Moderate Marijuana Smoking Doesn’t Hurt Lungs

Marijuana jointGood news for those who partake via AP/Fox News:

Smoking a joint once a week or a bit more apparently doesn’t harm the lungs, suggests a 20-year study that bolsters evidence that marijuana doesn’t do the kind of damage tobacco does.

The results, from one of the largest and longest studies on the health effects of marijuana, are hazier for heavy users – those who smoke two or more joints daily for several years. The data suggest that using marijuana that often might cause a decline in lung function, but there weren’t enough heavy users among the 5,000 young adults in the study to draw firm conclusions.

Marijuana is an illegal drug under federal law although some states allow its use for medical purposes.

The study by researchers at the University of California, San Francisco, and the University of Alabama at Birmingham was released Tuesday by the Journal of the American Medical Association.

The findings echo results in some smaller studies that showed while marijuana contains some of the same toxic chemicals as tobacco, it does not carry the same risks for lung disease…

[continues at AP/Fox News]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

100 Comments on "Moderate Marijuana Smoking Doesn’t Hurt Lungs"

1. DeepCough | Jan 11, 2012 at 9:52 pm |

Studies like this are basically old news now: that Cannabis cause no significant or permanent harm to your body should today be common sense.

2. DeepCough | Jan 11, 2012 at 5:52 pm |

3. jigglyboobs | Jan 11, 2012 at 10:59 pm |

duh. most things won’t hurt you if only used moderately.

4. jigglyboobs | Jan 11, 2012 at 10:59 pm |

duh. most things won’t hurt you if only used moderately.

5. jigglyboobs | Jan 11, 2012 at 10:59 pm |

duh. most things won’t hurt you if only used moderately.

6. jigglyboobs | Jan 11, 2012 at 6:59 pm |

duh. most things won’t hurt you if only used moderately.

7. even cigarettes don’t cause cancer in moderate use, it’s the people smoking packs daily that get cancer.

8. even cigarettes don’t cause cancer in moderate use, it’s the people smoking packs daily that get cancer.

• Yet, second hand smoke causes cancer……….. How does that work?

• Voidthought | Jan 12, 2012 at 12:52 am |

When your body is not getting its daily intake of vitamins from living foods then you always will inevitably be more prone to any disease. You are what you (eat)do and don’t do. The strong will survive and the weak shall perish–that is the lot of man.

• sirius fnord | Jan 12, 2012 at 4:06 am |

Language people, language. It matters what magic words we use to describe and create our reality. So if we all could refrain from saying things like “for all MANKIND or things like the lot of man” I say this as their are two sides to our species and mostly our language caters for men alone. We should all strat saying HUMANKIND instead as it is much more apt.

You may think i am being a pain here, but words are magic and help forge the reality we see, and according to the language we appear to be unbalanced in favour of the male.

Anyway big love to mary jane and all her followers.

• WTF?

• Well I thought it made sense

• It makes sense, but how do we go from cigarettes causing cancer to saying it better to use humankind instead of mankind or “lot of man”. lol

Gotta love the interwebs.

@ccccca7f30d22bc99b16dc95aed9a83c:disqus  Also, healthy people who take care of themselves get cancer too. It’s not just how you eat.

• Come on “mankind” is just a synonym for “humanity”. In THIS particular case I gotta disagree with ya.

• Stress can cause cancer. Yet apparently everybody’s high on that shit these days.

9. Hadrian999 | Jan 12, 2012 at 12:20 am |

can we just legalize the stuff already, enforcing the prohibition is a waste of money

10. Hadrian999 | Jan 11, 2012 at 8:20 pm |

11. Once I ate to much cheese, and the milk wasn’t pasteurized first :O

12. Once I ate to much cheese, and the milk wasn’t pasteurized first :O

13. Anarchy Pony | Jan 12, 2012 at 2:51 am |

You’re doomed.

14. this study that says that marijuana contains some of the same toxic chemicals as tobacco is bull.  unless the they put these chemicals in the marijuana.

