclivity to sue other electronics manufacturers who ‘copied’ their designs.

Want a touch screen? Gotta buy Apple. That’s competition right there.

• Jin The Ninja | Jan 13, 2012 at 12:09 am |

could not agree more.

• If the FDA has been letting stuff like this go, and big food chains have stopped using it because of one man bringing the information to public attention, then I say screw the FDA and chop it.

• Mr Willow | Jan 14, 2012 at 6:50 pm |

A fair assessment, but I still think it would be more useful to improve the FDA instead of get rid of it, because if it were actually doing what it was supposed to be doing (if it were beholden to our interests) we wouldn’t have to rely on whistleblowers on this sort of thing, because the things they tend to reveal wouldn’t exist in the first place.

26. Now how about raising hell with your local school district and investigate everything else they feed your kids. It ain’t pretty.

27. that actually makes me feel sick. O.O

28. that actually makes me feel sick. O.O

29. Right…. and if an “activist” FDA cracked down on this practice, you’d be whining about “big gubment meddling in the free market”. Spare us the outrage paultard. You saw what your ilk did to David Kessler after he outed the tobacco indistry.

30. That burger in the pic? It’s just got the cheese on the inside, and has been cooked rare. That’s the melted cheese and slightly bloody juice leaking out. See how a little of it has soaked into the bun beneath? Also pictured: ketchup.

Stop being so dramatic.

31. KittyDelAmour | Jan 11, 2012 at 6:26 pm |

Stop being so dramatic.

• So what your saying is that picture represents the facts? This is well known information, If you had actually read the article instead of picking out a picture on Chinese menu you didn’t bother to read or didn’t understand you might have gotten the point…

• Mr Willow | Jan 12, 2012 at 2:13 am |

That’s the melted cheese and slightly bloody juice leaking out.

Oh, goodness. Well, that makes it sound so much more appetizing. Positively scrumptious, I’d say.

32. Little Boo | Jan 11, 2012 at 10:49 pm |

I can’t believe people ate this crap!! Thats hecka NASTY!!

33. Little Boo | Jan 11, 2012 at 6:49 pm |

I can’t believe people ate this crap!! Thats hecka NASTY!!

34. Guess tofu doesn’t look so gross anymore, huh?

35. Rosemary Thompson | Jan 11, 2012 at 8:55 pm |

Guess tofu doesn’t look so gross anymore, huh?

36. Actually, I didn’t, I wasn’t paying attention to that at the time, but I’ll check it out. You are right that I would complain about an activist FDA. It isn’t the province of the state to be my babysitter. Until people are expected to know the risks and make informed decisions, or suffer the consequences, nothing will change for the better. As it is, the FDA is activist in this case, only on behalf of the dog-food-for-people industry, instead of consumers, and to the detriment of anyone who expects that if the FDA says, “it’s okay!” that it really is okay.

37. So what your saying is that picture represents the facts? This is well known information, If you had actually read the article instead of picking out a picture on a a pseudo Chinese menu you didn’t bother to read you might have gotten the point…

38. So what your saying is that picture represents the facts? This is well known information, If you had actually read the article instead of picking out a picture on a a pseudo Chinese menu you didn’t bother to read you might have gotten the point…

39. That’s the difference between goals and principles. I may agree with the ends, but ends don’t justify means.

40. hope they don’t get rid of the rat feces
    that my favorite part of a Micky D burger

41. BuzzCoastin | Jan 11, 2012 at 10:06 pm |

hope they don’t get rid of the rat feces
    that my favorite part of a Micky D burger

42. Anonymous | Jan 12, 2012 at 4:46 am |

Compared to a McDonald’s burger? No.
    I general? Yea. It still does.

43. Impissedoff2 | Jan 12, 2012 at 5:19 am |

44. Mr Willow | Jan 12, 2012 at 6:13 am |

That’s the melted cheese and slightly bloody juice leaking out.

45. I just have to say, that PICTURE actually made me gag.

I can’t image what that smells like, much less would taste like if you were unfortunate enough to accidentally put that pile of gross in your mouth.

EyeoftheAxis nailed it. That is a festering WOUND.

46. I just have to say, that PICTURE actually made me gag.

EyeoftheAxis nailed it. That is a festering WOUND.

47. Mr Willow | Jan 12, 2012 at 7:26 am |

Where was your precious FDA? In bed with dog food salesmen, that’s where.

48. Anonymous | Jan 12, 2012 at 8:05 am |

Yeah, there’s no way to make this pink slime positive, sorry Beef Products Inc.

49. MadHierophant | Jan 12, 2012 at 4:05 am |

Yeah, there’s no way to make this pink slime positive, sorry Beef Products Inc.

50. The FDA is supposed to be looking out for the consumer’s interests. If they are taking bribes, or hiding conflicts of interest, then they are corrupt. Libertarians believe that a system of coercion and official privilege is itself a corrupting influence on business practices that leads to market rigging, favoritism, and unequal treatment under the law. This harms consumers by preventing the best products from emerging and by incentivizing business to invest in politics rather than performance.

