The ‘Strange Sounds’ YouTube Meme: Apocalypse? HAARP? Viral Marketing?

Footage recording  bizarre mystery sounds of seemingly immense proportions emanating from the heavens (like the ones above) are being posted from multiple points of the globe but mainly in the Northern Hemisphere:

Speculation is rife as to their cause and nature and the story has been quickly spotted by the usual suspects:

A dedicated blog (strangesoundsinthesky.com) of some months standing has even sprung up to cater for the phenomenon.

More Fortean sceptical write-ups include:

• Doubtful News, takes the long historical view, referencing the great unsung Fortean researcher William R. Corliss’ Earthquakes, Tides, Unidentified Sounds and Other Related Phenomena, and mass copycat behaviour
  • Reddit provides a technical analysis of the videos and gives us cause for suspicion

So what is it? The evolution of The Hum? The Last Trump? HAARP? Solar flares?

Or have we all been punked by J.J. Abram’s keen sense of mass hysteria and his latest world-wide PR campaign for Cloverfield 2?

Or is the truth some crazy combination of all the above and more? Post your opinions and rants below.

, , , , , , ,

111 Responses to The ‘Strange Sounds’ YouTube Meme: Apocalypse? HAARP? Viral Marketing?

1. AL January 21, 2012 at 3:21 am #

Ive studied audio engineering and ive used synths for years a good many of these are definitely synthesized, some im not so sure though. The Kiev one and all the ones that sound like that are a little more interesting, could still be fake though, wouldnt be hard to do.

2. VoxMagi January 21, 2012 at 3:21 am #

Sorry dudes…taco nights are always rough on me. Hope no one lost as much sleep as I did.

• Camron Wiltshire January 21, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Ah you beat me to it.
      Pfrt.

• Loli January 29, 2012 at 3:08 am #

they got this stuff called beano now, so you won’t scare the natives next time

3. Katbox1 January 21, 2012 at 3:33 am #

I don’t believe any of them.

4. purgatopia January 21, 2012 at 3:35 am #

It all sounds like something from the band “Stars of the Lid”…which makes it awesome.  Seriously, though, a lot of it sounds the same to me, as if it is sound that has been overlaid on multiple videos.  I am thinking it is viral marketing at this point.  In August of 2011, some theorized that this sound was air escaping from deep underground military bases after subterranean nuclear blasts that were also used to explain the earthquakes in Colorado and Virginia at that time.  Its actually interesting to note that the sound was heard by all at a professional Baseball game in Florida and the TV announcers even commented on it.  Hmmm….Not sure how to explain that.  Interesting for sure but in the age of high-punkitude, who knows!

5. madpmadashell January 21, 2012 at 3:36 am #

It’s just the spawn of christian evangelicals from the US trying to scare their minions into thinking that it may be the trumpets of Jeeeeesus sounding the second coming. Oh and that it just so happens to coincide with the current election year when they want their minions good and fearful so, they’ll want to have a “good christian” candidate to vote for. I guess this means you OUT Mitt.

6. Simiantongue January 21, 2012 at 4:42 am #

Warning there is a ending spoiler for a movie here. Don’t read this if you don’t want to know beforehand. It gets around to sounds in the sky.

In the movie “Red State” there are two young people thrown together in a skirmish between federal agents and religious fundamentalists. A girl from the family of a radical church and a young man who was their prisoner that was going to be executed by them.

They are the only two characters with any redeeming qualities that are going to do something “good” in a situation where it appears all sides are wrong. The leader of the religious cult and his followers are planning on everyone being killed and going on to their heavenly reward. The federal agents have screwed up the situation and have decided there should be no witnesses. The two young protagonists decide they want to rescue the youngest children from the massacre.

However when they approach the federal agents they are gunned down. At that moment what appears to be incredibly loud and perplexing sounds, horns from heaven start blowing in the skies. It’s a very chilling and memorable moment in the movie. At that moment in the movie, from the perspective of the movie viewer, it appears that these two were “innocents” of a sort and that the moment they are killed, that is the moment of gods decision about the redeemable qualities of human kind, or lack therein. Some sort of judgement appears to have been passed. The horns are the signal of this. There is more to the story but I don’t need to tell you the rest for it to be pertinent.

Since this movie sounds from the sky have become a very popular internet meme. Some of these recordings are actually rips of those sound effects from the film. That scene is actually one of the best in the film. It’s worth a watch just for that scene alone maybe.