15. this study that says that marijuana contains some of the same toxic chemicals as tobacco is bull.  unless the they put these chemicals in the marijuana.

• They roll the marijuana with tobacco in same joint. I know, it’s retarded and no one does that. But that’s how these things get so skewed…

• Jin The Ninja | Jan 12, 2012 at 2:09 am |

i remember on occasion in highschool when people (ahem) would add ganja to their cigarette. it’s not that uncommon, especially for noob smokers.

• Marc Michel | Jan 12, 2012 at 5:57 am |

Maybe nobody in the US… but in Europe it’s pretty much standard to mix tobacco and ganja within a joint… you guys are just too hardcore only smokin pure stuff… 😉

• So if it’s not a fag and it’s not a joint then what is it? A faggy joint? You Brits are so silly.

• I think its just something that is relatively new. They commonly do it to make sure they smoke every crumb of weed preventing the problem of a roach(cus who cares if its all tobacco at that point…)

16. Josh Steves | Jan 12, 2012 at 4:11 am |

This is too funny. I just had a doctors check up yesterday. My doctor always asks me if I’m a smoker and I always say no. Thing is, I poke smot every day. I’ve even asked my doctor on numerous occasions how my lungs look, because I’ve had asthma since I was a child. She told me my lungs look fine and I’ve been doing good keeping my asthma under control. One thing she doesn’t know is how I’ve been keeping my asthma under control. I stopped taking my asthma medication (singular) 3 years ago and started smoking organically grown marijuana. Since then I can now out run my friends who are cigarette smokers. 🙂  I use a vaporizer BTW. Only occasionally will I take a puff off of a joint. It also helps with anxiety related to stress.

17. Josh Steves | Jan 12, 2012 at 12:11 am |

• DontPanic | Jan 12, 2012 at 11:04 am |

“It also helps with anxiety related to stress” Unfortunately, it can also cause a great deal of anxiety for some. But individuals should still have the right to choose if they want to partake without the fear of negative legal repercussions…

• What you have been doing right is the Vaporizer. That is not harmful. The harm in smoking marihuana is not in the marihuana department, but in the “smoking”. Any time you inhale hot smoke into your lungs you are hurting them as well as your throat, tongue etc. Vaporizing is the answer to a 100% healthy use of cannabis. Or food.

• SickOfSycophants | Jan 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm |

> The harm in smoking marihuana is not in the marihuana department, but in
        the “smoking”. Any time you inhale hot smoke into your lungs you are
        hurting them as well as your throat, tongue etc

Sounds like common sense, but the science does not back up your claims.

• Correct! Scientific studies show that marijuana heals mutated cells. Which means the damage done to your lungs by the smoke is actually countered by the healing effects of THC.

God I love this plant.

18. They roll the marijuana with tobacco in same joint. I know, it’s retarded and no one does that. But that’s how these things get so skewed…

19. 80_year_old_midget | Jan 12, 2012 at 4:27 am |

First world problems…..

20. Yet, second hand smoke causes cancer……….. How does that work?

21. Voidthought | Jan 12, 2012 at 4:52 am |

22. Anonymous | Jan 12, 2012 at 6:04 am |

Why MariJuana does not Smoking  Hurt Lungs?

23. Mr Willow | Jan 12, 2012 at 6:08 am |

Or. . . you can just make brownies (or any other baked good really) and completely bypass any potential (though largely non-existent) damage to your lungs.

Can we please just legalize it, already—and not just for medical purposes? With all of the accumulated information concerning its health effects, it’s prohibition is beyond laughable.

24. Mr Willow | Jan 12, 2012 at 2:08 am |

Can we please just legalize it, already—and not just for medical purposes? With all of the accumulated information concerning its health effects, its prohibition is beyond laughable.

• Maybe there are detrimental effects other than physical health effects

• Mr Willow | Jan 12, 2012 at 2:52 am |

Example?

• Of course, playing devils advocate here, but psychological effects, social effects, etc. But really, I said maybe for a reason, I don’t have any specific reasons other than gut feelings gotten over the years of use (because of course, any effects are already there and I’d be a fish looking for water).

