Seeing And Hearing In The Future

scienceIn an interview with the Believer, key performance artist and electronic musician Laurie Anderson traverses a lot of ground. But one intriguing portion concerns her thoughts on sensory enhancement as the big advancement to come. If we can view, hear, and touch better and more intensely, will we be more alive?

Five thousand years from now — let’s say we didn’t find the God particle. We’re still looking. I think we probably won’t be making things of the nature that we are now. I think we’ll just be trying to appreciate things more. Maybe we’ll design better ears. I mean, our hearing’s crappy. We’ll have huge ears and we’ll be able to tune in to Mars, or we’ll have a hundred lenses through which we can look onto the surface of Mars with our so-called “bare eyes,” or look through our hands. We’ll be able to be in the present more effectively.

Read More: Believer

15 Comments on "Seeing And Hearing In The Future"

1. I love when magical thinking(the bad kind) and prospects of the technofix begin to merge together.

2. I love when magical thinking(the bad kind) and prospects of the technofix begin to merge together.

3. I love when magical thinking(the bad kind) and prospects of the technofix begin to merge together.

4. SteveJobs | Jan 13, 2012 at 8:37 pm |

And they just call me a fucking terrorist. Last train to Aushwitz and Im screaming for vengeance, people will just ‘he’s going to get us all killed!’ Fucking Idiots no one in this fucking room knows a damn thing

*kicks over table with clockmaker prototype

5. SteveJobs | Jan 13, 2012 at 8:37 pm |

*kicks over table with clockmaker prototype

6. SteveJobs | Jan 13, 2012 at 8:37 pm |

7. SteveJobs | Jan 13, 2012 at 8:37 pm |

8. SteveJobs | Jan 13, 2012 at 4:37 pm |

*kicks over table with clockmaker prototype

9. SteveJobs | Jan 13, 2012 at 4:37 pm |

10. I can’t tell you how much less interesting these comments are because they’re by the overrated Laurie Anderson.

11. postpunkprometheus | Jan 13, 2012 at 4:46 pm |

12. if humans are still around five thousand years from now
    that in and of itself it will be amazing

13. BuzzCoastin | Jan 13, 2012 at 8:40 pm |

if humans are still around five thousand years from now
    that in and of itself it will be amazing

14. Anonymous | Jan 14, 2012 at 12:00 pm |

15. Electronic musician talks about how things might be 5000 years from now. It is really that ridiculous.