The motivation for making recordings, at least some of them I think, is a sort of religious “isn’t that chilling” fervor. While watching the movie it gives you kind of a chill. So you can imagine if that one chilling idea is separated from the chaff of the film it could generate some fascination with people.

• Anarchy Pony January 21, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

I liked that film.

• mxyzptlk January 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

A-YUP! Been posting the same thing elsewhere — that this was already done in Red State, and just maybe we’re seeing a new meme generated from that film. It’s like sonic planking.

• Cittagaze January 22, 2012 at 7:21 am #

definitely the red state sound….great movie though lol

• Carlos Eduardo Saraiva January 25, 2012 at 12:18 am #

I’ll check out the movie then..

7. zedted January 21, 2012 at 5:56 am #

Would you believe? Me, you, anyone?  The audio with video has very little weight, but what if your best friend heard it and was there? What if, would you believe it then?   I don’t know, you don’t know, we weren’t there.
    But if it happened to me I know I would feel like a loon trying to convince anyone that what I saw or heard was real.  Just lock me up, gimme good drugs. PLEASE!

Too much weird stuff happening right now.  How would you react if you were present for an alien landing?  Would you fall apart? Would you go for your guns? What?

• Malk January 21, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

I think that’s called “thinking outside of the box.” Something we don’t get to see much of on here lately; I suppose the site has gotten ‘popular’ over time. I tend to listen when thousands of people all over the world are going ??? stadiums, cities, forests, kids, teens, adults. I’m the kind of ass to assume that most of the people on this planet are liars and jerks just looking to get a kick out of pissing other people off, don’t get me wrong there out there, but no on this kind of scale.

something new is going on, and that’s all I know for sure so far. might be totally normal every ten thousand years and we just don’t know it. then again it is 2012…

• Malk January 21, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

lol I missed a REALLY key word in there: I’m “not” the kind of ass…

8. Heath January 21, 2012 at 6:57 am #

Sweet! It appears Fripp has made a new album…

• supernatter January 22, 2012 at 5:22 am #

brian eno would be more melodic

• Kahnmoon February 10, 2012 at 11:05 pm #

My first thought when hearing them was WOW! Eno and Throbbing Gristle together at last!

9. Simon January 21, 2012 at 9:09 am #

The Children of Alduin awake! Arise Dovahkin and show thy fury!

• RoboKy January 21, 2012 at 10:26 am #

I’m waiting for the troll video where you hear a FUS RO DAH after some dramatic build up.

10. m1kesa1m0ns January 21, 2012 at 9:37 am #

as someone who has experimented with FM synthesis and tape speed, it’s obvious to me most of them are fake. As the guy on Reddit points out, one is real but easily explained.

11. PlantFan January 21, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Just people near a rave warming up the sound system

12. Artor January 21, 2012 at 11:29 am #

It sounds to me like cars driving over a metal-decked bridge. Could we get the opinions of professional sound engineers? I have no faith that these recordings are not faked.

13. Zenc January 21, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

Some of this sounds like parts of “Blood and Honey” by the Swans.

14. Anarchy Pony January 21, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

There have been reports of mystery sounds for centuries. I doubt that it’s being caused by haarp or anything like that. Could be some kind unexplained atmospheric or geological effect.

15. Jim January 21, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

I never heard these sounds and neither have friends and relatives who are spread over Canada. If this is as haunting as it sounds and is very loud, I’m quite sure more people would have heard these sounds and would be reported in the mainstream media. This is viral marketing IMO.

16. Matt January 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

It’s the very calling of the gods. We must stand up and fight for humanity a we know it. It’s time we start to work together and preserve what we know an love.

• Anarchy Pony January 21, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

We need to fight for a lot more than just humanity.

17. Matt January 21, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

Dragonrend! Who wants to come with me to soverguard

• Anarchy Pony January 21, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

All you ridiculous dragonborns are ridiculous. I’m perfectly happy hiding from my destiny in the thieves guild.
      And it’s Sovngarde

• JaceD January 21, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

Pffft thieves guild? You pussy, take a piece of the nightmother fool! The dark brotherhood are coming for you.

• Anarchy Pony January 21, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

I drop every pitiful assassin you fools send my way. You come at me, prepare to get paralyzed and helpless, ’cause my alchemy skills will end you.