51. Backfromsociety | Jan 13, 2012 at 12:35 am |

Looks like bloody cum dripping out of your burger… Have it your way at Burger King today…

mmm… I’m lovin’ it!

52. Anomaly_of_Anomie | Jan 12, 2012 at 8:35 pm |

mmm… I’m lovin’ it!

53. Not at all surprised by this, as I worked at McDonald’s for about a year (many years ago…) and it is just as bad as you think.

I hardly ever eat beef or pork, and certainly don’t eat fast food anymore; not trying to sound like a vegan, health-nut elitist, as I understand why people do eat at those places, being the culinary equivalent of a getting a blowjob on the Sunset Strip: they’re fast, cheap, and they get the job done.  But, just like an LA hooker, they come with all sorts of strings attached that you may not be aware of, and you always feel a little dirty afterwards anyway.

54. Not at all surprised by this, as I worked at McDonald’s for about a year (many years ago…) and it is just as bad as you think.

55. Mr Willow | Jan 13, 2012 at 2:44 am |

“[Government program] doesn’t do what its supposed to!”
    “Because its getting paid by the people they are regulating to not regulate.”
    “Well, the agency should stop crushing business.”
    “But it isn’t doing that.”
    “Right, because it’s in bed with the companies!”
    “Yeah, damn government can’t do anything right.”

Want a touch screen? Gotta buy Apple. That’s competition right there.

56. Jin (仁) | Jan 13, 2012 at 4:09 am |

could not agree more.

57. Teebeebad63 | Jan 13, 2012 at 7:01 am |

It’s PEEEEEEEOPLE!!!

58. Teebeebad63 | Jan 13, 2012 at 3:01 am |

It’s PEEEEEEEOPLE!!!

59. Yet another reason to homeschool your children!

60. Yet another reason to homeschool your children!

61. Yet another reason to homeschool your children!

62. If the FDA has been letting stuff like this go, and big food chains have stopped using it because of one man bringing the information to public attention, then I say screw the FDA and chop it.

63. Mr Willow | Jan 14, 2012 at 10:50 pm |

64. wilbur517 | Jan 16, 2012 at 2:48 pm |

May i super-size that ooooozing stream of slime please?

65. wilbur517 | Jan 16, 2012 at 10:48 am |

May i super-size that ooooozing stream of slime please?

66. wilbur517 | Jan 16, 2012 at 10:48 am |

May i super-size that ooooozing stream of slime please?

67. asdf1234321 | Jan 17, 2012 at 7:46 am |

I’ve worked at 3 McDonald’s locations and have eaten there my whole life and have never seen pink slime.

68. asdf1234321 | Jan 17, 2012 at 3:46 am |

69. Go vegan and you don’t have to worry about any of that crap in your diet.  You also don’t have to worry about hormones that are added to beef.  And your body will love you for it.

70. If more people would only get enlightened and actually start to ‘ GIVE A SHIT” we could get LOTS of things changed!!

71. The FDA, like so many other government agencies , should be disbanded. they do NOTHING BUT fill their OWN pockets, and sell out to the highest bidder on everything else. List ONE TIME in recent history – like , oh the past 50 years – when they have actually done ANYTHING to PROTECT the US population. About every new drug that gets to market gets there either IN SPITE OF or BECAUSE OF the regulations being either lifted or ignored.

72. AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY !!!!!

73. the problem with this being, they are beholden ONLY to whoever puts the most money in their pockets.  If they were to EVER do their “JOB”  there would not be so many offerings from ” BIG PHARMA” that , after only a year or two  on the market, start killing people.

• Mr Willow | Jan 18, 2012 at 4:17 pm |

Unless you remove money from the equation.

Right, and so you would rather scrap the entire agency, instead of improve it. That’s fixing the problem.

74. mcdonalds always advertized 100% pure beef.thats what is says on the boxes in the stores also.talk about out right lying to the public.Where are all the Lawyers.

• I agree where are all the lawers,I know where my lawer is and he will here from me on this matter. I feel that if more people would take a stand and sue these companys that lie to the public with false advertising is fraud and is putting our health at risk. Thank You for standing up.

75. I might be going to hell for not being the best christian but I take comfort in knowing that people who cheat, steal and murder without any thought will be in hell with me. Come on all you CEO’s, CFO’s board members and investors…pack your bags…hell is waiting.

76. i roll into KFC drive thru, i order large popcorn chicken, large fries and a bottle of drink. girl says you want that in a combo? what is the point of asking? if i say i am effectively saying this…..i do not want the combo i want the same exact items but want to pay more.

i dont get why they ask me if i want combo…..i dont fucking care.

77. Zeroequalsone | Mar 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm |

Eat out hell…..it’s in 70% of hamburger meat period!  That means you’re coming home and serving it too!