Why Mitt Romney Likes Firing People (Video)

There’s plenty of hub-bub on the internets about Mitt Romney saying he “likes firing people.” He’s what Mr. “Corporations Are People” said in a longer clip below and an article from Suzanne Lucas on CBS News that likely explains his thinking:

The presidential election is just one big job interview, so it makes sense that as long as we’re talking about hiring, we should talk about firing. Mitt Romney recently said: “I like being able to fire people who provide services to me. If someone doesn’t give me the good service I need, I’m going to go get somebody else to provide that service to me.” Horrifying, right? How on earth could any human being like firing anyone? Well, to be fair, he didn’t say he liked firing anyone. He said he liked being able to fire someone. And so do you. You do it all the time.

Read More: CBS News

26 Comments on "Why Mitt Romney Likes Firing People (Video)"

1. quantumfoam | Jan 10, 2012 at 9:50 pm |

Did you guys just waste everyone’s time by including a worthless ad/video?

2. quantumfoam | Jan 10, 2012 at 5:50 pm |

Did you guys just waste everyone’s time by including a worthless ad/video?

• CBS put the ad in, and so swapped with a video from the AP that has a shorter ad you can skip.

If you mean Mitt Romney is the ad, well, that is another discussion …

3. CBS put the ad in, and so swapped with a video from the AP that has a shorter ad you can skip.

If you mean Mitt Romney is the ad, well, that is another discussion …

4. SickOfSycophants | Jan 10, 2012 at 10:18 pm |

We’re clearing Mitt Romney’s name now?  I mean it has been so muddied by this issue.  Bravo, hero submitter.  Bravo.  [slow clap]

5. SickOfSycophants | Jan 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm |

• No it’s an opinion. An opinion that surely needs to be debated. If you want an echo chamber maybe Disinfo is not the right site for you.

No one is saying I agree with Romney, only that soundbites aren’t useful, no matter who it happens to. But we all do it, and the media does it like mad to every candidate every time election time rolls around.

• chinagreenelvis | Jan 10, 2012 at 8:27 pm |

I agree. Critical thought is of the utmost importance, especially when it means second guessing your own predispositions in order to make sure you’re making the most accurate assessment possible. Far too often people don’t care to question things that cater to their biases.

If I’m going to dislike Mitt Romney, I want to dislike him for the right reasons – not quotes taken out of context, not the clever media editing of social engineers.

• Agreed, and to add to what Mr Willow is saying above, who is actually attempting a real discussion on the issue, for the last 24 hours the mainstream media and blogosphere have been fixated on whether Romney is a real life
          Ebenezer Scrooge, playing armchair psychologist instead of talking about the ideas and political philosophy involved in the statements made.

If Romney does well in New Hampshire tonight, which looks like it will happen, the media will tell us the choice for the next president is between Mr. “Hope and Change” and Mr. “(Catchphrase TBD)” … pretty sure most people visiting this site aren’t terribly excited about the “choice” of these two candidates …

• Clearing his name? No. Clearing the issue? Of course.

Probably his most obvious mistake was in putting it in bosses’ terms – that of hiring and firing.

Of course, the guy missed on the fact that many people are unemployed, underemployed or unable to get into a job that gets good insurance. Add to that many of the “self-employed” who don’t earn enough to get their own insurance without going without (food or electricity). Then he leaves hanging the issue that only through company insurance do people get any breaks.

6. No it’s an opinion. An opinion that surely needs to be debated. If you want an echo chamber maybe Disinfo is not the right site for you.

7. Mr Willow | Jan 11, 2012 at 12:21 am |

Or maybe we could treat healthcare as a fundamental human right, instead of a privilege of those that can afford it.

8. Mr Willow | Jan 10, 2012 at 8:21 pm |

9. chinagreenelvis | Jan 11, 2012 at 12:27 am |

10. Butter Knife | Jan 11, 2012 at 12:35 am |

It’s cute to me that the Republicans, proclaimed advocates of “states rights” and opponents of Federal usurpation, are all into forcing states to allow interstate insurance purchasing.

So much for shrinking the size and scope of Federal government (I am well aware that nobody* actually wants to do that anyway, regardless of empty words to the contrary).

*within the subset of “people holding opinions that actually matter” as opposed to “people who hold opinions”

11. Butter Knife | Jan 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm |

12. Agreed, and to add to what Mr Willow is saying above, who is actually attempting a real discussion on the issue, for the last 24 hours the mainstream media and blogosphere have been fixated on whether Romney is a real life

13. Clearing his name? No. Clearing the issue? Of course.

14. Clearing his name? No. Clearing the issue? Of course.

15. DeepCough | Jan 11, 2012 at 5:22 am |

Dear Mitt Romney:

We have read your resume thoroughly, and we have concluded that you are not the appropriate candidate as you do not have the qualities befitting the position of Executive-in-Chief of the Oval Office.

Sincerely,

The American People.

16. DeepCough | Jan 11, 2012 at 1:22 am |

Dear Mitt Romney:

Sincerely,

The American People.

17. Very nice and helpful information has been given in this topic. I like the way you explain the things. Keep working

18. Yourmother | Jan 11, 2012 at 1:03 pm |

Before trolls begin nibbling at my ankles, I’ll say Romney isn’t my horse in the race. The following comes from personal experience: Spend any length of time in the military, enough to reach a supervisory role, and holy hell you’ll wish you could fire people. Instead you’re stuck doing an idiot draft every few months; trading a couple of old idiots off for a couple of new ones between different departments. Remember that the knuckle draggers I’m talking about are paid with public funds. There’s no way to get rid of them if they stay out of trouble and show up to work at a bare minimum.

19. Yourmother | Jan 11, 2012 at 9:03 am |

20. The military of which I remember being a part did not allow “Knuckle Draggers”. I lead by example and made sure the Soldiers I lead were doing the right thing from 0500 until 1700 Monday through Friday. Sounds like you need to re-evaluate your leadership style, or get the hell out of the military.

21. It is EXTREMELY clear when Romney says he enjoys firing people who provide him services like health benefits.