• JaceD January 22, 2012 at 1:50 am #

Ha! You’re no match for my maxed out sneak / marksman skills, one shot with a poison arrow and you’re dead.

• Anarchy Pony January 22, 2012 at 1:52 am #

Nocturnal has made me one with the shadows. I will fade away before your very eyes.

• JaceD January 22, 2012 at 5:56 am #

Good call, i forgot the thieves guild had nocturnal… Nightingale armour is probably the most badass looking armour in the game.

• Anarchy Pony January 22, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

Word up yo. And I got me hand crafted daedric weapons too.

• supermatter January 22, 2012 at 5:28 am #

not that i care this board devolved into a skyrim because its apparently more interesting then wannabe indie film makers putting Robert Fripp/(name funny ambient artist here) babble about noises in the sky. I killed every Vigilant of Stendar and felt no remorse beat that trolls

• D.D.B. January 22, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

Looks like the “Gamers” among us just outed themselves…

18. Trep January 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm #

My guess is that this is viral marketing for the terrible-looking movie “Battleship”.  I just rewatched the trailer for it, and the alien ship sounds were pretty similar to the ones in the posted video.

19. Antediluvian January 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

Just Lustmord recording his new album.

• PlaceWhereTheBlackStarsHang January 21, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Oh, wow…cannot thank you enough for introducing me to this artist! His music will be haunting my dreamscapes for some time to come…

• Loli January 29, 2012 at 3:05 am #

O.O     freakin awesome

• Loli January 29, 2012 at 3:05 am #

also thanks for the new musical experience

• Blah January 30, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

first thing i thought about too.

20. Tio Holtzman January 21, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

From Aphex Twin’s new album Selected Ambient Works Volume III (Disc 2)

21. johnny herrengo January 21, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

It’s obviously the same camera operator in every sequence. How did he get to all those different places in one week? This is some really thin bullshit my friends.

22. Teilomsas January 21, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

Cthulu strikes from above?

• DeepCough January 23, 2012 at 1:06 am #

No, those would be the Flying Polyps.

23. Ken January 21, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

This is odd.  I heard something like this on thursday.  I didn’t think to record it or anything as i was working in my garage and thought the church was playing something different even though it was late in the afternoon.  WEIRD.

24. Seandorts January 22, 2012 at 7:42 am #

Not a warming sound at all. Quite unsettling

25. naima January 22, 2012 at 11:41 am #

i heard this last night in london too

26. MadHierophant January 22, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

I think one of those is the Hypnotoad sound…

27. Thepcman12003 January 22, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

The curious about that is that last night arrownd 6:00 PM hours of Puerto Rico and 7:00 PM hours in Florida I was talking with a friend and in boths locations a wierd sound were on the air. We heard the same sound on more than 250 miles away from each other. Of course nobody will believe that, but was true.

28. Weird_guy69 January 23, 2012 at 3:32 am #

At 48 seconds in a bird squaks and the exact same sqawk at 13:38 in different locations

29. Ronmexico93 January 23, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

Edmunton, Alberta? come on, spell the city right at least

30. Lestatsmith January 24, 2012 at 5:13 am #

It is very Nice and Interesting Cartoon for watch in type of Video Player Online .

31. Christ January 24, 2012 at 5:54 am #

Holographic sound being tested for the false alien invasion and second coming….. coming soon if they have their way.

• Signal31 January 28, 2012 at 2:25 am #

Yeah, I’m going for the false alien invasion theory, too. It’s whacky enough to be true, and if I’m going to be infamous for posting here, I want to be an official crackpot, and not one of them pussy wannabe’s like David Icke. (Except now I have to write a damned book.)

32. dp1974 January 24, 2012 at 9:46 am #

Update from Strieber’s website: http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/strange-sounds-being-heard-worldwide

33. TrojanBoi January 24, 2012 at 11:00 am #

This is what stupid sounds like

34. Paul Tremble January 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

HAARP in action

35. CanorousC January 25, 2012 at 12:09 am #

I’ll just leave this here…

36. CanorousC January 25, 2012 at 12:10 am #

Oh…and don’t forget Cloverfield did this for their first movie… ;)

37. AquaHaze January 25, 2012 at 11:57 am #

Watch the last half hour of Red State. Enough said.

38. Theblog January 25, 2012 at 7:49 pm #

Haarp…. there are several of these set up around the northern hemisphere, used to modify the ionosphere. It’s bad news!

