Smart Contact Lenses To Monitor Your Health And Treat Disease

This is so Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol! From CBS Pittsburgh:

Forty-million Americans wear contact lenses. In the not so distant future, contacts may do a lot more than just help you see.

What if the lenses could look inside of you to diagnose, monitor and even treat disease? Sound far-fetched? Well, it may not be too far away.

The new generation of contact lenses is being called “smart lenses,” and they are packed with circuits, sensors and wireless technology – all designed to keep an eye on your health.

“There’s a possibility to develop a really, really important new tool for medicine,” said Babak Parviz, PH.D., the developer of the Smart Lens.

A team of researchers at the University of Washington built and are testing the smart lens. They believe it could one day replace the standard blood test…

[continues at CBS Pittsburgh]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

18 Comments on "Smart Contact Lenses To Monitor Your Health And Treat Disease"

1. Jin (仁) | Jan 12, 2012 at 11:47 pm |

actually traditional diagnostic techniques work very well and are far less invasive. without universal healthcare, the data collected in this procedure will simply be used to deny people coverage. and why would one want their private records stored in such a way, as can be readily downloaded?

i remember a study that claimed 70-80% of new doctors do not even practice the diagnostic methods proven to work, which is why so many people can have diseases go undetected for so long.

not a fan, but then again i love specs.

2. Jin The Ninja | Jan 12, 2012 at 7:47 pm |

not a fan, but then again i love specs.

• Anarchy Pony | Jan 12, 2012 at 9:03 pm |

I can’t handle things touching my eyes. Drives me crazy, like seriously, murder crazy.

• Jin The Ninja | Jan 12, 2012 at 9:23 pm |

me too, i tried back when contacts were “cool” (way back when), and they killed my eyes. i am perfectly fine with wearing reading glasses.

• Simiantongue | Jan 12, 2012 at 9:14 pm |

I think you’re right. I remembered a video I saw some time ago that touches on this. Definitely some advantages but I have about a thousand criticisms about this video. The least of which is that Michio Kaku seems very naive about human nature if he thinks these technologies would be used in such a benign way.

• Jin The Ninja | Jan 12, 2012 at 9:24 pm |

exactly, i like aspects of Michio Kaku, but he literally venerates technology like a god, which i strongly dislike.

3. Anarchy Pony | Jan 13, 2012 at 1:03 am |

4. Simiantongue | Jan 13, 2012 at 1:14 am |

5. Jin (仁) | Jan 13, 2012 at 1:23 am |

6. Jin (仁) | Jan 13, 2012 at 1:24 am |

7. Anarchy Pony | Jan 13, 2012 at 2:08 am |

Besides, with transition lenses, my glasses are also… Sunglasses! =D

8. Jin (仁) | Jan 13, 2012 at 2:32 am |

lol well i don’t have those, but i appreciate the dual nature of them.

9. I can see the illuminati late night infomercial sketches for this already,
    “Don’t like a RFID chip in your body to trace you like a dog? well, try Smart Lens!”

10. I can see the illuminati late night infomercial sketches for this already,

11. Great!
    Maybe they could tell me what pharmaceuticals I need to start taking!

Try a holistic nutritionist, chances are that you are lacking something in your diet.

Or… continue giving your money to “Big Pharma”

I’m sure that if my contact lenses are telling what’s wrong with me that some huge-gantic drug co. is behind it!

12. Great!
    Maybe they could tell me what pharmaceuticals I need to start taking!

Or… continue giving your money to “Big Pharma”