(also brownies are so much better)

• Mr Willow | Jan 12, 2012 at 3:07 pm |

Had a feeling you were playing devil’s advocate.

Still, I personally can’t think of any psychological effects beyond mild euphoria and the potential to look around you and really see what’s happening, and no social effects other than those who partake being shunned by those around them because of the stigma of ‘associating with potheads’.

I always preferred baked-goods over smoking. You can also make tea with it. Very versatile.

• Well I believe in moderation, and just like anything (alcoholism?) too much can be bad in my opinion. If you’ve seen any pot junkies you’d understand (they are a weird sight, but definitely not a pretty one). But of course just like alcoholism there’s probably another underlying cause separate from the weed.

All in all I will say that the only bad thing I could see someone losing from too much of it, is our most precious resource: Time.

• Monkey See Monkey Do | Jan 13, 2012 at 5:33 am |

pot junkies, you mean like Sadhu’s? Time, one of mans most valued materials that only exists in the material.

• I’d hardly call anyone who spends all his time smoking and watching Family guy or some nonsense, and rushes over to some guy named Bone around the corner for more weed when he runs out, a Sadhu; however I see your point

• the only one I have found after a lifetime of abuse (of various drugs, not just mj) is short term memory loss 😉

• Munchies…

I think if more people smoked marijuana, Hostess wouldn’t have gone bankrupt.

25. Jin (仁) | Jan 12, 2012 at 6:09 am |

The post is very informative. It is a
    pleasure reading it. I have also bookmarked you for checking out new
    posts.

Chiswick
    Taxi

30. sirius fnord | Jan 12, 2012 at 8:06 am |

Anyway big love to mary jane and all her followers.

31. the only one I have found after a lifetime of abuse (of various drugs, not just mj) is short term memory loss 😉

32. Marc Michel | Jan 12, 2012 at 9:57 am |

33. DontPanic | Jan 12, 2012 at 3:04 pm |

34. WTF?

35. I AM SO TIRED OF SEEING POORLY ROLLED JOINTS IN THE MEDIA!

36. I AM SO TIRED OF SEEING POORLY ROLLED JOINTS IN THE MEDIA!

37. Munchies…

I think if more people smoked marijuana, Hostess wouldn’t have gone bankrupt.

38. Of course, playing devils advocate here, but psychological effects, social effects, etc. But really, I said maybe for a reason, I don’t have any specific reasons other than gut feelings gotten over the years of use (because of course, any effects are already there and I’d be a fish looking for water).

(also brownies are so much better)

39. I’m glad you got your priorities straightened out

40. So if it’s not a fag and it’s not a joint then what is it? A faggy joint? You Brits are so silly.

41. EyeoftheAxis | Jan 12, 2012 at 6:15 pm |

Them boys from Oklahoma roll their joints all wrong, way to skinny and to damn long. Well I ain’t no holy roller so I just use a bong, cause them boys from Oklahoma roll their joints all wrong.

42. Well I thought it made sense

43. I think its just something that is relatively new. They commonly do it to make sure they smoke every crumb of weed preventing the problem of a roach(cus who cares if its all tobacco at that point…)

44. OK, so this is not necessarily recommended, but I actually tried to OD on marijuana. Took an entire pound (16 ounces) of headies, piff, medical grade — whatever you want to call the good shit — and dissolved it into a solvent and rendered it down into pure THC oil. Then I ate and smoked all of it. Yes, I know it sounds stupid, irresponsible and unnecessary, but it was for science!

The affects, at first, were like smoking a lot of pot. Then after a few hours had gone by I became very tired and my energy level dropped to that of a 80 year old man (I’m 28, 6 ft 1″ and weigh 220lbs BTW). So I ended up sleeping for a few hours then waking up and instantly feeling like I smoked 10 joints in a row. This cycle went on for almost 3 days, until the forth day when I started to get my energy and clarity back. I also lost 4 lbs during this little charade. Maybe because of the lack of energy, I felt no need to eat very much. So with the experiment concluded I can now say marijuana cannot harm you. And if it can, you need to consume way way way more than I did and I don’t see how that’s possible.