39. paul January 25, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

believe it or not, i actually heard this low frequency sound about a month ago. it continued for about an hour then it stopped. strange because i don’t live anywhere near construction sites.

40. Soldier of love January 26, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

THE MUSIC REVOLUTION
    I think that the world is suffering a disharmony caused because all the music we listen is in a frecuency of  440 Hz since 1939 rather than 432 Hz wich is an universal harmonic frecency, causing 8 Hz of acumulated contamination.. We must revolution the music changing the frecuency to its original one and stop complaining about if HAARP does a shit.. heres is a link http://humansarefree.com/2011/05/432-hz-vs-440-hz-documentary.html .. i havent wachted it I just posted the one I think is useful, my real references are this http://teatrevesadespertar.wordpress.com/category/metafisica/ but they are in spanish because im mexican :b. I hope traductors make a good job.

HOW TO CANCEL HAARP DAMAGE
    We must generate orgon http://sanatate.tripod.com/id13.html

Peace and love

41. Soldier of love January 26, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

THE MUSIC REVOLUTION

HOW TO CANCEL HAARP DAMAGE
    We must generate orgon http://sanatate.tripod.com/id13.html

Peace and love

42. Soldier of love January 26, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

Btw We also heard this noise in the southern states of Mexico!

43. Soldier of love January 26, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

Btw We also heard this noise in the southern states of Mexico!

44. Wjmiller132 January 26, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

I don’t believe this the same as UFOs and Virgin Mary sitings and crop circles way too meany fakers not enough Science. I need more evidence other then crappy Videos and recordings.

45. Wjmiller132 January 26, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

46. Deadheadfordays January 27, 2012 at 1:57 am #

Soldier of Love is dead on. Orgone technology is an awesome idea if you have the spiritual capacity to comprehend it along with enough conciouss enlightenment to put it to power. Start making those cloudbusters!

47. RighteouslyIndignant January 27, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

Puuuuuh-leez!

48. Mhart9600 January 27, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

If this is actually real, why are all the other people caught in the recording casually walking around like nothing is going on or more people are not on their balconies trying to figure out what that noise is… I know if I heard something like that, I would not be continuing my day like nothing had happened. And I’m pretty sure the last two clips were filmed at the same place, just adjacent buildings. If you look real close the buildings and surrounding landscapes look almost identical. Nice try though!

49. Bwahahaaaa!!! January 27, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

Just saw “Red State” last night.  Randomly clicked a movie on netflix, then I see this post.  Hilarious!

50. Crud1972 January 29, 2012 at 11:08 am #

I was playing ghosties.

51. Crud1972 January 29, 2012 at 11:12 am #

no wait…
    Mooninites!!

52. Clacla Setebelese February 1, 2012 at 2:46 am #

the biggest flash mob of history, I say!

53. Bfh1223 February 1, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

strangely a couple weeks ago i heard a similar sound to this in chicago and it was pretty distinct from the usual construction sounds, plus when i looked out the window there was no construction going on where i usually hear it from… it creeped me out but i kinda just dismissed it… probably nothing but its strange that it was such a similar sound in the same place and around the same time

54. Burak Ickin February 1, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

I heard the same Noises in Switzerland Zürich at 01.02.2012…….

55. Bfwcarving February 1, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

What a dumb conspiracy theory/vid! Oooo, strange sounds, If you believe this rot you should be expelled from the gene pool forthwith! Sheesh!

56. Zosomia February 3, 2012 at 7:41 am #

I guarantee the first clip is being filmed near a grated bridge and the sound you hear is vehicles of various size driving across the bridge.

57. David Martinez February 3, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

could be viral marketing for Pacific Rim.

58. Abel Rodriguez February 3, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

Polar shift!

59. 138 February 8, 2012 at 2:44 am #

Wow, I heard sounds like this around december in Myrtle Beach. I just dismissed it as possible construction noise. I had no clue this was happening around the world. To me it sounded like a huge hollow metal box being dragged across a floor. It was loud enough to startle me.

60. Pigtails February 8, 2012 at 7:45 am #

The Trumpets of Heaven have sounded.  Prepare for your demise, all of you corporate thieves and crooked bankers.  This is your warning, politicans who have sold your souls for money.

• Christ February 9, 2012 at 2:08 pm #

The irony of their own mischievousness foretelling their own inevitable demise. FUCK THEM!

