Clint Eastwood’s ‘Half Time America’ Commercial

The most entertaining part of watching the annual American Football Superbowl was, as usual, the expensively produced commercials, showing off the most creative minds of Madison Avenue. For my money the funniest was not Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno pitching Acura (Honda), but Clint Eastwood in toughest Dirty Harry / Gran Torino mode proclaiming that America is going to mount a comeback in the “second half.”

An honorable mention however to Chevrolet, who capitalized on the Mayan Calendar Apocalypse meme in this spot, where Twinkies also made an appearance, presumably because they are indestructible as well as indigestible:

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

35 Comments on "Clint Eastwood’s ‘Half Time America’ Commercial"

1. Monkey See Monkey Do | Feb 6, 2012 at 10:37 am |

The half-time of the super bowl. A time where the scum of the earth namely advertisers and marketer’s get to have their way with people’s minds for a while. It’s also a time where we get to see all manner of artists selling out to the highest bidder.

2. Superbowl half-time commercials have no place on Disinfo, unless they’re being analyzed.

3. eyeoftheaxis | Feb 6, 2012 at 12:25 pm |

I think I’m the only freak that never watches the stupid bowl, not even for the halftime show or the commercials. As an artist that has done more than my share of selling out, ( time was the overlords would chop our heads of for not painting what and how they wanted ) I find the whole unpleasant thing a bit like taking the temperature of the consumer culture with a rectal thermometer, only less accurate.

•  must be a patriots fan…

• eyeoftheaxis | Feb 6, 2012 at 7:19 pm |

It is very common for people with very high fevers to hallucinate(and have seizures too). It usually isn’t a good idea to allow a fever to get so high that hallucinations occur, my guess would be that there is some kind of damage occuring to the brain at that point. I would assume it would be best to use some kind of technique to keep the fever to a reasonable level…

4. DeepCough | Feb 6, 2012 at 12:58 pm |

Analysis: If there is one thing the United States still produces better than any other nation, it’s propaga–duh, I mean, commercials!

5. Anarchy Pony | Feb 6, 2012 at 1:03 pm |

Something tells me that no we are not going to be making a comeback, ever.

• Calypso_1 | Feb 6, 2012 at 1:15 pm |

Yes sir, the American mythos is riding off into the sunset.  I would have rather seen an overweight Val Kilmer twilirling a cup for a hand out in front of a Chinese bank official.

6. It’s over. Stick a fork in disinfo’s ass, it’s done.
    I *never* thought I’d see the likes of this kind of
    pointless garbage on Disnfo. Sad really.

• Anarchy Pony | Feb 6, 2012 at 2:40 pm |

The whole point is that this shit is ridiculous, missing the point much?

• Oh I dunno, kindness and tolerance much?
        Eh, why bother when hateful sarcasm is so
        much more self-satisfying.

• Anarchy Pony | Feb 6, 2012 at 5:35 pm |

Taking it personal much? Talking about kindness and tolerance after blathering about sticking forks in asses and calling something pointless garbage? Hilarious. I didn’t call your mother a herpes infected prostitute did I? No, I used a mildly sarcastic comment to illustrate that you are missing the point. Hateful? Gimme a break.

7. Well, it must be said, Clint has a point. America really is like a pro footbal game. A bunch of otherwise normal humans have been artificially split into two sides, each hating the other with great fury. Meanwhile, the owners rake in huge profits from stoking the resulting discord and strife. Now it’s halftime, and a corrupted religious figure has come to stuff it’s tits in our faces and ask us to buy sugar water.

8. Firecaptain | Feb 6, 2012 at 4:13 pm |

If more people believed what “Clint” was saying and took it to heart, we might have a chance.  There’s only one thing killing America, it’s called “giving up”.  So all you pansy asses out there that have…you know where the door is.

• Calypso_1 | Feb 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm |

‘giving up’….bullshit its called ‘don’t have a goddamned clue’.  If americans would wake up then things like prosports and consumer propoganda wouldn’t hold the slightest of fixations within their minds.

• Anarchy Pony | Feb 6, 2012 at 4:39 pm |

Yay! Tough guy act means you are right and all others are wrong, despite your sophomoric analysis.

•  Giving up at what?

• I dunno, I think pointing to Detroit knowing full and well that Obama bailed them out , again going against the any legal allowance of the Constitution is not very American.  It is essentially propaganda and it also puts the onus on the working class to buck up and grit their teeth at the wheel with no mention of the billions and trillions just miraculously conjured and given away by the so called elite.  Hardly “American” and yet totally “American” at the same time.  We need to clarify this whole “American” thing.  I respect the ideas of the founding fathers and of the Bill of Rights and Constitution.  I don’t think a rather empty homage to “Americana” that is really just a pr stunt by a car company really helps people understand what they are up against.  Just my two cents.

• ThatGuyOverThere | Feb 7, 2012 at 12:16 am |

Well that’s the thing then isn’t it. The whole perception of Americanism is basically a propaganda ploy, if you look into the history of PR you find that the sort of modern american identity comes into being around WWI, invented by the people who were the pioneers of public relations and perception management, namely that chap Bernays, in order to create a mass acceptance to entry into the war.

9. Hadrian999 | Feb 7, 2012 at 12:06 am |

anything that pisses off carl rove I can’t totally dislike

10. Wow that was the most emotional car ad I’ve ever seen.

11. Gregory Wyrdmaven | Feb 7, 2012 at 9:10 am |

Actually, when you compare what America has been to the articles that were used to found it…we’re still in the locker room trying to develop a game plan.  In fact, we’re now being “locked out” by ideological groups that want to change how the game is played altogether.

No, Clint…the success of America is not about how many cars we sell.  It’s about the punks.

12. Clint should have went the way of ole Ron and went for the presidency.