As for it’s effects on your lungs. I have a friend who is 57 and he’s been smoking marijuana habitually since he was 14 years old. Never once in his 57 years of existence has he ever had shortness of breath or any lung problem for that matter. He’s healthy as an ox and does landscaping for a living. So I would have to say from knowing him, marijuana cannot harm your lungs.

Keep up the fight disinfo! Let’s change the haters minds!

45. OK, so this is not necessarily recommended, but I actually tried to OD on marijuana. Took an entire pound (16 ounces) of headies, piff, medical grade — whatever you want to call the good shit — and dissolved it into a solvent and rendered it down into pure THC oil. Then I ate and smoked all of it. Yes, I know it sounds stupid, irresponsible and unnecessary, but it was for science!

Keep up the fight disinfo! Let’s change the haters minds!

46. Woah THAT’s a fat joint

47. Woah THAT’s a fat joint

• Sammy Tate | Jan 12, 2012 at 2:44 pm |

You should see the ones I roll on Sundays. It’s bigger than that and its a cross. Because Jesus fucking loved weed!

48. What you have been doing right is the Vaporizer. That is not harmful. The harm in smoking marihuana is not in the marihuana department, but in the “smoking”. Any time you inhale hot smoke into your lungs you are hurting them as well as your throat, tongue etc. Vaporizing is the answer to a 100% healthy use of cannabis. Or food.

49. It makes sense, but how do we go from cigarettes causing cancer to saying it better to use humankind instead of mankind or “lot of man”. lol

Gotta love the interwebs.

50. Stress can cause cancer. Yet apparently everybody’s high on that shit these days.

51. Sammy Tate | Jan 12, 2012 at 6:44 pm |

52. Come on “mankind” is just a synonym for “humanity”. In THIS particular case I gotta disagree with ya.

53. Mr Willow | Jan 12, 2012 at 7:07 pm |

Had a feeling you were playing devil’s advocate.

54. Well I believe in moderation, and just like anything (alcoholism?) too much can be bad in my opinion. If you’ve seen any pot junkies you’d understand (they are a weird sight, but definitely not a pretty one). But of course just like alcoholism there’s probably another underlying cause separate from the weed.

55. SickOfSycophants | Jan 12, 2012 at 9:25 pm |

> The harm in smoking marihuana is not in the marihuana department, but in
    the “smoking”. Any time you inhale hot smoke into your lungs you are
    hurting them as well as your throat, tongue etc

Sounds like common sense, but the science does not back up your claims.

56. Correct! Scientific studies show that marijuana heals mutated cells. Which means the damage done to your lungs by the smoke is actually countered by the healing effects of THC.

God I love this plant.

57. Monkey See Monkey Do | Jan 13, 2012 at 9:33 am |

58. Monkey See Monkey Do | Jan 13, 2012 at 9:33 am |

59. Monkey See Monkey Do | Jan 13, 2012 at 9:33 am |

60. Monkey See Monkey Do | Jan 13, 2012 at 9:33 am |

61. Monkey See Monkey Do | Jan 13, 2012 at 9:33 am |

62. Monkey See Monkey Do | Jan 13, 2012 at 9:33 am |

63. I’d hardly call anyone who spends all his time smoking and watching Family guy or some nonsense, and rushes over to some guy named Bone around the corner for more weed when he runs out, a Sadhu; however I see your point

64. I’d hardly call anyone who spends all his time smoking and watching Family guy or some nonsense, and rushes over to some guy named Bone around the corner for more weed when he runs out, a Sadhu; however I see your point

65. No room for quips?

66. Alex Cull | Feb 2, 2012 at 6:00 pm |

Governments don’t seem to understand that it is completely within everyone’s rights to do whatever the hell they want to themselves. Hell,even if marijuana was bad for you, it wouldn’t matter, cause it’s my body, not the damn government’s.