• aosifg February 13, 2012 at 4:45 am #

I don’t think the horns of heaven are partial to 99% either………     Its over bro…   Lets just enjoy the resonant bass while we can…

61. J February 9, 2012 at 10:25 pm #

i like how they threw those three things in with it… but thas aight..

62. Martin February 10, 2012 at 3:55 am #

“Mmh”, ………. sounds lika a new “Scorn” Album? xD
    Check out the Album “Logghi Barogghi”. ^^

63. Sennalvr February 10, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

I live in the  Chicago area and I’ve never heard these sounds while I’ve been outside. And I haven’t heard anything on the news about it either. My guess is someone is doing some sort of advanced PR campaign for some weird movie they’re marketing.

• M.C. February 13, 2012 at 8:42 am #

Same here. I would have heard that. Besides, look at all the videos. “Ho-hum, this is just me filming absolutely nothing…oh wait! What’s the weird sound that just so happened to ring out whilst I film nothing?’

64. Moix February 11, 2012 at 2:47 am #

This is so fake… ¿How can anyone believe this is real? ¿How can this be on Disinfo?

65. RevCat February 12, 2012 at 9:11 pm #

What they are hearing and recording is the Earth’s crust vibrating. This is caused by a destabilization of it’s magnetic field. We are currently 600,000 years overdue for a polarity shift and in the past 100 years the polarity has become unstable, signaling that a reversal may be coming very soon. It won’t be the end of the world, but things will be a little weird for a number of years as the new North and South poles stabilize.

• Joanne February 15, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

You are 100% right! I hope others listen to you.

• Kyle Belarion February 17, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

Earth’s crust vibrating would create extremely low tones that we would for the most part not hear!  We perhaps might hear the overtones of it, but even then, they would be rumbles, not strange trumpet/synthesizer frequencies that abruptly stop with no reverb tail whatsoever.. good theory, but bollocks..

66. The Tribunal February 13, 2012 at 4:51 am #

Some governments have begun experimentation with an electromagnetic, international intercomm system….    Now i know why the illuminati has been suggestiong that everyone become a rock star….  Maybe a few of them will learn how to manipulate latent sound vibrationand charge the energy…

67. JayPeas February 13, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

Possibly columns of cell phone to satellite reverberations from overload of usage in the Northern Hemisphere. JP

68. itsbonertime February 14, 2012 at 2:32 am #

my question is, why arent people freaking the fuck out…if i were to witness this shit, i would be yelling some nonsense for sure….if this is p.r…its brilliant.

69. Warner Brown February 15, 2012 at 2:10 am #

I’m a producer. This is garageband manipulated sounds, obviously mixed in over natural ambience, because the sounds do not match the recording quality of those cameras. It was just edited in.

70. BiPolar bear February 15, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

PHOTOSHOPPED

• Kyle Belarion February 17, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

LORLZZZ!!!! YOU CAN’T EDIT SOUNDS IN PHOTOSHOP.

71. Raphie6 February 16, 2012 at 1:13 am #

1.The sounds don’t even match.
    2.Anyone can add sounds to a video like that, using any sound/video rendering software.
    3.remember “the boy who cried wolf?

72. tuesday February 17, 2012 at 12:15 am #

Earth Crust Displacement

73. jack meoff February 17, 2012 at 12:18 am #

please–do you guys think people really believe this bullshit

74. Mactnasi February 17, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

It is Heimdall blowing the Gjallarhorn

75. Kyle Belarion February 17, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

What would be a LOT more interesting to me is if someone actually tried to catalog the number of witnesses who have video evidence, and perhaps other people in their area who claim to have also heard the sounds and can be somehow proven not to know said previous people with videos.. THEN you have something to really look at.  I use synthesizers too, many of these could have been made in Absynth..

Someone needs to analyze the sounds for how well they blend in with the ambient noise.. perhaps some Fourier analysis, then you have your answer.

76. Mikal Cg February 18, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

These are very common synth sounds. You’ve also heard these in movies such as “War of the Worlds (2005)”.

77. Nancy Chandler March 7, 2012 at 9:39 pm #

Sure there are going to be spoofs and hoaxes.  But, when someone hears them first hand in their yard in Savannah and calls me every time it happens, I know she is holding out her cell phone – not a 40 yr old stay at home Mom spoofing with the soundtrack to Red State or War of the Worlds.  Anyway, I’ve heard bad music in my day, it usually doesnt mess up my equilibrium.