Three-Foot Rat Found In New York City Shoe Store

Wondering what creature will inherit the earth after the fall of man in 2012? Well, take a peek at our future masters. Someone tweeted this photo of a gigantic rat, supposedly caught inside a Foot Locker store in the Bronx. Similarly sized rats were spotted in Brooklyn last year (with some photographic evidence as well). Via Gothamist:

rat

60 Comments on "Three-Foot Rat Found In New York City Shoe Store"

1. Rex Vestri | Jan 11, 2012 at 4:55 pm |

I call bullshit.  I think it’s a camera depth perspective trick.  Compare the size of the handle of the [shovel/hoe/scraper] he’s holding the rat on to the size of the rat. That’s not his Right arm, it’s the handle of the [shovel/hoe/scraper]. It looks to me like he’s just holding it really close to the camera, making it look bigger compared against his body/legs in the background.

2. Rex Vestri | Jan 11, 2012 at 4:55 pm |

3. Rex Vestri | Jan 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm |

I call bullshit.  It’s a camera depth perspective trick.  It looks to me like he’s just holding it really close to the camera, making it look bigger compared against his body/legs in the background. That’s not his Right arm, it’s the handle of the floor scraper he’s holding the rat on. Compare the size of the handle to the size of the rat.

• Calypso_1 | Jan 11, 2012 at 1:25 pm |

Without a doubt.  That’s a standard floor scraper – blades for those run 180-350mm width in most industrial catalogs.

• It’s awesome you know that Calypso. Furthermore, why is it hard to believe? Humans range from 4 foot to 7 feet. Why can’t rats range in size as well?

• Calypso_1 | Jan 11, 2012 at 5:11 pm |

Because the rat is approx the same length as the scraper blade thus would have a body length from 8.18″-15.9″  which is indeed a range of sizes and would fit the standard length of a rat which is 8″-11″  Furthermore, the diameter of the shaft on such a tool is usually 1″ and as such I estimate this to be a 9.5″ blade.  Which makes this rat very close to the median size.  If this isn’t enough I’ll show you something else that is awesome called trigonometry and we can take the range of human heights you provided and estimate the angle of inclination for the tool so as to have a better understanding of the illusion of perspective.

• Anarchy Pony | Jan 11, 2012 at 5:15 pm |

Damn son! You just blew my mind!

•  I just got finished not hurting my lungs by smoking a bunch o’ weed, and oddly enough this explanation makes perfect sense to me. I think.

• then why is it the same distance as the boxes next to it yet they don’t look huge? it takes up less than 25% of the shot so you’re obviously wrong.

• MemeHermetic | Jan 12, 2012 at 9:06 pm |

4. Simiantongue | Jan 11, 2012 at 5:22 pm |

I’ve seen bigger.

5. Simiantongue | Jan 11, 2012 at 1:22 pm |

I’ve seen bigger.

6. Anonymous | Jan 11, 2012 at 5:25 pm |

7. IT’S AN ROUS!!! IN A FIRE SWAMP!!!!!

8. IT’S AN ROUS!!! IN A FIRE SWAMP!!!!!

9. Looks like a job for Mountain Dew.

10. Looks like a job for Mountain Dew.

11. Mr Willow | Jan 11, 2012 at 6:15 pm |

No problem. Just throw it in a barrel of Mountain Dew.

12. Mr Willow | Jan 11, 2012 at 2:15 pm |

No problem. Just throw it in a barrel of Mountain Dew.

• Howardmayer | Jan 11, 2012 at 5:46 pm |

…. then ship it to McDonalds for an Ammonium Hydroxide bath…quite a few burgers can be made out him

13. Jin (仁) | Jan 11, 2012 at 6:16 pm |

what- capybara!?!

14. Anonymous | Jan 11, 2012 at 6:19 pm |

Rest in peace, Master Splinter.

15. Euelenspiegel | Jan 11, 2012 at 6:19 pm |

I’ll be glad to pick up my flute, and bring them to Wall Street…

16. Euelenspiegel | Jan 11, 2012 at 6:19 pm |

I’ll be glad to pick up my flute, and bring them to Wall Street…

17. MadHierophant | Jan 11, 2012 at 2:19 pm |

Rest in peace, Master Splinter.

18. Euelenspiegel | Jan 11, 2012 at 2:19 pm |

I’ll be glad to pick up my flute, and bring them to Wall Street…

19. you can compare it to the shoeboxes on the left since those are basically universal in size.. appears the rat is at least 1 foot long for JUST the body.. tail and i suppose whiskers could really add on to that length..

20. you can compare it to the shoeboxes on the left since those are basically universal in size.. appears the rat is at least 1 foot long for JUST the body.. tail and i suppose whiskers could really add on to that length..

21. antisecretsquirrel | Jan 11, 2012 at 7:34 pm |

I want a “vaccinated” pet one! LOL

22. antisecretsquirrel | Jan 11, 2012 at 3:34 pm |

I want a “vaccinated” pet one! LOL

23. It’s awesome you know that Calypso. Furthermore, why is it hard to believe? Humans range from 4 foot to 7 feet. Why can’t rats range in size as well?

24. Anonymous | Jan 11, 2012 at 9:11 pm |

25. Anarchy Pony | Jan 11, 2012 at 9:15 pm |

Damn son! You just blew my mind!

26. then why is it the same distance as the boxes next to it yet they don’t look huge? it takes up less than 25% of the shot so you’re obviously wrong.

27. mmmm tasty rat

28. mmmm tasty rat

29. Howardmayer | Jan 11, 2012 at 9:46 pm |

30. Howardmayer | Jan 11, 2012 at 9:46 pm |

31. Kennyjade | Jan 11, 2012 at 9:49 pm |

Somebody slipped him some Food of the Gods.  Check that basement for anything bubbling up from the ground.

32. Kennyjade | Jan 11, 2012 at 9:49 pm |

33. Kennyjade | Jan 11, 2012 at 5:49 pm |

34.  I just got finished not hurting my lungs by smoking a bunch o’ weed, and oddly enough this explanation makes perfect sense to me. I think.

35. A Wall Street boy dropped dead on a scraper.

36. A Wall Street boy dropped dead on a scraper.

37. i thought Bushy was bigger than that
    maybe that was Cheney
    he’s a big friggin rat

38. BuzzCoastin | Jan 11, 2012 at 10:25 pm |

i thought Bushy was bigger than that
    maybe that was Cheney
    he’s a big friggin rat

39. Anonymous | Jan 12, 2012 at 4:42 am |

are those it’s rat balls there?

40. are those it’s rat balls there?

41. Hfnicholson | Jan 12, 2012 at 8:31 am |

That’s as big as a dog….

42. Hfnicholson | Jan 12, 2012 at 4:31 am |

That’s as big as a dog….

43. It’s not a rat – it’s a possum! All possums look like that, likes rodents of unusual size. Possums can get huge.

44. It’s not a rat – it’s a possum! All possums look like that, likes rodents of unusual size. Possums can get huge.

45. It’s not bullshit. When I was a kid it wasn’t an uncommon sight to see huge rats around this size. When the city took a huge step to control the rat and roach problem the average size went down for a couple of decades. Since then they have gotten lax on the issue and I’ve been seeing and hearing reports of an upsurge in both populations and size again. A huge rat like this is not unbelievable.

46. EWWWW!!!!

47. EWWWW!!!!

48. Johnnyloydrobertson | Jan 15, 2012 at 9:42 pm |

That rat IS as big as it looks and it is an African Pouched Gambian Rat.  SOMEHOW, someone brought them over here!  WHY?!

49. Johnnyloydrobertson | Jan 15, 2012 at 5:42 pm |